Author Topic: NanoVNA Custom Software  (Read 471272 times)

Offline Fred_B

• Contributor
Re: NanoVNA Custom Software
« Reply #2250 on: September 03, 2023, 03:30:01 am »
I'm just using the touchstone files I created from the sim models I made of the supplied standards, basically a models of the male standards with the thru attached so that it goes on the end of the 300mm cables.

From what I've seen so far, I would expect the more the bandwidth of the sweep is increased the more bumpy the measurements are going to get. I'm sweeping in 10 kHz steps for that. I'm working on the UHF band now in 50 kHz steps. 20x averaging for everything.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 03:33:51 am by Fred_B »

Offline Slide_Lock

• Contributor
« Reply #2251 on: September 03, 2023, 06:02:44 am »
Yes sir....Giant red flag here, with the new user account. Sorry about that but I have been reading this blog for hours trying to find the answer(s).
I have a LiteVNA and would love to be able to get @joeqsmith 's software installed properly but come up short.

The steps I believe i need to follow are installing the original NanoVNA V2 software with the included packages, and then moving the requisite .exe's from the more current version of the software into the root directory.

My issue is that @joeqsmith github seems to be gone. I get a 404 Webpage not found on github when clicking on any link(s) that point to the original, and have not had any luck trying to search github for the same.

Forgive me if this has been beaten to death.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am on Windows 11 .

Thank you so much in advance for any help offered.

Respectfully,

Offline wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2252 on: September 03, 2023, 06:09:58 am »
Obviously your hours of reading have not included the last few pages of this topic in which joeqsmith has explained that the files are no longer on github. His sig contains a link to their new location.

Offline Slide_Lock

• Contributor
« Reply #2253 on: September 03, 2023, 04:21:44 pm »
Obviously your hours of reading have not included the last few pages of this topic in which joeqsmith has explained that the files are no longer on github. His sig contains a link to their new location.

Obviously you haven't actually looked at his dropbox any time recently. on page 18 of his manual, in RED type the following instructions/options are given:

"As of version 1.0 there are now two separate programs. One supports the original NanoVNA
and the other supports the new V2+. The installer, .INI, runtime engine and VISA drivers will
no longer be included. You may download these directly from NI, or just install the original
release of the V2+ software
. Once these are installed, copy the executable files to your
directory." (Which I referenced in my original post, clearly indicating I had in fact found and read the dropbox)

Problem with THAT instruction, is that the "original release of the V2+" version of the software/installation package is not listed in the dropbox. There is a Solver64 directory, a NanoVNA directory and an NI_Runtime_VISA directory. NOWHERE in the dropbox link, is "original release of the V2+ software" listed. Are we supposed to assume that the NanoVNA directory is the "Original V2 version" ?

Perhaps you can see the dichotomy?

Lastly, if YOU had actually read the last few pages of this thread, you would (or at least should have) seen THIS reply by Joe where he clearly states that he uses github:

GitHub is really for application development teams and individuals who compile applications from source code. For people who just want to grab a pre-compiled binary and go it is a good bit of a hassle. Have you had a look at Sourceforge?

No.  Only Github.  Easy for me and I suspect for most of the youth who grew up with PCs.  Nearly impossible for the old hams, even with explicit instructions.   They need something that works like their PC file manager.   Google Drive, Microsoft One Drive, Dropbox.   Of course we do have a few special people that try and use their cell phones.

P.S. the really interesting clue contained in all of ^ that....is the date/timestamp, which is what? 3 or 4 days ago now?

Restraint of pen and tongue is a conditioned response. Perhaps combined with a little humility, you will get there someday.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 06:03:16 pm by Slide_Lock »

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #2254 on: September 03, 2023, 06:12:31 pm »
@Slide_Lock
Check out Joes recent video about the Dropbox move

He states that the NanoVNA folder on Dropbox includes the files that were up on Github and that may be what you want
He also states he isn't intending to update the manual and that any support is worth what you paid for the software (or something like that)...
So you may have to watch that video and make some educated guesses.

Offline wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2255 on: September 03, 2023, 06:54:12 pm »

Obviously you haven't actually looked at his dropbox any time recently.
Obviously I have looked.  How else could I have downloaded the files you seek within the last three days?  Joeqsmith akso stated in a very recent post, which your hours of reading missed, about the manual being out of date and that he will not be updating it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 06:56:35 pm by wasedadoc »

Offline Slide_Lock

• Contributor
« Reply #2256 on: September 03, 2023, 08:04:13 pm »
@Slide_Lock
Check out Joes recent video about the Dropbox move

<snip>

He states that the NanoVNA folder on Dropbox includes the files that were up on Github and that may be what you want
He also states he isn't intending to update the manual and that any support is worth what you paid for the software (or something like that)...
So you may have to watch that video and make some educated guesses.

Thank you so much for the courteous reply.

Offline Slide_Lock

• Contributor
« Reply #2257 on: September 03, 2023, 08:06:03 pm »

Obviously you haven't actually looked at his dropbox any time recently.
Obviously I have looked.  How else could I have downloaded the files you seek within the last three days?  Joeqsmith akso stated in a very recent post, which your hours of reading missed, about the manual being out of date and that he will not be updating it.

It's ok man. You seem cranky. I hope you have a better day today than you appear to have had yesterday.

Offline Slide_Lock

• Contributor
« Reply #2258 on: September 03, 2023, 09:33:55 pm »
So this is the error I get when trying to run Solver64:

I was unable to locate this specific file on NI which is referenced in the dropbox readme: "ni-labview-2020-runtime-engine_20.1.1_offline.iso"
So I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) based on the compatibility chart provided by NI that the closest version (ni-labview-2020-runtime-engine_20.0.1_offline.iso) I COULD find, would actually work, since it aligns with the VISA compatibility shown here:

Can someone help me understand what the solution might be?

The program launches just fine, however, I cannot link to my LiteVNA, even when selecting the proper com port in the application as confirmed in device manager.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 09:39:06 pm by Slide_Lock »

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2259 on: September 03, 2023, 11:10:29 pm »
Those pesky M-drive stepper motors.   Watch the video...

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline Slide_Lock

• Contributor
« Reply #2260 on: September 04, 2023, 12:03:02 am »
Those pesky M-drive stepper motors.   Watch the video...

Thank you Joe. I did watch the video. The "stage" checkbox was unchecked by default on mine, but I checked it, then un-checked it, saved the defaults and I still cannot connect.

A screenshot of the software on my laptop is shown below.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2261 on: September 04, 2023, 12:16:05 am »
LOL.  So the transfer relay, M-drive stepper motors and the VNA are all one in the same.  That's what you are telling the software.   Odd as Fred made the same mistake just a page or so back.   

Offline Slide_Lock

• Contributor
« Reply #2262 on: September 04, 2023, 12:42:56 am »
LOL.  So the transfer relay, M-drive stepper motors and the VNA are all one in the same.  That's what you are telling the software.   Odd as Fred made the same mistake just a page or so back.

So I read that post and tried what Fred referred to here:
I've figured out how to operate solver better now. I have XferPort and StagePort both set to unused ports. It's prompting for a two port one path cal. I guess, I was just confused about the interface as I got to know it.

But I still get no joy when trying to connect. Below is a screen grab showing the VNA port (COM11) as well as having the Xfer and Stage ports to a random unused port, as well as device manager open in the background confirming that the VNA is on COM11, what else am I missing?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2263 on: September 04, 2023, 01:11:05 am »
And if you search NI's site for the error you posted, what does it tell you?

Code Description −1073807202 VISA or a code library required by VISA could not be located or loaded.

And notice how we have seen this before in your earlier post.   What do you think this means? 

« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 01:13:05 am by joeqsmith »

Offline Slide_Lock

• Contributor
« Reply #2264 on: September 04, 2023, 01:55:47 am »

Code Description −1073807202 VISA or a code library required by VISA could not be located or loaded.

And notice how we have seen this before in your earlier post.   What do you think this means?

Not sure I understand here Joe. In your first reply, you eluded to the "pesky stepper motors". Now you are suggesting something else altogether?

Is it possible for you to be a little more specific? If you know what the issue is, I sure would be grateful if you would share it. It would be nice to skip the word salad guessing game if at all possible.
Not all of us out here are as intimately familiar with NI as you are.

Offline DrNefario

• Contributor
« Reply #2265 on: September 04, 2023, 03:22:07 am »
I have upgraded to the version 4 Solver64.  I have firmware version 1.3.15 loaded on my VNA.  It seems the latest from DiSlord is 1.3.18 and the Solver64 zip folder has a 'firmware' subfolder with 'LiteVNA64 v1.3.12 fix1.bin' .  Which one should we be using?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2266 on: September 04, 2023, 04:39:40 am »
You can use any firmware you like.  Because there is no support, it's up to you to test your setup.  I stopped chasing the firmware of the week club years ago.  Once I find something that works, I don't change it unless there is a very good reason.   I provided the version I test with.   Keep in mind though, some of the features in the unreleased firmware may never have made it into a release (for good reason).  I think that last version removed all the limitations for using harmonics,  which I was using to experiment with the Waveguides.  I was given a warning about it's use and can fully understand not wanting to release something like that to the general user. 

I used to have a simple regression test for the original NanoVNA but because Dislord's firmware was so solid, I never incorporated it into Solver.  So I suspect your risk is low but it's all on you to do your job testing.   If you find a problem, don't expect me to address it.   

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2267 on: September 04, 2023, 04:38:01 pm »

Not sure I understand here Joe. In your first reply, you eluded to the "pesky stepper motors". Now you are suggesting something else altogether?

Is it possible for you to be a little more specific? If you know what the issue is, I sure would be grateful if you would share it. It would be nice to skip the word salad guessing game if at all possible.
Not all of us out here are as intimately familiar with NI as you are.

When I posted 
You will need the correct files and can't just guess.
and
I was already asked about which files to get from NI.  Make sure you READ the readme file in the runtime directory.   This isn't something you can just guess at.
  From your post below, I'm guessing that went over your head.

I was unable to locate this specific file on NI which is referenced in the dropbox readme: "ni-labview-2020-runtime-engine_20.1.1_offline.iso"
So I assumed ...

Offline Slide_Lock

• Contributor
« Reply #2268 on: September 04, 2023, 05:32:25 pm »
joeqsmith

If ^^ THAT is my problem, then why not just say so outloud, in one sentence? I.E. "ni-labview-2020-runtime-engine_20.1.1_offline.iso is the REQUIRED file, and my software will not work with any other variation". perhaps combined with a helpful link to the correct file. Instead, you take 3 or 4 posts to run people in circles, I suspect for your own personal entertainment or enjoyment.

This seems to be a common theme with you Joe. You belittle the HAM radio community for being curious about your software, you obviously spend countless hours quoting peoples posts, and adding mundane irrelevant replies, where you constantly reference your ridiculous out of date manual which you demand people read, all while attempting to cover your bases by proclaiming that you have no intention of updating or maintaining it.

It appears that this software is your best effort at making some kind of a mark in life. It obviously gives you a superiority complex, which is actually a bit sad, because at the end of the day, it is trivial and insignificant. The offshore folks are just going to do it better, and offer their own version of YOUR software that does everything yours can do now and it will be compiled properly, with an installer package, and it will just work AND they will provide it free with the purchase of a new LiteVNA or whatever the flavor of the day is.

At that point, your buggy, nightmare to install app will fade into obscurity, just like you will, and you both will be forgotten. Relegated to the ash heap of history.

YOU will be responsible for that, because had you decided at some point to be friendly, courteous and helpful, as opposed to lourding over this 91 page thread like a J.R. Tolkien trilogy troll, you could have potentially left a positive mark in life, that people would have remembered long after you are gone.

Here is a clue: The only people that transition from GitHub to DropBox, are people who were misusing GitHub as their own personal cloud storage space and were warned, and then told to leave. Developers of real software don't do that.

Here is another clue: If you ever do decide to become even a little bit human with regards to how you interact with people, it might be a good idea, while you are creating a video, to actually stay on topic. Nobody wants to hear over and over again how bitchen you think you are because you created umpteen filters, air-gaps or whatever other insignificant widget you imagined, when the actual topic of your video is: "Solver64 on LiteVNA".  You spin off into unrelated diatribes that have nothing to do with WHY people clicked on your video in the first place. It's nauseating.

In addition to that, I did a quick run back through this entire thread and by far, you have the highest word count. It's not even close, yet oddly enough, there is so little relevant information on how to get your software up and running that it's actually laughable. You spend more time berating, belittling and demeaning people than you do actually helping them, I actually believe that you enjoy it. That is narcissistic and loathesome, and I sure hope you seek help for it at some point.

Good day sir.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2269 on: September 04, 2023, 05:47:28 pm »
ROFLMAO!! 

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #2270 on: September 05, 2023, 02:30:02 am »
 :palm:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2271 on: September 05, 2023, 03:10:46 am »
I released 4.01 which was based on Fred's experience with the serial ports and my attempts to view his exported Touchstone files from QT.   I also noticed that Solver's Touchstone export was still not correct.   I'm a bit surprised Fred didn't call me out or at least point that one out as the order was still reversed for S2P files.   

4.01, 08/28/2023
Remove reorder in S2P export (was missed from  3.17 bug fix)
When importing Touchstone files, remove S21 data that is zero'ed.  Problem with QT software.
Add enable checkbox for the transfer relay rather the using a null port.
Add the transfer relay enable flag to the defaults file. 

The following users thanked this post: ON7CH, cyp_eev

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2272 on: September 05, 2023, 01:34:21 pm »
It appears that this software is your best effort at making some kind of a mark in life.

Hey come on - everyone deserves their 15 minutes of fame - even Joe!

:-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2273 on: September 05, 2023, 04:52:20 pm »
Write a story to fit the photos.   

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2274 on: September 05, 2023, 09:10:47 pm »
Thought I'd swoop in here after complaining another thread is giving me bowl cancer...

Here is a clue: The only people that transition from GitHub to DropBox, are people who were misusing GitHub as their own personal cloud storage space and were warned, and then told to leave. Developers of real software don't do that.

I, as an actual professional in that space, would suggest that Github isn't actually where people go to write real software. It's where people go to get hand jobbed for stars, lots of unadulterated forking and occasionally get a face full of NodeJS as a result.  It's a community for the unthinkers and shokushu goukan fans. Some people don't even use git believe it or not. And those people are quite productive still when GitHub is down for the nth time in a week!

You're only bitter because even if Joe's software is shit, which is feasible as I know all mine is, you can't raise a PR against it, fork it and flap all over the remains like a demented pigeon.

But yeah DropBox. Anything but DropBox. Why Joe? WHYYYYY.

Anyway that's enough beer and posting on EEBblog for the year. Farewell again  :phew:

Edit: oh also...

You belittle the HAM radio community

It's a well deserved belittling. I say that as a former full license holder here. Just ugh to the whole thing. I took great pride in tearing up the license and shredding the certificate.

The moment I did it, the air of hamness went and it's been floozies non stop since.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 09:13:34 pm by bd139 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf