Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 824514 times)

bbrand67 and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
As for blighty customs, I've taken 2k USD worth of electronics into the UK a number of times (eg laptop, camera, USB scope) without even thinking about it, but nothing like a full sized scope. Does anyone know how much they care about something like this? Could declare it but have already paid sales tax and would rather not be taxed twice on one item!

A bit of a gamble at least. If you decide not to declare it, and customs somehow pick up on it, they might get annoyed. As you would be exceeding the free allowance (390 GBP) significantly, they might even charge an extra penalty.

Why did you pay sales tax in the US, by the way? Didn't you mail order and have it sent to another state?  If you did pay US sales tax, you should be able to get a refund for that if you declare the export, so you won't be taxed twice. But the UK tax is higher, of course...  ::)

EDIT: Allowance amount; tax refund comment added.
Most distributors in the US are charging sales tax regardless of which State they ship to because they usually have a nationwide operations

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
Thanks for the helpful replies!

DHL seemed very expensive when I used their online calculator, plus would have to insure it and pay a bunch of import fees. I think I'll just give myself plenty of time to go through security and keep the cord with it.

As for blighty customs, I've taken 2k USD worth of electronics into the UK a number of times (eg laptop, camera, USB scope) without even thinking about it, but nothing like a full sized scope. Does anyone know how much they care about something like this? Could declare it but have already paid sales tax and would rather not be taxed twice on one item!
As a precaution, don't pack anything with it that would indicate it was bought in US - invoice, manuals, original packing etc. I don't recall if it came with a screen protection film but definitely remove that, maybe add plenty of fingermarks!

Right, plug it in and now it's used like your laptop.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Bring the scope as luggage (in a carrying case) and put the box + manuals in the post.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
Bring the scope as luggage (in a carrying case) and put the box + manuals in the post.
There are no manuals in the box and the box itself is not worth keeping

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
To the UK I seem to have better experience with FedEx than DHL :)

Just today I got about $350,- worth of items via FedEx from US - and it went through customs without a charge. I think that is now about 50/50 if I have gotten charged....

With DHL I get charged every time without exception - and their UK office is absolute terrible to deal with if you have to pay.  Online Gateway is often down - and DHL drivers do not by default have card reader with them. But FedEx DOES. So never had any issues with FedEx so far

:)

FedEx bill any tax and admin charges due separately after delivery.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
I have never had FedEx charge me after delivery - it is private - not company - and they only do cash on delivery to the best of my experience.

The 6 other parcels that have gone through without charge has not had any invoices/requests for payments. The 5 I have paid for - they charged on the spot on delivery.

Offline LaserEng

• Regular Contributor
Can someone give me an idea of the dimensions and weight of the box the scope ships in ? I tried to find this information online but no luck yet, I'm looking at shipping one internationally soon so would be good to get this information.

Also is the outside box covered in R&S branding or is it shipped double boxed with no external branding?

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
FedEx bill any tax and admin charges due separately after delivery.

as with every other courier.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Can someone give me an idea of the dimensions and weight of the box the scope ships in ? I tried to find this information online but no luck yet, I'm looking at shipping one internationally soon so would be good to get this information.

Also is the outside box covered in R&S branding or is it shipped double boxed with no external branding?
Box is R&S branded. Approx 4 inches bigger than the scope in all dimensions. Packing is foam rubber type so moderately heavy, Label on mine says 10kg.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: LaserEng

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
There are no manuals in the box and the box itself is not worth keeping

I think it's a good idea to keep original boxes from equipment for reselling later. If the instrument has a problem it also gives you the original packing.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor

Box is R&S branded. Approx 4 inches bigger than the scope in all dimensions. Packing is foam rubber type so moderately heavy, Label on mine says 10kg.
Box received from US distributor is 11 lb (5kg) and the dimensions are 19x14x10 inches.

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
If I did that for everything I bough, my Fort would be bigger than my house  :)

Joel

[quote ]
I think it's a good idea to keep original boxes from equipment for reselling later. If the instrument has a problem it also gives you the original packing.
[/quote]

Offline fonograph

• Frequent Contributor
( patiently waiting for someone to hack it )  :popcorn:

Offline kkessler

• Regular Contributor

My FedEx Tracking information says the box is 19x15x10 inches and weights 10.4 lbs.

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
Someone asked for some scope shots of audio with FFT, here are some. They are just listing to Pandora through the computer. I could also do sin, triangle, square wave at a set frequency if interested. settings are on screen.

Joel

The following users thanked this post: phs

Offline thanasisk

• Regular Contributor
Someone asked for some scope shots of audio with FFT, here are some. They are just listing to Pandora through the computer. I could also do sin, triangle, square wave at a set frequency if interested. settings are on screen.

Joel

Can you please also try peak search?

And also is fft phase info available somehow?

Many thanx!

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
Hi guys & girls,
I'm just starting to play with this scope. I do a lot of embedded uC's and serial bus work and this scope really shines. So far it's turning out to be my go to scope, we'll see as time passes. Very intuitive and easy to use and learn.
The FFT's will come in handy for my audio work ,the 10 bits really make a difference.
Rob

Offline kkessler

• Regular Contributor
Hypothetically, I could end up with a second one of these scopes, so I look into shipping the shipping costs to Europe for obvious reasons.  I checked several carriers, going to different cities, and they all cost between $300 and $400, which seems crazy to me.  I'm going to London this fall, and it would cost less to buy the scope the seat beside me on that flight.  Is there something I'm doing wrong, or are these expected prices for shipping to Europe?

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
If you're paying book/list rate shipping is crazy expensive. It would cost me about 100 USD to ship it with the discount I can get from UPS.
VE7FM

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
Hypothetically, I could end up with a second one of these scopes, so I look into shipping the shipping costs to Europe for obvious reasons.  I checked several carriers, going to different cities, and they all cost between $300 and $400, which seems crazy to me.  I'm going to London this fall, and it would cost less to buy the scope the seat beside me on that flight.  Is there something I'm doing wrong, or are these expected prices for shipping to Europe?

If you don't get a special discount, the 2 viable options I know of are USPS and ParcelMonkey

The problem is insuring the scope for full value...

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Indeed, insurance is expensive and generally whatever you insure a shipment for is the amount used for tax collection.
VE7FM

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
Indeed, insurance is expensive and generally whatever you insure a shipment for is the amount used for tax collection.

That's the beauty of 3rd party shipping insurance... it has no relation to the declared value... but e.g. insurepost.com has a $1000 limit.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Assuming you are in the US: USPS is much cheaper.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline LaserEng

• Regular Contributor
I have a Shipito account and I just checked their shipping calculator for a 19x15x10 box with 10.4 lbs weight and declared value of $200 and it was coming up as $82 Fedex Economy to London SW7 with insurance included.

When I increased the declared value to $2080 the price increased to $111 Fedex Economy with Insurance. Not bad versus listed Fedex or DHL prices

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
I checked several carriers, going to different cities, and they all cost between $300 and $400, which seems crazy to me.  I'm going to London this fall, and it would cost less to buy the scope the seat beside me on that flight.
This is why I'm planning on flying back to europe with one in my carry-on early next month - I got the same insane prices when I checked, vs an extra bag on the flight at ~30 USD. Could have gone with a shipping re-seller but was a good excuse for a holiday anyway.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf