Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3084618 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #5525 on: June 15, 2016, 10:54:01 am »
Lets also have a look at the Popular Forum Owner who called these kind of guys "highly respected journalists" and shut down critical forum members who dared to question the existence of a "prototype" these "highly respected journalists" claimed to have seen as the only ones in the world at that time.

IIRC, you've been warned about continually harping on about this before. Let it go.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #5526 on: June 15, 2016, 12:58:32 pm »
I expect the (US) SEC would be interested if they're not already

You're not buying stock in Batteroo, why would the SEC be involved?

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #5527 on: June 15, 2016, 01:24:34 pm »
Since it all went quiet on the book of face and IGG the marketing droids have been showing re-runs of old image on instagram: https://www.instagram.com/batteriser.official/

I just had a look at Facebook to see if what I just said was still true, and found this little gem from June 9th.

Quote from: Batteriser, June 9 at 8:11pm
We receive word from our factory tomorrow with all the information we need to announce the shipping dates. Expect an Indiegogo update soon!

It was a big paper (probably an A0 sheet) with "WORD" written on it?....

:-DD
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5528 on: June 15, 2016, 08:32:56 pm »
It was a big paper (probably an A0 sheet) with "WORD" written on it?....

:-DD

Maybe someone from Roohparvar's IT "team" is coming to install Microsoft Word on his machine?? He just has to wait for the media to arrive from the factory/warehouse.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #5530 on: June 15, 2016, 10:00:05 pm »
Quote from: Batteriser, June 9 at 8:11pm
We receive word from our factory tomorrow with all the information we need to announce the shipping dates. Expect an Indiegogo update soon!

My theory is that they are waiting for everyone to die off.  I think people on the "what to do when you die" topic need to put their purchases in their will and see if their heirs can collect 50 years from now.  My guess is in 50 years the shipping date will be "soon".

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5531 on: June 16, 2016, 02:13:08 am »
My guess is in 50 years the shipping date will be "soon".

I feel you are being rather generous - and far too optimistic.

IMHO, in 50 years we'll have had more hollow promises from at least dozen dodgy deal desperados.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #5532 on: June 16, 2016, 03:03:12 am »
I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was looking forward to the 2032 version, I won't coin that phrase ever again.   :palm:

The following users thanked this post: mikerj, Delta

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #5533 on: June 17, 2016, 01:05:46 pm »
I mentioned earlier in the thread that I was looking forward to the 2032 version, I won't coin that phrase ever again.   :palm:

You have coined them!
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5534 on: June 18, 2016, 02:30:14 am »
Maybe we will have a resolution to this matter in 2032.  It's just another 16 years.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #5535 on: June 18, 2016, 02:48:10 pm »
WIKIPEDIA: Just in case anyone else is interested to add/comment.
I added a paragraph on Wikipedia (quoted below) on Batteriser's Wikipedia page, but it was reverted by another member 'Ronz'.

I have no reason to suspect Ronz is affiliated with Batteriser, but it makes me question the objectivity of Wikipedia and their editors.

May 2016 - No independently verified tests have been offered to support any of the battery life benefits claimed for the product.  No products have been shipped to investors/backers - hence there is no evidence the Batteriser exists or works as claimed.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5536 on: June 18, 2016, 04:22:27 pm »
it makes me question the objectivity of Wikipedia and their editors.

Wikipedia editors can't possibly monitor every page 24/7.

You can help them out by reporting 'Ronz' to the Wiki Police. What he's doing is strictly against the rules.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5537 on: June 19, 2016, 12:11:21 am »
I added a paragraph on Wikipedia (quoted below) on Batteriser's Wikipedia page, but it was reverted by another member 'Ronz'.

I have no reason to suspect Ronz is affiliated with Batteriser, but it makes me question the objectivity of Wikipedia and their editors.

May 2016 - No independently verified tests have been offered to support any of the battery life benefits claimed for the product.  No products have been shipped to investors/backers - hence there is no evidence the Batteriser exists or works as claimed.

To be honest with you, unless you have an awful lot of time on your hands, I'd be wary of editing anything on Wikipedia that seems to attract uber pedants and individuals with apparently unexplained hidden agendas. Wikipedia user Ronz has spent many days and weeks of their life together with another user who tried to anonymise themselves (and who affected content by voting multiple times using anonymous logins) systematically vandelising other Wikipedia pages with connections to this forum. Probably not a battle worth fighting and getting wound up about IMHO.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5538 on: June 19, 2016, 12:28:31 am »
Cheers to that!    Done, a query was raised with wiki police.
Not really wanting to get worked up, just interested in having fraudsters and bullies 'called out'!

Maybe someone else wants to do something similar - keep the torch turned on both teams.

EDIT:  A very prompt reply from Wikipedia, that included this para...
The verifiability policy states: "The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is
verifiability, not truth — that is, whether readers are able to check that
material added to Wikipedia has already been published by a reliable source,
not whether we think it is true."

Paraphrased... "never let the truth get in the way of a good story."
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 12:48:36 am by SL4P »

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5539 on: June 19, 2016, 01:33:37 am »

Paraphrased... "never let the truth get in the way of a good story."

I think "It's not what you know, it's what you can prove", is more appropriate for Wikipedia.  It's fair enough really.

We need that journo from the Sydney Morning Herald (I think she was the only one to be even sceptical of the BatterBros ridiculous claims) to do a follow-up article, thus giving a reliable source to reference.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5540 on: June 19, 2016, 07:03:57 am »

Ronz is one of at least two people who are hell bent on getting my Wikipedia page removed.
So obsessed that my Talk page is bigger than Donald Trumps!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:David_L._Jones
The other is of course a famous unnamed banned individual who caused no end of trouble on this forum and will not be spoken of again.

[/quote]

That last sentence is demonstrably untrue. The product as a prototype exists.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5541 on: June 19, 2016, 09:21:53 am »

Ronz is one of at least two people who are hell bent on getting my Wikipedia page removed.
So obsessed that my Talk page is bigger than Donald Trumps!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:David_L._Jones
The other is of course a famous unnamed banned individual who caused no end of trouble on this forum and will not be spoken of again.

That last sentence is demonstrably untrue. The product as a prototype exists.
[/quote]

Isn't fame nice Dave ;)

If you ran as US president ( aside from the minor thing of birth and being on a watch list, like most of the rest of the planet) you probably would get a good chunk of the vote, as your followers are more likely to get off the couch and vote for you.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5542 on: June 19, 2016, 09:45:50 am »
mea culpa...
It doesn't exist as a product.
Point taken, Batteriser is a roaring success, and the Butt Bros are in line for a Nobble Prize.

Offline meeder

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5543 on: June 19, 2016, 10:58:12 am »
mea culpa...
It doesn't exist as a product.
Point taken, Batteriser is a roaring success, and the Butt Bros are in line for a Nobble Prize.
That's not what Dave says. Batteroo has shown a prototype and I have no doubt that they could come up with something that works it is just impossible to get the performance they claim.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5544 on: June 19, 2016, 11:19:12 am »
That's not what Dave says. Batteroo has shown a prototype and I have no doubt that they could come up with something that works it is just impossible to get the performance they claim.

Let's be real about this.
Batteroo could have and would have shipped this ages ago if no one had kicked up a technical stink about it.
It would have been a piss-poor product that didn't get close to their claims, but that wouldn't have mattered because the placebo effect and customer confirmation bias would have kicked in and they'd have countless non-technical customs giving it positive reviews.

It's because they have been called out on their BS claims that there has been delay after delay, because they have no idea how to ship anything now that wouldn't get torn to shreads in the technical media now that they are on the radar. Not that they can, they know very well that anything they ship won't come close to their claims.
Even if they were technically incompetent (through lack of effort or whatever, because these are smart guys) or delusional enough to think it could have worked before, so much data has been shown to them that blows it out the water, and they are smart enough to know that now. The game is up.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5545 on: June 19, 2016, 11:22:13 am »
...they are smart enough to know that now. The game is up.
Not enough for Wikipedia.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5546 on: June 19, 2016, 11:31:40 am »
...they are smart enough to know that now. The game is up.
Not enough for Wikipedia.

I just took a look at the Wikipedia page which I have not seen for a long time.
Chnages I'd make:
- The first paragraph "The Batteriser has received both positive and negative reviews". There of course have been no reviews of the actual product.

Another source of contention surrounds the brownout voltages for battery-operated devices. David L. Jones in his EEV Blog used a programmable power supply to determine that nearly all devices function in some respect until around 1.1V, or roughly 80% of a battery's life due to the non-linear discharge cycles of batteries. This stands in contrast to Batteriser's claim that using a Batteriser will unlock the remaining 80% of power (from 1.3V downwards).[9] Batteriser has counter-argued that the bench power supply test is flawed, because of the definitions used by Jones to define device functionality, the inherent differences between power supplies and batteries on the basis of Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR), and different measures of voltage (confusion between open circuit voltage and closed circuit voltage).[12][13]

I of course did a follow-up video on this explaining why their argument has little to no merit.

David Jones on EEV Blog raised the concern that because the Batteriser acts as a ground for the boost converter circuit, any nick in the insulation might result in a direct short, and potentially a fire.[16]

They essentially acknowledged this and fixed it with a coating.

Due to the anonymous nature of the attacks, it is currently unknown who was responsible. Batteroo has received a lot of criticism due to circumstantial evidence, but suspicion is present that Batteroo's competitors attempted to generate bad publicity for the product.

Batteroo don't have any competitors.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5547 on: June 19, 2016, 07:33:22 pm »
Batteroo has shown a prototype and I have no doubt that they could come up with something that works it is just impossible to get the performance they claim.
If they even ever made a prototype, it had nothing to do with the specs and performance they claimed.
Like promising a speedboat and then showing the prototype that matches the flintstones.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5548 on: June 19, 2016, 07:38:40 pm »
..., but it makes me question the objectivity of Wikipedia and their editors.
there is a large groupthink problem on Wikipedia, witch also occurs on many forums, this one being one of the exceptions that performs better.

I once was a far witness of an accident on a festival, the guy was dead.
I added that to the wiki page of the festival, must have been 40 seconds online I think.
Problem is the organisation was warned about those visitor's behavour, and did nothing. That makes them guilty of ignoring, and guilty of covering up.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 07:42:24 pm by Galenbo »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #5549 on: June 20, 2016, 10:39:28 am »
Wikipedia biggest issue is "trust references not truth"

Unless they change that behaviour you can't read any technical articles without a lot of doubt.
I'm working on documenting an old device, and the Wikipedia page is full of errors, I corrected them with explanation in the edit comment,to get them reverted a few minutes later because "no references so it's not valid".

Bummers.. (There were issues like saying 512Kbyte instead of when it's in kbit for memory)

The best part is that a stupid thing I corrected was "referenced" to an online magazine article that was claiming to use data from Wikipedia..., uhhhhh? That's pretty handy isn't it? (And it was about some pretty stupid things.)

After that incident I've completely lost trust in Wikipedia, that's just a lair of trolls.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf