Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3089492 times)

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #4625 on: February 29, 2016, 12:51:18 am »
I was joking about directing it to a shock image/video (though, I can see why that might not be obvious). I think I'll put up a page with the debunking video embedded and a link to this thread.

It only cost me a couple of dollars, so why not.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #4626 on: February 29, 2016, 09:27:53 am »
Should we go back to electronics and stop these games? It makes the blog look like trollcentral.

But keeping this tread alive attracts a lot of visitors, pays the EevBlog bills, so there is no need for extra and/or annoying adds on the forum.
Everybody happy.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4627 on: February 29, 2016, 10:47:20 am »
Hi,

Meanwhile, on the IGG campaign we have:

and

Just in case they get deleted when they wake up in California.

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #4628 on: February 29, 2016, 01:16:32 pm »
Should we go back to electronics and stop these games? It makes the blog look like trollcentral.

But keeping this tread alive attracts a lot of visitors, pays the EevBlog bills, so there is no need for extra and/or annoying adds on the forum.
Everybody happy.

Yeah, my comment was not on posting in this thread, but specific on registering that domain and doing funny things with it.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #4629 on: February 29, 2016, 02:32:45 pm »
I think all the 'funny things' was just throwing out some outrageous ideas - commensurate with the outrageous treatment of the Batteriser patrons.  They were just using the material Bob and Co presented and was probably a bit cathartic.

More considered thoughts were presented for possible implementation.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4630 on: February 29, 2016, 06:17:36 pm »
Do a redirect or a page with 2 links, one to the YT video and another to this thread. As well make the admin password incredibly long and complex, and only use a plain HTML page so it is under 5k in size so the server and all the assorted caches can keep it alive easily. No adverts, no statcounter just a plain page, the web backend stats will be good enough as to page hits.

Offline AlxDroidDev

• Frequent Contributor
    • Arduino Web Brasil
« Reply #4631 on: February 29, 2016, 08:23:56 pm »
What amazes me is that despite this thread and all the debunking videos, only now the backers are truly realising baterizer was  a scam the entire time. Shame on them for choosing to be blind for so long.

"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." (Andrew S. Tanenbaum)

Offline f4eru

• Super Contributor
    • Chargehanger
« Reply #4632 on: February 29, 2016, 09:59:21 pm »
I sure wish they would hurry up and ship the damn things. I am almost out of pop corn  :popcorn:
Here's a bit for all of us :

Offline f4eru

• Super Contributor
    • Chargehanger
« Reply #4633 on: February 29, 2016, 10:02:41 pm »
Should I redirect it to Goatse, 2G1C or Lemon Party?
EEVblog would do :)
And it would fund dave from a few more clicks  :)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4634 on: February 29, 2016, 10:39:23 pm »
"Planing" for late March.
And they'll get "the team" to take some photos

Offline WN1X

• Supporter
« Reply #4635 on: February 29, 2016, 11:14:04 pm »
Shipping late March? What year?
- Jim

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #4636 on: March 01, 2016, 01:06:15 am »
Shipping late March? What year?

When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4637 on: March 01, 2016, 02:06:30 am »
Hi group,

Just so you don't miss out Mia Micra has raised the bar again, Here is the latest from the Batteriser Facebook page:

The man is genius !! Rex Hewses is 'excuses'.

Jay_Diddy_B
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:08:34 am by Jay_Diddy_B »

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #4638 on: March 01, 2016, 05:08:22 am »
Well they are promising to ship in 30 days batteriser.com for people ordering today

Now we will see how many days "30 days" are, like 800 %

We should take bets.

Pretty sure it has said 30 days for awhile (like months)....  Dibs on inf+  :box:

The amount that has to get done, is the bare minimum to not get sued..and that doesn't necessarily mean shipping.

Very hard for anything to happen, let alone a push to ship, when people aren't in it. Bob Roohparvar seems to be teaching courses this semester. Frankie Roohparvar (Skyera CEO) and Mitchell Nishi (VP Finance Skyera) have Skyera to run (bought by HGST about a year ago for something like $100M). Warren Flick seems to have left in December or earlier. This was their core team on the Indigogo. Even marketing seems to have 99-100% dropped off with only twitter and facebook on apparently autopilot by a (very) cheap PR service.

Also the burn rate, 500k and upto 1 million from SK just isn't much when you have 10 employees, legal, offices, 'development', manufacturing. And now it looks like they are looking for some government $$ (https://www.sam.gov   -> search records   ->   DUNS:079962092).  If they don't ship right away... money likely to go poof if hasn't already.

Trademarks dispute....you have to be nuts to ship before clearing that up..it's Energizer, and possibly patent

Then you have the investment agreement... SK innopartners brought Batteroo in March 31 2015...
According to SK white paper, http://sktainnopartners.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/InnopartnersWhitePaper_8-19-2014.pdf

"Invitation to the Accelerator The initial seed funding ranges up to $1 million provided to the company in the form of a promissory note."
"The Seed Phase lasts for 6 to 12 months. At the conclusion of this phase, the startup raises a Series A round."

So March 31 2016 is likely the end of their seed phase agreement and it sure seems like they haven't reached Series A...... which, I think, suggest some mechanism triggers in the investment agreement with SK on March 31 2016

All speculation though ...probably eat my shoe tomorrow  :P

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4639 on: March 01, 2016, 05:14:04 am »
Also the burn rate, 500k and upto 1 million from SK just isn't much when you have 10 employees, legal, offices, 'development', manufacturing. And now it looks like they are looking for some government $$ (https://www.sam.gov   -> search records   ->   DUNS:079962092).  If they don't ship right away... money likely to go poof if hasn't already.

Interesting.

What were they applying for?

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #4640 on: March 01, 2016, 06:02:47 am »

Interesting.

What were they applying for?

Not sure, they may have not applied yet. The DUNS application is often the first step for companies interacting with the government. This DUNS application says "Purpose of Registration: Federal Assistance Awards Only", which you probably saw.

Initially came across from a database on the SBIR (Small Business Innovation Research) / STTR (Small Business Technology Transfer) site in a miscellaneous excel sheet. A clean entry is here https://www.sbir.gov/sbirsearch/detail/828467, but basically same as the DUNS information except stating no awards yet (which they wouldn't have even if they applied right away.. 6 month cycles for SBIR).

The SBIR program is designed to attempt to drive and commercialize technologies in usually broad areas of interest the government has, usually benefiting people / economy / defense / health care or whatever.

Program is broken into three phases. 1st phase you get $150,000 for 6 months, if you do well, meet your goals, and your program manager likes you, you can apply for phase 2.
Phase 2, if you're accepted, you get $1,000,000 over two years. There is a third phase with no cash, but puts you in a position to approach other programs for more $$$, and they expect you to enter the market. You fail too hard or too many times,  you can be blacklisted.

I've worked with a few companies in the SBIR 1 and 2 phases. SBIR can be very good but also annoying. You have to meet everything you said you would, otherwise you jeopardize phase 2... and you want phase 2. You are also checked during phase 2. So it makes it more difficult to 'pivot' if you need to because you've already promised certain things upfront. Stuff like accounting must be done 100%, so somethings become more tedious.

But if you make it into phase 2..... you're likely doing much better than if you took $1,000,000 from somewhere else.

Also, the SBIR companies Ive worked with, entered phase 1 earlier compared to Batteroo (Batteroo says they will be in the market next month, while the companies I worked with were a few years out)...don't know if this is what they are really targeting, if anything, but maybe a possibility if you need cash.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:10:26 am by ChunkyPastaSauce »

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4641 on: March 01, 2016, 06:22:55 am »
Batteroo taking money from the US Government is the single, dumbest thing they could ever do. It opens them and SK Telecom (the deep pocket) open to a fraud, waste, and abuse lawsuit.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #4643 on: March 01, 2016, 06:50:53 am »
Batteroo taking money from the US Government is the single, dumbest thing they could ever do. It opens them and SK Telecom (the deep pocket) open to a fraud, waste, and abuse lawsuit.

SK probably not. Batteroo maybe. A lot of companies over promise going into phase 1, phase 1 is high risk funding often for high risk tech. Companies in phase 1 often find they have technical problems and cant reach what they are trying to do (if they do that too many time or too hard, individuals can be blacklisted from the awards).  Totally depends on what they put into their application and how they execute, if they get the award at all. I can tell you there is a scary oversight guy with the sole purpose of finding fraud and abuse... and he enjoys it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:58:28 am by ChunkyPastaSauce »

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #4644 on: March 01, 2016, 06:55:10 am »
Not sure if it has been mentioned before or is even relevant but these people have more moves than a chess game.

http://www.storagenewsletter.com/rubriques/people/frankie-roohparvar-boards-directors-and-chief-strategy-officer-xitore/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/04/xitores_flashing_fast_stealth_exit/

lol was already seriously doubting Batteriser was on Frankie Roohparvars radar anymore.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:57:52 am by ChunkyPastaSauce »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4645 on: March 01, 2016, 09:20:17 am »
lol was already seriously doubting Batteriser was on Frankie Roohparvars radar anymore.

Isn't he doing well!

I wonder if he still remembers his humble beginnings, the smell of the dumpsters in Milpitas...

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4646 on: March 01, 2016, 09:30:39 am »
What amazes me is that despite this thread and all the debunking videos, only now the backers are truly realising baterizer was  a scam the entire time. Shame on them for choosing to be blind for so long.
just don't feel pity for them, because they are already falling into the next scam.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4647 on: March 01, 2016, 09:34:05 am »
Hi group,

Just so you don't miss out Mia Micra has raised the bar again, Here is the latest from the Batteriser Facebook page:

The man is genius !! Rex Hewses is 'excuses'.

Jay_Diddy_B

LMAO :-)

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4648 on: March 01, 2016, 11:37:04 am »
Isn't he doing well!
I wonder if he still remembers his humble beginnings, the smell of the dumpsters in Milpitas...

Ah, the adventures of the snail in the well, those were the days...

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #4649 on: March 01, 2016, 02:44:30 pm »
Not sure if it has been mentioned before or is even relevant but these people have more moves than a chess game.

http://www.storagenewsletter.com/rubriques/people/frankie-roohparvar-boards-directors-and-chief-strategy-officer-xitore/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/04/xitores_flashing_fast_stealth_exit/

I don't know why, but the Xistore promises smell at least as good as the Batteroo one!
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf