Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3089348 times)

Offline Joule Thief

• Regular Contributor
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #2000 on: September 10, 2015, 10:23:49 pm »
I am guessing the Pittsburgh area or more likely the 80 IQ Dunning Kruger corridor from southern Philadelphia thru northeastern New Jersey.
Perturb and observe.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #2001 on: September 10, 2015, 10:36:46 pm »
This syyenergy7 guy has 18,162 subscribers and 10,301,216 views.

He put up the muppet video poking fun at Dave as well:

A lot of his videos have "click-bait" showing slide-shows of women on motorcycles or other completely random stuff while he talks (or "rants") about completely different stuff. He has tons of videos, quite a prolific YouTuber. All of which is monetized.

I don't believe anyone put him up to this... certainly not Batteroo. He likely just saw an opportunity to climb to this "hot" topic in order to increase viewership and earnings on YouTube. The more you click on his videos, the more money he makes.
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline Chipguy

• Supporter
« Reply #2002 on: September 10, 2015, 10:38:01 pm »
He has a sort of Southern US kind of accent, I would say Georgia or Alabama, maybe Louisiana.

He is disrespectful to other people. Especially to those that clearly have a higher education than him.
This in itself is a sign of poor educational background.
So I consider this guy way beneath everybody who takes an scientific approach to this case.
Where is that smoke coming from?

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2003 on: September 11, 2015, 12:06:57 am »
Note that his video description mentions John Bedini, a rather well-known overunity quack. I doubt the Batteriser guys really want to be associated with overunity...? But syyenergy7 seems to believe in overunity. ::)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/crowd-funded-projects/list-of-dodgy-crowd-source-funded-projects/msg483842/#msg483842

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/free-energy-scams-and-fakes/msg378754/#msg378754

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-708-free-energy-bullshit!/msg597289/#msg597289

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #2004 on: September 11, 2015, 12:51:45 am »
Note that his video description mentions John Bedini, a rather well-known overunity quack. I doubt the Batteriser guys really want to be associated with overunity...? But syyenergy7 seems to believe in overunity. ::)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/crowd-funded-projects/list-of-dodgy-crowd-source-funded-projects/msg483842/#msg483842

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/free-energy-scams-and-fakes/msg378754/#msg378754

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-708-free-energy-bullshit!/msg597289/#msg597289

Why not? I think they are targeting a potential market in mentally insane and dumb people. They're perfect buyers of useless crap, aka Snake Oil.

Some of those conspiranoid leaders will (it already do) say Big Battery like Duracell are against this revolutionary product because it would make them lose profit. They'll create forums and videos about that, then form a network of pyramidal business like Herbalife

Batteroo Bros. would make conferences, books and events about that.

There's too much potential to swindle lunatics that believe in reptilians, ancient aliens, free energy and such.

They often suffer certain degree of unmanaged schizophrenia, but the leaders just ate psychopaths that use them. I knew many of them, they get obsessed about that mind of stuff.

Offline Traxs

« Reply #2005 on: September 11, 2015, 02:16:16 am »
"Batteriser Fan Page" posted 3 syyenergy7 videos to their youtube page... :palm:  |O

Grabbed a pic in case they pull them....

Offline Stephan_T

• Contributor
« Reply #2006 on: September 11, 2015, 02:37:50 am »
"15 miles from France"??? So they're from Belgium, Holland, Germany, Luxemburg or Spain???

Or does he mean some small US town called France?

McBryce.

Andorra, Monaco?

Are both too small to get 15 miles away from France.

Offline joseph.anand

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2007 on: September 11, 2015, 02:48:43 am »
"Batteriser Fan Page" posted 3 syyenergy7 videos to their youtube page... :palm:  |O

A man is know by the company he keeps. In this case the blog is know by the company it keeps.

Offline 5ky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2008 on: September 11, 2015, 03:54:24 am »

I shouldn't be surprised by this, yet I am...

EDIT: I started the discharge test using the two boost converters that Jay mailed me but I doubt it'll be done by the time I have to leave for work tomorrow morning so perhaps tomorrow night I'll have some results to share.  I started earlier but had a brain fart and was attempting to measure voltage across both batteries as if they're in series, when in reality, they aren't--only the output is in series, so I ended up having to restart with fresh batteries.  I shouldn't do this type of stuff on low sleep  |O
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 05:37:09 am by 5ky »

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2009 on: September 11, 2015, 06:13:55 am »
The newspaper article is happening:

and the Batteriser CEO has made some "interesting claims" about me:

Let's see if they defame me like the fan page did  :-DD

Naturally I'm not having a bar of it, classic case of trying to rake me into a mud fight so they can have a sensational story.
They can quote what I said on twitter, so they can't say I "declined to comment".
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 06:17:49 am by EEVblog »

Offline neotesla

• Supporter
« Reply #2010 on: September 11, 2015, 07:30:51 am »
Gosh, if I hate anything about modern-day journalism, it's their idea of "balance". So, say we're writing on homeopathy and the actual medicine - that means it's best to pitch the story somewhere mid-way, for "balance".

Cluelessness seem to be a prerequisite for journalism these days. :palm:

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2011 on: September 11, 2015, 07:51:42 am »
Gosh, if I hate anything about modern-day journalism, it's their idea of "balance". So, say we're writing on homeopathy and the actual medicine - that means it's best to pitch the story somewhere mid-way, for "balance".

Yep, another reason why I won't be part of it. Like writing an article on evolution and giving equal time to the creationists  :palm:
If it was just an article on the dislikes, and that was the angle (that this sort of thing can happen), then I probably would have been happy to contribute.
Batterisers claims do not get to sit on the same shelf as real engineering, unless they are willing to provide real engineering data. One could argue that with hindsight we shouldn't have even discussed it or did videos and blog posts on it. But of course it was way too on-topic for any of us to pass up. And now it's become this hilariously spectacular train wreck none of us can keep our eyes off!

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2012 on: September 11, 2015, 07:53:18 am »
Dave, I really think it would be better if you worked with the newspaper, they clearly want some technical (aka not marketing bollocks) input.  Give them a chance!

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #2013 on: September 11, 2015, 07:53:59 am »
The newspaper article is happening:

and the Batteriser CEO has made some "interesting claims" about me:

Let's see if they defame me like the fan page did  :-DD

Naturally I'm not having a bar of it, classic case of trying to rake me into a mud fight so they can have a sensational story.
They can quote what I said on twitter, so they can't say I "declined to comment".

I'm sure they are reading this forum too.

I smell a sensationalist journalism at it's best, disguised as objective and hearing to both parts, but brewing controversy instead conductive debate.

Obviously, journals love mud fights. Here in Spain political and yellow debates are becoming too popular, they are like a bunch of crazy dogs vowing each other.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #2014 on: September 11, 2015, 08:11:36 am »

whoa, that sounds like 'better cooperate with me or ill shit on you in print' :/
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2015 on: September 11, 2015, 08:14:05 am »
whoa, that sounds like 'better cooperate with me or ill shit on you in print' :/
That's what I thought, too.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2016 on: September 11, 2015, 08:16:13 am »

Cluelessness seem to be a prerequisite for journalism these days. :palm:
I think it's more like "legal ass-covering" - they don't want to take sides, lest they get sued too. The fact that reality does take sides, in this case against Batteriser, is immaterial to them. They just want to write a good story with the minimum of legal risk.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2017 on: September 11, 2015, 08:19:49 am »
I think it's more like "legal ass-covering" - they don't want to take sides, lest they get sued too. The fact that reality does take sides, in this case against Batteriser, is immaterial to them. They just want to write a good story with the minimum of legal risk.

The thing is though, you can only get successfully sued for libel/defamation if you publish something that is deliberately untrue.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2018 on: September 11, 2015, 08:21:30 am »

It did rub me the wrong way.
They have not told me nor asked about these "various claims", so if they print them and they are untrue, someone might be in a spot of trouble.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2019 on: September 11, 2015, 08:28:13 am »
One of the main gripes throughout this debacle has been how so many media outlets just simply repeated Batteroo's marketing schpiel without doing any basic fact checking.  For the first time now, there appears to be a journo who wants to do just that, yet opinion is that Dave shouldn't do it? 😕

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2020 on: September 11, 2015, 08:37:56 am »
Where did the above dialog occurred? I can;t find it on your twitter.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2021 on: September 11, 2015, 09:25:08 am »

My reaction is the same. It seems that this journalist was contacted by Batteroo, not the other way around.

They can run with this story, but they will have a hell of a time finding *anyone* with any credibility that will support Batteroo's claims. 

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2022 on: September 11, 2015, 09:32:06 am »

My reaction is the same. It seems that this journalist was contacted by Batteroo, not the other way around.

They can run with this story, but they will have a hell of a time finding *anyone* with any credibility that will support Batteroo's claims.

Hey, Ms. Journalist! THIS is the real story here...

Offline GNU_Ninja

• Regular Contributor
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2023 on: September 11, 2015, 09:43:36 am »

They have not told me nor asked about these "various claims", so if they print them and they are untrue, someone might be in a spot of trouble.

Hi Dave:

Same here  ::)

"No Comment" is a perfectly rational response in my opinion. Your debunking videos say all that needs to be said regarding this issue.

Would love to find out what 'interesting things' the Batteroo CEO said about you. Whatever did you get up to in your 'Dramatic Arts' classes  ;)

Be sure to keep us all posted  ;D

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2024 on: September 11, 2015, 10:12:58 am »

"No Comment" is a perfectly rational response in my opinion. Your debunking videos say all that needs to be said regarding this issue.

Ask her if she's seen all the videos, what she thought of them. Any remaining doubts? You'll be happy to clear them up.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 10:26:56 am by Fungus »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf