Author Topic: The uBeam FAQ  (Read 652431 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: The uBeam FAQ
« Reply #1525 on: February 11, 2019, 01:14:08 pm »
I can't figure the timestamps here but, the website was gone at least 4 or 5, hours before sdpkom's report above appeared  « Reply #1511 on: January 31, 2019, 02:54:19 pm »  No links to PR blog before that/then.

They probably RSS subscribe to his blog and get alerted the moment it goes up. I would be if I was them.

Offline sdpkom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1526 on: February 11, 2019, 01:24:05 pm »
I can't figure the timestamps here but, the website was gone at least 4 or 5, hours before sdpkom's report above appeared  « Reply #1511 on: January 31, 2019, 02:54:19 pm »  No links to PR blog before that/then.

They probably RSS subscribe to his blog and get alerted the moment it goes up. I would be if I was them.

I wrote earlier (and deleted) that 4-5 hours before my post was  late PM in uBeam HQ, only to figure out the timestamp here is in Sydney Australia time.
The way timestamps are displayed here is indeed confusing, it would be nice to see the timezone next to the time.... or translate it to local time.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:44:20 pm by sdpkom »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1527 on: February 11, 2019, 01:38:50 pm »
I don't recall ever seeing this video, but maybe I have and I've forgotten. Perry with the prototype that looks like it has no tracking.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1528 on: February 11, 2019, 02:44:28 pm »
I wrote earlier (and deleted) that 4-5 hours before my post was  late PM in uBeam HQ, only to figure out the timestamp here is in Sydney Australia time.
The way timestamps are displayed here is indeed confusing, it would be nice to see the timezone next to the time.... or translate it to local time.

Set your time offset here and it will display local time: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=theme
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: sdpkom

Offline sdpkom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1529 on: February 11, 2019, 03:34:53 pm »

Set your time offset here and it will display local time: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/profile/?area=theme

Thanks,
I only wish it was that fixed....., my time ofset is not a fixed value...

Offline jrs45

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1530 on: February 11, 2019, 04:02:26 pm »
Where hare-brained unrealistic schemes and exaggeration are the norm, and you are rarely held to account for prior promises, and being a 'victim' is a benefit?

Academia for sure.  Or some of those blue-sky research labs (Google X, MERL, etc.) that never need to accomplish anything concrete.

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1531 on: February 11, 2019, 07:17:01 pm »

Academia for sure.  Or some of those blue-sky research labs (Google X, MERL, etc.) that never need to accomplish anything concrete.

That would require a level of technical skill beyond the ability to Google answers...

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1532 on: February 11, 2019, 07:43:09 pm »
I don't recall ever seeing this video, but maybe I have and I've forgotten. Perry with the prototype that looks like it has no tracking.

I've been out of that company for over 3 years and I still have to work up to watching videos with Perry in them. It sets me off. Like episodes of "Silicon Valley", I can't watch them because I've lived them, and it's not as funny when you've been through it...

The editing is so choppy it's really irritating. Maybe I'm old now. This was from Oct 2017, during the last fundraising round.

The LP guy says gained 8%? Let's say that was a 6Wh battery, so around 500 mWh, in a few minutes, let's say 5 (do you see him standing there holding it steady for that length? 5 minutes is a looooong time to do that for). That would mean 6W charging to the battery, which if they could do they should be screaming from the rooftops. Amazing that 15 months later they were simply lighting up LEDs in the mW range... It also implies >145dB sound pressure level as at 145 dB a square-on iPhone X sized object receives around 3W acoustic (prior to conversion to the battery). Possible that they just concentrate an extremely large array (looks to be about 45cm across), blast it, and focus to a single point. Still, I don't see those numbers adding up, something's not right. It's also interesting that the handheld LED device showed a rather wide "focus", with good beamforming you should be able to get that down to a few centimeters at that range, I'm suspicious it's very limited that way (concentric rings, by hex plate, or none at all and relies on the natural focus). I'd also love to see the grating lobes on that thing. No steering shown, ties with no tracking, it might not have been able to do it. I think I mentioned this in one of my blogs, but if I was going to "bamboozle" investors I'd have multiple transmitter/receiver sets and show different aspect of the technology in each and handwave the "we'll put it all together later".

Never operate out of fear? OMG I just about fell out of my chair laughing at that. Those of us on the receiving end of the "random dictat of the day" might have something to say there.

There were a lot of LA music types coming through the office when I was there. Nice people. These were not technically sophisticated investors.

Offline sdpkom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1533 on: February 11, 2019, 07:51:13 pm »
The LP guy says gained 8%? Let's say that was a 6Wh battery, so around 500 mWh, in a few minutes, let's say 5 (do you see him standing there holding it steady for that length? 5 minutes is a looooong time to do that for). That would mean 6W charging to the battery, which if they could do they should be screaming from the rooftops. Amazing that 15 months later they were simply lighting up LEDs in the mW range... It also implies >145dB sound pressure level as at 145 dB a square-on iPhone X sized object receives around 3W acoustic (prior to conversion to the battery). Possible that they just concentrate an extremely large array (looks to be about 45cm across), blast it, and focus to a single point. Still, I don't see those numbers adding up, something's not right. It's also interesting that the handheld LED device showed a rather wide "focus", with good beamforming you should be able to get that down to a few centimeters at that range, I'm suspicious it's very limited that way (concentric rings, by hex plate, or none at all and relies on the natural focus). I'd also love to see the grating lobes on that thing. No steering shown, ties with no tracking, it might not have been able to do it. I think I mentioned this in one of my blogs, but if I was going to "bamboozle" investors I'd have multiple transmitter/receiver sets and show different aspect of the technology in each and handwave the "we'll put it all together later".

Or just put a pre-charged powerbank inside that huge "receiver".
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:05:22 pm by sdpkom »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1534 on: February 12, 2019, 01:53:01 pm »
I just remembered the Youtube video of a couple of investors in uBeam doing a dance to celebrate that they got in on this Trillion Dollar Idea™
But I can't find it, anyone got a link?

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1535 on: February 12, 2019, 06:19:57 pm »
I just remembered the Youtube video of a couple of investors in uBeam doing a dance to celebrate that they got in on this Trillion Dollar Idea™

That was Ludlow Ventures, led by Jonathon Triest. Can't find the video yet, I think it was a Twitter post.

About 60% of the way down this interview they link to the video, but it shows as not available

https://www.replyall.me/zach-talks/conversation-with-ludlow-ventures-jonathon-triest/
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 06:34:04 pm by PaulReynolds »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1536 on: February 12, 2019, 10:05:52 pm »
About 60% of the way down this interview they link to the video, but it shows as not available

https://www.replyall.me/zach-talks/conversation-with-ludlow-ventures-jonathon-triest/

"When she's done building uBeam into something remarkable, maybe she'll run for President."

Well that's one we didn't think of.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1537 on: February 12, 2019, 11:17:51 pm »
That was Ludlow Ventures, led by Jonathon Triest. Can't find the video yet, I think it was a Twitter post.

A tad embarrassed I guess!  :-DD

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1538 on: February 14, 2019, 12:36:44 pm »
I think I found what Perry wants to work on next...
Move over Elizabeth Holmes!
https://youtu.be/k_KYwu5v2j4?t=279

Offline Domagoj T

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1539 on: February 14, 2019, 01:14:02 pm »
"We get sick and we have no idea why."
Like, A Biology like 101 textbook like would like solve like that.

(6 likes in 10 seconds) :--

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1540 on: February 14, 2019, 04:30:49 pm »

Scary how the people in the video believe that she already solved wireless power, that it's a success.  :scared:

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1541 on: February 14, 2019, 07:38:20 pm »

Wow. Not even an Owen Wilson wow, but a proper wow.  Of course there's quite a bit we "don't know" but to say we "don't understand our own biology" is an insult the hard work of countless scientists and researchers.  Like somehow the reason we don't have cures for absolutely everything is just because.. well, darn it, we're just not trying hard enough!  Needs more blue-sky thinking, we can solve these big problems in a few months. Oh and funding, because throwing money at problems works every time  :horse:

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1542 on: February 15, 2019, 05:53:26 am »
Scary how the people in the video believe that she already solved wireless power, that it's a success.  :scared:

Or that it was somehow some genius idea that no one had ever thought of before  :-DD

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1543 on: February 15, 2019, 01:38:33 pm »

I remember this, we were just starting the Series A fundraising and I was taken aback somewhat by those statements because of the massive amount of work still to do, and how could we ask for money for R&D when we're saying that we're pretty much done? In the end I dismissed as something said under pressure by someone with minimal media training. After Series A, I more and more felt that yes this was indeed the view from the top, and that it was only us dumb obstinate engineers that were in the way of achieving this (and me in particular). I also wondered what was being said to investors when the lead engineers were not in the room. Point here for engineers doing fundraising - this is a feature, not a bug.

As for the youtube video, I found the recommendations for other videos I got quite amusing. I don't know if they say more about me, or about the subject of the video, image attached.

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1544 on: February 15, 2019, 01:40:24 pm »

Wow. Not even an Owen Wilson wow, but a proper wow.  Of course there's quite a bit we "don't know" but to say we "don't understand our own biology" is an insult the hard work of countless scientists and researchers.  Like somehow the reason we don't have cures for absolutely everything is just because.. well, darn it, we're just not trying hard enough!  Needs more blue-sky thinking, we can solve these big problems in a few months. Oh and funding, because throwing money at problems works every time  :horse:

It's those linear thinking biologists, they just can't see round corners. A few minutes Googling would show solutions...

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1545 on: February 15, 2019, 02:22:42 pm »
Over the last 10 years or so i went to clinics (not just family doctors) with  pains and weird heart behaviour. None of the existing science could find the reasons for it, let alone cure it. So much to us "understanding our biology".
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline PaulReynolds

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1546 on: February 15, 2019, 03:48:09 pm »
Over the last 10 years or so i went to clinics (not just family doctors) with  pains and weird heart behaviour. None of the existing science could find the reasons for it, let alone cure it. So much to us "understanding our biology".

I can put you in touch with Perry, I'm sure she can help cure you with the same effectiveness that made uBeam the international success story it is today.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1547 on: February 15, 2019, 04:01:43 pm »
i do not give shiite about Perry. 
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1548 on: February 15, 2019, 06:32:34 pm »

(raises hand)

I know why!

It's because you're a big complicated chemical reaction, not a machine with standardized, mass-produced parts.

let alone cure it

They probably could if you let then do a complete teardown.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 06:36:31 pm by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: Howardlong, Cyberdragon, Buriedcode, PaulReynolds, sdpkom, InductorbackEMF

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1549 on: February 16, 2019, 05:38:48 pm »
I can put you in touch with Perry, I'm sure she can help cure you with the same effectiveness that made uBeam the international success story it is today.

Surely her father Dr Arthur Perry would be better, I think these are some of his potions, there's too many Dr Perrys to check.
https://www.youbeauty.com/beauty/dr-arthur-perry-skincare

Doesn't seem to do SPF40(kHz).

https://twitter.com/meredithperry/status/670802323359174656

Just before closing this 2011 tab, I decided to read it.

Perry has no background in electrical engineering. She is self-taught by reading online, mostly Wikipedia.
'A Guppy Navigating A Shark Tank'
In the business world, she's like a guppy navigating a shark tank. Fortune 500 companies already called to issue veiled threats, telling Perry she ought to license her technology to them.

https://www.npr.org/2011/08/23/139854129/young-entrepreneur-has-a-better-idea-now-what
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 11:01:51 pm by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf