Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3088652 times)

Offline ccs46

• Regular Contributor
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #5475 on: May 24, 2016, 11:06:38 am »
Still no official "Batteroo vs Energizer" update on indegogo
No Facebook updates of any kind since 8th May
No Indegogo comment replies since April

Are they just giving up?  hoping all this will go away?  Burying their heads in the sand ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet. - Scott Adams

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5476 on: May 25, 2016, 06:28:05 am »
Still no official "Batteroo vs Energizer" update on indegogo
No Facebook updates of any kind since 8th May
No Indegogo comment replies since April

Are they just giving up?
  hoping all this will go away?  Burying their heads in the sand ?

Yes.

With all that has happened, the path of preference would seem to be that they want the whole fiasco fade from consciousness and "go quietly into the night".

With such a small amount involved from individual contributors, it's rather likely people will just write it off

... and they will get their wish.

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5477 on: May 25, 2016, 10:22:29 am »
Short of another kick up the arse from IGG, which seems to have prompted their recent updates, it's looking more likely that we won't get another update. They will just let it die.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5478 on: May 25, 2016, 11:03:54 am »
Short of another kick up the arse from IGG, which seems to have prompted their recent updates, it's looking more likely that we won't get another update. They will just let it die.

I wonder if all the media outlets and "tech" websites who gushed over it will have anything to say?  Hopefuly your mate at the SMH will do a little follow-up at least...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5479 on: May 25, 2016, 11:58:00 am »
I wonder if all the media outlets and "tech" websites who gushed over it will have anything to say?  Hopefuly your mate at the SMH will do a little follow-up at least...

Yep.

We need to start bothering people like the CNet editors who gave this a "Product of the Year" award before it was even available.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #5480 on: May 25, 2016, 04:13:43 pm »
I guess many tech websites don't care. All they want is ad views and ad clicks and of course you get this, if you write about an impossible product, because there are many people out there who don't know electronics and physics basics who visit these sites. And probably the writers are minimum wage payed people with minimum knowledge, too, who are happy to copy any press release from companies without verifying.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5481 on: May 25, 2016, 04:38:45 pm »

Yep.

We need to start bothering people like the CNet editors who gave this a "Product of the Year" award before it was even available.

As an ex-journo I find this interesting and/or disturbing.

Let me set the scene. I used to work on the, arguably better end, of news-stand computer magazines in the UK and we used to take great pains to try and get things right. I've often heard it opined by members of the public that advertising has an effect on editorial content but I can tell you that hard battles were fought with anyone (advertising, publishers, manufacturers who provided review equipment) to stop this happening and I can't think of a single instance where editorial didn't win the day. Note that I can only speak for the UK magazines that I worked on as staff (PC Magazine, pub. Ziff-Davis, PC Pro, pub. Dennis) and sister journals from the same publishers (which in the case of Ziff-Davis includes Ziff-Davis USA which had a very strong, almost religious, culture of editorial independence). That is,  I'm saying I can only strictly speak for the places where I've actually witnessed the battles first hand but I have no doubt that much the same happened at most similar publishers.

We used to take awards very seriously, and all - right down to the 'best in test' in each and every issue -  had strict rules around them. We took them seriously because readers genuinely relied on them and took notice of them1. The least of these rules was that a product, as awarded, had to be shipping and had to continue being shipped in the reviewed configuration for a certain minimum period. At PC Pro, we named and shamed anyone who broke the rules under the sobriquet 'sharks' - yes, we got quite a lot of letters from lawyers, they didn't change things.

Now I'm very grateful for the online 'press' such as we might call them. Increasingly I find that I'm getting a much broader, much more detailed and much more accurate version of 'The News' from online sources than I do from the so called main stream media (MSM). Often important stories are missing from the MSM that do show up from online sources.

The question for me is, evidenced by the type of actions such as CNet's described above, where are the journalistic ethics that I have seen played out in the past and what can be done to restore them? We had our ethics because we felt it was our job to serve the readers and they were largely self-policed as part of our own journo culture and ethos. Thus they were largely invisible to outsiders except in the quality of the work we produced. The quality of the work produced by CNet and others who have uncritically endorsed Batteroo, Triton et al indicates that there is a fundamental problem with the ethics and ethos of, at least some, online tech news outlets.

1 There are a number of reasons I know readers took these awards seriously. One is that a little known UK PC manufacturer called Panrix just about tripled their turnover after getting awarded one of the best in test categories in the first ever issue of PC Pro. And this before we'd had a chance to build a reputation with our readers - to be fair we probably carried some readers over as we 'incorporated' a title that was killed the same month as we launched.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: samgab

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5482 on: May 25, 2016, 05:32:31 pm »
http://sktainnopartners.com/welcome-to-batteroo/

It has been 15 months since SK took in Bros. Roohparvar. I wonder how long it will take for SK to unfriend them and write off the investment? 

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5483 on: May 25, 2016, 07:27:44 pm »

Yep.

As an ex-journo I find this interesting and/or disturbing.

I don't think we should class the staff at CNET et al in the same mould of journalist as you were previously.  As has been mentioned, they are seem to be employed just to churn out quantity, and the most efficient way to do that is good old ctrl+c / ctrl+v from the bumf supplied by the snake-oil peddler...

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #5484 on: May 25, 2016, 10:44:28 pm »
I don't think we should class the staff at CNET et al in the same mould of journalist as you were previously.  As has been mentioned, they are seem to be employed just to churn out quantity, and the most efficient way to do that is good old ctrl+c / ctrl+v from the bumf supplied by the snake-oil peddler...
Now, there's a naming opportunity...
Ctrl-C.net
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #5485 on: May 26, 2016, 12:31:44 am »

The question for me is, evidenced by the type of actions such as CNet's described above, where are the journalistic ethics that I have seen played out in the past and what can be done to restore them?

Here is where they went  and they will never be restored

https://youtu.be/y2X2JGT0Usc?t=26

At least some good comes from it
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5486 on: May 26, 2016, 03:07:53 am »
Hi,

Just in case you missed,(and just in case it gets deleted), Marcel posted this comment on the IGG campaign:

It will be interesting to see if there is a response.

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5487 on: May 26, 2016, 10:19:08 am »
It has been 15 months since SK took in Bros. Roohparvar. I wonder how long it will take for SK to unfriend them and write off the investment?

Maybe they already have?

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5488 on: May 26, 2016, 02:54:28 pm »

Maybe they already have?

Likely, SK just hasn't updated the website as Batteroo is still shown as part of the portfolio.

There could still be some type of quiet effort to sell off the "IP" to some witless investors who can't perform a Google search.

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5489 on: May 26, 2016, 03:58:59 pm »
Hi,

I can't remember or find (with a half-hearted search attempt) the size of SK Telecom's stake in Batteroo. I think I remember that it was up to $1M, but it was not all cash, It was accommodation, legal services etc. I did find a press release indicating that Min Park and two others were added to Batteroo's board of directors:

http://batteriser.com/batteroo-names-three-new-members-to-its-board-of-directors/

So it not really clear how big an investment SK Telecom has in Batteroo.

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #5490 on: May 31, 2016, 05:10:16 am »
Are you telling me that after all this time waiting to get our hands on an actual Batteriser to debunk the science, it will be shut down by a stupid trademark lawsuit by a Big Battery company?  |O  ... This will just add to all the conspiracy theories....

Come on Batteroo.... Just get out a metal-stamp cutter and chop out some more of the sleeve to obfuscate the lettering. I'm sure you can turn "BATTERISER" into some gibberish if you stamp out a few more holes and lines around the letters.... Make you "S" into an "8, or your "I" into a "T".... You could be the BATTERT8ER (sounds like "Battertater") that is nothing like "Energizer".

Batteroo... if you're listening.... Just stamp out the letters on the sleeves and send them even without any labelled packages to all your backers. The world needs to evaluate their performance, and not just feed the conspiracy that some large corporation has yet again crushed a revolutionary invention because they were afraid of the competition and the loss of revenue from people buying batteries.  :wtf:
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #5491 on: May 31, 2016, 05:45:27 am »
Batteroo... if you're listening....

I am sure they are - and getting a good laugh while they spend the sponsor's money.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #5492 on: May 31, 2016, 07:25:29 am »
Those DVDs (Bee Bright - On The Farm) are fantastic. The muck spreading one is my sons favorite. But, all of them are excellent. One of those purchases you get for your children and end up learning so much.

The question for me is, evidenced by the type of actions such as CNet's described above, where are the journalistic ethics that I have seen played out in the past and what can be done to restore them?

Here is where they went  and they will never be restored

https://youtu.be/y2X2JGT0Usc?t=26

At least some good comes from it

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5493 on: May 31, 2016, 08:04:15 am »
Are you telling me that after all this time waiting to get our hands on an actual Batteriser to debunk the science, it will be shut down by a stupid trademark lawsuit by a Big Battery company?  |O

My bet is that they opened the special bottle and clinked glasses when that letter arrived in their office.

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #5494 on: May 31, 2016, 08:16:38 am »

I hope for them it was limited to funding a new office door and patching the wall, so they could use that office again for something sensible  :-DD

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5495 on: June 01, 2016, 03:05:58 am »

I hope for them it was limited to funding a new office door and patching the wall, so they could use that office again for something sensible  :-DD

Just buy him a tub of this...

800% better!

Offline ccs46

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5496 on: June 01, 2016, 03:13:38 am »

Just buy him a tub of this...

800% better!
Does it dry 800% faster?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet. - Scott Adams

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5497 on: June 01, 2016, 03:45:52 am »
Batteroo... if you're listening.... Just stamp out the letters on the sleeves and send them even without any labelled packages to all your backers. The world needs to evaluate their performance, and not just feed the conspiracy that some large corporation has yet again crushed a revolutionary invention because they were afraid of the competition and the loss of revenue from people buying batteries.  :wtf:

Heck, just release one into the wild so it can be measured. Where are those media units promised?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5498 on: June 01, 2016, 03:50:58 am »
... or even a final pre-production prototype ... ANYTHING!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5499 on: June 01, 2016, 04:08:03 am »
I can't remember or find (with a half-hearted search attempt) the size of SK Telecom's stake in Batteroo.

"Shorter Time To Money horizons"  :-DD
Not Time To Market, Time To Money

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf