Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 824521 times)

Detlev, mk_, bbrand67 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ElektronikLabor

• Regular Contributor
    • YouTube: ElektronikLabor
Hm on mine I can deactivate the demo capability. Might it be that yours is in some kind of demo mode?
It is Possible; the scope has a "Demo Device" sticker and one of the installed options is called K0 (Demo) that is only temporary  :-//
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:55:23 pm by medvedev »

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
No message/update from TEquipment, but Fedex just notified me they have a 16lbs package on hand for me from "Ingram Micro", which is a 100% match for TEquipment shipping me stuff in the past.

It'll still take a week to get to the left coast, but that's my punishment for not being charged CA sales tax...

Offline agdr

• Supporter
    • agdr Audio
No message/update from TEquipment, but Fedex just notified me they have a 16lbs package on hand for me from "Ingram Micro", which is a 100% match for TEquipment shipping me stuff in the past.

That is interesting.  Back in the first internet bubble, 18 years ago, Ingram did drop shipping for a lot of internet computer retailers.  The retailers didn't have to have any actual inventory, they just forwarded the orders to Ingram who in turn did the shipping for a fee.    Sounds like they are still around.  Back then they had a huge operation in Irvine (California).  I had to go down there a couple of times and meet with them.

EDIT: I just did a Google search out of curiosity.  "Ingram Micro is a wholesaler of IT products and services. Its headquarter remains in Irvine, California despite the fact the company has been acquired by the Chinese group HNA in 2016."  So that is what happened.  :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 01:06:43 am by agdr »

Offline stuartk

• Regular Contributor
I just received my scope from Test Force in Ottawa and it works well.

Has anyone got a wireless mouse to work and if so which brand and model?

It works fine with a wired mouse, but I'd like to go wireless.

Thanks,

Stuart

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor

Did it show as "shipped" on Tequipment's website after the estimated ship date?

Just wondering since their website says mine is due to ship tomorrow.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor

Nope, no change on the order status page. Still says "on order" and estimated ship date 04 May.

Offline rogersstuart

• Contributor

Thanks,

Stuart

I've tested it with a Logitech MX Master, M215, and K400r (all with different receivers) and none of them worked so I'm thinking that wireless Logitech HID devices are incompatible with this scope.

I've had an RTB2004 demo unit for about 2 weeks now. I really love the screen (for touch and its resolution), serial decoding worked great for me, and the FFT is pretty nice too but I've came across quite a few problems with the scope that make me not want to keep it. Aliasing is really bad on this scope. The min and max values in the dialogs are incorrect sometimes and after pressing enter and getting an error the correct values magically appear. I've had the tick labels for the FFT completely disappear requiring a power cycle to get them back. I've had it abruptly clear the screen while stopped (no, I didn't press the clear screen button or disable the channel). The AWG doesn't have a sync output. There's no PC software for configuring the AWG or pattern generator. Then to top it all off I just soft power cycled it and I got the same RTC error mentioned earlier in this thread. For such a nice scope its a shame that there are so many tiny flaws. Hopefully these problems will be fixed in future firmware updates.

Offline ElektronikLabor

• Regular Contributor
    • YouTube: ElektronikLabor
I've had the tick labels for the FFT completely disappear requiring a power cycle to get them back
Yesterday I had the same problem, too.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
The AWG doesn't have a sync output.
Not sure any of the other scope AWGs do either, but what they do usually allow is to trigger from AWG sync or waveform  - I reported this to  them a while ago and they said they will look at it.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline JoHr

• Regular Contributor
I have uploaded a review.

Touching the measurement areas leads directliy to the menu with the preselected measurement place.
Touching cursor lets you change the source directly. Time and voltage positions can be put in numerically as well.
-----------------------------------------------
FFT supports cursor measurements. But no "Next Peak" functionality  :--
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 08:23:39 am by JoHr »
The law of conservation of bugs states that the total amount of  bugs of an isolated system remains constant. Bugs can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, they can be transformed from one form to another.

Offline 3db

• Frequent Contributor

Thanks,

Stuart

I have a Logitech K400+ keyboard with integrated trackpad which seems to work with any  computer/device I've tried it on.
Might be worth a try. 

3DB.

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
... So TSA didn't care at all about me taking the scope in hand luggage, they asked what it was but then ran it straight through. Thanks to those who let me know their experience.

I'll also try a few mice/KB options once I get home - I have an older non unifying receiver Logitech mouse that I can try as well as some new stuff.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Just got my replacement unit - first powerup gave this message. It was pretty cold - maybe 15 deg.
Seems OK once warmed up a couple of mins.

BTW tried a USB keyboard and this was recognised and can be used for numeric inputs etc.
I don't have a wireless mouse to try. My guess is the Logitech ones with issues do odd USB stuff to talk to their driver - a no-name generic one may be a better bet.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor

Nope, no change on the order status page. Still says "on order" and estimated ship date 04 May.

Fixed. Got the shipping notice from Tequipment.net this morning.

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
Did you have a bad scope too? I thought Myrv had the only bad one.

Just got my replacement unit - first powerup gave this message. It was pretty cold - maybe 15 deg.

BTW tried a USB keyboard and this was recognised and can be used for numeric inputs etc.
I don't have a wireless mouse to try. My guess is the Logitech ones with issues do odd USB stuff to talk to their driver - a no-name generic one may be a better bet.

Offline theatrus

• Frequent Contributor
Did you have a bad scope too? I thought Myrv had the only bad one.

Also ended up with a bad one. Newark is having a hard time figuring out how to deal with RMAs.  |O
Software by day, hardware by night; blueAcro.com

Offline JanJansen

• Frequent Contributor
Thats why you americans have this free unlocked software deal, in trade for testing for them.
Only in america for fast return sends ?
i bet
aliexpress parachute

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Thats why you americans have this free unlocked software deal, in trade for testing for them.
Indeed. It seems there are many problems in this oscilloscope so this will be a real test for R&S to see if they can get the firmware right quickly. Some of the problems like slow response to menu selection changes seem problematic to fix quickly though because they are usually intertwined with how the tasks are organised within the firmware.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 05:50:17 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor

Fixed. Got the shipping notice from Tequipment.net this morning.

I ordered mine on April 2nd. At the time it was listed as "In Stock" but I was then given a ship date of May 1st. A few days ago that was changed to May 3rd. Then sometime today it was changed again to May 10th. >:(

I spoke with Tequipment who says they've had an issue with R&S changing their ship date for several of these scopes. Apparently R&S today shipped them to Tequipment's "hub" (?Ingram Micro?) and they are awaiting tracking info from R&S.

I wonder if there's been some last minute tweeks by R$S addressing some issues on the early releases?
It will be interesting to see if there's a new firmware release soon.

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
Is there a recommended thread on this forum or some other website to report bugs found on this scope?
-katie

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Is there a recommended thread on this forum or some other website to report bugs found on this scope?
Not spotted one yet.
Katie, you know what to do.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Frequent Contributor
Hi Katie - feel free to post your defects or enhancement requests in my introduction thread and I'll submit them to our tracker.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rohde-schwarz-oscilloscopes-questionscomments-let-me-know!/

-Rich

The following users thanked this post: kwass

Offline kwass

• Frequent Contributor
Not spotted one yet.
Katie, you know what to do.  ;)

Funny! But Rich kindly recommended his own thread for this purpose.
-katie

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
Hi Katie - feel free to post your defects or enhancement requests in my introduction thread and I'll submit them to our tracker.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rohde-schwarz-oscilloscopes-questionscomments-let-me-know!/

I'd like to report a defect in your link.  It should be: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rohde-schwarz-oscilloscopes-questionscomments-let-me-know!/

In general, it's a bad idea to put punctuation in thread subjects.

The following users thanked this post: Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
Just a heads up for those who want a few more probe accessories than the limited selection supplied with the RT-ZP03 these scopes come with.

The LeCroy "PKIT3-5MM-101" is completely compatible with the R&S probe (I assume they use the same OEM), and is available very cheaply from RS UK:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/oscilloscope-kits/8014925/ (5.20 GBP + VAT and only 6 left when I got mine)

(note that the spring hook grabber thing is a slightly different design but is still compatible)

This is a nice little kit, especially for spares of the most vulnerable parts, the BNC adaptor, low inductance ground spring and the RED (not pink) channel marker cable clip!

Seems that the US (i.e. non-RS) price is much higher, but I think they got the better end of the deal with $2k scopes.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 06:09:22 pm by Hydron »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, lukier

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf