Author Topic: At last, Siglent's SDS5054X touchscreen DSO...  (Read 104488 times)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: At last, Siglent's SDS5054X touchscreen DSO...
« Reply #425 on: June 10, 2020, 08:19:44 pm »
Same experience here (with what is also thought to be a recent version).
With a not so super fast rise time signal I've got 0.6ns, with a better rise time signal it would be probably very close to what you wrote.
With the help of FFT I've also measured amplitude transfer function that matches the above.
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but did you use a frequency generator for the 2nd measurement? If so, I understand the -3dB point is at 846MHz? Or does the absolute value count and it's more in the 700-800MHz range?
BTW: what factor do you guys assume for the rise time/bandwidth estimation? The classic value for analog scopes was 0.35, for modern digital scopes it's said to be 0.45 and people here seem to use a value around 0.40 (i.e. 400ps rise time for the 1GHz model). A factor of 0.4 would indeed indicate a bandwidth around 740MHz with the 540ps measured.
It is better to assume risetime is useless to measure bandwidth with 100% certainty. The only way to be sure is to use an RF generator.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline supperman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #426 on: June 12, 2020, 05:06:31 pm »
It looks like Siglent did not upgrade the front end of the SDS5034X. I have one of the latest units (calibration in March) and FPGA version in 2020. Best rise time I get is 535ps.. but if I'm 100% honest it is probably 540ps. I think that puts that questions to bed, right?

I've seen several cases where the calib date is no indication of the manufacturing date.

This came direct from Siglent this month. I have no reason to believe it is old. Is there a way to get the manufacture date?

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #427 on: July 04, 2020, 11:17:47 pm »
Got my SDS5034 yesterday. As expected, the 1GHz options works but doesn't provide the full bandwidth. But that's OK with me. It's a 5GSa/s scope anyway, so aren't too many sample points in the high time resolutions.
For what it's worth, I measured a  mean rise time of around 550ps (140mV/div, Sinc, 1ns/div). So I guess there isn't much of a difference between different models.
1016958-0
Calibration certificate is dated 4/2020.

Side note: my scope came with all options installed (bought it just at the end of the promotion) but it still came with an option card for the function generator and obviously Welectron wants to deliver option cards for the remaining 6 licenses. I still tried the "authorized" code on the option card on the siglent website but that resulted in "The Authorized code is invalidated".
So I just wonder: is it normal that the options come pre-installed for scopes bought during the "all options" promotion? Did you guys get any option cards of other proof about owning these options?
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #428 on: July 04, 2020, 11:30:55 pm »
Perhaps they used the codes to install and give them to you as backups/proof they're legit?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #429 on: July 05, 2020, 12:12:29 am »
Got my SDS5034 yesterday. As expected, the 1GHz options works but doesn't provide the full bandwidth. But that's OK with me. It's a 5GSa/s scope anyway, so aren't too many sample points in the high time resolutions.
For what it's worth, I measured a  mean rise time of around 550ps (140mV/div, Sinc, 1ns/div). So I guess there isn't much of a difference between different models.
(Attachment Link)
Calibration certificate is dated 4/2020.

Side note: my scope came with all options installed (bought it just at the end of the promotion) but it still came with an option card for the function generator and obviously Welectron wants to deliver option cards for the remaining 6 licenses. I still tried the "authorized" code on the option card on the siglent website but that resulted in "The Authorized code is invalidated".
So I just wonder: is it normal that the options come pre-installed for scopes bought during the "all options" promotion? Did you guys get any option cards of other proof about owning these options?
Which means it's already been redeemed/used.
Contact your supplier and inform them that code is invalid.......presuming you didn't make an error when entering the code or the scopes SN# on the website.

You will probably get another full set of codes when your supplier contacts the factory for the promotion full options package.

FYI, the factory must generate the codes particular to your scope then you redeem them at the options website.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #430 on: July 05, 2020, 12:46:57 am »
Yeah, but again: all the options came installed. So even if the Siglent Website would have created an activation code, I couldn't have entered it.
Again, my main question is: is it normal for the options to come installed for scopes bought within the free options promotion? If so: is there usually any kind of proof (apart from the invoice) delivered that the free options are legitimate? So are the option cards meant as proof even though they can't be used anymore since the options are already installed?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #431 on: July 05, 2020, 04:49:44 am »
Yeah, but again: all the options came installed. So even if the Siglent Website would have created an activation code, I couldn't have entered it.
Again, my main question is: is it normal for the options to come installed for scopes bought within the free options promotion?
Depends on dealer. If I have the options on hand I install them before dispatch and itemize them in the invoice.
If so: is there usually any kind of proof (apart from the invoice) delivered that the free options are legitimate?

No proof at all, the only real proof is option cards and/or the sellers documentation.
We get the licences in PDF form with the authorized code to redeem at the options website where we can also download the official option codes with installation instructions also in PDF form to pass to customers if we please.
So are the option cards meant as proof even though they can't be used anymore since the options are already installed?

I guess they are however in your case purchase date when the free full option package was offered should be sufficient proof that your unit has come with all options free.

Enjoy your SDS5000X.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline edigi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #432 on: July 05, 2020, 06:40:44 am »

I had exactly the same experience: All options installed but received a non working option card for the FG with the (so far unfulfilled) promise that the rest will follow "once available" ("as they are on backorder"; this explanation made me a bit wonder). Thanks to certain forum members here I'm not worried too much though (as anything can be recovered should a crash wipe it out) but I understand that should the equipment resold an official proof is good to have for the official licenses.

Otherwise I think it's an excellent piece of equipment so enjoy your 5kX.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #433 on: July 05, 2020, 09:06:37 am »
It's a minor formal issue. I could have created these option keys myself obviously, but I wanted to have the legitimate ones mainly for potential resell value (since it would feel shady to sell a full optioned scope where you "hacked" the options). Anyway, so far it looks as if the SDSD5K lives up to my expectations. The only downsides I noticed so far.
  • Booting takes quite a while, with a lot (!) of relay clicking and no progress indicator whatsoever
  • The fan is clearly audible. Not tedious like the multi-fans of midrange LeCroys but certainly not silent
  • The PC-SW (EasyScopeX) seems to be an utter pile of crap
  • Saving to USB stick seems to take quite a while

I like the GUI though, the rotary encoders are not nearly as shabby as expected, also the provided probes look and feel OK (not quite LeCroy, but close enough for me).
Everything GUI and display related is fast and convenient. I like that the measurements can be arranged vertically or horizontally. Don't think I saw this anywhere else before.
I also like the (automatic) history mode. This could come in handy. And the Web-GUI is really very good. It would be nice though to have an equivalent possibility through USB since network access is problematic in larger companies (can be forbidden for anything not under control of IT department or cost a monthly fee just for the IP).

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #434 on: July 05, 2020, 09:46:51 pm »
It's a minor formal issue. I could have created these option keys myself obviously, but I wanted to have the legitimate ones mainly for potential resell value (since it would feel shady to sell a full optioned scope where you "hacked" the options). Anyway, so far it looks as if the SDSD5K lives up to my expectations. The only downsides I noticed so far.
  • Booting takes quite a while, with a lot (!) of relay clicking and no progress indicator whatsoever
  • The fan is clearly audible. Not tedious like the multi-fans of midrange LeCroys but certainly not silent
  • The PC-SW (EasyScopeX) seems to be an utter pile of crap
  • Saving to USB stick seems to take quite a while

I like the GUI though, the rotary encoders are not nearly as shabby as expected, also the provided probes look and feel OK (not quite LeCroy, but close enough for me).
Everything GUI and display related is fast and convenient. I like that the measurements can be arranged vertically or horizontally. Don't think I saw this anywhere else before.
I also like the (automatic) history mode. This could come in handy. And the Web-GUI is really very good. It would be nice though to have an equivalent possibility through USB since network access is problematic in larger companies (can be forbidden for anything not under control of IT department or cost a monthly fee just for the IP).
With the Cal date you posted earlier I guess it has the latest 0.9.1B2 firmware installed ?
For saving to USB are you using the blue Print button ?

Have you added a USB mouse to it yet ?

OH and BTW, if I spec options in a unit from the factory, there's no record of them other than on the invoice.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #435 on: July 05, 2020, 10:37:06 pm »
With the Cal date you posted earlier I guess it has the latest 0.9.1B2 firmware installed ?
Yes.

Yes. I mean it doesn't take excessively long. But for a ~40-60k screenshot, saving should happen instantly. Yet it took so long that I pressed again since I wondered it the first button push got lost.
Not a big issue. I guess I'll only use the web interface for screenshots in the future anyway.

No and honestly I don't plan to. Never used a mouse with the LeCroy at work. Why would I start that now at home?

OH and BTW, if I spec options in a unit from the factory, there's no record of them other than on the invoice.
OK, I guess that's settled then. I was mainly confused to get that option card for the function generator, that the delivery note says the remaining licenses will be delivered later and that even the invoice names the function generator license explicitly as (only) detail for the full option package.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #436 on: July 05, 2020, 10:57:16 pm »
No and honestly I don't plan to. Never used a mouse with the LeCroy at work. Why would I start that now at home?

On our WR9054 and HDO6034A, I don´t have the needing to use it, on our WS3024 it was pain in the arse not to use it.
At home, on my sds2K+, I find it more comfortable to use the mouse.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #437 on: July 05, 2020, 11:01:00 pm »
Yes. I mean it doesn't take excessively long. But for a ~40-60k screenshot, saving should happen instantly. Yet it took so long that I pressed again since I wondered it the first button push got lost.
Not a big issue. I guess I'll only use the web interface for screenshots in the future anyway.
Oh OK. It does take a second or two and it's when I find USB sticks with an activity LED very useful.
Yeah well I never though I'd use a mouse with a instrument either but some little time doing so convinced me it lifts productivity somewhat. Some of the menus are much easier and faster to use with a mouse.
Also using the virtual keyboards and keypads is much faster with a mouse.
While the touch display is good a mouse adds a lot more.

Try one, even just the plainest mouse with a scroll wheel helps heaps.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #438 on: July 05, 2020, 11:07:11 pm »
Hm, if I totally wanted to use the mouse, I could use it for the web interface, couldn't I? Anyway, neither at work nor at home, I really have proper space for a scope mouse.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #439 on: July 05, 2020, 11:22:25 pm »
Hm, if I totally wanted to use the mouse, I could use it for the web interface, couldn't I?
Yes of course, that's how we normally use a PC.  ;)
Anyway, neither at work nor at home, I really have proper space for a scope mouse.
IIRC some guys that have the SDS2kX Plus use a wireless mouse that's easier to park outta the way when the bench get busy. However if you're like me the less RF around the bench the better !

Anyways, there's a few settings I find easier/faster to do with a mouse however I don't use one constantly.
YMMV  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #440 on: July 06, 2020, 06:42:57 am »
If I may add my experience with Keysight 3000T. I do occasionally use wireless mouse because it is sometimes easier than reaching over desk when you doing something fiddly...
So mouse is in a category not all the time, but occasionally very useful.  It really depends where the scope is: on desk right next to your hand, or above desk on a shelf and a bit out of hand..

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #441 on: July 13, 2020, 10:28:01 am »
Something I forgot to mention: instead of the four 350MHz probes SP2035A I expected, my SDS5034X was delivered with four 500MHz (SP3050A) probes. It seems the delivery content was upgraded at some point. Actually the last datasheet (E01H) only lists the SP3050A as standard accessory, but I'm pretty sure that older datasheets mentioned the SP2035A for the 350MHz model.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #442 on: July 13, 2020, 12:30:49 pm »
The probes costs appx. 230€ - Each... :o
When I would ordering them, it will costs more than half of my scope.
A nice gift from them. 8)

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #443 on: July 13, 2020, 03:53:35 pm »
Yeah, while it's debatable if a 500MHz probe is generally much more useful than a 350MHz probe, this was a pleasant surprise - especially since the SP3050A also has a higher voltage rating (400V rms) compared to the SP2035A (300V rms).
BTW: In version E10C of the datasheet, the probes listed under standard accessories are still "SP2035A for 350 MHz models and SP3050A for 500 MHz / 1 GHz models" while version E01G only names SP3050A. So it must have happened somewhere in-between that they upgraded the probes for the SDS5024X.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #444 on: July 13, 2020, 08:39:27 pm »
Yeah, while it's debatable if a 500MHz probe is generally much more useful than a 350MHz probe, this was a pleasant surprise - especially since the SP3050A also has a higher voltage rating (400V rms) compared to the SP2035A (300V rms).
BTW: In version E10C of the datasheet, the probes listed under standard accessories are still "SP2035A for 350 MHz models and SP3050A for 500 MHz / 1 GHz models" while version E01G only names SP3050A. So it must have happened somewhere in-between that they upgraded the probes for the SDS5034X.
I think the decision to supply the 500 MHz probes with all models was made quite early and maybe after datasheets were written.
I can confirm even early adopters of the 350 MHz SDS5034X had the SP3050A 500 MHz probes supplied with the scope.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #445 on: August 13, 2020, 09:13:57 am »
Got message from member w0 WRT his SDS5034X and SP3050A probes not compensating properly.
This is how they should look and if they cannot be compensated correctly they are faulty and in need of replacement by Siglent.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline edigi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #446 on: August 13, 2020, 06:56:38 pm »
tautech, how much is the fault visible?
I mean I heavily suspect that the issue exists with my probes but in this small size like you show it's hard to see it.
When I try to compensate there is either the spike and to be able to compensate it out the flat top already starts to bend down.
I could not see any issue with 1MHz (external generator) but it also exists with 1kHz external generator (I wanted to exclude the DSO as potential problem source).

As a bonus issue: The DSO always measures the frequency a bit down. I've measured the frequency of the compensation output with external generator it was spot on but DSO measures a bit less both for the external generator and surprisingly for its own compensation output as well...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #447 on: August 14, 2020, 08:48:55 am »
edigi
I can't quite adjust the probe compensation signal rising and falling overshoot to zero however in normal use you never see it unless sensitivity is much increased from where you would normally have it.
Even the probes HF trimmers don't remove it.  :(

The active probe SAP1000 that is also a 10:1 probe shows no overshoot from the probe compensation output.

SP3050A probes

SAP1000 ch4, SDG6022X BNC connection ch2 (50 ohm)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline edigi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #448 on: August 14, 2020, 10:18:26 am »
OK, but then what is the borderline between when you say that the probe cannot be compensated because it's faulty or it's OK that it cannot be fully compensated.
I've repeated the test with a cheap (I think 200MHz) probe (borrowed the spring grounding from the Siglent probe though as it either never existed with that probe or I just could not find it).
I could better compensate it than the SP3050A. I had to switch on the averaging to be able to see the remaining error.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #449 on: August 14, 2020, 08:06:33 pm »
OK, but then what is the borderline between when you say that the probe cannot be compensated because it's faulty or it's OK that it cannot be fully compensated.
When the trimmer cannot get the top of the compensation signal anywhere near flat.

I might have to dig out the faulty warranty claim probe and take a screenshot to show how bad it was.....maybe later today/tonight.
It is obviously a dud however I don't hold it against Siglent or their probe supplier as it was replaced under warranty after I sent screenshots showing how bad it was.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf