Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3089860 times)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #6600 on: November 27, 2016, 02:10:56 am »
I don't think Wayne was trying to be rude. I'm pretty certain that "complete tosser!" is simply a friendly colloquialism in Darwin, it's really just a less formal version of "good on ya mate!". :-+

The trick is to apply the Australian rising inflection at the end and it sounds quite chirpy.

Ah....  No.

This phrase might be used as a friendly jibe in some situations, but they will usually be between people who are well known to each other.  This is not the case here, so there is nothing friendly about it.

"Tosser" is generally used anywhere in Australia as a derogatory reference.  While there may be some subtleties involved, you can often substitute the word "idiot" for a good sense of the intended meaning, as is the case here.   Wayne was pretty much calling Dave a complete idiot.

We don't really know how Wayne came to form his opinion, but I can imagine that his desire to market a product that could provide some usefulness - even if limited - would not react well to strong, negative criticism... whether that opinion was through discovery or grooming.

It is a shame that this whole subject has a very common problem.  The question asked is "Will it work?" - and people look to one of two answers: "Yes" or "No".

Such black and white answers are completely inappropriate in a world of grey.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 02:12:54 am by Brumby »

Offline Faith

• Supporter
« Reply #6601 on: November 27, 2016, 02:36:43 am »
Trivia:  USPS is actually one of the fastest shipping methods in the USA.  The Postal Service contracts with FedEx to fly the parcels, so stuff gets where it's going damned quick.

Bob is full of hot air. I sell stuff online a fair bit and even with cheap-shit "Economy Mail" with tracking that barely works the longest a parcel has ever been in transit from Singapore to the USA was three weeks. And that's rare, as Economy usually takes around two weeks. Also bear in mind that this is from Singapore, pretty much from half-way across the globe, *and* top it off with the fact that the parcel needs to be handled by my local postal services first before reaching USPS in the USA.

Priority, which doesn't cost all that much more, takes 7-10 calendar days (guaranteed) and EMS Express is so bloody quick (usually 3 calendar days) that I rarely even bother with DHL, FedEx or UPS, since I live walking distance from my local post office.

I also happen to buy stuff online a lot, and even Royal Fucking Mail from the UK, which has quite the reputation of being hopelessly crap (maybe it's a domestic thing, but they sure as hell are incredibly gung-ho and ridiculously value-for-money when it comes to international dispatch), manages to deliver Economy International Parcels in ONE WEEK which my sellers usually pay all of FIVE QUID for.

Actually, where is Bob shipping from again? China? If that's the case then he's even more full of shit than his body is able to contain because Chinese suppliers are quite well known for being able to squeeze incredible value and performance out of the shipping companies they contract.

TLDR; Bob is full of shit. But I think we all knew this already, from, oh; about 6,667 posts ago.
<3 ~Faith~

The following users thanked this post: LabSpokane

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6602 on: November 27, 2016, 09:36:27 am »
Customs can be a PITA but I can not imagine that all parcells are held for inspection.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6603 on: November 27, 2016, 09:39:50 am »
Customs can be a PITA but I can not imagine that all parcells are held for inspection.

Certainly not if you're posting to the USA from the USA.

(For those who arrived late: Bob is posting from the USA...)

Offline AmmoJammo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6604 on: November 27, 2016, 09:43:31 am »

The thing is though, to get pallet(s) of stock from China, to the USA, would have to come by ship, taking somewhere around 2 months all up....

He never mentioned this was happening, surely, if their production was complete, and the shipment was on the way, you'd mention this...

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6605 on: November 27, 2016, 09:47:06 am »

Thanks,
I am here from the beginning but I missed that part that they claimed all products are already in the USA  :bullshit:

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6606 on: November 27, 2016, 09:51:42 am »

Thanks,
I am here from the beginning but I missed that part that they claimed all products are already in the USA  :bullshit:

Here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-751-how-to-debunk-a-product-(the-batteriser)/msg1077837/#msg1077837

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #6607 on: November 27, 2016, 01:34:52 pm »
From latest developements I conclude, that the only stuff Bob can ship at the moment are a few samples, the old Batteriser prototype sleeves and some later Batteroo sleeves he took back home at his last trip to China, if he ever was there. The first shipping wave was just a few samples for some resellers or VIPs to prove that there's a product and that it's shipped. As already mentioned, this might be related to getting the next tranche from SK to be able to actually produce sleeves. All the money from crowdfunding backers is burned already. There could be a few more "I received mine and they work" posts, but I doubt backers getting their Batteroo sleeves soon, if at all. Bob doesn't even have all their postal addresses, as the posts on IGG show. If Bob was shipping for real, he would have asked each backer for the current address or to confirm the known one, and the shipping would be handled by some company in China to take advantage of the low shipping costs. It's an unmitigated disaster, and Bob tries to weasel through this while telling backers nonsense after nonsense.

Offline Revive Batteries

• !
« Reply #6608 on: November 27, 2016, 02:34:43 pm »
Post 1
This is the 1st time I’ve ever posted on a blog so I don’t know if I’ve done it correctly – I’m sure you will let me know.

Based on the amount of bullshit being spread about on this forum about me, I thought I might put my 2 bobs worth in and try to clear some things up. I’m going to do 2 posts and then you’ll never hear from me again.
Firstly, there seems to be a lot of speculation about me, who I am, what my business is all about and what my motives are etc. etc.etc. (some tosser even did a google map screen shot of my house with my mobile workshop trailer out the front and made a big deal about it? For fucks sakes – get your hand off your dick and re-focus on the important things in your life).
The only reason I’m even bothering to do this is because a lot of you have been seriously questioning my honesty and integrity (think about it for a minute – everything you say and infer on the internet stays there for others to find – why fucken do it if it’s not legit?)
Anyway, here it is:
•   What do I know about electrical engineering or physics? – 2 fifth’s of fuck all.
•   What is my background – got kicked out of university in 1977 for being disruptive and questioning too many things – went into retail – 23 years later after travelling the country and being in some senior management roles I decided to try something different – spent 12 years in a high end pearling company managing their production and distribution facilities and made a shitload of coin – pulled the pin in 2012 and started a hobby business reconditioning batteries.
•   What do I know about batteries – only what I taught myself – in 2007 we bought 20 acres about 1 hour out of Darwin and I decided to design and build a completely off grid house myself – it’s about 60% done – no fancy plans – just make it up as you go – that included a solar system and batteries – it now runs perfectly on second hand reconditioned batteries. (That’s where I was this weekend – drinking beer and having a fat time with my missus and mates)
•   I spend a lot of time looking for interesting and unusual products that may be worth selling – eg. I’m now the Aussie agent for Trollbridge24 (electrical, you may be interested in checking it out) – also Facecradle (another crowd funding product  I’m hoping to stock in our Newsagency – it’s a ripper – check it out)
•   I’m not big on the internet or how things on there work – it took me over an hour to work out how to put the torch tests and photos on facebook – but I do know how to find things and research them(check out my website and facebook – pretty average).

Why did I write that rude email to Dave?
Simple really: I made one comment on Indiegogo to say that I’d received my batteroo order and that they do increase the voltage of batteries – next minute everybody’s flogging the shit out of me? – this blog, emails, phone calls – WTF – and then to top it off, Dave back door’s me with an email offering to buy them all at some inflated price.
I’m not some dumb gullible fuck! (Although some of my mates might disagree but most of them are tossers anyway).

The next post will be about my dealings with Batteroo.

All the best, Wayne.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, lpickup, kalleboo, johndoe123, Blocco

Offline Revive Batteries

• !
« Reply #6609 on: November 27, 2016, 02:45:32 pm »
Post 2
So in the last week or so since I made a simple comment on Indiegogo, there a veritable shitload of experts on this forum who have decided they know exactly what my dealings have been and will be with Batteroo.
Let me clarify it for you – 100% up front for the record – no fucken bullshit!

1.   In about July last year, I stumbled across the Batteriser Indiegogo campaign and given my interest in batteries it looked quite interesting.
2.   I did a heap of research – I saw all the negative stuff – including this blog and all the you tube videos ( I could clearly understand what the scepticism was about)– I also researched all the individuals involved in the project (they seemed to be quite reputable people with wide ranging professional careers).
3.   I also tried to figure out what could be in it for them to scam a few hundred grand out of some Indiegogo supporters (or why they actually put it on there in the 1st place?) – it wouldn’t even cover a small % of the funds it would take to get this thing developed and to market.
4.   WTF – I decided to order 4 x AA packs and check it out – cost was US$35 plus $15 shipping – Total $50 (By the way –I have now recouped my $50 thanks to Lab Spokane on this blog – thanks for keeping your word even though you thought I was bullshitting about having them)
5.   In November last year I started hounding them about being a potential reseller in the Northern Territory – I never got any responses but kept trying – in April this year I got an email back and that resulted in a conference call to have a discussion – it was agreed that if things worked out that I could be a reseller / distributor for the product in my state – no firm commitments by either side until I had received and tested the product. (For the record – I have never seen, met or talked to Bob – these were senior managers in the company)
6.   Since then there have been a few emails – mostly updates regarding the delays and the trademark lawsuits filed by Energizer which set them back a long way (and a lot of money – why would Energizer sue them if there was no chance it would work?).
7.   In October, I went to California to go to the Desert Trip concert (how could I miss it with Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Neil Young, Paul McArtney, The Who & Roger Waters all at the same event? – fuck it was good). Anyway, because we were driving past, I arranged to stop in and see the people from Batteroo – we were supposed to have lunch but we were late so just had a look around the office.
8.   I was a bit surprised they were housed in a South Korea Telecom building – I later found out that this building is funded by SK Telecom to house up and coming tech start ups that they think have potential (I guess they do their homework on who gets in?)
9.   Our 2 friends were left in the car so my wife and I could not stay too long – we had a good look through all the offices and were shown around by 2 of the senior managers – we saw some admin people and some people doing testing etc. We were shown how the Batteriser increased the voltage on a number of batteries and also saw some gadgets running with the sleeves on that would not run with the sleeves off. We also discussed how I could be a reseller in the Northern Territory.
10.   One thing that has been made clear all along is that my potential market is very small and their focus is more about launching in the US and other larger markets so I’m a small fish in a big ocean. I was the one pushing them.
11.   I left a comment on Indiegogo when I got back to Aus – you’ve all seen it and some have had a go at me about it.
12.   Then I received my Indiegogo order last week and left another comment – which has lead to all this shit.(I don’t know if I got bumped up the list or not – as far as I know they are shipping based on where people are in the queue) 
13.   Why did I do the tests on the LED torches? Simple: they were the only fucken AA devices I could find around the house that would drain relatively quickly. (Who wants to wait around for a year to see how the batteries go in the wall clock or remote control – everything else I have is AAA and I never ordered any – my own fucken fault – I do have some AAA samples coming now though)
14.   So what’s my stand on all this? I don’t know! I’ve bought some AA products from Kmart to try them out next week and see what happens.

I’m sure all you experts are totally correct in the highly technical details of what you assume the product to be and you may well be 100% correct. I’m looking at it more from a practical viewpoint and whether there actually is some obvious benefit to the average consumer and whether it is a viable product. If for some reason there are dishonest intentions by the principles in this Company, it will come out very quickly and no doubt be dealt with by the applicable authorities.

One thing’s for sure, unless I’m 100% convinced, I won’t add it to my portfolio.

As you can see by now, I’m no expert in electronics but I do have a couple of points / questions that I have not seen come up on this forum.
•   There are very few examples that I can think of where batteries are subjected to a single constant drain until they are completely exhausted (some exceptions would be things like wall clocks, led alarm clocks, etc. – even items like remotes, computer mice & keyboards are only draining power when used?)These generally last for long periods of time anyway so not really worth measuring?
•   There have been a lot of references to “dead” batteries – when is a battery dead as opposed to being flat? Is there actually a point measurable when a battery is classified dead? To me, even a flat battery will have some energy left – whether it’s useable in a particular device is another story.
•   Voltage cut offs versus current cut offs – if an electronic device has a particular voltage cut off when it stops working and there is still some usable energy in the batteries, is it possible to trick that device into restarting by artificially raising the voltage while the remaining energy / current remains the same?
•   Self recovery – in my experience, batteries placed under a constant or one off heavy load will recover some of their voltage and energy when the load ceases – how do you build this into your analysis (for example, even the batteries I used in the torch tests recovered and were able to run the torches again after about an hour – 2 of them were up to 1.38 volts after dropping down to less than 1 volt)
•   A few of my mates are engineers – mostly civil and construction – they can be fucken weirdos at times (by their own admission) – why is it that you electrical mob are able to take this to a whole new level?
•   Here’s a thought or concept – there are so many people out there having a real go at developing disruptive new technology – some will succeed , some will fail dismally  – why not use your collective knowledge and talent to engage with them and assist where you can or steer them in the right direction if they are on the wrong track – you will feel so much better than joining together to belittle and ridicule them because they don’t quite come up to your perceived standards of how things should be – just a thought?

Anyway, this is my last comment on the subject but I’m sure you lot will be carrying on about it for eons to come. Any future tests or dealings I have regarding Batteroo will be kept totally to myself and out of the public sphere, there’s just too much vindictiveness out there for my liking.

All the best, Wayne.

The following users thanked this post: lpickup, kalleboo, johndoe123, Blocco

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6610 on: November 27, 2016, 02:53:32 pm »
Post 1
This is the 1st time I’ve ever posted on a blog so I don’t know if I’ve done it correctly – I’m sure you will let me know.

Based on the amount of bullshit being spread about on this forum about me, I thought I might put my 2 bobs worth in and try to clear some things up. I’m going to do 2 posts and then you’ll never hear from me again.
Firstly, there seems to be a lot of speculation about me, who I am, what my business is all about and what my motives are etc. etc.etc. (some tosser even did a google map screen shot of my house with my mobile workshop trailer out the front and made a big deal about it? For fucks sakes – get your hand off your dick and re-focus on the important things in your life).
The only reason I’m even bothering to do this is because a lot of you have been seriously questioning my honesty and integrity (think about it for a minute – everything you say and infer on the internet stays there for others to find – why fucken do it if it’s not legit?)
Anyway, here it is:
•   What do I know about electrical engineering or physics? – 2 fifth’s of fuck all.
•   What is my background – got kicked out of university in 1977 for being disruptive and questioning too many things – went into retail – 23 years later after travelling the country and being in some senior management roles I decided to try something different – spent 12 years in a high end pearling company managing their production and distribution facilities and made a shitload of coin – pulled the pin in 2012 and started a hobby business reconditioning batteries.
•   What do I know about batteries – only what I taught myself – in 2007 we bought 20 acres about 1 hour out of Darwin and I decided to design and build a completely off grid house myself – it’s about 60% done – no fancy plans – just make it up as you go – that included a solar system and batteries – it now runs perfectly on second hand reconditioned batteries. (That’s where I was this weekend – drinking beer and having a fat time with my missus and mates)
•   I spend a lot of time looking for interesting and unusual products that may be worth selling – eg. I’m now the Aussie agent for Trollbridge24 (electrical, you may be interested in checking it out) – also Facecradle (another crowd funding product  I’m hoping to stock in our Newsagency – it’s a ripper – check it out)
•   I’m not big on the internet or how things on there work – it took me over an hour to work out how to put the torch tests and photos on facebook – but I do know how to find things and research them(check out my website and facebook – pretty average).

Why did I write that rude email to Dave?
Simple really: I made one comment on Indiegogo to say that I’d received my batteroo order and that they do increase the voltage of batteries – next minute everybody’s flogging the shit out of me? – this blog, emails, phone calls – WTF – and then to top it off, Dave back door’s me with an email offering to buy them all at some inflated price.
I’m not some dumb gullible fuck! (Although some of my mates might disagree but most of them are tossers anyway).

The next post will be about my dealings with Batteroo.

All the best, Wayne.

Post 2
So in the last week or so since I made a simple comment on Indiegogo, there a veritable shitload of experts on this forum who have decided they know exactly what my dealings have been and will be with Batteroo.
Let me clarify it for you – 100% up front for the record – no fucken bullshit!

1.   In about July last year, I stumbled across the Batteriser Indiegogo campaign and given my interest in batteries it looked quite interesting.
2.   I did a heap of research – I saw all the negative stuff – including this blog and all the you tube videos ( I could clearly understand what the scepticism was about)– I also researched all the individuals involved in the project (they seemed to be quite reputable people with wide ranging professional careers).
3.   I also tried to figure out what could be in it for them to scam a few hundred grand out of some Indiegogo supporters (or why they actually put it on there in the 1st place?) – it wouldn’t even cover a small % of the funds it would take to get this thing developed and to market.
4.   WTF – I decided to order 4 x AA packs and check it out – cost was US$35 plus $15 shipping – Total $50 (By the way –I have now recouped my $50 thanks to Lab Spokane on this blog – thanks for keeping your word even though you thought I was bullshitting about having them)
5.   In November last year I started hounding them about being a potential reseller in the Northern Territory – I never got any responses but kept trying – in April this year I got an email back and that resulted in a conference call to have a discussion – it was agreed that if things worked out that I could be a reseller / distributor for the product in my state – no firm commitments by either side until I had received and tested the product. (For the record – I have never seen, met or talked to Bob – these were senior managers in the company)
6.   Since then there have been a few emails – mostly updates regarding the delays and the trademark lawsuits filed by Energizer which set them back a long way (and a lot of money – why would Energizer sue them if there was no chance it would work?).
7.   In October, I went to California to go to the Desert Trip concert (how could I miss it with Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, Neil Young, Paul McArtney, The Who & Roger Waters all at the same event? – fuck it was good). Anyway, because we were driving past, I arranged to stop in and see the people from Batteroo – we were supposed to have lunch but we were late so just had a look around the office.
8.   I was a bit surprised they were housed in a South Korea Telecom building – I later found out that this building is funded by SK Telecom to house up and coming tech start ups that they think have potential (I guess they do their homework on who gets in?)
9.   Our 2 friends were left in the car so my wife and I could not stay too long – we had a good look through all the offices and were shown around by 2 of the senior managers – we saw some admin people and some people doing testing etc. We were shown how the Batteriser increased the voltage on a number of batteries and also saw some gadgets running with the sleeves on that would not run with the sleeves off. We also discussed how I could be a reseller in the Northern Territory.
10.   One thing that has been made clear all along is that my potential market is very small and their focus is more about launching in the US and other larger markets so I’m a small fish in a big ocean. I was the one pushing them.
11.   I left a comment on Indiegogo when I got back to Aus – you’ve all seen it and some have had a go at me about it.
12.   Then I received my Indiegogo order last week and left another comment – which has lead to all this shit.(I don’t know if I got bumped up the list or not – as far as I know they are shipping based on where people are in the queue) 
13.   Why did I do the tests on the LED torches? Simple: they were the only fucken AA devices I could find around the house that would drain relatively quickly. (Who wants to wait around for a year to see how the batteries go in the wall clock or remote control – everything else I have is AAA and I never ordered any – my own fucken fault – I do have some AAA samples coming now though)
14.   So what’s my stand on all this? I don’t know! I’ve bought some AA products from Kmart to try them out next week and see what happens.

I’m sure all you experts are totally correct in the highly technical details of what you assume the product to be and you may well be 100% correct. I’m looking at it more from a practical viewpoint and whether there actually is some obvious benefit to the average consumer and whether it is a viable product. If for some reason there are dishonest intentions by the principles in this Company, it will come out very quickly and no doubt be dealt with by the applicable authorities.

One thing’s for sure, unless I’m 100% convinced, I won’t add it to my portfolio.

As you can see by now, I’m no expert in electronics but I do have a couple of points / questions that I have not seen come up on this forum.
•   There are very few examples that I can think of where batteries are subjected to a single constant drain until they are completely exhausted (some exceptions would be things like wall clocks, led alarm clocks, etc. – even items like remotes, computer mice & keyboards are only draining power when used?)These generally last for long periods of time anyway so not really worth measuring?
•   There have been a lot of references to “dead” batteries – when is a battery dead as opposed to being flat? Is there actually a point measurable when a battery is classified dead? To me, even a flat battery will have some energy left – whether it’s useable in a particular device is another story.
•   Voltage cut offs versus current cut offs – if an electronic device has a particular voltage cut off when it stops working and there is still some usable energy in the batteries, is it possible to trick that device into restarting by artificially raising the voltage while the remaining energy / current remains the same?
•   Self recovery – in my experience, batteries placed under a constant or one off heavy load will recover some of their voltage and energy when the load ceases – how do you build this into your analysis (for example, even the batteries I used in the torch tests recovered and were able to run the torches again after about an hour – 2 of them were up to 1.38 volts after dropping down to less than 1 volt)
•   A few of my mates are engineers – mostly civil and construction – they can be fucken weirdos at times (by their own admission) – why is it that you electrical mob are able to take this to a whole new level?
•   Here’s a thought or concept – there are so many people out there having a real go at developing disruptive new technology – some will succeed , some will fail dismally  – why not use your collective knowledge and talent to engage with them and assist where you can or steer them in the right direction if they are on the wrong track – you will feel so much better than joining together to belittle and ridicule them because they don’t quite come up to your perceived standards of how things should be – just a thought?

Anyway, this is my last comment on the subject but I’m sure you lot will be carrying on about it for eons to come. Any future tests or dealings I have regarding Batteroo will be kept totally to myself and out of the public sphere, there’s just too much vindictiveness out there for my liking.

All the best, Wayne.

Quoted & secured.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #6611 on: November 27, 2016, 03:02:47 pm »
Wayne, you are reacting a bit emotional, but it is understandable because of the reaction of Dave's crowd :) But if you want to know the obvious benefit to the average consumer and whether it is a viable product, you should really send Dave some sleeves. He can do all sorts of tests and even summarize in simple words if it has some benefit to the average consumer. See for example his playlists and the video comments to judge if he is competent enough to do the tests:
https://www.youtube.com/user/EEVblog/playlists
The "Solar Power Systems" playlist might be even interesting for your solar cell buildings, and the "Batteries & Charging" playlist for your business.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, amirm

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6612 on: November 27, 2016, 03:08:27 pm »
That cleared up some things. :D

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6613 on: November 27, 2016, 03:31:13 pm »
(and a lot of money – why would Energizer sue them if there was no chance it would work?).

People protecting trademarks just react if the name is anything like theirs, especially if it's in a related field. It's got nothing to do with practicality, it's all to do with the name.

Two examples:

I was a non-executive director of the London Internet Exchange, more often referred to as LINX. We made a registered trademark application for both names. The London Stock Exchange put in a formal objection simply because of the two word similarity, both words being descriptive of what we did - we won that one.

I also used to be a tech journalist. Any journalist will tell you that if they described something as "the Rolls Royce of X", where X was the product category, that a few days after publication they would get a cease and dissident letter from Rolls Royce's lawyers. They do this, not because they really care whether you use them as the touchstone of perfection, but because they need to be able to prove that they have taken steps to defend their trademark in case of future serious infringement that results in a court case.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6614 on: November 27, 2016, 03:38:49 pm »
Quoted & secured.

And some people wonder why Wayne thinks we're a bunch of dicks. That really was unnecessary. If you genuinely thought that there was some possibility that Wayne would come back and 'tamper' with his post by editing it, then you could have found a way of quoting all of it for security without making such a confrontational remark.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: PeterL, SL4P, lpickup, Brumby

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6615 on: November 27, 2016, 04:13:59 pm »
got kicked out of university in 1977 for being disruptive and questioning too many things

This sounds very dramatic but i have problems believing universities kick students out for asking questions
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Blocco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6616 on: November 27, 2016, 04:33:26 pm »
Post 1

Based on the amount of bullshit......

Thanks Wayne, for taking the time to respond.

I agree with a comment made earlier that the best way to proceed and avoid any more controversy and misunderstanding is to send a Batteroo sleeve across to Dave for a comprehensive and honest evaluation so that the performance characteristics of the sleeves can be known. This would also be of benefit to you in deciding whether or not you should become a re-seller.

The main reason there is so much skepticism over this product is because Batteroo have made incredible and inconsistent performance claims for their magic sleeves but have not published any specifications which tends to make people suspicious.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6617 on: November 27, 2016, 04:40:37 pm »
Quoted & secured.

And some people wonder why Wayne thinks we're a bunch of dicks. That really was unnecessary. If you genuinely thought that there was some possibility that Wayne would come back and 'tamper' with his post by editing it, then you could have found a way of quoting all of it for security without making such a confrontational remark.

Yep. Totally unnecessary.

Wayne,

Thanks for writing.

The thing you're missing is that the anger you're seeing is because Batteroo are a bunch of lying fraudsters. This thing is 100% a scam. Snake oil of the very highest purity. They're taking people's money under false pretenses and that makes people angry.

Secondly, Bob has been making claims about shipping for a year and a half so when ONE box of batterisers turns up at somebody's house it's natural that the spotlight turns on them.

That one person, the guy who received the very first (and only) box of Batterisers, was you. You won the Batteriser lottery.

So ... I'm going to say one thing and I hope you'll listen:

Please stand back a few yards and look at who Dave(the guy who runs EEVBLOG) is. He's a bloke who's freely made 1000+ educational videos for Youtube and because of them has becaome a highly respected member of the electronics community.

He's totally legit, he doesn't bullshit. He's your kind of guy.

Take a look at a few randomly chose videos of his and decide for yourself what sort of person he is.

The very, very best thing you could possibly do right now is post a couple of batterisers to Dave. EEVBLOG Dave.

Why would you do that? Because Batteroo are a bunch of lying conmen who are taking people's money under false pretenses, that's why.

Batteriser doesn't work! I can say that with the same certainty as saying "2+2 doesn't make 5".

But... Bob is busy taking people's money under false pretenses by claiming that "2+2=8".

Thanks for making it this far.

Now, to answer a few questions:

First of all, Batteriser is just a DC boost converter. You can buy them on eBay for 20 cents. Batteroo haven't invented anything, they just made a very small one.

The "technical details" aren't assumed by us, they're known with 100% certainty.

We can measure the amount of power in a battery. We can put it in a device until the device stops working and measure the power left in the battery afterwards (usually a couple of percent). We don't need a batteriser in our hands for that, we can be 100% sure Batteriser isn't going to make batteries last longer.

The only question is "How bad is Batteriser, how much power loss is there in Batteriser's DC converter?" (miniaturization has a cost in efficiency). That's it.

Doesn't matter. The total number of available electrons in a battery is constant. You can't get more than that. If devices are pulling (eg.) 95% of the electrons out of a battery then nothing Batteroo or anybody else can do will get more than the remaining 5%. That's physics (and it works).

It's very hard to get every last electron out of a battery. They'll always recover a tiny bit if you leave them long enough. The confusion comes from measuring the voltage when there's no load applied to them - the reading you get will always be false (see next question).

What you're seeing is called "Equivalent Series Resistance" ('ESR') by engineers.

Imagine there's a resistor connected to the output terminal of every battery ever made. That's ESR.

ESR increases as a battery is used up, that's why you see the voltage go down (inside the battery it's still 1.5V but you see less at the terminals).

The voltage you see at the terminals depends on the load being applied to the battery. That's why measuring battery voltage with no load is pointless. If you leave it long enough it'll go back to 1.5V. That doesn't mean there's magically more electrons available, it just means the chemicals have evened out a bit internally. As soon as you apply a load the voltage will drop rapidly back to where it was.

Yes, but most devices are designed with as low a cutoff as possible. The number of devices where that line of thinking is worthwhile is very, very, very small.

I don't know exactly who contacted you but imagine there was 100,000 of your mates at a party and you attracted the very worst of them ... it wouldn't be good, right?

That's probably the electrical engineers you just met.

There's really nothing for Batteroo to succeed at.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 05:03:59 pm by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, madires

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #6618 on: November 27, 2016, 04:49:30 pm »
Sounds like the Wayne story is over, my guess is he is a man of his word and will not post again.  Maybe he will update them by Modifying them.

I enjoyed driving by his house via Google.  The pearling thing sounds dreadful  (Edit - took out link about this)
I never heard of pearling before so I had to look it up. 
Loved the discussion on tosser.  I like the word and wished we used it.  Back to waiting for the next customer. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 05:12:56 pm by ez24 »
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline amirm

• Regular Contributor
    • Audio Science Review
« Reply #6619 on: November 27, 2016, 05:26:03 pm »
Wayne, thanks for the story.  But all we want to know is why you didn't want to send a sample to Dave to test.  Just one out of the few you have.  It could be a loan and you would get it back.  Nothing in all that you have written explains this.  You say you want to know if this works.  Well, that would be the way: loan one to your countryman to test.

To give some solid motivation here, I will pay you $100 for a one week loan of a single sleeve to Dave.  It is the fastest way to make a buck and help with your solar off-grid project.

What say you???  Just contact Dave via email and let him know you are doing it and allow him to send me your email address and I will paypal the money.

Edit: oh, Dave needs to advise if he needs more than one to test.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 05:28:06 pm by amirm »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6620 on: November 27, 2016, 05:40:35 pm »
To give some solid motivation here, I will pay you $100 for a one week loan of a single sleeve to Dave.  It is the fastest way to make a buck and help with your solar off-grid project.

I'm guessing LabSpokane would be the best person to approach Wayne with that sort of offer. I'm sure he'd part with a couple of them for $100.

PS: Wayne, if you need any help with an off-grid project then this is a good place to ask.

The following users thanked this post: kalleboo

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #6621 on: November 27, 2016, 05:42:29 pm »
It's very hard to get every last electron out of a battery. They'll always recover a tiny bit if you leave them long enough. The confusion comes from measuring the voltage when there's no load applied to them - the reading you get will always be false (see next question).
It is indeed very hard to get electrons out of a battery at all without having them sneaking back in at the other terminal :)
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

The following users thanked this post: vinicius.jlantunes

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6622 on: November 27, 2016, 05:48:03 pm »
It is indeed very hard to get electrons out of a battery at all without having them sneaking back in at the other terminal :)
The real trick is to get them to go around several times...  ;)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 05:52:25 pm by Fungus »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6623 on: November 27, 2016, 06:18:55 pm »
The real trick is to get them to go around several times...  ;)

They do do that, but kind of slowly, and you really can't be sure if any particular electron has been around the second time as well, it could be another identical one.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6624 on: November 27, 2016, 06:23:01 pm »

I'm guessing LabSpokane would be the best person to approach Wayne with that sort of offer. I'm sure he'd part with a couple of them for $100.

PS: Wayne, if you need any help with an off-grid project then this is a good place to ask.

What Wayne has are clearly the pre-production samples, and by the data already shown, clearly do not work as intended.

Wayne has already said no, and he is not motivated by money. If he should change his mind, we can talk about pooling some funds to compensate him for sending a few to Dave. It could be interesting, but will solve little since they are not production units with the "custom" IC. At least one of them needs to have the potting removed in order to access the component side of the PCB.

Once again, I'm going to urge all participants here to remain respectful.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, SL4P

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf