Author Topic: FranLab is getting evicted  (Read 258732 times)

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
Re: FranLab is getting evicted
« Reply #2050 on: May 03, 2023, 01:47:11 am »
Nonsense. Everyone knows it's about red mercury and graphene perpetual energy motors. That's where the big numbers are at!

Quote from: .RC. on Today at 20:35:03
It seems the answer is Electroboom and EEVBlog and others need to get some implants and make a video of them running their house by cobbling together a HDD and an AAA battery with their new tits outs and have their mouth open and they will get their tens or hundreds of millions of views. 

« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 02:33:01 am by Quarlo Klobrigney »
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2051 on: May 03, 2023, 01:56:15 am »
Entertainment tends to cater to the lowest common denominator, ...

It caters to what brings in the dollars. Whether or not that is also the LCD is purely a personal value judgement.

I've heard children's toys unboxing is quite lucrative. Is it also the LCD? I say no.

I watch YT channels you'd likely dismiss as LCD stuff. I'd agree I could watch less of it but I enjoy watching heavy machinery pushing dirt.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2052 on: May 03, 2023, 01:59:36 am »
And both myself and Electroboom have seen rather large continual drop-off in Patrons. Maybe Patreon is starting to decline from being "the thing"?
If so Fran might strugle to maintain Patrons regardless over the coming years.

It looks to me like the number of Patrons is not declining nearly as much as the revenue. So it may be patrons with less disposable income are paring back expenditure. Everyone is feeling squeezed.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2053 on: May 03, 2023, 02:04:27 am »
Everyone is feeling squeezed.
Rogered is a better description.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #2054 on: May 03, 2023, 02:31:36 am »
But it's not Slo-Mo Joe's fault. He said so. :horse:

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2055 on: May 03, 2023, 03:14:51 am »
Entertainment tends to cater to the lowest common denominator, ...
It caters to what brings in the dollars.

I just tweeted today:
From my recent video stats it's clear that people only like reviews of cheap shit, debunkings, and oddball stuff like putting 283 double adapters in series.
The rest of the content, meh.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2056 on: May 03, 2023, 03:18:32 am »
And both myself and Electroboom have seen rather large continual drop-off in Patrons. Maybe Patreon is starting to decline from being "the thing"?
It looks to me like the number of Patrons is not declining nearly as much as the revenue. So it may be patrons with less disposable income are paring back expenditure. Everyone is feeling squeezed.

Only the creator knows the exact revenue. Fran's income could still be the same, but I doubt it. As you say, people are feeling squeezed, so I'd expect some who upped their pledge last time to drop that back a bit, if not entirely. As a full time creator I have to plan for Patreon to possibly go to zero, or at least drop drastically coming into a recession.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2057 on: May 03, 2023, 07:11:56 am »
I just tweeted today:
From my recent video stats it's clear that people only like reviews of cheap shit, debunkings, and oddball stuff like putting 283 double adapters in series.
The rest of the content, meh.

Big Clive seems to do alright with reviews of cheap things. There's reviews of cheap stuff available just to mock it for being cheap, which isn't interesting. I like to find out if it is acceptably safe and functional notwithstanding the low price. I like to find a good value match between my use case and cheap.

I can go without the string of double adapters, that's pretty low-brow. But if there's smoke, noise and flames then count me in.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2058 on: May 03, 2023, 08:08:45 am »
Big Clive doesn't depend on Youtube revenue. In fact, he's not even trying to make money at it so far as I can tell...he just likes doing it.

Fran has set up her life so she's almost totally dependent on her social media revenue and donations. And the banks were probably wise to refuse to consider that a dependable income stream.

Huge difference.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #2059 on: May 03, 2023, 08:51:49 am »
Seriously we are now 4 years into this and everything Fran has remained the same. Intransigence on location, life and way to close to her own belief in direction on YouTube to see there is a basic set of problems.

NO ONE is owed a living and if you can't do a job people are happy with then you either change or get a new job!

Repeating this same rubbish here every few months here does no more than undermine any remaining credibility she has if anyone bothers to do a basic search and maybe it is time it went away or at a minimum somewhere away from the general public.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2060 on: May 03, 2023, 10:00:51 am »
Big Clive doesn't depend on Youtube revenue. In fact, he's not even trying to make money at it so far as I can tell...he just likes doing it.

He does make a good amount from Patreon though. Likely close to 6 figures a year.

Fran has set up her life so she's almost totally dependent on her social media revenue and donations.

It's a tight rope, but hats off, she's made it work.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #2061 on: May 03, 2023, 12:46:23 pm »
Seriously we are now 4 years into this ...

Clearly there are deeeeeply infatuated people here, hence this never ending discussion about Fran.  :-//

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #2062 on: May 03, 2023, 07:03:08 pm »

The depravity of youtube really opens the eyes. What they allow and disallow on their platform really shows what a bad corporation they are.

It's more about the depravity of the average human, corps are run by humans with the extra motivation for profit which will drive them to do anything not illegal or that will get such a backlash that it will hurt profits.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, MK14

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #2063 on: May 03, 2023, 07:06:51 pm »

Only the creator knows the exact revenue. Fran's income could still be the same, but I doubt it. As you say, people are feeling squeezed, so I'd expect some who upped their pledge last time to drop that back a bit, if not entirely. As a full time creator I have to plan for Patreon to possibly go to zero, or at least drop drastically coming into a recession.

I have youtube premium because apart from hating adds I think it's value for money and would like the creators to get something, too bad "someone" insists on odysee exclusives :), and no I am not signing up to their pro thing until they deal with the rightwing nutcase conspiracy theorists that litter their platform.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2064 on: May 03, 2023, 07:43:31 pm »

The depravity of youtube really opens the eyes. What they allow and disallow on their platform really shows what a bad corporation they are.

It's more about the depravity of the average human, corps are run by humans with the extra motivation for profit which will drive them to do anything not illegal or that will get such a backlash that it will hurt profits.
The reason Youtube exists is as old as civilisation:

Only difference is you can watch from within your own home nowadays.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 07:45:16 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain, MK14, magic

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #2065 on: May 03, 2023, 07:45:57 pm »
Quite

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #2066 on: May 03, 2023, 10:50:23 pm »

You misspelled it. You're missing an L in the word after deeeeeply.

Quote from: BravoV on Today at 07:46:23

>Quote from: beanflying on Today at 03:51:49
Seriously we are now
4 years into this ...

Clearly there are deeeeeply infatuated people here, hence this never ending discussion about Fran.  :-//

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2067 on: May 04, 2023, 12:19:12 am »

Most of us are just fans who don't want her channel to fail.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2068 on: May 04, 2023, 12:24:18 am »

Most of us are just fans who don't want her channel to fail.

And the same thing happens over and over and over, and Fran airs all this dirty laundry in a very public way and every time it happens people start posting about it here.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2069 on: May 04, 2023, 12:29:49 am »
I have youtube premium because apart from hating adds I think it's value for money and would like the creators to get something

About 1/4 of my Youtube review comes from Premium subscribers. I have it too, no ads is great, and part of that money goes to videos that I watch that month.

too bad "someone" insists on odysee exclusives :), and no I am not signing up to their pro thing until they deal with the rightwing nutcase conspiracy theorists that litter their platform.

Someone has to help build alternative platforms to Youtube. I decided to step up to the plate.
"rightwing nutcase conspiracy theorists" on Odsyee? Have you seen Bitchute or Rumble?
At least Odysee's top 100 channels is absolutely littered with electronics, science, tech, and space channels, many of whom I convinced to join. I see literally zero content I don't want to see on Odysee, I'm logged in and only see the channels I follow, easy.
Also, almost all those same "nutjob" channels are also on Youtube.
The #1 channel on Odysee is Veritasium, a science channel.
I bet there are zero of those channels on Bitchute and Rumble's Top 100 channel list.

FYI, there is a new platform coming that will actively not invite political/controversial channels at all. Guess who's one of the first sign-ups  ;D
https://tokin.video/

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2070 on: May 04, 2023, 12:30:52 am »
And the same thing happens over and over and over, and Fran airs all this dirty laundry in a very public way and every time it happens people start posting about it here.

And the problem with discussing stuff is...?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2071 on: May 04, 2023, 12:49:25 am »

Nothing as far as I'm concerned, I wasn't the one complaining about it.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #2072 on: May 04, 2023, 01:27:06 am »

Nothing as far as I'm concerned, I wasn't the one complaining about it.

Lets be very clear here I was NOT complaining about the topic or discussion but again raising the question is it helping or just continuing a 4 year long (mainly negative) circular discussion on Fran and the drama.

Airing of the SAME problems time and time again over years in public simply undermines Fran IMO.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2073 on: May 04, 2023, 01:34:33 am »
Airing of the SAME problems time and time again over years in public simply undermines Fran IMO.

Doesn't seem to have. And this has been kind of a catch-all thread for things that a lot of us deal with. Lab spaces, storage, rent vs buy, income sources, expense management, taxes etc.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2074 on: May 04, 2023, 02:24:31 am »
Lets be very clear here I was NOT complaining about the topic or discussion but again raising the question is it helping or just continuing a 4 year long (mainly negative) circular discussion on Fran and the drama.

But the SAME problems keep happening over and over again, and whenever it happens people start talking about it. Fran is the one that made the things we are discussing public, she could have chosen to keep them private if that was what she wanted to do. Fran is also the one that keeps doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results, and many of us engineers can't help brainstorming solutions because that's what engineers do. I don't think this thread is helping Fran (because she doesn't seem to want help), but I don't think it's hurting either.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf