Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3086998 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #8525 on: March 11, 2017, 03:58:25 pm »
Response times are anywhere from the same day, to 3 days later... an automated reply isn't going to be delayed like that...

Not if it's turned on all the time.

I have visions of some lackey coming into the office, turning on the computer and only firing up the email program once or twice a week.....

No, I think he's saying that the comment 'autoresponse' on the website varies in timing so much that's it's likely that the 'autoresponse' is in fact a human not an actual programmed autoresponse.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline jpc

• Supporter
« Reply #8526 on: March 11, 2017, 05:39:05 pm »
You're very good at telling other other people what they should be doing, why don't you do it if you think it so important. As to people on this site trying to destroy Batteroo, you really like over hyping things don't you. For while I have seen the occasional poster asking if they could be reported to various consumer protection organisations for their claims, which you probably could in the UK, mostly what I see is people debunking their claims and generally having a good laugh at the responses from Bob and his cronies. Bobb and the crowd also seems to be totally unaware of the Streisand affect. Of course, if having a laugh at the antics of Bob and his cronies while debunking Batteroos' claims should lead to the company going out of business, all well and good. Unfortunately, unless some US state's attorney general gets on their case, Bob and the crowd are the type to walk away from this with a nice earner and then move on to the next scam while likely blaming Big Battery, you know, the ones supposedly paying Dave and Frank :) ) if they ever do collapse.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #8527 on: March 11, 2017, 09:43:50 pm »
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline jpc

• Supporter
« Reply #8528 on: March 12, 2017, 12:25:08 am »
LOL

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #8529 on: March 12, 2017, 03:37:32 am »
You're very good at telling other other people what they should be doing, why don't you do it if you think it so important. As to people on this site trying to destroy Batteroo, you really like over hyping things don't you. For while I have seen the occasional poster asking if they could be reported to various consumer protection organisations for their claims, which you probably could in the UK, mostly what I see is people debunking their claims and generally having a good laugh at the responses from Bob and his cronies. Bobb and the crowd also seems to be totally unaware of the Streisand affect. Of course, if having a laugh at the antics of Bob and his cronies while debunking Batteroos' claims should lead to the company going out of business, all well and good. Unfortunately, unless some US state's attorney general gets on their case, Bob and the crowd are the type to walk away from this with a nice earner and then move on to the next scam while likely blaming Big Battery, you know, the ones supposedly paying Dave and Frank :) ) if they ever do collapse.

What you have raised has been already discussed - and the sad thing is, that in the big scheme of things, most individuals aren't going to bother fighting for a $20 loss.

As for "trying to destroy Batteroo" - then you have missed the mark. The focus has always been on the product.  The fact that Batteroo have used deceptive tactics in their promotion of that product is what has resulted in the company and it's officeholders being brought into the melee.

If they had never mentioned 800% at the outset, then this thread would not have made 100 posts - if it were to have been created at all.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8530 on: March 12, 2017, 10:14:06 am »
You're very good at telling other other people what they should be doing, why don't you do it if you think it so important. [...]

Who are you talking to, and which comment(s) are you referring to, in that post?
(No slight intended; it's just unclear to me.)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8531 on: March 12, 2017, 02:34:34 pm »
You're very good at telling other other people what they should be doing, why don't you do it if you think it so important. [...]

Who are you talking to, and which comment(s) are you referring to, in that post?
(No slight intended; it's just unclear to me.)

Precisely because of its initial apparent ambiguity, that message is actually quite a good test of the English comprehension abilities of the reader. Yes, it's poorly phrased but it is eventually parsable. (As a non-native speaker, you get an automatic pass simply for being able to read it at all.) It's addressed to Batteroo and I think it's addressed at one of the quoted Batteroo replies.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8532 on: March 12, 2017, 02:50:45 pm »
Precisely because of its initial apparent ambiguity, that message is actually quite a good test of the English comprehension abilities of the reader. Yes, it's poorly phrased but it is eventually parsable. (As a non-native speaker, you get an automatic pass simply for being able to read it at all.) It's addressed to Batteroo and I think it's addressed at one of the quoted Batteroo replies.

That's what I had thought after having read the first sentences. But then it stopped making sense, when jpc started referring to "Bob and the crowd" in the third person. Anyway, you are probably right.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 07:03:25 pm by ebastler »

Offline Blocco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8533 on: March 13, 2017, 06:37:40 pm »
There's a new Batteroo video in town, or rather a compilation of previous dishonest claims but this time raised to an even higher level of dishonesty by implying that the cherry-picked results are typical for all devices of that type.

https://youtu.be/IbTPxGo3HOo

Currently at just 14 views and no doubt 10,000+ before the end of the week. ;)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 07:30:34 pm by Blocco »

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #8534 on: March 13, 2017, 07:40:55 pm »
As the video says, it is still on the CNN website:

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/technology/2015/11/24/coolest-gadgets-2015/9.html

It is sad that we live now in the post-factual era and even some big news corporations don't do basic fact checking anymore.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline dr_frost_dk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8535 on: March 13, 2017, 09:46:48 pm »
lets see how many days goes by before it reaches 10,000+ views and no comments, they will save a bit of money this time as they disabled rating

EDIT: they just re-uploaded the video

EDIT: For the record, the video got under 60 views in the first 24 hours
EDIT: over 48 hours and at 71 views
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:07:50 am by dr_frost_dk »

Offline amirm

• Regular Contributor
    • Audio Science Review
« Reply #8536 on: March 13, 2017, 11:42:01 pm »
As the video says, it is still on the CNN website:

http://money.cnn.com/gallery/technology/2015/11/24/coolest-gadgets-2015/9.html

It is sad that we live now in the post-factual era and even some big news corporations don't do basic fact checking anymore.
Can't see it anymore.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8537 on: March 14, 2017, 01:14:27 am »
About a month ago my LCD clock's display became noticeably faint, and a day later it was completely blank!

This clock is still going strong with full LCD contrast after another month on that one temporary charge!

Clock very similar to:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acctim-Radio-Controlled-Wall-Clock/dp/B000Q9SGV0

The 'Expensive' AA batts:
http://www.wilko.com/batteries+chargers/wilko-extra-life-alkaline-batteries-aa-15v-4pk/invt/0143639

When I find where the other 3 AAs ended up in I'll be giving them a gentle top up as well!

Who needs flattenyourbatteryisers.  :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 04:06:47 am by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline Hensingler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8538 on: March 14, 2017, 02:32:43 am »
lets see how many days goes by before it reaches 10,000+ views and no comments, they will save a bit of money this time as they disabled rating

And here is the stock image before they photoshopped the GPS into his hand. As fake as everything else from Batteroo. 

As someone said a few posts ago criticising Batteroo is like shooting fish in a barrel, except the fish refuse to die.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8539 on: March 14, 2017, 02:47:28 am »
As someone said a few posts ago criticising Batteroo is like shooting fish in a barrel, except the fish refuse to die.

At that point I fear that some of my North American cousins would switch to dynamiting fish in a barrel; probably preceded by the famous last words of many a redneck: "Hey Y'all, watch this!".

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8540 on: March 14, 2017, 02:59:43 am »

The exact same model Golf GPS model should be waiting in my PO Box for me...

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #8541 on: March 14, 2017, 03:25:44 am »
any way to get Garmin to comment on it ?   Like asking "does your golf GPS really only last 1h43m like this video implies" ?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #8542 on: March 14, 2017, 03:27:47 am »
I just wanted to see the full image...

With the following acknowledgement of where it is published: http://www.villasalinesmauritius.com/activities/
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:29:19 am by Brumby »

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8543 on: March 14, 2017, 03:32:05 am »
any way to get Garmin to comment on it ?   Like asking "does your golf GPS really only last 1h43m like this video implies" ?

Ask them!
In any event I will definitely do this test. It might go on my 2nd channel because so many have said they are sick of Batteriser videos?
But I do think it's important because this is their huge big ticket marketing example, and also the example they sent to UL for testing.
TechnologyCatalyst has already shown it's a fraud, and if I can do the same then it's case closed, they should retract their UL test report and their marketing video.

Offline Hensingler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8544 on: March 14, 2017, 04:05:24 am »

With the following acknowledgement of where it is published: http://www.villasalinesmauritius.com/activities/

More likely it comes from here http://www.fotosearch.de/CSP991/k9986065/ where it should have been paid for.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8545 on: March 14, 2017, 04:16:30 am »
Ask Gamin when they're going to fix their battery management problem, so that people don't have to buy a third party add on, and the vid will disappear.  :)
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #8546 on: March 14, 2017, 04:40:50 am »

More likely it comes from here http://www.fotosearch.de/CSP991/k9986065/ where it should have been paid for.

It may well have originally come from there - but seeing as the rather obvious watermark is missing, it would seem the site I cited might have paid for it.

I wonder if Batteroo did?

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8547 on: March 14, 2017, 06:39:01 am »

Quote from: boffin on Today at 02:25:44 PM>

I already did this, ages ago. It's even in this thread, several hundred pages back...
Anyway, This was my email:

"The company startup "Batteroo" with the pending product "Batteriser" have published a video in which they claim to test a Garmin Approach G3 using new Alkaline batteries, and they state that it only lasts 1 hour and 52 minutes before it dies. This claim has been widely spread on youtube, their own website, and other parts of the internet.

Can Garmin confirm or refute whether the Approach G3 will only last for under 2 hours on new Alkaline Duracell batteries, and then the batteries would need to be changed?

Thank you for your assistance.

Best Regards,

PS Here are the relevant links:

http://batteriser.com/

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/batteriser-extend-battery-life-by-up-to-8x#/story

And a picture which shows, they claim, a UL test confirming their test findings that the Approach G3 runs for less than 2 hours on new Alkalines (1 hr 43 mins this time!):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COGdNPQUcAA8XuS.jpg

I appreciate your comment on this, ideally including technical facts, design elements, and testing which show the true expected battery life of the Approach G3 GPS. Thank you!"

And this was their irrelevant non-response canned response:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I would be happy to assist you today. NiMH or Lithium batteries are recommended for the Approach G3, and the expected battery life is up to 15 hours using either of these batteries.

When determining which batteries will suit your application best it is important to note, if Lithium batteries are chosen, that two distinct types exist.

Lithium Batteries
Lithium Ion Batteries
The difference in these two types of batteries resides in the voltage each produces. Please check to ensure that the voltage listed on the battery does not exceed the voltage requirement of your GPS listed in the manual.

The difference in voltage between the two batteries is as follows:

Lithium batteries have a voltage of 1.75V and are not rechargeable
Lithium Ion batteries have a voltage of 4.2V and are rechargeable
Often Lithium batteries are the preferred choice for those choosing to use such a battery. In many cases, a Lithium battery will need to be used after its voltage has dropped below the recommended voltage listed in the device manual. It is not recommended that Lithium Ion batteries be used. In many cases these batteries exceed the limits of Garmin GPS devices and can cause irreversible damage.
With Best Regards,

Lindsey

Customer Care - Golf Team

Garmin International

913-397-8200

800-800-1020

913-440-8280 (fax) Att: Lindsey 8996256

www.garmin.com

Additional solutions may be found at http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/support/searchsupport"

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #8548 on: March 14, 2017, 08:33:58 am »
Cut and paste response.

No attempt to even acknowledge the question, let alone answer it.  Useless.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8549 on: March 14, 2017, 08:42:31 am »
In any event I will definitely do this test. It might go on my 2nd channel because so many have said they are sick of Batteriser videos?

They could always just not watch this. In my opinion, its place is on the main channel. This bullshit has to be finally dealt with properly, in the open. Putting it on the second channel could be seen as a lack of confidence, you being afraid of something, IMO.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf