Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3083777 times)

Offline AmmoJammo

• Frequent Contributor
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #3500 on: December 11, 2015, 01:30:39 am »
Stainless isn't totally rubbish at conducting, I think roughly 15 milliohms for an 0.2mm thick AA batteriser sheet, but maybe, realising they need all the help they can, decided not to cut all the logo out of the C cell version  :)

except they're talking about using 0.1mm from memory, and don't forget there's a ~3 or 4mm wide section on the AAA and AA versions of the butteriser.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #3501 on: December 11, 2015, 02:16:11 am »
Give them a break, "the possibilities are endless"!  A CarBatteriser could be next!

Is this possible for $100 ?  I would pay $100 if I could get 5 secs one time from a dead car battery.  Right now I know my car will not start but would if I could get 5 secs.  I have a new battery in the trunk but I would rather have a CarBatteriser.  But I think tomorrow is the day I have to install the new battery (too far for an extension cord) because I do not have a CarBatteriser.

I cannot imagine the size of the components needed but if the size of a car battery and about $100 I would buy one.  My guess it is not possible.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3502 on: December 11, 2015, 03:37:12 am »
Give them a break, "the possibilities are endless"!  A CarBatteriser could be next!
Is this possible for $100 ?

No, it's not.
The main job of a car battery is to start your car. That requires hundreds of amps. If you battery can't deliver that, then no magic voodoo converter you add is going to help.
It would require another high current capable storage element, like another battery, or some form of super cap that you need to charge up.

The following users thanked this post: thomasb9511

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3503 on: December 11, 2015, 03:45:39 am »
Supercaps in series connected to the battery in parallel would work, however you have to load balance the charge.
I recall seeing some on e-bay, but modifying a car with external power or anything hooked at the electrical system is too risky for my blood.

I prefer my cars not on fire, not saying that device is dangerous but in my mind they are unproven.

Edit: Old listing but the balancer schematic picture is no longer available
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultracapacitor-Diesel-Engine-Battery-Starter-Booster-Car-Ultra-Super-Capacitor-/300900579759

Get a better battery instead.

Edit: Also photoinduction tried this thing

Available in the US as well but on a different name brand?
http://www.amazon.com/Current-13600mAh-Portable-Starter-Flashlight/dp/B00I02SVOC

Sorry for the derailment.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 04:09:36 am by miguelvp »

Offline l0rd_hex

• Regular Contributor
  • I'm a master of karate and friendship for everyone
« Reply #3504 on: December 11, 2015, 04:39:24 am »
I believe replacing the water in your battery with holy water will forgive your battery's sins and may result in a "born again" battery.
"I haven't paid taxes in six years, and I'm not getting busted by a damn sandwich." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3505 on: December 11, 2015, 06:44:33 am »

Is this possible for $100 ?

It's not possible at any price. Cars need extra amps, not extra volts.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3506 on: December 11, 2015, 06:45:27 am »
I wouldn't be surprised if this whole Batteriser bungle didn't bring IGG to it's knees - or at the very least to stimulate legal requirements for CF campaigns.

Have you browsed their campaigns...? Batteriser is nothing.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:02:45 am by Fungus »

Offline meeder

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3507 on: December 11, 2015, 07:10:12 am »
Supercaps in series connected to the battery in parallel would work, however you have to load balance the charge.
I recall seeing some on e-bay, but modifying a car with external power or anything hooked at the electrical system is too risky for my blood.

I prefer my cars not on fire, not saying that device is dangerous but in my mind they are unproven.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultracapacitor-Diesel-Engine-Battery-Starter-Booster-Car-Ultra-Super-Capacitor-/300900579759

http://www.amazon.com/Current-13600mAh-Portable-Starter-Flashlight/dp/B00I02SVOC

Let them start a diesel engine with that thing. I measured the current draw from the battery on my old mk2 Golf years ago. It drew 50 Amps to heat up the glowplugs for 5 to 10 seconds and then over 400A to crank the engine.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3508 on: December 11, 2015, 09:39:27 am »
... some companies ....
Some even considering debunking it themselves, but ultimately deemed it too stupid to waste their time on.

The debunking part of it was easy, may of us could have done it, even very fast.

But you did it in an educational way, with a neutral dry scientific approach.
There was no real need for a debunk because most of us already knew, but you (and others) also delivered a lot of extra details and information.
I think it's only a little minority here that already knew ALL aspects.

If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3509 on: December 11, 2015, 09:48:12 am »
I know he's being trolled, but he should recognize this and show some ounce of professionalism, it's ridiculous.

This anger may be a good indication as to how well their business is doing.

Isn't the Ali guy the same as the student guy that posted with different names on their Youtube channel?
It's nearly exam time for them, stress goes up.

The most dirty thing somebody could do at the moment is tell Daddy that Ali was on internet again instead of studying.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 09:56:50 am by Galenbo »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #3510 on: December 11, 2015, 10:27:30 am »

Let them start a diesel engine with that thing. I measured the current draw from the battery on my old mk2 Golf years ago. It drew 50 Amps to heat up the glowplugs for 5 to 10 seconds and then over 400A to crank the engine.

Mike started a truck with a Makita drill battery..

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3511 on: December 11, 2015, 10:28:55 am »
Isn't the Ali guy the same as the student guy that posted with different names on their Youtube channel?

No evidence of that.
The fan page kid claims to be "David Parish". But I have evidence he's used other names as well.
However someone on here did suggest it:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-751-how-to-debunk-a-product-(the-batteriser)/?action=dlattach;attach=170499
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 10:35:58 am by EEVblog »

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3512 on: December 11, 2015, 11:07:59 am »

Erm, if you watch the video, you will see him starting a Diesel engine in a Citroen van...

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #3513 on: December 11, 2015, 02:07:53 pm »
But it's a French car, that's why.
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3514 on: December 11, 2015, 02:47:56 pm »
Let's see it start a Diesel engine -> here is it starting a Diesel engine -> that doesn't count....  :palm:

Offline CrashO

• Supporter
« Reply #3515 on: December 11, 2015, 03:14:37 pm »
But it's a French car, that's why.
Correct.
French always runs best  ;D

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #3516 on: December 11, 2015, 04:32:37 pm »
How can they claim a UL listing as long as the product tested is not the same as they ship?

They've never claimed to be UL listed.

They had UL perform a battery life test of their own (Batteroo's) design and very carefully word that to fool many people into thinking they're saying it's UL listed when IT IS NOT.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:47:11 pm by drussell »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3517 on: December 11, 2015, 07:48:58 pm »
How can they claim a UL listing as long as the product tested is not the same as they ship?

They've never claimed to be UL listed.

They had UL perform a battery life test of their own (Batteroo's) design and very carefully word that to fool many people into thinking they're saying it's UL listed when IT IS NOT.

It seems that UL regrets doing it. The text of the "UL verified" headline on Batteroo's web page has changed several times now and no longer shows the test results. Presumably showing the one favorable page from the report was against the terms of the agreement (which requires it to be reproduced in full).

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3518 on: December 11, 2015, 10:17:29 pm »

The following users thanked this post: jpc

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3519 on: December 12, 2015, 12:22:00 am »

Err, they did... Watch the vid.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #3520 on: December 12, 2015, 12:46:14 am »
Was that box providing the whole starting current or was it boosting a battery that was just a little short on current?
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline l0rd_hex

• Regular Contributor
  • I'm a master of karate and friendship for everyone
« Reply #3521 on: December 12, 2015, 12:57:23 am »
Was that box providing the whole starting current or was it boosting a battery that was just a little short on current?

Affix your looking balls on the web filmette and all of your questions will be answered!!!

EDIT: can we get back on topic here?
"I haven't paid taxes in six years, and I'm not getting busted by a damn sandwich." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #3522 on: December 12, 2015, 01:23:56 am »
OK, time to get back on topic!
Please fork this if needed to chat about starting your car etc...
Too many alerts for non-Batteriser posts.
thx
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3523 on: December 12, 2015, 02:13:34 am »
Plan B: See if 3000 batterisers in series-parallel can jump start a car!

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3524 on: December 12, 2015, 02:17:52 am »
12 times this?

But I don't think they are going to make 9V batterisers.

Edit: 18V for two in series and connect them all in parallel it's going to be impossible ;)

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 02:23:58 am by miguelvp »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf