Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3083539 times)

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #5875 on: October 09, 2016, 12:57:26 am »
Hi,

I have no idea who the Appnoon people are. I don't think that they are connected to Batteroo at all.

If this was a Batteroo video, wouldn't it be on the official channel?

There is www.appnoon.com that seem to be an app developer for smart phones. They may or may not be connected to the Appnoon YouTube.

There is another video, called Sequence 01:

This one is marked preview.

May be this is work in progress that shouldn't be available yet?

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 01:01:33 am by Jay_Diddy_B »

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #5876 on: October 09, 2016, 01:31:15 am »
I think you are right that the Appnoon mob are just knocking out stuff in the hope that they may be engaged by Batteroo to promote the phantom product as we discussed earlier in the thread.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-751-how-to-debunk-a-product-(the-batteriser)/msg904043/#msg904043

What I don't get is that I thought Energizer put a stop to Batteroo using their name in promotional material yet they still make reference to the battery giant on one of their web pages.

http://batteroo.co/batteriser-technical-qa/
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 01:32:53 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5877 on: October 09, 2016, 02:24:35 am »
The thing I don't get is if Batteroo plan to not deliver at all then why bother with the last update specifying a date?

Because they are a bunch of liars? Date or no date, it's all still bullshit.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5878 on: October 09, 2016, 04:45:57 am »
It would appear that the Appnoon mob are putting more effort into the product than anybody else and probably like everybody else getting nothing in return, shameful.

I hope it's really one big troll campaign. >:D That would be HILARIOUS! :-DD
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5879 on: October 09, 2016, 11:31:29 am »
I think you are right that the Appnoon mob are just knocking out stuff in the hope that they may be engaged by Batteroo to promote the phantom product as we discussed earlier in the thread.

I doubt it, I recon they are paying them peanuts to produce potential marketing video. Like they paid a pittance to those actors on fiverr to produce those fake videos.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5880 on: October 09, 2016, 11:49:13 am »
But WHY?

Considering they have had the opportunity for it to 'go quietly into the night', the continued 'surfacing' of the Batteroo promise makes me wonder.... are they trying to maintain an image of hope for some ulterior motive?

Do they have another agenda that needs Batteroo to maintain some semblance of propriety, however meagre or nebulous?

Otherwise, this whole business is nonsensical.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5881 on: October 09, 2016, 12:16:15 pm »
But WHY?
Considering they have had the opportunity for it to 'go quietly into the night', the continued 'surfacing' of the Batteroo promise makes me wonder.... are they trying to maintain an image of hope for some ulterior motive?
Do they have another agenda that needs Batteroo to maintain some semblance of propriety, however meagre or nebulous?
Otherwise, this whole business is nonsensical.

That's always been the million dollar question, none of this has ever made sense with all the crazy stuff they have said and done.
I think they have to keep up the appearances in order to potentially snag a buyer for the company and/or that Walmart/Kmart order.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5882 on: October 09, 2016, 01:33:42 pm »
But WHY?

Who knows? Maybe Bob just had lunch with somebody who's:
a) Rich
b) Never heard of the Internet.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5883 on: October 09, 2016, 01:36:45 pm »
But WHY?

Who knows? Maybe Bob just had lunch with somebody who's:
a) Rich
b) Never heard of the Internet.

those 2 are generally not mutually exclusive.

Offline onlooker

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5884 on: October 09, 2016, 02:00:09 pm »
One possibility, If SK is still in the dark(=believing the thing), bob and the company needs to pretending doing something to keep it that way until all the money are spent or packeted legally.

If the project has to fail, they also would prefer it fails more gracefully and to project the image that they did everything possible and they are not the ones to blame, so  not to overly impact their next project negatively. Remember, they are serial entrepreneurs. They must be mindful of their next projects all the time.

In other words, if, in general public's mind, Dave's this debunk is successful, Dave had just debunked their cridibility, compedence and truthfulness, and, in away, their upcoming projects. In that sense, this is a battle they have to fight and sustain to control the damage, rather than abandon.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 04:08:29 pm by onlooker »

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #5885 on: October 09, 2016, 05:10:50 pm »

That's always been the million dollar question, none of this has ever made sense with all the crazy stuff they have said and done.
I think they have to keep up the appearances in order to potentially snag a buyer for the company and/or that Walmart/Kmart order.

Here is one possible explanation: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12294193
"Trading was just halted in Neuromama (OTC:NERO), a startup with a $35 billion market cap. They have a search engine (https://neuromama.com/), a social network (http://vica.life/), and claim "heavy ion fusion" and oceanfront property in Mexico. The CEO got out of prison 6 years ago."
spoiler: it was a bunch of BS SEO created by fiverr type copywriters and a "search engine" page proxying queries to google, laughable on the face of it, still managed to scam people out of ridiculous sums of money.

Is butterscam or their parent company traded on penny stock exchanges by any chance? Either that or they are building "stronk portfolio' in order to scam Asian investors. Chinese stock exchange is full of frauds like this, which led to 2015 crash and government intervention.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5886 on: October 09, 2016, 11:21:08 pm »
In other words, if, in general public's mind, Dave's this debunk is successful, Dave had just debunked their cridibility, compedence and truthfulness, and, in away, their upcoming projects. In that sense, this is a battle they have to fight and sustain to control the damage, rather than abandon.

And this is why they can't ship the product, they know it's game over if they do. Youtube and google will be plastered with so many Batteroo FAIL videos and commentary it won't be funny. Just look at the popularity of this thread and the commentary already out there on it, Batteroo have created a social entertainment monster of a product that has become an industry joke, countless people follow it just for the laughs.
These are not technically dumb guys, they now know their product can't deliver as promised even if they originally thought it would. but they have dug themselves a technical hole so deep they will never get out of.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5887 on: October 09, 2016, 11:41:54 pm »

And this is why they can't ship the product, they know it's game over if they do. Youtube and google will be plastered with so many Batteroo FAIL videos and commentary it won't be funny. Just look at the popularity of this thread and the commentary already out there on it, Batteroo have created a social entertainment monster of a product that has become an industry joke, countless people follow it just for the laughs.
These are not technically dumb guys, they now know their product can't deliver as promised even if they originally thought it would. but they have dug themselves a technical hole so deep they will never get out of.

Why don't they just remarket the damn thing! It still has a use as a device to make rechargeables work where they normally won't. At least they'd have something to actually sell, even if it's a niche application.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5888 on: October 09, 2016, 11:47:28 pm »
Let's have a look at the last update again:
As you are aware from our last email, due to the Energizer trademark infringement lawsuit, we have now officially decided to move forward with Batteroo as our new product name.  Our CEO Bob Roohparvar just returned from Asia where he oversaw the manufacturing process of our newly tooled Batteroo sleeves.  We are happy to announce that by August 22nd, we will begin shipping Batteroo sleeves to our distribution centers in the US and around the world! Consequently, based on input from our logistics company, we expect shipments to our Indiegogo and pre-order customers to happen within four to eight weeks.

As we have been going through this re-tooling process of building the new sleeves that have the Batteroo name and logo, we will not have enough of some of the parts required to build ALL of the sleeves.  However, in order not to delay product shipment any further, we have been cleared by our legal team to build a portion of the sleeves for our Indiegogo and pre-order customers using some of the existing inventory with the  Batteriser name and logo. While some of our Indiegogo and pre-order customers will receive sleeves with Batteroo, and some with Batteriser, both types of sleeves will have the same exact circuitry and Batteroo packaging.

This is clearly saying that manufacturing (and therefore testing etc) is complete and signed off, and at least a pre-production run of Batteroo's has been completely. So final working product already exists in some small-ish volume at the date of the update >2 months ago.

I'm still waiting for that email from Bob saying he's so proud of his product and wants to prove me and the other naysayers wrong that he's going to express ship the first units to the media to test and show the world how great his revolutionary product is.
WAIT, hang on!, just checked by email and I've got an email from Bob!
Oh, hang on, that's just my uncle Bob, bugger.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5889 on: October 09, 2016, 11:49:36 pm »
Why don't they just remarket the damn thing! It still has a use as a device to make rechargeables work where they normally won't. At least they'd have something to actually sell, even if it's a niche application.

Because they don't want a niche application, there is no money in that, no one cares about that, it's not revolutionary enough for these serial entrepreneurs.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5890 on: October 10, 2016, 08:52:17 am »
these serial entrepreneurs.
And... that's why it's being strung out.  To fail completely, or to ship a product that was a complete failure, would interfere with The Next Thing.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5891 on: October 10, 2016, 09:13:28 am »
these serial entrepreneurs.
And... that's why it's being strung out.  To fail completely, or to ship a product that was a complete failure, would interfere with The Next Thing.

Yep. Right now they still have (on paper) a "successful crowdfunding".

(but let's hope nobody goes and looks at the comments)

Today's Dilbert seems relevant:

http://dilbert.com/strip/2016-10-10
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:15:01 am by Fungus »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5892 on: October 10, 2016, 01:20:54 pm »
Dilbert rocks!

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5893 on: October 10, 2016, 09:31:36 pm »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #5894 on: October 11, 2016, 04:10:48 pm »
I love the latest comment on the IGG page...   Kudos, John Sinclair, you made my day! :-DD

I wonder if they are still working around-the-clock to bring us our Batterisers this last November?

I suppose they have just redefined what "around the clock" means to mean "biding time, procrastinating and avoiding doing anything at all" instead!   :palm:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 04:29:11 pm by drussell »

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #5895 on: October 11, 2016, 04:28:26 pm »
There is www.appnoon.com that seem to be an app developer for smart phones. They may or may not be connected to the Appnoon YouTube.
The Youtube channel and webpage use the same company logo. But looks like a cheap one-man show from home, not even a company about page with an address. Might be advertising on Fiverr, too, which btw. I had bad experience with: I ordered a logo design from someone at fiverr, was stolen from another company and only slightly modified, which someone of my target audience noticed before it went public. Since then I always use 99designs, more expensive, but always perfect.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5896 on: October 14, 2016, 09:59:35 am »
I suppose they have just redefined what "around the clock" means to mean "biding time, procrastinating and avoiding doing anything at all" instead!   :palm:

Wake up at 1000H. Oooh, silky bed sheets.
Finally get out of bed at 1030H.
Pee, shower, coffee and read the EEVblog Batteriser thread until 1115H.
1116H: Check bank balance; make sure Indiegogo Backers' money is mostly still there (give or take $100k).
1230H: Time for lunch.
1400H: Cocktail hour at the Roohparvar manse.
Call the "factory" at Shenzhen... Hah! Jokes! Call my cousin Frankie for the lulz at 1500H.
Nintendo Wii until 1600H.
Out for dinner and a show or perhaps another shonky "awards" gala until 2300H.
Rinse and repeat for the next 12 months until some other sucker gives us money.

Offline quad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5897 on: October 14, 2016, 11:55:58 am »
They are "in transit" :bullshit:

Offline quad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5898 on: October 14, 2016, 12:04:02 pm »
And of course general discontent all round...

« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:06:07 pm by quad »

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5899 on: October 15, 2016, 12:16:19 am »
Oops! It seems that the problem is that Voltamort keeps sabotaging the manufacture and shipment of batterizers as part of the war against :bullshit:.

Sorry Not sorry! >:D
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf