Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3090809 times)

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #6800 on: November 30, 2016, 02:56:57 pm »
Would you design a new chip, set up production, manufacture a whole new batch, then ... only ship to three people?

I would organize a nice press conference, invite several related magazines and bloggers, show my shiny new product and give all participants a sample package for free.

Exactly... you'd be telling the entire world that Batteriser has finally arrived, where to get them, etc. You'd be calling up magazines, you'd be handing out press samples as fast as you could pull them out of the crates.

What you wouldn't be doing is trying to string along a bunch of people on IndieGoGo or pretending you've been shipping thousands of units for over a month and can't understand why nobody received them yet.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 03:04:36 pm by Fungus »

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #6801 on: November 30, 2016, 03:08:41 pm »
Would you design a new chip, set up production, manufacture a whole new batch, then ... only ship to three people?

I would organize a nice press conference, invite several related magazines and bloggers, show my shiny new product and give all participants a sample package for free.

Exactly... you'd be telling the entire world that Batteriser has finally arrived, where to get them, etc. You'd be calling up magazines, you'd be handing out press samples as fast as you could pull them out of the crates.

What you wouldn't be doing is trying to string along a bunch of people on IndieGoGo or pretending you've been shipping thousands of units for over a month and can't understand why nobody received them yet.

Batteroo is doing exactly this. They are using the same shipping company to mail the invitations to the press conference.

The following users thanked this post: vinicius.jlantunes, Delta

Offline Marcel_X

• Contributor
« Reply #6802 on: November 30, 2016, 03:42:32 pm »
More information from Wayne:

BATTERISER / BATTEROO (new name) - what’s all the fuss about?
This article is a summary of my thoughts and opinions of the new Batteroo electronic device that is currently being launched by a US Company.
I have been following this product since its inception because of my interest in batteries.
Should the product meet my expectations, I am actually thinking of becoming a reseller or distributor in Australia. I am based in Darwin in the Northern Territory.
The Company and product are both called Batteroo.
The Batteroo is a micro-thin reusable sleeve that slots neatly over most normal disposable batteries such as common AA’s and AAA’s.
It contains patented technology which is designed to enhance the performance and / or increase the overall lifespan of batteries.
So the big question is – DOES IT WORK?
That is a big point of contention at this moment in time!
There are many theories out there and a number of people who adamantly believe that the product is a scam and will never be delivered and if it is delivered, then it won’t work.
The problem is who to believe? Most of the people I’ve come across have a vested interest of some sort so it’s hard to get to the bottom of it.
Of course, I have a vested interest as well if I want to be a seller of the product but I have no firm commitments or agreements at this stage. Some people have been insinuating that I’m somehow involved directly with Batteroo or I’m being manipulated by them in some way. It’s amazing how a small $2.50 product can result in so much dirty politics!
There’s even one blog that has a complete thread which has been running for a couple of years that’s dedicated to the subject of proving that it will never be delivered or actually work. When I followed the blog for a couple weeks, there were about 50 contributors but only a regular handful who are obsessed enough to make it a mission to see the product fail. However, they are really quite insignificant in the big scheme of things.
I think all the controversy comes down to these people continuing to focus on the same 3 main points:
1. In the early days the product was claimed to increase battery life by up to 8 times (800%). This claim was made due to the performance it showed on a couple of obscure products. The Company has since realised that it was a brash statement to make and have taken a more moderate approach.
2. They launched a crowd funding campaign on Indiegogo with a delivery date of November 2015. There was delay after delay to the point that they are only just delivering those orders now. Being a year late has not made people happy and hence the claims of it being a scam. (I got in reasonably early and mine only just arrived recently).
3. Because they did not publically disclose the inner workings of their invention, it has continued to be shrouded in mystery which has upset all the electronics buffs out there.
Being scientists and engineers, I don’t believe the founders of the Business understood or realised the importance of communicating to their customers and keeping them up to date with the progress of the product. There should have also been more clarity and information on what the product can achieve in the real world. Most people are not really interested in detailed technical specifications. Maybe they should have had a dedicated PR person to manage it all but I guess it costs a lot of money to get something like this going from scratch?
Anyway, people are starting to receive their orders now so it will be interesting to see where it goes from here.
Please see my other post on my opinions and expectations of the actual Batteroo product itself.
If it weren't for C, we'd be using BASI, PASAL, and OBOL

Offline PeterL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6803 on: November 30, 2016, 03:43:56 pm »

It's confirmed. Wayne is firmly in the Batteroo camp.

Nothing on his Facebook about this device that he and his assistant tested with and without batteroo's...

The following users thanked this post: ludzinc

Offline Marcel_X

• Contributor
« Reply #6804 on: November 30, 2016, 03:45:56 pm »

Nothing on his Facebook about this device that he and his assistant tested with and without batteroo's...

Well, at least there's a technical explanation on how it works. Buckets, water...  :-//

BATTEROO – is it likely to work?
I haven’t had much time to test my ones properly yet but one thing is for sure – it does increase the voltage in used batteries by up to 35% based on the ones I have tested so far. Even the biggest sceptics have to agree on this point.
I have also been very sceptical – it seems to go against the normal principles of how batteries work – there is only so much energy in an individual battery – when it’s gone, it’s gone!
So that got me thinking, how could it actually work to benefit normal people who use batteries in their everyday lives? I reckon there are a couple of ways that it could make a meaningful difference.
The issue is trying to explain it correctly in a non-technical way. I’m going to try and do that now in a similar way that I explain car batteries to my customers.
A battery is like a bucket of water.
Say you had an empty bucket and you insert 2 taps in it – one about a 1/4 of the way down the side and one near the bottom and then fill it up with water. When you turn the top tap on the bucket will start emptying until it stops at that level. If you want to use up all the remaining water you will need to open the bottom tap.
The other point to realise is that the more you open the taps up, the faster the water will flow and the quicker the bucket will empty. The pressure increases.
This is a very basic explanation but it will help to understand my theory of how the Batteroo could benefit the average person using batteries.
So using the bucket scenario above, how could this apply to the Batteroo?
Example1:
Some manufacturers put a voltage cut off in their products. When the battery gets down to a certain voltage the product just switches off. This is generally to protect the internal electronics keep it working as designed. Things like digital cameras or remote controls – they either work or they don’t.
In this case, just like the top tap of the bucket, there is still more power left in the battery but the product can’t use it. Using the Batteroo would be like opening the bottom tap to start using the left over water but in this case it’s the power in the battery.
In reality, the theory is that the Batteroo boosts the battery voltage to be above the cut off level so the product can use whatever power is left without switching off.
So you could use it on the existing old batteries when the item suddenly switches off and boost it back to life. You could also put it on at the start when installing new batteries and it will keep going for longer until the item actually uses up all the available power.
For these types of products you should also be able to use any old batteries you have lying around and provided they are not too far discharged the Batteroo will boost them back above the cut off voltage and get them working again.
How much extra life would you get in these situations? It would really depend on the individual products themselves but given the Batteroo is reusable, over time they should pay for themselves many times over.
Example2:
There are other products that will just use all the available power regardless of what the voltage is – they just go straight to the bottom tap and start draining. How long they last depends on how far open the tap is. For example, a remote controlled car. If you drive it around slowly it will last a lot longer than if you go flat out all the time.
These products are a bit different, so I’ll try to explain using 2 different scenarios.
You’ve got a normal flashlight (not the LED type). You put a new battery in it and turn it on for a long time. Soon after switching it on it will start to dull but you won’t notice it at first. Then you start to notice it getting duller but it’s still bright enough for you. At some point you decide it’s not bright enough anymore so you change the battery to a new one. You know it could have lasted quite a bit longer but you like it brighter. In this case you could put Batteroo on the old battery and get some more brightness for a bit longer. The other way to do it would be to put the Batteroo on at the start and the torch would be much brighter for a longer period of time but the battery won’t last as long as the dull torch without the Batteroo.
So with a flashlight, it’s not really important to make the battery last longer but rather trying to keep it as bright as possible for as long as possible.
Say you’re going camping and you have a nice big air mattress you need to blow up. All you have is a small battery operated pump to do the job. You switch it on and it goes for an hour to get the mattress up to the firmness you like. By this time the pump is starting to get a bit slow and tired and you’ve had enough of hanging around waiting for it to finish.
Your friend has the same mattress and pump but they decide to put some Batteroos on the batteries first. Their pump goes a lot faster and smoother and pumps the mattress up in half the time of yours. In reality, both pumps probably used the same amount of power to do the job but yours lasted longer. You don’t care because your friend is relaxing and having a beer half an hour before you are.
Once again, what’s more important, how much life you can drag out of the battery or how efficiently it runs for the time you need it to work?
I have a big old wall clock that runs fine for a while on a new battery but then starts losing time. I know the battery is still good but the mechanism just needs that bit extra to keep going at the right speed. They really should have designed it to use 2 batteries instead. So I keep throwing out batteries and replacing them. I know it can probably run for much longer but what’s the point if the time is always wrong?
I’m going to put a Batteroo on it next time and see what happens.
So that’s my theories of how the Batteroos could work successfully. I don’t think I’ll be too far off the mark.
Now I just have to start using them and see how it all goes.
Actually, I have another theory but it would need to be thoroughly tested before it could be substantiated.
In some products the batteries become very deeply discharged. Sometimes it’s your fault for forgetting to take them out or other times they still work at a very low voltage. The end result is the batteries leak inside the battery compartment. I don’t know how many times I‘ve gone to change batteries only to find they’ve leaked and there’s acid everywhere. Quite often by the time you find it, the corrosion has set in and you’re up for a new one.
Based on how the Batteroos are designed to work, I reckon there’s a good chance it may go a long way to solving this issue?
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
If it weren't for C, we'd be using BASI, PASAL, and OBOL

Offline quad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6805 on: November 30, 2016, 03:50:01 pm »
I was bored today around noon while waiting for my other team members to finish their parts for the management bling-bling... errr I mean Powerpoint presentations... so I did do some digging on some of the backers stats... forgot to bring it back home though! I think I was up to 1000 from the top, around 6300+ to go!

One of the person who posted they got tracking number appeared on the 1000 from the top, might be a real deal

I think you'll find it's this person. I think he's a real deal.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6806 on: November 30, 2016, 04:32:38 pm »
Quote from: Wayne
A battery is like a bucket of water.
Say you had an empty bucket and you insert 2 taps in it – one about a 1/4 of the way down the side and one near the bottom and then fill it up with water. When you turn the top tap on the bucket will start emptying until it stops at that level. If you want to use up all the remaining water you will need to open the bottom tap.

"1/4 of the way down"? LOL!

More like "as close as they can physically get it to the bottom tap".

Say you’re going camping and you have a nice big air mattress you need to blow up. All you have is a small battery operated pump to do the job. You switch it on and it goes for an hour to get the mattress up to the firmness you like. By this time the pump is starting to get a bit slow and tired and you’ve had enough of hanging around waiting for it to finish.
Your friend has the same mattress and pump but they decide to put some Batteroos on the batteries first. Their pump goes a lot faster and smoother and pumps the mattress up in half the time of yours. In reality, both pumps probably used the same amount of power to do the job but yours lasted longer. You don’t care because your friend is relaxing and having a beer half an hour before you are.

...except you already proved Batteriser can't even supply enough current to light up your flashlight/torch properly. Your friend's mattress will take four times as long to inflate.

(exactly matching the results of your flashlight test...where the Batterised flashlight is clearly not fully lit therefore lasted much longer)

Once again, what’s more important, how much life you can drag out of the battery or how efficiently it runs for the time you need it to work?
I have a big old wall clock that runs fine for a while on a new battery but then starts losing time. I know the battery is still good but the mechanism just needs that bit extra to keep going at the right speed. They really should have designed it to use 2 batteries instead. So I keep throwing out batteries and replacing them. I know it can probably run for much longer but what’s the point if the time is always wrong?
I’m going to put a Batteroo on it next time and see what happens.

In other words: Your next 'test' is going to take weeks/months to run - long enough for Batteroo to achieve whatever it is they're trying to get with all this "shipping" nonsense.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #6807 on: November 30, 2016, 05:07:40 pm »

Well, at least there's a technical explanation on how it works. Buckets, water...  :-//

(snipped)

I don't know, this doesn't sound like something Wayne would write. Maybe Bob wrote it for him?
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline PeterL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6808 on: November 30, 2016, 06:29:09 pm »

I don't know, this doesn't sound like something Wayne would write. Maybe Bob wrote it for him?
When I read Wayne's last message here (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-751-how-to-debunk-a-product-(the-batteriser)/msg1080593/#msg1080593), where he talks about testing it in a sex-toy, and discussing that with his female employee, It sounded like Ali to me (anyone remember his nasty comments, even on IGG?)

But I have little doubt that all revivebatteries accounts, on facebook, on IGG an here really do belong to Wayne. But it's clear he works together with Batteroo now (just as others stated)

Offline Blocco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6809 on: November 30, 2016, 06:43:33 pm »

(snipped)

I thought the same. I was reluctant to believe that Wayne was a shill and gave him the benefit of the doubt at first, but,...... if it walks like a duck........

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6810 on: November 30, 2016, 07:15:09 pm »

It's all fancy English, not a single Aussie curse word or mention of 'beer' in the entire thing.

He also says "flashlight" instead of "torch", etc.

The :bullshit: just went off the scale.

I think the Facebook page says it best:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 07:41:55 pm by Fungus »

Offline AmmoJammo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6811 on: November 30, 2016, 07:31:11 pm »
100% not his words, his write-up, or his evaluation...

All his other references were to it being a "torch" cos that's what it is.... One does not simply start calling it aluminum, when its aluminium!

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6812 on: November 30, 2016, 07:44:29 pm »
Plus... how the hell does he know so much about Batteriser design?   :popcorn:

Edit: didn't his own test show that Batteriser doesn't shut down at low voltage?  :-//

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:01:59 pm by Fungus »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6813 on: November 30, 2016, 09:41:40 pm »
- Is he actually competent enough to test the Buttriser and give an well informed opinion about it? (we all know the answer to that, but he wants his readers to believe he is)

I think he actually tried to do the first test by himself but chickened out and called Bob for advice. Bob then sent him that text to post.

I still haven't decided if the two flashlights/torches were included in the parcel or not.  :popcorn: (I guess we'll never know the answer to that one though)

The obvious clue (in hindsight) was the massive hostility towards Dave. Where would that come from? You only need to watch a single EEVBLOG video to know what Dave is like.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 09:43:30 pm by Fungus »

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #6814 on: November 30, 2016, 09:59:51 pm »
100% not his words, his write-up, or his evaluation...

All his other references were to it being a "torch" cos that's what it is.... One does not simply start calling it aluminum, when its aluminium!

Right, I didn't noticed this, good spot. For me it just sounded different, and when I read about buckets of water, strange images of poor snails in a well came to my mind ::) BTW, interesting that there are so many different words for flashlight. In German it is "Taschenlampe", literally translated pocket-lamp.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6815 on: November 30, 2016, 10:43:02 pm »
Can I just say, this saga is like the gift that just keeps on giving ...entertainment.  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: WN1X

Offline rich

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6816 on: November 30, 2016, 10:56:32 pm »
Taps draining juice into flashlights?? I've heard that somewhere else recently...

Did bob use wayne's analogy in the latest cheap-o-mercials or the other way around?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 03:01:32 am by rich »

The following users thanked this post: quad

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #6817 on: November 30, 2016, 11:11:38 pm »
Did bob use wayne's analogy in the latest cheap-o-mercials or the other way around?

Very suspect...
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6818 on: November 30, 2016, 11:16:38 pm »

...except you already proved Batteriser can't even supply enough current to light up your flashlight/torch properly. Your friend's mattress will take four times as long to inflate.

(exactly matching the results of your flashlight test...where the Batterised flashlight is clearly not fully lit therefore lasted much longer)

I'd love to know what air mattress pump runs on AA batteries. Every single one I've seen runs on either 240v mains or 12v from your car/caravan power outlet.

I think we're getting closer to the truth and probably the reason why Wayne seem so angry and resistant to supplying anyone with a Batteriser (or suggestions from this forum). There is something he isn't telling us, rather it seems he is trying to distance himself as much from Bob Rhubarb but his actions and words suggest otherwise. Perhaps he made a bad decision/investment and that's why he's such an angry man?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 11:19:54 pm by Halcyon »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #6819 on: November 30, 2016, 11:18:38 pm »
I'm not saying things one way or the other, but to condemn Wayne's post on the basis of the use of a particular word is a little far for my liking:

You’ve got a normal flashlight (not the LED type). You put a new battery in it and turn it on for a long time. Soon after switching it on it will start to dull but you won’t notice it at first. Then you start to notice it getting duller but it’s still bright enough for you. At some point you decide it’s not bright enough anymore so you change the battery to a new one. You know it could have lasted quite a bit longer but you like it brighter. In this case you could put Batteroo on the old battery and get some more brightness for a bit longer. The other way to do it would be to put the Batteroo on at the start and the torch would be much brighter for a longer period of time but the battery won’t last as long as the dull torch without the Batteroo.
So with a flashlight, it’s not really important to make the battery last longer but rather trying to keep it as bright as possible for as long as possible.

He uses both 'flashlight' and 'torch'.

Interestingly, he only uses the word 'flashlight' at the start of a paragraph.  That's the sort of thing I might expect if someone was making a deliberate effort to write something that was immediately understandable for a global audience.  Even in Australia, we immediately know what is meant - even though we don't really use it in our own day-to-day life.  What I see that's interesting is that when he's just following with his thoughts in the body of the paragraph, he uses the word 'torch'.

I can't quite see Bob & Co. doing that.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #6820 on: November 30, 2016, 11:19:44 pm »
Wow... So, Wayne turned out to have an agenda? I'm shocked. Shocked.

Edit: Though I don't think Bob wrote that essay. That's taking the conspiracy a bit far IMHO.

I think Wayne wrote it, but I feel his mind was already made up well before he ever started to "test" the units. He was never really objective.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 11:23:40 pm by timb »
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #6821 on: November 30, 2016, 11:35:57 pm »
I just got a call (10am Aussie time) from Australia.  It is the first time I have ever gotten a call from another country.  My phone ID said the call was coming from Australia.  I thought maybe it was Wayne wanting to chew me out for posting a picture of his house.

I answered on the second ring but the line went dead.   I have no way of calling Australia (I am on the lowest phone plan).  And a search on it does not show anything.   I do not know how the numbers work but it does not seem to be coming from Darwin.

Is it possible overseas telephone scams are now coming from Australia?

Number is:

61 9 7xxx xxxx

I am bummed, I would have enjoyed even a sales pitch from Australia, especially if from Wayne.

Could this be related to this forum?

thanks

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 02:44:53 am by EEVblog »
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6822 on: November 30, 2016, 11:37:37 pm »
I think Wayne wrote it, but I feel his mind was already made up well before he ever started to "test" the units. He was never really objective.

Possibly. I think someone (Bob?) might have been in his ear about the Batteriser/Batteroo/Batterpoo and explained that it works better in "certain applications" and conducting tests on other devices will actually yield worse results than if he'd just used regular batteries without the sleeve (but shhh... don't tell anyone... act surprised).

So, why is Wayne conducting tests on old incandescent torches? Why is he focused on the performance of the torch as opposed to the claims made on the Batteriser packaging? I think it's because he has been told (or has worked out himself) that the "brighter" torch with the Batteriser looks more impressive on face-value. I guess most consumers who would buy that crap wouldn't think twice about questioning his "results" or caring to understand the theory behind the technology.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #6823 on: November 30, 2016, 11:45:23 pm »
Wow... So, Wayne turned out to have an agenda? I'm shocked. Shocked.
Not sure if I'd call it an agenda, but he does have a vested interest - something which he has declared.

Edit: Though I don't think Bob wrote that essay. That's taking the conspiracy a bit far IMHO.
I agree

I am more inclined to say he has approached the testing with an open mind.  He has said he would not sell it if it wasn't any good.  However, what he HAS done is look for some positive indications - something which is EXTREMELY LACKING from this thread.

People here are focussing on what it CAN'T do - and giving no consideration to what it can.  Please tell me what is wrong with this:

No, it's not the original intent - but it is a marketable function

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #6824 on: November 30, 2016, 11:45:33 pm »
61 9 7595 4793

09 (or 9) is not a valid area code for Australian numbers and doesn't exist on our numbering plan. It could be a VOIP service masquerading a false caller ID.

For those who would like a riveting read, refer to Schedule 1 of the Telecommunications Numbering Plan 2015

thanks - I guess they can now they can spoof countries.  Bummed it was not Wayne

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf