Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3083806 times)

Offline WN1X

• Supporter
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #4750 on: March 18, 2016, 10:44:53 pm »
Even the monkeys don't want to be associated with Battero.
- Jim

Offline rich

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4751 on: March 19, 2016, 12:25:08 am »
Latests from IGG comments. They won an industry award :wtf: :palm: Yeah, I know awards like these are usually just some incestuous back scratching and not based on pragmatic though, but it still leaves a bitter taste.

Original press release at:
http://ww2.frost.com/news/press-releases/top-executives-honored-prestigious-frost-sullivan-awards-gala/

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4752 on: March 19, 2016, 01:37:29 am »
'The Best Practices Awards are presented each year to companies that are predicted to encourage significant growth in their industries, have identified emerging trends before they became the standard in the marketplace, and have created advanced technologies that will catalyze and transform industries in the near future.'

Somebody at Frost Sullivan has been drinking the Batteroo Kool-Aid!

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #4753 on: March 19, 2016, 02:25:58 am »
Wow!

What complete and utter NONSENSE!!!

How do all these morons get away with this crap?!!

Edit: I have a feeling this is one of those organizations that you pay to have your name put in lights with their "prestigious" events (like typical joke of the the coffee table book of the 1000 top XYZ award people where they ask you how many copies you want to order for your friends and relatives)

Complete BS wankery disguised as actual prestige unless you someone actually tries to go looking, I assume...

Well, we know where the funders monetary contributions are going, at any rate...  :palm:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 02:35:04 am by drussell »

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4754 on: March 19, 2016, 02:40:46 am »
Maybe they should win the inaugural EEVblog Shonky Product Of The Year Award?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #4755 on: March 19, 2016, 02:45:23 am »
Sounds pretty fair to me - but some might have reservations, based on the technicality as to whether they really do have a 'product'.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4756 on: March 19, 2016, 02:47:50 am »
Lists Bob and Frankie as the inventors. So some of the ownership has been transferred from Frankie to Bob.
We also have Bob's employment history:
March 2011 to September 5th 2012 Bob was President of DigitalOptics Corp.
I wonder if Frankie was helping his brother by giving a share of the Batteriser Patent?

Bob got booted out of DigitalOptics
http://optics.org/press/1605
IIRC he sued them and got an $800K? payout. The link is somewhere in this huge thread.
So Bob had no shortage of money.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 02:50:07 am by EEVblog »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4757 on: March 19, 2016, 02:57:16 am »

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #4758 on: March 19, 2016, 03:51:50 am »
Make that a $940K termination payment from DigitalOptics:
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1261694/000092189513000895/dfan14a06297103_04302013.pdf

~$2,000,000

"On September 4, 2012, Tessera announced that Dr. Bob Roohparvar was departing the Company less than 18 months after he joined.  His departure cost shareholders close to $950,000 in cash severance, and $1 million when taking into account Dr. Roohparvar's post-departure consulting arrangement with the Company"
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/starboard-delivers-letter-to-tessera-technologies-board-191801441.html]
[url]http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/starboard-delivers-letter-to-tessera-technologies-board-191801441.html
[/url]

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #4759 on: March 19, 2016, 04:02:52 am »
And to think that I actually work for a living. I should get into tge the scam industry, it seems to pay well.

Sent from my horrible mobile....

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4760 on: March 19, 2016, 04:07:41 am »
So assuming that Bob has no other debts (ideally he shouldn't as a long standing highly paid executive), and more than million in the bank, and he truly believed in Batteriser, and he really is the serial entrepreneur he claims to be, why would he take the VC money?
Why not fund it himself, change the world with his revolutionary product, and keep every last cent and total control?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 04:10:14 am by EEVblog »

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #4761 on: March 19, 2016, 04:36:55 am »
Quote from: EEVblog
Look, this is a good scam, but surely that title HAS to goto Solar Roadways ! Purely based on the sheer number of people, and countries, taking it seriously !
I associate / visit Universities and other tech groups, and lots of their students think it's a great idea ! We're DOOMED I tell you.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #4762 on: March 19, 2016, 04:57:28 am »
So assuming that Bob has no other debts (ideally he shouldn't as a long standing highly paid executive), and more than million in the bank, and he truly believed in Batteriser, and he really is the serial entrepreneur he claims to be, why would he take the VC money?
Why not fund it himself, change the world with his revolutionary product, and keep every last cent and total control?
I'll play devils advocate... (and not that I believe).

1. No real financial information for the company. It's possible he has put money in.
2. There is no guarantee a company will make it even with the best invention; even with $1,000,000, many people would consider the majority off limits for startup gambling ($1,000,000 isn't enough for a lot of people to retire on while maintaining the same standard of living).
3. There are other major reasons to approach a VC. Many have connections you want, resources, experience. VC backing can bring some credibility to a company. Certain VCs increase PR exposure.
4. If you're forming a startup with other people, then you have to think about equity balance (one partner having too much control or not enough equity incentive to get people on board). You could still invest with a convertible or something, but you don't get the control with it so, not as attractive
5. If you really think the company has the potential to explode, then focusing on growing the company as fast as possible while taking some hit on the equity to do that is likely to put you in a far better spot. $1,000,000 doesn't last long, if at all, for a company moving fast so a VC might make sense

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 04:59:36 am by ChunkyPastaSauce »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4763 on: March 19, 2016, 05:12:34 am »
You are complicating things too much. Frankie sold Bob the patent and made tracks to his next job. Maybe not sold it but convinced him into doing this keeping himself employed until his new venture.

Of course it's just conjecture

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4764 on: March 19, 2016, 05:44:59 am »
That "award" company is a PR firm, or "Growth Consulting", as they call it. They are in the marketing business. That's like believing an ad copy when it tells you the product it is selling is the best.

There are many reviews of F&S out there. Apparently it costs about $20k-30k to be given an award. That must be why they can't afford a camera.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 05:48:44 am by Nerull »

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #4765 on: March 19, 2016, 06:16:31 am »
Oh well, if worse comes to worst then surely we as a community could perhaps all chip in a few cents each (<5) and buy them out lock, stock and bunnies

Lock, stock and monkeys...

Bunnies…. what the hell was I thinking of, perhaps the entire saga reminds me of a disgusting flea ridden rodent that helps itself to other peoples commodities and then scurries back down a dark hole in a cowardly fashion, waits for the dust to settle before they are back out and at it again in a nearby field.

Anyway hopefully they have been ferreted out once and for all, they certainly came-a-cropper in this instance.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4766 on: March 19, 2016, 07:17:38 am »

Why not? Choice.com.au have their Shonky Awards http://classic.choice.com.au/shonkyaward.aspx

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #4767 on: March 19, 2016, 07:35:34 am »

Why not? Choice.com.au have their Shonky Awards http://classic.choice.com.au/shonkyaward.aspx

I think you need an actual product to be eligible, insert the "we've got nothing" emoticon here, here and here.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 07:41:22 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4768 on: March 19, 2016, 08:06:21 am »
'The Best Practices Awards are presented each year to companies that are predicted to encourage significant growth in their industries, have identified emerging trends before they became the standard in the marketplace, and have created advanced technologies that will catalyze and transform industries in the near future.'

Somebody at Frost Sullivan has been drinking the Batteroo Kool-Aid!

" Frost & Sullivan’s 2016 Excellence in Best Practices Awards Gala was held Tuesday, March 15, in San Diego, Calif., at the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. The event brought together industry-leading executives to celebrate their success."

Sounds like an opportunity for a bunch of executives (read: rich old men) to get together and knead each others' egos, pat each other on the back for how much money they made (read: scammed/cheated/weazled) last financial year, and rub scented oils into each other in the spa while drinking lemon tea. Sounds like it would be right up Bob's alley, so to speak...

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #4769 on: March 19, 2016, 10:31:59 am »
That "award" company is a PR firm, or "Growth Consulting", as they call it. They are in the marketing business. That's like believing an ad copy when it tells you the product it is selling is the best.

There are many reviews of F&S out there. Apparently it costs about $20k-30k to be given an award. That must be why they can't afford a camera.

Sounds like an opportunity for a bunch of executives (read: rich old men) to get together and knead each others' egos, pat each other on the back for how much money they made (read: scammed/cheated/weazled) last financial year, and rub scented oils into each other in the spa while drinking lemon tea. Sounds like it would be right up Bob's alley, so to speak...

Precisely what I thought...  :palm:

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 10:34:06 am by drussell »

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4770 on: March 19, 2016, 06:07:53 pm »
Oh well, if worse comes to worst then surely we as a community could perhaps all chip in a few cents each (<5) and buy them out lock, stock and bunnies

Bunnies…. what the hell was I thinking of, perhaps the entire saga reminds me of a disgusting flea ridden rodent that helps itself to other peoples commodities and then scurries back down a dark hole in a cowardly fashion, waits for the dust to settle before they are back out and at it again in a nearby field.

Anyway hopefully they have been ferreted out once and for all, they certainly came-a-cropper in this instance.

I dunno about that, sometimes you have to watch out for those rabbits

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #4771 on: March 19, 2016, 06:40:21 pm »

I dunno about that, sometimes you have to watch out for those rabbits

That... video... was... AWESOME!!!

Offline AmmoJammo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4772 on: March 20, 2016, 07:11:17 am »

Or, to be closer to the original figures of speech:
Lock, stock and barrel of monkeys  ;)

lock, stock and two smoking barrels of monkeys ;)

Offline akohler

• Contributor
« Reply #4773 on: March 20, 2016, 08:33:42 pm »
Batteriser has $400k of people's money, not well-off investors, but people. Now they are ignoring the people.

I wrote the following to Indiegogo. I kept it to the point, and in regards to their policies.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Campaign is claiming to do the impossible: Claims refuted by NUMEROUS professionals.

Repeatedly breaking promises and/or commitments to Contributors (including delivering any Perks).

Poor communication with contributors, despite numerous requests.

Suspected immoral or unethical behavior, including fraudulent claims against, and hiring 3rd parties to defame, those who fairly-dispute campaigner's claims.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For the people who contributed to Batteriser, I encourage you all to do the same. Be polite, be factual. Hopefully, this will cause Indiegogo to put _some_ kind of pressure on Batteriser to communicate better with their supporters.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4774 on: March 20, 2016, 09:43:07 pm »
For the people who contributed to Batteriser, I encourage you all to do the same. Be polite, be factual. Hopefully, this will cause Indiegogo to put _some_ kind of pressure on Batteriser to communicate better with their supporters.

IndieGoGo don't care. Several people already wrote to them about this (including me).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf