Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3085532 times)

Offline Barny

• Frequent Contributor
  • I'm from Austria, not Australia ;)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #3976 on: January 11, 2016, 12:57:48 pm »
There where some comments at Facebook, but they got deleted:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-751-how-to-debunk-a-product-%28the-batteriser%29/3960/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-751-how-to-debunk-a-product-%28the-batteriser%29/3975/

So it's clear they don't want to tell anyone. The question now is why?
As mentioned, I see only upside for them in this.

Offline onlooker

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3977 on: January 11, 2016, 01:11:20 pm »
When a perfect exit strategy is at hand, there is less reason to use it before collecting all the additional moneys possible.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:18:29 pm by onlooker »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3978 on: January 11, 2016, 01:23:33 pm »
I was also trying to work out why the delay - but it seems I couldn't see the wood for the trees...

When a perfect exit strategy is at hand, there is less reason to use it before collecting all the additional moneys possible.

How obvious was that answer.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #3979 on: January 11, 2016, 02:32:05 pm »
You know, earlier I was thinking about boost converters and it occurs to me that trying to boost <1V to 1.5V is kind of dumb. Why not 1.2V? Pretty much everything will run off NiMh cells which run at that voltage... It would be more efficient and allow them to generate more current.

To do this, they could use a boost converter that operates in "pass through" mode. By that I mean when the battery is new (~1.5V) the boost converter doesn't do anything; the MOSFET simply passes the voltage straight through until the battery discharges to a certain point (~1.2V), then it starts operating to keep the output at that level.

I know TI make some boost chips that do this. I've used one designed for LIon batteries (passes from 4.2V to 3.7V then boosts) and they work really well.

I can't think of a reason that wouldn't be the ideal way to implement a product like this... Sure it's not as flashy ("Look, the dead battery is now full!") but it would a actually work.

Sent from my Smartphone
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 02:35:46 pm by timb »
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3980 on: January 11, 2016, 04:04:41 pm »
Question:  The IGG mugs are just "backers", putting money into a project, and thus not legally entitled to receive an actual project.  BUT, what about the mugs who have pre-ordered?  Surely that is a straightforward purchase, will they be legally entitled to a full refund?

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3981 on: January 11, 2016, 05:10:43 pm »
Has anyone in the IGG comments or Facebook page even mentioned the failure of the patent or Energizer Trademark dispute yet?

I have. Looks like my comment vanished this week.

PS: "New campaign video"...?

Offline jippie

• Supporter
« Reply #3982 on: January 11, 2016, 07:14:24 pm »
PS: "New campaign video"...?
Yes I noticed too, the main video on the (closed) Indigogo page has changed. In contrast to earlier versions it is very clear to see now that the batterised batteries need some slight force to be pushed into the keyboard, which means it'll cost quite some effort to get them out. It shows several (uncoated, or clear coating) batterisers being inserted in couple product. Showing nice marketing wall posters; blahdibla; Warren (KMart) Flick explaining blahdibla. 15e9 batteries can reach to the moon and back, blahdibla...

Nothing new.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 07:18:59 pm by jippie »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3983 on: January 12, 2016, 12:01:06 am »
BUT, what about the mugs who have pre-ordered?  Surely that is a straightforward purchase, will they be legally entitled to a full refund?

Yes, but will get it only if:
a) Batteroo are pro-active enough to give it to them
or
b) They kick up a stink about it.

I'd bet that their website pre-orders are bugger-all anyway.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3984 on: January 12, 2016, 12:07:09 am »
The next update will of course include the obligatory "well earned xmas break" message, and "we are now hard back at work delivering the best possible quality product for you".
And if they hang out long enough, the good'ol reliable Chinese new year is Feb 8th-15th or so  :-+

Offline rich

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3985 on: January 12, 2016, 01:43:16 am »
This extended story reminds me of a certain 20th century play...
Perhaps we should rename Batteriser to 'Godot', and the Roopahvar brothers fit nicely into the main characters.
:-DD "a tragicomedy in two acts" - The uncertainty of the reality they are in is definitely a common theme. (one of my fave playwrights btw)

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3986 on: January 12, 2016, 02:58:58 am »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-751-how-to-debunk-a-product-%28the-batteriser%29/3960/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-751-how-to-debunk-a-product-%28the-batteriser%29/3975/

There is a PR upside, but a huge downside from the original goal of selling an infant company. Businesses with active lawsuits against them rank somewhere below gonorrhea and high-level radioactive waste on the marketability scale. As soon as Batteroo announces the legal action publicly, they are committed to ride the ship to the bottom.

Offline ccs46

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3987 on: January 12, 2016, 03:39:03 am »

There is a PR upside, but a huge downside from the original goal of selling an infant company. Businesses with active lawsuits against them rank somewhere below gonorrhea and high-level radioactive waste on the marketability scale. As soon as Batteroo announces the legal action publicly, they are committed to ride the ship to the bottom.
The question is... who or what will sink it? Who is going to be that magical iceberg will hit?
Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet. - Scott Adams

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3988 on: January 12, 2016, 03:52:44 am »
There is a PR upside, but a huge downside from the original goal of selling an infant company.
Businesses with active lawsuits against them rank somewhere below gonorrhea and high-level radioactive waste on the marketability scale. As soon as Batteroo announces the legal action publicly, they are committed to ride the ship to the bottom.

Indeed. But anyone looking to buy the company is already going to know their patent is failing, and their trademark is under attack.
Going public with "big battery" as an excuse for the delays will keep Joe Public from circling with pitch forks. It might even rally them into support mode.

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3989 on: January 12, 2016, 04:24:28 am »
gee wiz it is  over  people  got ripped off  get over it .wish we could do better .
we knew  that this would the outcome .
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3990 on: January 12, 2016, 05:00:47 am »
gee wiz it is  over  people  got ripped off  get over it .

The show has only just begun!  :popcorn:

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3991 on: January 12, 2016, 05:23:42 am »
There is a PR upside, but a huge downside from the original goal of selling an infant company.
Businesses with active lawsuits against them rank somewhere below gonorrhea and high-level radioactive waste on the marketability scale. As soon as Batteroo announces the legal action publicly, they are committed to ride the ship to the bottom.

Indeed. But anyone looking to buy the company is already going to know their patent is failing, and their trademark is under attack.
Going public with "big battery" as an excuse for the delays will keep Joe Public from circling with pitch forks. It might even rally them into support mode.

I think you are right about the marketing portion, I just think that they will be spinning the lawsuit to pitch to the last, potential investors that may have given them slip at a cocktail party.  More investment is likely the only hope as I still feel that they are hopelessly undercapitalized for their commitments. 

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3992 on: January 12, 2016, 05:35:12 am »
The question is... who or what will sink it? Who is going to be that magical iceberg will hit?

What iceberg?  Who's sinking?

The orchestra's still playing, so everything must be ok!   ;)

Just one question .... where are the lifeboats?

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3993 on: January 12, 2016, 09:35:15 am »

What iceberg?  Who's sinking?

The orchestra's still playing, so everything must be ok!   ;)

Just one question .... where are the lifeboats?

And they're busy re-arranging the deckchairs...

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #3994 on: January 12, 2016, 10:21:11 am »
You know, earlier I was thinking about boost converters and it occurs to me that trying to boost <1V to 1.5V is kind of dumb. Why not 1.2V? Pretty much everything will run off NiMh cells which run at that voltage... It would be more efficient and allow them to generate more current.
Sounds like a good idea, but Batteriser says many devices stop working below 1.35 V :) But I guess the real reason is the target audience. Most are non-technical people and they can verify, that the Apple keyboard shows 100% again, when a dead battery is used with the Batteriser sleeve. Cool, I will recommend this product. They don't compare how long a device actually runs with and without the Batteriser, with fresh batteries and the same test conditions.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3995 on: January 12, 2016, 11:38:55 am »
Most are non-technical people and they can verify, that the Apple keyboard shows 100% again, when a dead battery is used with the Batteriser sleeve. Cool, I will recommend this product. They don't compare how long a device actually runs with and without the Batteriser, with fresh batteries and the same test conditions.

I disagree. I think many people will be so excited about owning a world-changing technology they'll instantly grab a flashlight (or whatever) and test how long it runs. They've drunk the advertising kool-aid, they'll be expecting it to go for at least a week.

The results will be impossible to misinterpret - it doesn't work!  :wtf:

A few will do it a second time with a stopwatch and figure out that Batteriser gives less battery life than before.

This is such an obvious experiment that anybody with a working brain can think of it. It's also an experiment that bloggers will love to do.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3996 on: January 12, 2016, 12:45:10 pm »
This is such an obvious experiment that anybody with a working brain can think of it. It's also an experiment that bloggers will love to do.

Within a week or two of shipping, there will be a huge database of products with before/after testing.
It needs to be done right though.
The real test is not so much with and without batteriser, it's without batteriser, and then how much extra time the product gets with the Batteriser on those "dead" batteries.
This is the when their whole 800% BS will come crashing down. It'll be a few 10's of percent at best with most products, with many (majority?) in the single digit percentage if not negative.
And that's if the product even works reliably and fits, which they have had problems on the prototype units with.

Offline lpickup

• Regular Contributor
  • Uncle Bobby Dazzler
« Reply #3997 on: January 12, 2016, 12:53:18 pm »
Most are non-technical people and they can verify, that the Apple keyboard shows 100% again, when a dead battery is used with the Batteriser sleeve. Cool, I will recommend this product. They don't compare how long a device actually runs with and without the Batteriser, with fresh batteries and the same test conditions.

I disagree. I think many people will be so excited about owning a world-changing technology they'll instantly grab a flashlight (or whatever) and test how long it runs. They've drunk the advertising kool-aid, they'll be expecting it to go for at least a week.

And I have to disagree with that.  The general public (not the engineering crowd) would put these into their remotes, clocks, cordless mice, whatever and then convince themselves that they worked because batteries in those things don't die in a timeframe that's easily measurable.  More importantly, they will convince themselves that they actually do work because they spent good money of them.  These are probably the same people that continually buy into the infomercial crap on TV.  I would be highly surprised if any of them do any kind of quantitative measurements at all.  Why would they?  They saw the video where the GPS unit lasted 5 times as long!  There's your proof.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3998 on: January 12, 2016, 12:54:35 pm »
Within a week or two of shipping, there will be a huge database of products with before/after testing.
It needs to be done right though.
The real test is not so much with and without batteriser, it's without batteriser, and then how much extra time the product gets with the Batteriser on those "dead" batteries.
This is the when their whole 800% BS will come crashing down. It'll be a few 10's of percent at best with most products, with many (majority?) in the single digit percentage if not negative.
And that's if the product even works reliably and fits, which they have had problems on the prototype units with.

How can it be negative? If the bare battery is "dead" and it still doesn't work any longer with the batteriser attached, that would be 0% at worst, but not negative.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3999 on: January 12, 2016, 01:04:30 pm »
How can it be negative? If the bare battery is "dead" and it still doesn't work any longer with the batteriser attached, that would be 0% at worst, but not negative.

Doh, yeah, I was thinking of the with/without test.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf