Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3086460 times)

Offline trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #8400 on: February 12, 2017, 05:28:11 am »
Oh look, a team of researches is using a boost converter properly, don't tell the batterpoo guys or they'll decide to pivot into the patent troll business!  :-DD

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/02/gut-juice-could-power-the-next-generation-of-health-gadgets/

Swapping citric acid for gut acid, the researchers created their own tiny Zn-Cu cells using cheap, commercially available, bio-compatible materials. The first device was for continuous, wireless temperature monitoring. It consisted of a microcontroller that included a radio frequency transmitter and a temperature sensor (among other things) and an "energy-harvesting boost-converter integrated circuit," which "took energy directly from the Zn–Cu cell at low voltage (0.1–0.2 V) and boosted it onto a temporary storage capacitor at a higher voltage (2.2–3.3 V) for use by the circuits.”

Not sure how I feel about the electrochemical process that would be going on in my gut.

But then, I suppose this is still on topic .... boost converter solutions that are hard to swallow.

Sorry for being off topic:

I'd say the idea of using stomach acid is more of a solution looking for a problem. The "battery" only works while the device is in the stomach because the acid is neutralized when it gets into the intestines due to bicarbonate released by the pancreas. Overall, the device will spend more time in the intestines than the stomach itself. Add to the fact that children swallow batteries all the time and most of the time there is no harm - they just poop it out. The only big danger is if the battery gets lodged in an area such as the esophagus where it could cause erosion leading to perforation. Generally speaking, after a battery passes through the pyloric sphicter it is more like "meh".

To try to tie it in with the Batteroo... this idea is much like the Batteroo in that its usefulness is very limited. If they can get the device to stay in the stomach then maybe - perhaps applications such as a gastric pH sensor, gastric motility/volume monitoring, "smart" G-tube, or even monitoring H. Pylori though it would probably be easier/cheaper just to test stool for antigens. Still easier to just use a battery as it would be less complicated and there would be less points of failure.

Offline Blocco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8401 on: February 12, 2017, 10:53:14 pm »
Another pointless video containing unjustified claims about saving money and the environment.....
https://youtu.be/q-SF9EvPC68

Offline nugglix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8402 on: February 13, 2017, 05:44:05 am »
This guy can't even distinguish between a start-up and crowd-funding.  |O
Don't even try to understand his pronunciation of Batteroo.

But hey, Germany now has an official batterboo monkey.

Luckily this guy has only 2 videos out.

Btw, the last link below the video is quite okay -- from our point of view.  :P

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8403 on: February 13, 2017, 08:32:11 am »
The fact that he owns a Rittal Key (which he uses to open the lamp) would suggest that he's an electrician. He should know better.

And what's a "Bateroh"??  :D

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8404 on: February 13, 2017, 09:02:32 am »
Yikes!  :palm: The huge amount of "äääähs" he says makes watching very painfull for me - besides the stupid Batteroo claims he repeats like a lemming that was paid by "Bateruh"...
I mean, seriously, I couldn't bear his sleepy voice any longer than one and a half minute so I decided to jump through the videos. Regardless where I clicked, every time I heard only "äääh". o.o Coincidence? Bad Karma?
And what kind of Tutorial is this supposed to be? How to place a battery inside a Bateruh? How to repeat marketing phrases that are totaly wrong? How to spread the word of evil?
Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8405 on: February 13, 2017, 10:13:15 am »
I'm afraid I've been carefully recharging primary batteries for decades, of course they can only take a gentle partial charge.

Still a lot more than you'll get with a Batteroo though.

(a LOT more...)

If Batteroo want to do something useful they could make a gadget that 'rejuvenates' alkalines (ie. recharges them a little bit).

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8406 on: February 13, 2017, 10:50:34 am »
If Batteroo want to do something useful they could make a gadget that 'rejuvenates' alkalines (ie. recharges them a little bit).

Please don't. They already have a product which causes batteries to leak, short out and overheat not to mention a battery sleeve which can maim a person upon insertion. I'm sure the Fire Brigade won't appreciate an increase in house fires thanks to Batteroo.

However if they wanted to enter the fireworks industry, perhaps there's a place for them there? Special low voltage igniter anyone?

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8407 on: February 13, 2017, 11:14:22 am »

Please don't. They already have a product which causes batteries to leak, short out and overheat not to mention a battery sleeve which can maim a person upon insertion. I'm sure the Fire Brigade won't appreciate an increase in house fires thanks to Batteroo.

However if they wanted to enter the fireworks industry, perhaps there's a place for them there? Special low voltage igniter anyone?

I've got a charger that does nicad nimh and alkaline batteries but since discovering 40 cell bulk packs of Duracell AA & AAA Batteries for $19.99 on catch of the day a few years ago, I no longer bother with it.

https://www.catchoftheday.com.au/event/59811/product/duracell-aa-batteries-40-pack-119526/

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #8408 on: February 13, 2017, 05:17:13 pm »
And what kind of Tutorial is this supposed to be? How to place a battery inside a Bateruh?

He didn't get this right either: stupid idea to place the sleeves first in the product, then the battery.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8409 on: February 13, 2017, 08:28:11 pm »

I've got a charger that does nicad nimh and alkaline batteries but since discovering 40 cell bulk packs of Duracell AA & AAA Batteries for $19.99 on catch of the day a few years ago, I no longer bother with it.

https://www.catchoftheday.com.au/event/59811/product/duracell-aa-batteries-40-pack-119526/

That charger is likely intended for rechargeable alkaline batteries, which are designed not to leak. Normal alkaline are not, and while it is possible to recharge them, it is much more likely to make a corrosive mess.

Offline Blocco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8410 on: February 14, 2017, 12:00:07 am »
Has anyone else noticed the large number of views the pro Batteroo videos have received in just a few days? e.g. Farid's awful video is at 9656, the clock guy is at 9491, accordion guy is at 9331 and they all have a very similar number of likes at around 170 and many of the other pro Batteroo videos have very similar figures as well. The re-released Apple keyboard demo was only published 3 days ago but look at the figures, 9115 views and 172 likes. The oximeter, published 4 days ago and already at 9193 views and 161 likes etc. etc....

Are Batteroo up to their old tricks again? Surely not.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:03:41 am by Blocco »

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8411 on: February 14, 2017, 12:05:02 am »
Has anyone else noticed the large number of views the pro Batteroo videos have received in just a few days? e.g. Farid's awful video is at 9656, the clock guy is at 9491, accordion guy is at 9331 and they all have a very similar number of likes at around 170 and many of the other pro Batteroo videos have very similar figures as well. The re-released Apple keyboard demo was only published 3 days ago but look at the figures, 9115 views and 172 likes. The oximeter, published 4 days ago and already at 9193 views and 161 likes etc. etc....

Are Batteroo up to their old tricks again? Surely not.

Yep, guaranteed.
No possible way to get that traffic otherwise on those videos, and the view numbers are almost identical. They are paying for views, how pathetic.

The following users thanked this post: StuUK, rx8pilot, Brumby, ccs46

Offline daveake

• Contributor
« Reply #8412 on: February 14, 2017, 09:29:24 am »
Bob is still deleting the stronger complaints, and auto-responding to everything else.  Latest, for the record:

Offline Blocco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8413 on: February 14, 2017, 05:51:37 pm »
The Batteroo YouTube view counts are still increasing rapidly. What's also interesting are the clusters of moronic positive comments that have suddenly appeared and all at the same time (7 hours ago).

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 06:18:12 pm by Blocco »

Offline dr_frost_dk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8414 on: February 14, 2017, 06:30:09 pm »
Another re-upload, 20 minuts = 3 views, just to keep taps on the inrush of views

Offline Hensingler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8415 on: February 14, 2017, 06:52:30 pm »
What's also interesting are the clusters of moronic positive comments that have suddenly appeared and all at the same time (7 hours ago).

If you look at some of the accounts you will see they liked many of the same videos at the same time. Quite obviously fake accounts registering fake views and likes. If you look at the other videos they liked you will find many more moronic positive comments from other obviously fake accounts.

Don't understand why google can't be a bit more active shutting down such accounts. Do theses accounts fetch adverts which allows google to benefit from the fraud?

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8416 on: February 14, 2017, 07:38:14 pm »
Top marks to "Frank Cordova" though, for slipping in a Dave phrase!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8417 on: February 14, 2017, 10:24:28 pm »
Another re-upload, 20 minuts = 3 views, just to keep taps on the inrush of views

Down-voted and commented, bet my comment will be deleted shortly!

Complete con, Batteroo wastes battery capacity because it isn't 100% efficient in its power conversion (nothing ever is)! Total Con job!?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8418 on: February 14, 2017, 10:33:23 pm »

I think I've got to at least buy one of those GPS's and bust that video wide open now that I have the AA versions.

The following users thanked this post: djos

Offline Avacee

• Supporter
« Reply #8419 on: February 14, 2017, 11:18:01 pm »
Is that the same GPS video re-uploaded that Technology Catalyst debunked?

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8420 on: February 14, 2017, 11:18:56 pm »
Why isn't anyone interested in discussing the two possible failure modes of the Batteroo in multiple battery cell applications that could lead to a fused IC and a shorted battery?

The testing for these problems is much easier then the battery life testing and it can be done non-destructively.

If you buy Batteroos thinking it will make something run longer and instead it runs shorter, it ultimately is no big disaster. You just waste a bit of money. If you put out a video showing the Batteroo life shorter, Batteroo can put out 10 videos showing a much longer life.

If the sleeve can short out a cell in your $1000 device, that could be very nasty. If you can show that the device is inherently unreliable, that is very hard for Batteroo to counter. I just think it is worth someone spending a few hours on this.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 11:29:11 pm by amspire »

The following users thanked this post: digsys

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8421 on: February 15, 2017, 07:28:21 am »
Is that the same GPS video re-uploaded that Technology Catalyst debunked?

Yep, but would be cool to redo it with actual Batterisers.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8422 on: February 15, 2017, 07:28:53 am »
If the sleeve can short out a cell in your $1000 device, that could be very nasty. If you can show that the device is inherently unreliable, that is very hard for Batteroo to counter. I just think it is worth someone spending a few hours on this.

It's never "a few hours"  ;D

Offline kalleboo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8423 on: February 15, 2017, 07:32:59 am »
Why isn't anyone interested in discussing the two possible failure modes of the Batteroo in multiple battery cell applications that could lead to a fused IC and a shorted battery?

The testing for these problems is much easier then the battery life testing and it can be done non-destructively.
If you write down a simple test and the expected results for a safe product I'm sure someone will carry it out.

Offline Avacee

• Supporter
« Reply #8424 on: February 15, 2017, 08:57:35 am »
Yep, but would be cool to redo it with actual Batterisers.

Oh yeah - my mistake - he debunked the test not the innovative and patented batteroo boost technology  :-DD

I love the batteriser videos - this young player has learnt so much so much about batteries, testing methods, data interpretation and so much more.  :-+ :-+ :-+
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 12:51:50 pm by Avacee »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf