Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3091375 times)

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #5350 on: April 30, 2016, 11:49:50 pm »
I was in Costco the other day and expressed some bemusement at the full sized Canadian Canoe on sale. I mean, ok, I am next to the river Mersey, but... :-//

Kwik e Mart has dropped them, maybe Costco will have them?... Those Kirkland Alkalines that are always on sale could do with a boost!

Offline g.lewarne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5351 on: May 01, 2016, 12:29:24 am »
So, what's their plan?  Make as many as possible in the first run, get them out on store shelves before all the crap reviews pour in and run with the money?

It's almost certain that's what they were hoping for, hence the K-Mart President on the board who has now shot through and it seems they have no consumer retail deal that would have made it all commercially viable. They are up the proverbial brown creek without a paddle.

Bros Roohparvar forgot to bring a canoe as well.

with a bit of sealant a 800% larger batteriser would make a viable (if small) canoe

The following users thanked this post: Delta

Offline Kaptein QK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5352 on: May 02, 2016, 07:53:14 am »
So, what's their plan?  Make as many as possible in the first run, get them out on store shelves before all the crap reviews pour in and run with the money?

It's almost certain that's what they were hoping for, hence the K-Mart President on the board who has now shot through and it seems they have no consumer retail deal that would have made it all commercially viable. They are up the proverbial brown creek without a paddle.

Bros Roohparvar forgot to bring a canoe as well.

Maybe they can use that infamous dumpster? :)

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5353 on: May 03, 2016, 04:49:45 am »
Long ago, it was September.  Smart men said our world would be rocked no later than November. 

It is now May.  Will Bros. Roohparvar ever come out to play?

Offline 6581

• Supporter
« Reply #5354 on: May 03, 2016, 05:02:55 am »
Long ago, it was September.  Smart men said our world would be rocked no later than November. 

It is now May.  Will Bros. Roohparvar ever come out to play?

It'll take just 800% longer and then the wait is over. The finished, shipped, certified and thoroughly tested device will be amazing. Magical.

Offline PeterL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5355 on: May 03, 2016, 09:00:13 am »

Brilliant explanation for the delay: the word 'soon' was broken. But they fixed it!

However it looks like the word 'very' is acting up now. Bummer.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 09:01:44 am by PeterL »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5356 on: May 03, 2016, 01:23:08 pm »

What ... can ... I ... say......?     :palm:

Offline Sonny_Jim

• Supporter

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #5358 on: May 03, 2016, 02:05:22 pm »
I feel like the person who wrote that doesn't fully speak English or something.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:07:25 pm by ChunkyPastaSauce »

Offline Sonny_Jim

• Supporter
« Reply #5359 on: May 03, 2016, 02:08:55 pm »
The big giveaway is usually the use of commas where a spoken voice would use a pause.  So, it sometimes looks like this, and they'll put a comma before an and.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5360 on: May 03, 2016, 02:19:16 pm »
The big giveaway is usually the use of commas where a spoken voice would use a pause.  So, it sometimes looks like this, and they'll put a comma before an and.

Nowt wrong with an Oxford comma.  I'm a big fan of it, me.

Offline klunkerbus

• Supporter
  • Electrical Engineer (retired early)
« Reply #5361 on: May 03, 2016, 02:49:18 pm »
"... the current 'soon' is much, much closer than the 'soon' of the past."

Man, that's classic.  I wish I would have had those words handy when I was explaining schedule delays as a program manager at an aerospace company.  I think I would have put them on the title page of my presentation.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5362 on: May 03, 2016, 02:52:13 pm »

There's that weird arse talk just like the Youtube "Fan Page" channel. They talk about "we on the Facebook page" as if they are not formally associated with Batteroo, and then in the next breath say "We don't want that to happen again" as if they are Batteroo. Then it's the "Batteriser Team" again, then talking like they have daily updates from the "Batteriser Team". Then they talk definitely about "we" extending guarantees like they speak officially on behalf of Batteroo.
The Facebook page is a farce, nothing on there matters.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:55:57 pm by EEVblog »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5363 on: May 03, 2016, 03:01:49 pm »
The ever diligent Hannah Francis is back calling out Batteriser and others!  :-+

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/the-perks-and-pitfalls-of-crowdfunding-20160429-goicl5
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:46:31 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: lpickup

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5364 on: May 03, 2016, 03:35:59 pm »
The ever diligent Hannah Francis is back calling out Batteriser and others  :palm:

Ah yes, a lazy jounro who was only out to screw you over, if I remember correctly!  >:D  Glad we talked you into doing the piece with her though mate.  :-+

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5365 on: May 03, 2016, 06:43:48 pm »
There's that weird arse talk just like the Youtube "Fan Page" channel. They talk about "we on the Facebook page" as if they are not formally associated with Batteroo, and then in the next breath say "We don't want that to happen again" as if they are Batteroo. Then it's the "Batteriser Team" again, then talking like they have daily updates from the "Batteriser Team". Then they talk definitely about "we" extending guarantees like they speak officially on behalf of Batteroo.

Batteroo's marketing department only seems to operate when three sheets to the wind.

Offline PeterL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5366 on: May 03, 2016, 07:12:49 pm »

If there is no association between Batteroo and this facebook page, then this is completely out of line:

I did not find anything about a drop shipping program on their website, yet it is on facebook.
That just makes no sense to me if facebook/batteriser != Batteroo.

Offline rich

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5367 on: May 04, 2016, 12:20:07 am »
Batteroo out-source the Facebook presence to a PR company so there are likely multiple authors and hence styles. It's probably also challenging to convincingly write in first person plural when the content is so vapid, truths must be withheld, and contradictions of earlier over-zealous statements avoided.

This same PR firm (JPR Communications) most likely run twitter, instagram, and all other official channels. Not sure if they were officially associated with the early 'fan' channels too or whether those fans were loose cannons from a different set of batteroo affiliates.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 12:23:11 am by rich »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5368 on: May 04, 2016, 02:41:42 am »
This same PR firm (JPR Communications) most likely run twitter, instagram, and all other official channels. Not sure if they were officially associated with the early 'fan' channels too or whether those fans were loose cannons from a different set of batteroo affiliates.

The Youtube "fan page" kid (who posted under multiple names) claimed to be a friend of Bob's son or some such from the same uni. But again often talking as if he worked for them and could speak for them. He also asked for (using the batteriser gmail account) official requests from media to organise the media kits which of course they never sent to anyone.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:43:43 am by EEVblog »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5369 on: May 04, 2016, 02:45:50 am »
The ever diligent Hannah Francis is back calling out Batteriser and others  :palm:
Ah yes, a lazy jounro who was only out to screw you over, if I remember correctly!  >:D  Glad we talked you into doing the piece with her though mate.  :-+

I didn't do the piece, I refused to be involved given the horrible track record of nearly all media who have covered this (and having been burned by media in the past). Turned out she did a stand-up job of it.

Offline AmmoJammo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5370 on: May 04, 2016, 07:04:53 am »
April 26th, they didn't have an IC yet...
May 4th, a week later, and they're shipping soon!

They haven't built anything  :scared:

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5371 on: May 04, 2016, 07:07:00 am »
May the 4th be with you.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5372 on: May 04, 2016, 10:31:30 am »
Batteroo out-source the Facebook presence to a PR company

Really? To me it seems more like the 15-year old nephew of one of their friends.

Offline WattSekunde

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5373 on: May 04, 2016, 10:55:30 am »
Just for fun. I googled a chip and try it with the first one that popped out.  :-/O Maybe it's not the ideal chip with 1.8V V_out_min. I'm not so much into this market. But it couldn't so much different, I think.
=> TPS61220 http://www.ti.com/product/TPS61220#features

Has anyone a better 6-pin boost converter for this kind application? They seem all to be optimized for 0.7V .. 1.5V (Alkaline Cell) input and around 3.3V output.
=> Found one: LTC3526 http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/3526lfc.pdf

>:D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:39:34 pm by WattSekunde »

Offline rich

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5374 on: May 04, 2016, 12:23:06 pm »
Batteroo out-source the Facebook presence to a PR company

Really? To me it seems more like the 15-year old nephew of one of their friends.

Yes really. Maybe the PR co determined that the best image Batteroo brand can hope for is a 15 yo nephew and a team of talented, professional, writers have been crafting that persona all along, or they hired a 15 yo. None of these things need be mutually exclusive.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf