Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3087025 times)

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #6575 on: November 26, 2016, 08:47:09 am »
Most people use rechargeable ones.
Yeah sorry, what I meant was ones with replaceable batteries?  I only know the Braun/OralB and Philips ones.
I have one similar to that in your teardown, and if it ran on alkaline's it would easily chew through 50 batteries a year. That makes no sense to me.

So toothbrushes that run on replaceable batteries? anyone?

Oral-B sells one, DB4010. https://www.conrad.nl/nl/oral-b-advance-power-elektrische-tandenborstel-roterend-oscillerend-wit-blauw-827822.html

Offline kalleboo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6576 on: November 26, 2016, 08:58:22 am »
I use one that runs on AA's. I used to travel a lot and the inductive charging stations for the rechargeable ones always took up too much space, and most of them weren't international voltage at the time. I still use it, albeit with eneloops now.

The battery powered ones also probably cost a third or less than the rechargeable ones.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6577 on: November 26, 2016, 09:21:23 am »
Yeah sorry, what I meant was ones with replaceable batteries?  I only know the Braun/OralB and Philips ones.
I have one similar to that in your teardown, and if it ran on alkaline's it would easily chew through 50 batteries a year. That makes no sense to me.

There was a Philips Sonicare powered by alkaline batteries, but they discontinued it. It seems they couldn't seal it properly, water got in and customers kept complaining about it failing. I regret not buying a spare or two while they were available.

I have one and it runs for three to four weeks on a set of batteries. I use rechargeable batteries--they are much more suitable for such a device than alkalines. They are more powerful and have a flatter discharge curve.

Mind you, at 4/$1, 48 alkaline batteries would only cost $12+tax. That would be right down in the noise of my routine expenses.

Offline Blocco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6578 on: November 26, 2016, 09:23:59 am »
Electric toothbrushes that run on AA or AAA cell(s) are the only devices I own where I think a Batteroo could bring an improvement because as the motor slows down the performance falls considerably and they become ineffective even though they continue to run for quite a long time.

However, the battery compartments tend to be quite tight so the Batteroo might not fit some toothbrushes, usually when the battery is exhausted the toothbrush needs replacing anyway and a new one includes a battery and often, they are not designed to have the cell(s) replaced so it can be a bit of a hassle.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6579 on: November 26, 2016, 09:27:40 am »
Proof positive they work !   Umm Wayne has been quite?

We don't know what communication has been happening with Wayne.

Wayne doesn't strike me as an EEVBLOG reader but...

...he knew exactly who Dave was. He new that Dave had been badmouthing Batteriser. That Dave was The Enemy.

How does that work if you're just a random person who received some Batterisers in the post?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 10:06:43 am by Fungus »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6580 on: November 26, 2016, 09:57:35 am »
Electric toothbrushes that run on AA or AAA cell(s) are the only devices I own where I think a Batteroo could bring an improvement because as the motor slows down the performance falls considerably and they become ineffective even though they continue to run for quite a long time.

Put rechargeable batteries (Eneloops) in them and this won't happen. You will be amazed at the transformation.

Offline quad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6581 on: November 26, 2016, 03:35:29 pm »
Just spotted this on a the Youtube video: Batteriser Bullshit Part 3 - Batteriser Mock-ups vs. Regular Alkalines (BUSTED!) - #0100  youtube.com/watch?v=00YYQxOn2YE

Batteroo are STILL plaguing Batteriser-related Youtube comment sections under accounts that don't officially represent Batteroo (they're not responsible for what "fans" say!!). Pathetic. This particular account is very blatant, "Davey Jonez". Of course it's a no face account, 0 subscribers, 0 videos. *sigh*

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 03:39:36 pm by quad »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6582 on: November 26, 2016, 05:14:04 pm »

I have a razor (made by Wilkinson Sword) that has proper blades for wet shaving at one end and a little hair trimmer at the other end to tidy up the edges of your beard or moustache that runs on a single AAA alkaline battery. It probably only gets used in 60-120 second bursts once every 3 days to a week but a battery easily lasts six months.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6583 on: November 26, 2016, 05:24:10 pm »
Proof positive they work !   Umm Wayne has been quite?

We don't know what communication has been happening with Wayne.

...he knew exactly who Dave was. He new that Dave had been badmouthing Batteriser. That Dave was The Enemy.

How does that work if you're just a random person who received some Batterisers in the post?

Perhaps he knows how to use Google?

Seriously, if you see a product that interests you isn't it now second nature to Google for opinions and further information? Dave's videos and the forum appear in the first page of Google search results for "batterizer".

It's a bit low handed to ascribe malicious intent just because Wayne did a bit of research. I've researched Adolf Hitler, Karl Marx and Ayn Rand in the past; does that make me a Nazi, a Communist or a Neo-liberal (posh new name for almost a Neo-Nazi)? No, it just means I did some background research.

The following users thanked this post: Revive Batteries

Offline amirm

• Regular Contributor
    • Audio Science Review
« Reply #6584 on: November 26, 2016, 05:49:06 pm »

He said he visited the factory so no doubt that was topic of conversation there.  And if he wanted to be a dealer, he may have  searched and landed on Dave's Youtube videos.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6585 on: November 26, 2016, 06:09:22 pm »

He said he visited the factory so no doubt that was topic of conversation there.  And if he wanted to be a dealer, he may have  searched and landed on Dave's Youtube videos.

And the conclusion he got from Dave's videos was that Dave is a "Complete Tosser"?

Nah, I reckon he was primed to think that by somebody.

PS: You still haven't explained why he's the only person in the world with a box of Batterisers in his hands - despite Batteroo posting everything from the USA since a month ago and having filled 30%+ of the orders.

(The greek guy is unverified and seems to have vanished)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6586 on: November 26, 2016, 06:39:38 pm »
PS: You still haven't explained why he's the only person in the world with a box of Batterisers in his hands -

Funnily enough, in the real world, that's not my job; particularly because I've never said anything on the subject.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6587 on: November 26, 2016, 07:11:12 pm »
New comment from Bob.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline amirm

• Regular Contributor
    • Audio Science Review
« Reply #6588 on: November 26, 2016, 07:28:38 pm »

And the conclusion he got from Dave's videos was that Dave is a "Complete Tosser"?
Not being Australian, I have no idea what a tosser is, let alone a complete one.  :D

Nah, I reckon he was primed to think that by somebody.
That is what I said.  He went to the factory and they did their technical talk/demos on why Dave is wrong.  To a lay person it would be very hard to adjudicate who is right.  They would simply go by secondary signs.  In this case, Wayne has a clear preference for American accent than Australian!  :D :D

PS: You still haven't explained why he's the only person in the world with a box of Batterisers in his hands - despite Batteroo posting everything from the USA since a month ago and having filled 30%+ of the orders.

(The greek guy is unverified and seems to have vanished)
When I used to live in corporate world, we always have our list of reviewers/reporters which were friendly to us and were more likely say good things about us.  As such, we would reach out to them first to write about our new products/technology.  If I were the Batteroo crew, I would certainly pick Wayne to get the first few units to make him feel special and say good things about us.  No mystery here.

As to Greek guy, I saw him shopping at our local grocery store this morning so he has not vanished.  :D :D :D

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6589 on: November 26, 2016, 07:43:36 pm »
Not being Australian, I have no idea what a tosser is, let alone a complete one.  :D
The guy is from the Northern Territories so quite a fair dinkum away from Sydney, Innsbruck or Vienna. They have their own vernacular in Darwin. It's a very common word in UK too.

I prefer terms like a "merchant" or "oil tanker" as my teenage years as a born and bred Scouser growing up with Cockney mates in London would attest to. ;)

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6590 on: November 26, 2016, 09:05:43 pm »
I prefer terms like a "merchant"

"merchant banker"? I didn't know that one.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6591 on: November 26, 2016, 10:10:48 pm »

Complete tosser == enthusiastic onanist. It means the same in canonical English too. Related to, and possibly derived from, 'toss-pot' for one who drinks overly, i.e. tosses back many pots of ale. Both mean "a worthless individual, a waste of space".

Here endeth today's lesson in etymology.

Offline Blocco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6592 on: November 26, 2016, 10:34:40 pm »
I don't think Wayne was trying to be rude. I'm pretty certain that "complete tosser!" is simply a friendly colloquialism in Darwin, it's really just a less formal version of "good on ya mate!". :-+

The trick is to apply the Australian rising inflection at the end and it sounds quite chirpy.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 10:37:58 pm by Blocco »

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #6593 on: November 26, 2016, 10:47:53 pm »
I don't think Wayne was trying to be rude. I'm pretty certain that "complete tosser!" is simply a friendly colloquialism in Darwin, it's really just a less formal version of "good on ya mate!". :-+
The trick is to apply the Australian rising inflection at the end and it sounds quite chirpy.
Ohhh.. you mean like 'drongo' ! (which is far more likely in the Australian Outback !)
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline Blocco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6594 on: November 26, 2016, 10:58:57 pm »
Ohhh.. you mean like 'drongo' ! (which is far more likely in the Australian Outback !)

Yes, I imagine that "drongo!" would be the less friendly version of "complete drongo!".

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6595 on: November 26, 2016, 11:25:14 pm »
New comment from Bob.

Exact same thing he's been saying for weeks now.
They are being shipped locally by USPS, we have photographic proof of that, people should have gotten them within days. Yet not a single person in the US has a unit?  :bullshit:
I've shipped 100+ internationals a day manually all by myself, no problems. More if just local which is easier because no CN22 form required.

Offline Blocco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6596 on: November 26, 2016, 11:51:09 pm »
Bob sure doesn't know much about his own "shipping" process. I would have thought that after all the other delays and excuses he would have made damn sure the "shipping" was handled competently.

I wonder if there is any significance to the emerging nautical theme in his responses i.e. "shipping" and "waves".....   perhaps these are a preamble to more accurate terms like "shipwreck", "run aground" or "sunk without a trace".
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 12:00:54 am by Blocco »

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #6597 on: November 27, 2016, 12:01:06 am »
New comment from Bob.

They are being shipped locally by USPS, we have photographic proof of that, people should have gotten them within days. Yet not a single person in the US has a unit?  :bullshit:
I've shipped 100+ internationals a day manually all by myself, no problems. More if just local which is easier because no CN22 form required.

Yes, if they shipped them USPS Priority, which would have cost $5-$10, they would have arrived within 3 days, absolute max. Parcel Select would have been $3-$5 and taken 3-7 days.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #6598 on: November 27, 2016, 12:05:18 am »
Maybe apart from the fact the BatterPoo doesn't actually do what's claimed - Boob may have missed the shipping costs in his budget projections - so he has containers of 'Poo in his shed, and can't afford to ship them at the advertised price.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6599 on: November 27, 2016, 12:39:06 am »
New comment from Bob.

Trivia:  USPS is actually one of the fastest shipping methods in the USA.  The Postal Service contracts with FedEx to fly the parcels, so stuff gets where it's going damned quick.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf