Author Topic: NanoVNA Custom Software  (Read 471283 times)

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: NanoVNA Custom Software
« Reply #1125 on: June 27, 2021, 07:27:18 am »
Looking at the LibreVNA, it seems like they are having problems with their software and firmware.  While the moderators of some of the groups (for example https://groups.io/g/NanoVNAV2) have chosen to make them private (which I see it as a dick move),  the LibreVNA group seems to want to sensor the posts.  That was enough to turn me off of it.   Hopefully OWOs team will roll something out that can measure lower frequencies,  with a higher resolution (at least at lower frequencies) and an increased upper frequency range beyond the capabilities of the V2Plus4.   Even if they kept it closed source, as long at the interface is documented,  I would get one based on my experience with the V2Plus4.   Even if they just improved the V2Plus4 to allow it to fully replace the original NanoVNA, I would get one.   

Hi Joe,
Regarding the LibreVNA group at groups.io.
I have asked Jan about Your case and he told me that this group had been created before the official LibreVNA group started and is moderated by unknown person, so this is unofficial group and even the creator of VNA (Jan) could do nothing with it.

Sorry to hear that,
Alex

Hello Alex. 
Outside of yourself and a few others asking me about it, I wouldn't have attempted to join the LibreVNA group and post.  I no longer follow it's progress.   

For those of you interested in getting a glimpse of the latest software for the NanoVNA, here you go.   I hope to have the software uploaded soon.  I plan to leave the latest 1.x releases.   

The following users thanked this post: croma641, TheDane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1126 on: June 27, 2021, 04:22:28 pm »
The software that I used to create the video is now available at:   
https://github.com/joeqsmith

I have not yet uploaded the software for the V2Plus4.  It will need some runtime first but it should be available in the next day or so.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1127 on: June 27, 2021, 07:25:58 pm »
Hi Joe,
Just a short comment to make the things clear. What's concerning the LibreVNA group at groups.io.
I have asked Jan and he told me that this is unofficial group. It had been created by unknown person before the official LibreVNA group started, so nothing could be done about it.
In any case, You can reach Jan directly.

If you go to the designer's github account :
https://github.com/jankae/LibreVNA

Under Quick Start,  "For general questions or discussions, the LibreVNA group is probably the best place."
The link points to https://groups.io/g/LibreVNA
This is the only group I am aware of.  If there is now an official group as you suggest that is no longer censoring the posts, please provide the link to it.   You may want to suggest that the designer also provide that new link from their git account as well.

OWO chimed in on their new design as well and provided the following link:   
https://nanorfe.com/nanovna-v3.html

Preliminary specifications:
    100kHz - 6GHz frequency range without using harmonics    (I would like to see 10kHz or lower and at least provide the resolution of the original NanoVNA.)
    120dB dynamic range to 3GHz, 100dB dynamic range to 6GHz   (120dB ??!!  If it could do that at 10kHz, it opens up a whole new market)
        Higher dynamic range at 6GHz compared to 50dB dynamic range of existing open source VNAs 
    0.01dB trace noise
    0.1dB typical measurement uncertainty (neglecting cal kit errors)
        Superior linearity error compared to existing 6GHz open source VNAs
    10k points/s maximum sweep speed     (Now we're talking. )
    Full two port - measures S11, S21, S12, S22   
    Adjustable IFBW from 10Hz to 100kHz - can measure narrowband devices
    Supports Unknown Thru and other advanced calibration methods
    Supports NanoVNA-QT and NanoVNA-Saver software  (Don't care)
    TDR with millimeter level resolution   (Ditch that LCD and let the PC do its thing)
    Estimated price $400   (If it ran down to 10kHz with decent resolution,  I know a few people that are going to be very interested in it.)
    Discussion group: https://groups.io/g/NanoVNAV3

Offline Alextsu

• Contributor
« Reply #1128 on: June 28, 2021, 04:36:29 am »
Thanks for pointing it out, great specs.
It sounds like the new design from OWO would outperform all others.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 08:38:10 pm by Alextsu »

Offline Knuddel

• Contributor
« Reply #1129 on: June 28, 2021, 07:53:36 am »
Hi Joe,

unfortunately there is no CMT availabe in the company laboratories for this PDN ground loop breaking measurement stuff.
So there is nothing to borrow and I need to build it by my own, too.
I have both like you the original NanoVNA-H and the V2plus4 and I strictly only want to use your firmware/software version combination. (Nevertheless, higher data rate would be a desiarable goal, of course...)
For this output resistance measurement / PDN I found a hint to break the loop with some active stuff is possible, too.
This may be possible below your final CMT budget of 200$
Most of your cost for your CMT-design are for the SMA-connectors that is not only for low ohmic resistance, is it?

I also checked the NanoVNA-H schematics if breaking the ground connection of X2 is another way.
Seems that the mixer SA612AD inputs are decoupled anyhow and the X2 ground  may be set to 'semi-floating' with some aditional passive components... (That's touching my knowledge limit but stimulates my curiosity:)

Anyway, thanks for uploading the software!!! I need to try it as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 10:54:30 am by Knuddel »

Offline TheDane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1130 on: June 28, 2021, 02:50:08 pm »
Hello Joe,

Thank you for updating your software and making an interesting video.
I have downloaded the new software and renamed + replaced it with the original .exe which was included in the installer.
The original works fine, it finds my S-A-A V2 / V2.2 fine - here is what it reports: NanoVNA V2+, Protocol 1, FW 1.2
The new, and even the older versions, will not make the VNA go into 'USB MODE' and in your software the link button goes orange, but the green light never lights up.

I looked into your documentation, and it says it supports the original and V2 Plus, but there is no info on revision 0.1
- is the V2.2 supported in the new 2.0 software?
- if not, can you make it compatible with the V2.2?

Thanks, it is an awesome tool!
Egon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1131 on: June 28, 2021, 03:07:00 pm »
Thanks to pointing it out, John.
Yes I had seen the Owo's v.3 newest VNA design specs.
It sounds like the new design from OWO would outperform all present ones.
This really makes no sense to waste time trying to adopt the software for other VNA's.
I should agree with You

As long as the firmware and hardware are stable and the interface is well documented, it's been fairly easy to port the software to different VNAs.  As long as there is open communication, we can work around it.  With the LibreVNA, they chose to censor the posts.  That's really the deal-breaker. 

So far, I have not seen that with OWOs group.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1132 on: June 28, 2021, 03:45:41 pm »
Hi Joe,

unfortunately there is no CMT availabe in the company laboratories for this PDN ground loop breaking measurement stuff.
So there is nothing to borrow and I need to build it by my own, too.
I have both like you the original NanoVNA-H and the V2plus4 and I strictly only want to use your firmware/software version combination. (Nevertheless, higher data rate would be a desiarable goal, of course...)
For this output resistance measurement / PDN I found a hint to break the loop with some active stuff is possible, too.
This may be possible below your final CMT budget of 200$
Most of your cost for your CMT-design are for the SMA-connectors that is not only for low ohmic resistance, is it?

I also checked the NanoVNA-H schematics if breaking the ground connection of X2 is another way.
Seems that the mixer SA612AD inputs are decoupled anyhow and the X2 ground  may be set to 'semi-floating' with some aditional passive components... (That's touching my knowledge limit but stimulates my curiosity:)

Anyway, thanks for uploading the software!!! I need to try it as soon as possible.

For the H4, I suggest you read the following few posts before spending too much time with it.   
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg3586023/#msg3586023

The last transformer was the highest cost.  Around $200 or so.  $100 just for the two connectors.   The SMAs I used are less expensive.   The tape wound cores are also very expensive.   You don't need a box with bulkhead connectors.  You may be able to find some good cores in some old power supplies at the scrap yard.  Maybe consider trying some really inexpensive connectors from China.    Another option is to buy something ready made.

Yes, that op-amp solution was talked about in one of the videos I linked.  The down side is you may want something with with better performance at higher frequencies.  It's all a trade off.   This includes the transformer.   

I see it all as a learning experience and encourage anyone wanting to try it out to just start experimenting.  You don't need to spend a lot of money to learn some basics.   If you need something better, you will be in a better position to make good choices.   Keep in mind,  this whole NanoVNA thing  for me started out with my friend Flipper wanting to spend some coin one a real VNA.   They had no idea how to use one beyond spending a small amount of time with me.   At least now, I think they are smart enough to know what features they need when they finally do buy one.     

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1133 on: June 28, 2021, 04:20:47 pm »
Hello Joe,

Thank you for updating your software and making an interesting video.
I have downloaded the new software and renamed + replaced it with the original .exe which was included in the installer.
The original works fine, it finds my S-A-A V2 / V2.2 fine - here is what it reports: NanoVNA V2+, Protocol 1, FW 1.2
The new, and even the older versions, will not make the VNA go into 'USB MODE' and in your software the link button goes orange, but the green light never lights up.

I looked into your documentation, and it says it supports the original and V2 Plus, but there is no info on revision 0.1
- is the V2.2 supported in the new 2.0 software?
- if not, can you make it compatible with the V2.2?

Thanks, it is an awesome tool!
Egon

Egon,

The only hardware I currently support is the original NanoVNA and V2Plus.  The rest are untested.  The firmware is a total shit show.   

As I explained in the video, 0.1 is used to install the LabView runtime, NIVISA and INI files.  As you have found, 0.1 supports the V2Plus but I am not sure why anyone would use it rather than the latest release.       

The video, documentation, along with my posts should have made it clear that you need to use the software for your specific VNA.   You have downloaded software for the original NanoVNA  and are expecting it to work with the V2Plus.  I'm not sure why you would think that would ever work but believe me, it will not. 

There certainly is a version of 2.0 that supports the V2Plus.  I mentioned it here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/nanovna-custom-software/msg3595962/#msg3595962

The video mentions it not being very useful due to the limitations of the V2Plus design.  Don't expect the software to fix that. 

The following users thanked this post: TheDane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1134 on: June 29, 2021, 12:24:51 am »
I had ran into a minor problem while testing the 2.00 release for the V2Plus4 which could cause problems with slower PCs.  I have made a minor change to turn off the peak detector when a sweep is being performed.  This change was also made to the software for the original NanoVNA.   

They are both available on-line.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1135 on: June 30, 2021, 02:29:21 am »
I ended up rewriting the peak detector to use a recursive algorithm which greatly improved the performance.  No other changes were made.   Both programs have been updated and are available.   

The following users thanked this post: croma641

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1136 on: June 30, 2021, 12:08:59 pm »
I've had a few people recently ask where to find the software. 

Offline Knuddel

• Contributor
« Reply #1137 on: June 30, 2021, 01:45:29 pm »
So this is crazy:
I ordered an original NanoVNA and in fact a Hugen NanoVNA-H (not H4 !) was delivered.
There is some improvements to the -H but not affecting the sampling and software/firmware part.
(Believe the only improvements are in fact the Lion battery, the USB-C and the metal shielding inside. I attached both schematics and there is the same Microcontroller that should behave same if programmed with same firmware, should it?)

It is delivered with the NanoVNA-Q firmware version 1.0.45. (with this it supports down to 10kHz) https://github.com/hugen79/NanoVNA-H
I attached it to Joes software 2.0 and 2.02 and there are no errors and the green light is on and it calibrates and it sets the start and stop frequencies correctly even in segmented sweep but it never displays any curve in any of all the main windows graphs nor in the advanced bode graph.

As the hardware is said to be compatible I installed edy555 0.8.0 https://github.com/ttrftech/NanoVNA/releases/tag/0.8.0 transferred with STs DFU file manager from hex to dfu format and flashed with DfuSe but exactly same behavior. (with this version curiously the standalone device as well as with Joes Software only supports down to 50kHz.)

With this one https://github.com/qrp73/NanoVNA-Q it goes again down to 10kHz.

Now I am curious which version you are using with your original "NanoVNA" . Thought you stuck at the edy555 0.8.0, but this starts at 50kHz !?

« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 03:49:45 pm by Knuddel »

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1138 on: June 30, 2021, 03:05:17 pm »
Tell me you hit the sweep button.

Offline Knuddel

• Contributor
« Reply #1139 on: June 30, 2021, 03:29:44 pm »
Yes, I did a segmented sweep in the picture case.
But there is may be a problem with the autoscaling?
Because after connecting with the Link-Button and first time press the Sweep-Button the Graph scales somehow once.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 03:39:51 pm by Knuddel »

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1140 on: June 30, 2021, 03:38:14 pm »
Above my pay grade.
Your pic above my first reply did not have the upper right sweep button engaged.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 03:40:17 pm by purpose »

Offline Knuddel

• Contributor
« Reply #1141 on: June 30, 2021, 03:42:09 pm »
Don't worry.
I'm glad that there is at least you hanging around in this forum to encourage me to keep trying.

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1142 on: June 30, 2021, 03:47:59 pm »
Let me re-read the manual and have a go at a segmented sweep, as I've never tried it.
BIAB.

Offline Knuddel

• Contributor
« Reply #1143 on: June 30, 2021, 03:53:10 pm »
Which nano do you have?
-H
-H4
without any H ?

It is not related to the segmented sweep, there is no graph displayed at all. It only updates inside the Nanos display.

The data is continuously refreshed in the Setup/Diagnosis->DumpTerminal window
but
it is not updated in the NanoVNA Raw Data window.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 04:09:57 pm by Knuddel »

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1144 on: June 30, 2021, 04:17:57 pm »

It is not related to the segmented sweep, there is no graph displayed at all.

Ah... sorry. I misunderstood.
Hmmm... Does this happen with the older version 1.08?

Offline Knuddel

• Contributor
« Reply #1145 on: June 30, 2021, 04:25:40 pm »
Hi,

thanks for trying! Good to knew that this works with 1.0.64 .

Yes, it does the same strange things with the V1.08

But seems that the Raw data is somehow out of range as shown in the attached picture.
Is it related to this INI-File stuff?

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1146 on: June 30, 2021, 04:30:12 pm »
Is it related to this INI-File stuff?

I wouldn't have a clue. I just like looking at the pretty squiggles.

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1147 on: June 30, 2021, 04:43:33 pm »
One last question... Did you download and install https://github.com/joeqsmith/NanoVNA_Software/releases/tag/0.10 before you opened up 2.02?

Offline Knuddel

• Contributor
« Reply #1148 on: June 30, 2021, 05:14:03 pm »
No.
I had already some LabVIEW Runtime versions installed. And VISA was installed, too.
So I only had install the 2011 Runtime and then the V1p04 sofware for the V2plus4 worked.
You are right:
I may need to try the Software V2p01 with the V2plus4, now, to check if this still works.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 07:23:29 am by Knuddel »

Offline purpose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1149 on: June 30, 2021, 05:22:10 pm »

I may need to try the Software V2.02 with the V2plus4, now, to check if this still works.

I believe the plus requires a different version of software, but no harm trying.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf