Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3083542 times)

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #1850 on: September 09, 2015, 08:29:06 am »
In other "news" new video out.

Well if you can call it "new", just the same crap, and that voltage spike theory is so busted by 5ky´s test
Can anybody find the full UL report? According to this video it should be on their page.

Offline 5ky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1851 on: September 09, 2015, 08:36:00 am »
I love that when they mention UL, they say "To see the full report, Please Visit:" and where I expected to see a link to UL's website, I see "www.battseriser.com".   |O

Offline GNU_Ninja

• Regular Contributor
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1852 on: September 09, 2015, 08:45:10 am »
I love that when they mention UL, they say "To see the full report, Please Visit:" and where I expected to see a link to UL's website, I see "www.battseriser.com".   |O

I'm getting a webpage not available from that link  :-//

Edit: Ahhh .... I should've checked the speling  ;D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:42:58 am by GNU_Ninja »

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1853 on: September 09, 2015, 08:53:00 am »
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline gore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1854 on: September 09, 2015, 08:53:58 am »
There is a spelling error in the link. Not a bad idea by the community to keep track of any changes in their website. I've been to their website quite a few times and things seem to change substantially. Including the original claims. What's this 80%? Wasn't it 800%? :-//

Offline Psycho

« Reply #1855 on: September 09, 2015, 09:18:23 am »
So the new video is a short version of the longer explanation? And they waste 30 seconds of about three minutes for an argument ad verecundiam? :D :D :D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:20:40 am by Psycho »
"Doctor, do you recommend a chemical free diet?" - "Only if you want to starve to death."

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1856 on: September 09, 2015, 09:31:53 am »
There is a spelling error in the link. Not a bad idea by the community to keep track of any changes in their website. I've been to their website quite a few times and things seem to change substantially. Including the original claims. What's this 80%? Wasn't it 800%? :-//

It might as be 80000% it's all the same bullshit.

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1857 on: September 09, 2015, 09:39:21 am »
Remember, according to the video: "This is truley a Global phenomenon!" [sic]

Seriously, invest some of that capital into a word processor with spell check, at least...

That sounds nit-picky. But I can't believe they're still harping on like a stuck record on the same nonsense; arguments based on known, proven, blatantly, obviously false premises. It's beyond a joke.

I've had no reply from Garmin as yet.

Offline AmmoJammo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1858 on: September 09, 2015, 10:01:32 am »
In other "news" new video out.

Well if you can call it "new", just the same crap, and that voltage spike theory is so busted by 5ky´s test

The video states:
Has successfully sold multiple companies

How is that an achievement? That isn't the same as:

:-DD
Has sold multiple successful companies

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1859 on: September 09, 2015, 10:25:25 am »
I've been approached by the SMH/Age newspaper tech section (Australia) to do a story on the Batteriser Dislikes. Should I dare be involved with Fairfax media?
Straw poll....

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1860 on: September 09, 2015, 10:29:10 am »
I've been approached by the SMH/Age newspaper tech section (Australia) to do a story on the Batteriser Dislikes. Should I dare be involved with Fairfax media?
Straw poll....

Yeah man, make the facts public! Make some notes of all of their false claims, and all of the facts which refute those claims, and go hard!

Edit: just noticed that the focus is on the dislikes on your youtube channel. In that case, I still reckon go for it, but stay focussed on the issue of paying for fake downvotes. I guess there's no proving who paid for the downvotes, but you have proof that it happened.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:35:34 am by samgab »

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1861 on: September 09, 2015, 10:31:51 am »
No. You really can;t control what you say and what they will they write. And if they really deliver, there always can be retraction leaving you exposed.

Mass media is a lose-lose situation for an honest guy (in most cases).

Will it be only for the fact of disslike "industry"? If it has to do with batteriser, stay out. Until they ship at least.

Alexander.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:33:46 am by firewalker »

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #1862 on: September 09, 2015, 10:32:11 am »
Straw poll....

i think i would stay out of it, at least until they are shipping them and they can be properly tested or they end up in endless delays and nothing ships

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #1863 on: September 09, 2015, 10:34:54 am »
At least, this new video is much more difficult to attack, apart from the fact that most device won't fail on the fist voltage spike, there is no the crap "you have to take the whole square for remaining capacity" or that poor snail that no one ask if he was happy to be there.

When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1864 on: September 09, 2015, 10:36:31 am »
@Godzil. Did you updated the git of BUTTERUSEr? :P :P :P

Alexander.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #1865 on: September 09, 2015, 10:36:49 am »
i think i would stay out of it, at least until they are shipping them and they can be properly tested or they end up in endless delays and nothing ships

+1  :-+  ... the proof of the pudding is in the eating ...

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #1866 on: September 09, 2015, 10:45:59 am »
Should I dare be involved with Fairfax media?
Straw poll....
Their website is at least not annoying like most are. Looks like a good paper, but then again you live there.
I say throw off the yoke of Big Battery and go for it.
What could they do to you? Drive up your site-YouTube hits?
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1867 on: September 09, 2015, 10:56:38 am »
Straw poll....

Do it! (Was it Ben Grubb? He's a reasonable bloke.) They have quite a voice in Australia and worldwide. Who knows where this could lead you Dave. Look after your own interests. Fairfax are not likely to support (or even appear to support) the likes of Batteroo in the name of transparency and factual editorials. What Batteroo/Batteriser have claimed is nothing more than pure fantasy. Yes, the media like to hype things up from time to time, but they aren't going to put their name to something which can be so easily disproven.

Don't be surprised if it turns into one of these "One Aussie engineer going up against..." stories. It can only make you look good. You have the science, maths and data behind you... Batteroo don't.

EEVblog is more than just some hobby for Dave these days, it's his job and he relies on it. Good publicity will actually benefit him.

No. You really can;t control what you say and what they will they write.

Absolutely you can! I've been involved in many interviews in my line of work and you'll find most reporters are mostly interested in facts. They don't want to be made to look like a fool with incorrect information either! The media aren't this huge devil everyone thinks it is. They can actually work for you if you're open, honest and you didn't fuck up.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 11:17:07 am by Halcyon »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1868 on: September 09, 2015, 11:10:21 am »
Straw poll....

I say "no". I don't see what you could possibly gain from it.

( The "newspaper" looks like a sensationalist rag to me: http://www.theage.com.au/  )

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1869 on: September 09, 2015, 11:11:56 am »

Are you kidding me?! You can't see it? One word... EXPOSURE... and it's unlikely to be negative exposure at that. Do you honestly think the biggest news story of the day is an "insignificant" YouTube channel buying likes? Umm... no.

For the purpose of full disclosure: I actually prefer news.com.au over SMH, but hey, you have to have both sides of "the argument".
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 11:14:32 am by Halcyon »

Offline 6581

• Supporter
« Reply #1870 on: September 09, 2015, 11:15:09 am »
 Vote for no. I think you've already addressed the subject well in your video and there's nothing more to add. It'd turn into something else about "B" and I think you've done wonderful job with your videos, in your own media / arena.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AmmoJammo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1871 on: September 09, 2015, 11:18:07 am »
I vote yes!

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1872 on: September 09, 2015, 11:19:06 am »
Absolutely you can! I've been involved in many interviews in my line of work and you'll find most reporters are mostly interested in facts. They don't want to be made to look like a fool with incorrect information either! The media aren't this huge devil everyone thinks it is. They can actually work for you if you're open, honest and you didn't fuck up.

No, media are not evil. But for technical issues they just don;t get it. If the article doesn't mention batteriser at all, it's ok.

Once I was asked from a local newspaper to comment on an economizer sold in my area, by door to door salesman. Just a single drop resistor an LED and an unconected capacitor. They didn't publish my comment because it was not flexible. I denied to give any chance for the product being true.

Alexander.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1873 on: September 09, 2015, 11:23:02 am »

No, media are not evil. But for technical issues they just don;t get it. If the article doesn't mention batteriser at all, it's ok.

Once I was asked from a local newspaper to comment on an economizer sold in my area, by door to door salesman. Just a single drop resistor an LED and an unconected capacitor. They didn't publish my comment because it was not flexible. I denied to give any chance for the product being true.

Alexander.

I think that's generalising a bit, don't you? You're talking about one small interview in your country. Over here, things are likely to be very different. The media are actually held to account and if they screw up, the eagles from their competitors are waiting to swoop. It's a bit like a court case, make the other guy look bad or discredit them even slightly and you might get off.

From where Dave is sitting, he can only benefit from this. Fairfax will already have read all our comments and posts with fact-checkers doing their homework. They'll walk into the interview armed with knowledge, just as Dave will.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1874 on: September 09, 2015, 11:23:22 am »
Are you kidding me?! You can't see it? One word... EXPOSURE... and it's unlikely to be negative exposure at that. Do you honestly think the biggest news story of the day is an "insignificant" YouTube channel buying likes? Umm... no.
I can tell you've never been interviewed by a newspaper.

(they usually have the story written long before the interview, the only reason you're there is to make it look like your words, not theirs).

Maybe this one is different, I dunno. Is it a Q/A interview or are they asking you to write an article for them?

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 11:25:05 am by Fungus »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf