Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3089362 times)

Offline 5ky

• Regular Contributor
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #2250 on: September 14, 2015, 10:37:30 pm »
My wife is making me go to the dog park with her since it's nice out today...

Do you have a dog...?

Yup

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2251 on: September 14, 2015, 10:58:26 pm »
You can't beat a bit of dogging on a late summer's eve...

😉

Offline tree

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2252 on: September 14, 2015, 11:05:15 pm »
My wife is making me go to the dog park with her since it's nice out today, but once I'm home, I'm going to make another quick video with these results.

Wife making you do things? Get a new wife!

Offline MrRobSteel

« Reply #2253 on: September 15, 2015, 12:29:30 am »
My wife is making me go to the dog park with her since it's nice out today, but once I'm home, I'm going to make another quick video with these results.

Coming soon, Wiferiser. 800% more wife.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #2254 on: September 15, 2015, 01:08:19 am »

Coming soon, Wiferiser. 800% more wife.

Wifesexizer and Husbandsexizer, 8000% more sex with more attractive and pain.

That would be nice.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #2255 on: September 15, 2015, 02:07:54 am »
Wifesexizer and Husbandsexizer, 8000% more sex with more attractive and pain.

That would be nice.

They already have that on AliExpress...  :-DD
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline ccs46

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2256 on: September 15, 2015, 03:15:50 am »

Do you have a dog...?

Yup
Whats her name? xD
Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet. - Scott Adams

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #2257 on: September 15, 2015, 04:05:24 am »
Could the Batteriser have any sort of over-current protection or would it just burn out?

Offline 5ky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2258 on: September 15, 2015, 04:26:04 am »

Do you have a dog...?

Yup
Whats her name? xD

Ellie, the ankle biter  :-+

Could the Batteriser have any sort of over-current protection or would it just burn out?

Potentially, but considering the size constraints, I think they'd have a hard time fitting all that into there.  I wonder if any boost converter IC's have current sense capabilities for that purpose?

Offline tree

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2259 on: September 15, 2015, 04:41:47 am »

If we assume that it was properly designed, then they have to include it to make sure the inductor doesn't saturate. What happens when the inductor saturates? Tons of bad stuff. For one, efficiency takes a dive.

But then again we can say that it wasn't properly designed, so best guess, they don't have current protection.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2260 on: September 15, 2015, 05:10:19 am »
It seems the Batteriser CEO is going to claim in this newspaper article that I'm working for Duracell  :palm:

How on earth can the investors let this farce go on?

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2261 on: September 15, 2015, 05:14:27 am »
It seems the Batteriser CEO is going to claim in this newspaper article that I'm working for Duracell  :palm:

Dammit Dave!  I thought we had a gentleman's agreement and I was shilling for Duracell and you were working for Energizer. What happened, man? Where's the love?

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2262 on: September 15, 2015, 05:15:22 am »
:-\ missed opportunity there... should've taken the offer for the article.

Offline tech5940

• Supporter
« Reply #2263 on: September 15, 2015, 05:19:39 am »

Clearly you have way more in common with the Energizer bunny than you do with Duracell. Get it right people. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2264 on: September 15, 2015, 05:20:52 am »

Are you going to finally reveal the shocking truth: That you are in fact none other than MR BIG BATTERY HIMSELF, the CEO of Duracell in disguise, and that the Dave Jones persona and the EEVBlog and the EEVBlog Youtube channel are all an elaborate front which you've spent the last 10 or more years building up to this exact moment so you can debunk a little battery sleeve! Now is the time to come clean Mr. BB! And you'd have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those pesky Butterizer kids...

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2265 on: September 15, 2015, 05:23:21 am »
http://sktainnopartners.com/team-2/

Min Park turns out to be a EE.  Could be worth chatting him up if this keeps on.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2266 on: September 15, 2015, 05:31:04 am »

Dammit Dave!  I thought we had a gentleman's agreement and I was shilling for Duracell and you were working for Energizer. What happened, man? Where's the love?

The cheques in the mail, relax  ;)

Offline 5ky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2267 on: September 15, 2015, 05:36:07 am »
If she's anything like most American journalists looking to twist your words, don't trust her.  A simple "I have ZERO affiliation with battery companies." would probably be fine, but I wouldn't divulge any information beyond that.  This planet's media is in a really sad state.  |O

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2268 on: September 15, 2015, 05:37:34 am »
And Batteroo releases the expansive, detailed, whopping 3 page UL test report:
http://batteriser.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Batteriser_ULReport_GPSDevice.pdf

BATTERISER INC 310 De Guigne Dr. Sunnyvale, CA 94085
Dear Batteriser,
Per your request, project 4787059213 was opened, in accordance with your requested test protocol. The test data has been included at the end of this report.
UL LLC did not select the samples, determine whether the samples were representative of production samples, witness the production of the test samples, nor were we provided with information relative to the formulation or identification of component materials used in the test samples. The test results apply only to the actual samples tested.
The issuance of this report in no way implies Listing, Classification or Recognition by UL LLC and does not authorize the use of UL Listing, Classification or Recognition Marks or any other reference to UL LLC. on the product or system. UL LLC authorizes the above named company to reproduce this Report provided it is reproduced in its entirety. The name, Brand or Marks of UL LLC cannot be used in any packaging, advertising, promotion or marketing relating to the data in this Report, without UL's prior written permission.
UL, its employees and agents shall not be responsible to anyone for the use or nonuse of the information contained in this Report, and shall not incur any obligation or liability for damages, including consequential damages, arising out of or in connection with the use of, or inability to use, the information contained in this Report.
This letter will serve to report that all tests on the subject product have been completed and the data is included in the attached test report.
Thank you for the opportunity to provide your company with these services. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you should have any questions or comments.

Now that is the seal of approval if I've ever seen it.  :palm:

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2269 on: September 15, 2015, 05:40:25 am »
And Batteroo releases the expansive, detailed, whopping 3 page UL test report:
http://batteriser.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Batteriser_ULReport_GPSDevice.pdf

BATTERISER INC 310 De Guigne Dr. Sunnyvale, CA 94085
Dear Batteriser,
Per your request, project 4787059213 was opened, in accordance with your requested test protocol. The test data has been included at the end of this report.
UL LLC did not select the samples, determine whether the samples were representative of production samples, witness the production of the test samples, nor were we provided with information relative to the formulation or identification of component materials used in the test samples. The test results apply only to the actual samples tested.
The issuance of this report in no way implies Listing, Classification or Recognition by UL LLC and does not authorize the use of UL Listing, Classification or Recognition Marks or any other reference to UL LLC. on the product or system. UL LLC authorizes the above named company to reproduce this Report provided it is reproduced in its entirety. The name, Brand or Marks of UL LLC cannot be used in any packaging, advertising, promotion or marketing relating to the data in this Report, without UL's prior written permission.
UL, its employees and agents shall not be responsible to anyone for the use or nonuse of the information contained in this Report, and shall not incur any obligation or liability for damages, including consequential damages, arising out of or in connection with the use of, or inability to use, the information contained in this Report.
This letter will serve to report that all tests on the subject product have been completed and the data is included in the attached test report.
Thank you for the opportunity to provide your company with these services. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you should have any questions or comments.

Now that is the seal of approval if I've ever seen it.  :palm:

Batteriser now have to remove all mention of the UL testing from their website, Indiegogo, and all other promotional material.
UL will totally kick their arse if they don't.

That is the most embarrassing technical report I've ever read in my life, it doesn't even have the date on it  :palm:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 05:45:56 am by EEVblog »

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2270 on: September 15, 2015, 05:42:05 am »
From the beginning, they painted themselves as the white knights in shining armour, fighting the evil empire of big battery. A new play on the old conspiracy theory that big oil companies killed the water engine.

The whole family and associates are ruthless scammers. Initially we thought their inflated claims were due to an overzealous advertising team. It is now clear that the Roohparvars were out to deceive investors at the very start of the campaign.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 05:54:36 am by Wytnucls »

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2271 on: September 15, 2015, 05:48:41 am »
If she's anything like most American journalists looking to twist your words, don't trust her.  A simple "I have ZERO affiliation with battery companies." would probably be fine, but I wouldn't divulge any information beyond that.  This planet's media is in a really sad state.  |O

Dave's statements are all public tweets. Hannah doesn't have too much leeway there. I think she might be fair. Bob's claim is so silly that he's pretty well cooked.

These desperate acts are a good indication of how quickly the wheels are coming off at Batteroo. People don't recklessly lash out like this when things are going their way.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 05:51:03 am by LabSpokane »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2272 on: September 15, 2015, 05:55:44 am »
Dave's statements are all public tweets. Hannah doesn't have too much leeway there. I think she might be fair.

She's at least asking all the right questions and doing some due diligence. We'll see how it turns out, but I'm not fussed either way. I suspect it will just be exactly as she mentioned, a "balanced" article. As if both sides have equally valid technical data to back up their claims.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2273 on: September 15, 2015, 05:55:54 am »
Batteriser now have to remove all mention of the UL testing from their website, Indiegogo, and all other promotional material.

It's still there as I write this: "UL, one of the oldest and most prestigious Labs, has performed independent Performance testing of a Garmin Golf GPS with and without Batteriser showing approx. 600% life extension"

That is the most embarrassing technical report I've ever read in my life, it doesn't even have the date on it  :palm:

Not even signed.

It feels like they were blackmailed into writing it.

Offline joseph.anand

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2274 on: September 15, 2015, 06:00:16 am »

Batteriser already had the entire report with them. They have violated the agreement with UL by
1. Advertising UL certification
2. Placing only a partial portion of the report online
3. Editing out portions of the report (like page 2 of 3)

Page 1 clearly states that everything was provided by Batteriser. It was not independent testing of the claims, but rather independent testing of the things provided to them by Batteriser. It is not stated anywhere that the batteries provided for testing were new.

After reading Page 2 UL themselves have made a mess by not clearly stating for "Test without Batteriser" whether GPS shut down or backlight was switched off. And from both Batteriser's video and also tests done by people on this forum we know that the GPS goes on for much more than that without switching off.

From a product that could have been useful in some situations, this thing is turning day by day into a farce.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 06:02:11 am by joseph.anand »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf