Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2302282 times)

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #1125 on: April 18, 2015, 10:29:44 pm »
I wonder if they get dimmer over time like most cheap Chinese leds.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #1126 on: April 18, 2015, 10:59:26 pm »
I just received four ^-^

PICS AFTER INSTALL.  :-/O

It'll be a little while - just realized the transformer I'm using to drive the current LEDs would be overloaded by about 100% with these, so I've got to cobble together a new power supply.

I wonder if they get dimmer over time like most cheap Chinese leds.

Hmm. I wonder if that is more prone to happening if they're driven harder. These are marketed for automotive use, where the voltage is in the upper 13s, but I'll probably be running them at 12V. The difference in heat output is not insignificant between those voltages.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1127 on: April 18, 2015, 11:07:15 pm »
Hmm. I wonder if that is more prone to happening if they're driven harder. These are marketed for automotive use, where the voltage is in the upper 13s, but I'll probably be running them at 12V. The difference in heat output is not insignificant between those voltages.

Yea, I'm using 12V and I did go up to 13.8, and as expected they get hotter and brighter at 13.8. 12V is plenty bright for my use.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1128 on: April 18, 2015, 11:17:02 pm »
My workspace:
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1129 on: April 18, 2015, 11:31:33 pm »
My workspace:

Oh man! I see all sorts of fun stuff there!  :clap:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #1130 on: April 19, 2015, 02:15:43 pm »
I just received four ^-^

PICS AFTER INSTALL.  :-/O

It'll be a little while - just realized the transformer I'm using to drive the current LEDs would be overloaded by about 100% with these, so I've got to cobble together a new power supply.

Cobbled together for sure! I present to you the Best Buck Converter Ever:
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1131 on: April 19, 2015, 07:36:40 pm »
I've been working this whole weekend on my little corner in the basement, made the table and all the stuff around it. :phew:
I thought about putting shelves on the wall but apparently the wall itself is made antirely of cement and rocks, which makes drilling through it impossible.   |O

The light looks bright but it's just a 15W tube.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 07:40:15 pm by Refrigerator »
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1132 on: April 19, 2015, 07:53:01 pm »
I thought about putting shelves on the wall but apparently the wall itself is made antirely of cement and rocks, which makes drilling through it impossible.   |O
Why can't you use a masonry bit and install the brackets with some sort of metal expansion anchor:-//

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1133 on: April 19, 2015, 07:56:56 pm »
Concrete means go borrow a SDS drill and make the holes for steel rod ( 12mm diameter) and put floating shelves up.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1134 on: April 19, 2015, 08:44:03 pm »
I've been working this whole weekend on my little corner in the basement, made the table and all the stuff around it. :phew:
I thought about putting shelves on the wall but apparently the wall itself is made antirely of cement and rocks, which makes drilling through it impossible.

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1135 on: April 19, 2015, 09:04:47 pm »
Yeah, i have one of those hammer drill things ( forgot how it's called in english ) mine's 1200W i just need to find where my brother put it.
I tried to do it with a standard concrete drill but it won't go any further than 1 cm.
Now i need to save up some more money for the angles and screws and such ( being a 10th grader budget is quite low ).
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1136 on: April 20, 2015, 04:08:06 am »
Yeah, i have one of those hammer drill things ( forgot how it's called in english ) mine's 1200W i just need to find where my brother put it.
I tried to do it with a standard concrete drill but it won't go any further than 1 cm.
Now i need to save up some more money for the angles and screws and such ( being a 10th grader budget is quite low ).
They are called hammer drills in English.  ;)

As per the depth, did you hit reinforcing steel by chance?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1137 on: April 20, 2015, 04:38:41 am »
The SDS drill illustrated above will go through steel reinforcing, rock and such quite easily. solid granite boulders however do take some time to drill through, you are drilling through some of the hardest rock on earth.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1138 on: April 20, 2015, 04:54:35 am »
The SDS drill illustrated above will go through steel reinforcing, rock and such quite easily. solid granite boulders however do take some time to drill through, you are drilling through some of the hardest rock on earth.
I read Refrigerator's post as only a standard drill has been used thus far, not a hammer drill.

As per the material, I wasn't thinking of granite (or large stones of any kind at all) based on appearance of mortar/concrete in photo (looks like it was poured into form mold made of planks, so thinking it's early post-war concrete construction).

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1139 on: April 20, 2015, 05:01:34 am »
A hammer drill with the right bit will drill a hole in solid granite suitable for a typical small expansion bolt quite quickly. Rock climbers do this all the time.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1140 on: April 20, 2015, 09:29:01 am »

what kind of hammer drill and drill bit are you using to go through the reinforcing steel ? 10-15+ mm reinforcing bars are pretty common here and hitting one means a lot of swearing and choosing a different place for the hole :D

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1141 on: April 20, 2015, 12:29:43 pm »

what kind of hammer drill and drill bit are you using to go through the reinforcing steel ? 10-15+ mm reinforcing bars are pretty common here and hitting one means a lot of swearing and choosing a different place for the hole :D
Nope, no reinforcing steel here, when i have time i'll go find my hammer drill and put holes in that wall.  :-+

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #1142 on: April 20, 2015, 12:34:06 pm »
I thought about putting shelves on the wall but apparently the wall itself is made antirely of cement and rocks, which makes drilling through it impossible.

Hey X, must be nice having one of those.  Many years ago as a teenager into CB radio, my parents let me have a station at home.  The radio was in the finished basement of an almost 100 year old house with a fairly thick stone foundation and to get the coax inside, my dearly departed father handed me a hammer and a cold chisel and said have at it.  Since the tip of the chisel was a cross point, he said to make sure I rotated it every couple of strikes.  What I would have given to have a Bosch like that.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1143 on: April 20, 2015, 06:20:27 pm »
I have used a star chisel and 4lb hammer to drill a hole. not recommended. The Bosch SDS with the Bosch bits will go through reinforcing with a little extra delay, I was using a very large one ( rental tool, I do not have a SDS drill that would do a 75mm hole through 400mm of concrete) and after about a half hour I heard a different note, and after the large plug fell out I found I had cut through a piece of 25mm rebar making the hole.

Not as bad as when I called "rent a hole" to do some 110mm holes for new drains, they broke 2 thin wall diamond cutters making the one hole. When I was getting a drain made Ivan the plumber dropped off Bongani, with a chisel and a 4lb hammer, and made an outline where he wanted the drain cover plate, and went off to the next job. I called Ivan about a half hour later and Bongani said " Hau Baas, faga lo jackhammer manje" ( boss, bring the big jackhammer now). He took 2 days with that to make the hole, as the concrete floor there was also cast 400mm thick over the sand, with reinforcing, mesh and sheet steel shuttering under it still. When we dug down to the sewer line we found out we didn't really need those 200 bricks either for the manhole, as we got over 400 used bricks out of the hole, along with the sand for the cement. When we were at the sewer level we also got sea water as the tide came in.

Offline R. Johnson

« Reply #1144 on: April 20, 2015, 06:39:16 pm »
Have you thought about hanging the shelves from the rafters? That's what I plan to do in my basement lab. I had enough fun drilling the relatively small holes in the concrete for the electrical conduit anchors.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1145 on: April 20, 2015, 10:55:10 pm »
Yea, I'm using 12V and I did go up to 13.8, and as expected they get hotter and brighter at 13.8. 12V is plenty bright for my use.

How much current do they draw?

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1146 on: April 20, 2015, 11:07:10 pm »
How much current do they draw?

Two of them were running at a little over 1 amp.

Offline gore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1147 on: April 21, 2015, 08:23:17 pm »
I'm about to finish off a small bench for small scale projects and research. There isn't much room for more equipment on the bench itself, but it's enough for its purpose. I might build a small platform if need be. There's more equipment on the other side of the shot (drill press and other stuff). I took Dave's advice from his diy acoustic panels video and built a few to ease off the reflections. Most of them went to another area where sound recording is relevant, but a few of these panels stayed in the bench area to good effect. Well, that's about it. Oh, notice the book. It's a beast! I just got it today in my mail and I couldn't be happier! ;D

Offline gore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1148 on: April 21, 2015, 08:24:56 pm »
A few more shots.

Offline RoboTechEd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1149 on: April 21, 2015, 08:30:47 pm »
I'm about to finish off a small bench for small scale projects and research. There isn't much room for more equipment on the bench itself, but it's enough for its purpose. I might build a small platform if need be. There's more equipment on the other side of the shot (drill press and other stuff). I took Dave's advice from his diy acoustic panels video and built a few to ease off the reflections. Most of them went to another area where sound recording is relevant, but a few of these panels stayed in the bench area to good effect. Well, that's about it. Oh, notice the book. It's a beast! I just got it today in my mail and I couldn't be happier! ;D

What a transformation! Looks like a good use of space. May be hard to work and read your bible there at the same time htough considering it takes up 50% of your usable space ;) . Loving the fact that it's next to a window though. Must be nice to work on projects during a nice day outside

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf