Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3088868 times)

Offline PeterL

• Regular Contributor
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #2550 on: September 18, 2015, 08:54:46 pm »
The TV remote control reappears on the list. Something that was earlier on mentioned by the company as an item where the product wouldn't give advantage.
Yeah, I'v also read that. But if you look at the igg-story the first example they show is a... remote!

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2551 on: September 18, 2015, 09:11:33 pm »
The TV remote control reappears on the list. Something that was earlier on mentioned by the company as an item where the product wouldn't give advantage.
Yeah, I'v also read that. But if you look at the igg-story the first example they show is a... remote!

Maybe they mean this one :D http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Remote-Massive-Buttons-Satillite/dp/B0011OVNHI

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Stephan_T

• Contributor
« Reply #2552 on: September 18, 2015, 11:23:41 pm »
More reference to authority (people on the payroll), instead of unequivocal demonstration of the product capability.  ::)
The adVenture Capitalists seem to be incompetent:

Source: Bateroo's press agency
[...] Blomgren founded and was Chief Scientist of Imara Corp.
That was 2006.

Source: the same press agency working for Imara Corp.:
Imara is Swahili for strength, power and endurance.

Source: blogs.wsj.com, Dec 9, 2009 :
"Turning Out The Lights: Imara, A Lithium-Ion Battery Maker"

Menlo Park, Calif.-based Imara, which on Tuesday announced its closing in a blog post titled 'A Day that will live in Infamy,'[*] had been seeking $20 million from venture capitalists since April, said Neil Maguire, the company’s business development executive, in an inteview. But Imara’s difficulties in setting up manufacturing and its lack of customer-verified technology spooked potential investors, while existing backers Battery Ventures and Nth Power LLC decided to cut their risk exposure to the company.

[*] Who ever wants to (re)write the cry-baby story of "Imara's Life in Infamy" can purchase the domain "imaracorp.com" (where the wsj blog article links to) for $2395 at hugedomains.com.
Big chance for BIG BATTREY :) :box: >:D

If you want to refer to his authority, you might at least spend pocked change to clean up his past before announcing him as new advisory board member.

I have not looked much into Bob Lilienfeld and what kind of reputation "The ULS Report" has, but he/they have  quite some history of recommending rechargeable batteries, which is a much better solution than the Batteriser nonsense.
Maybe he wants to become the "Matthew Lesko" of greenwashing.

Offline joseph.anand

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2553 on: September 19, 2015, 12:06:59 am »
.... Multiple switchers in series can create interference frequencies, and the switching noise of one batteriser could confuse the control-loop of the other.

I had faced a similar problem. Except that my circuit being powered (an oscillator) was affecting the boost circuit which in turn fed back to my circuit. Had to use an LDO in between the two to fix it.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2554 on: September 19, 2015, 02:11:07 am »
Then there is the issue of the test protocols that are being submitted to test laboratories that bear little resemblance to the actual normal operation region of the device. I fully understand the need for a passive load in an RF chamber. Using a 1K ohm resistor to generate a 2.25 mW load on a device that supposedly works best on a high drain device with a 100-200X load does not make a representative test. It is surprising that someone would submit such a "test" to the FCC as the basis for approval.  I could understand the 2.25 mW load as part of a *series* of tests, but certainly not as the one and only test.
A test with multiple batterisers in series would also be necessary IMO. Almost all devices I know need at least 2 batteries, so that's very normal use-case. Multiple switchers in series can create interference frequencies, and the switching noise of one batteriser could confuse the control-loop of the other. I also think it would be more realistic to connect the resistor with wires of 10cm or so.

While I highly suspect that arbitrarily daisy chaining boost converters in series is going to cause issues, that one is much tougher to test. Daisy chaining four batterisers in series is going to give people efficiency nightmares. Four 90% efficient boost converters will yield a 65% conversion process.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2555 on: September 19, 2015, 02:30:16 am »
This is a self-extinct product, people will be throwing it away together with the depleted batteries either because they forget or because they thought it was a one time use thingy.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #2556 on: September 19, 2015, 03:47:55 am »
If you want to refer to his authority, you might at least spend pocked change to clean up his past before announcing him as new advisory board member.

I have not looked much into Bob Lilienfeld and what kind of reputation "The ULS Report" has, but he/they have  quite some history of recommending rechargeable batteries, which is a much better solution than the Batteriser nonsense.
Maybe he wants to become the "Matthew Lesko" of greenwashing.

These shady business people can hide among real companies and live off VC funding for years, then move on once the business fails. They make enough to live for 5-10 years, then sprout back up again. Look at Stephen Marsh and his team of suits who raised over 1 million on IGG to make the "Airing" CPAP device, which is looking to be a complete scam. His background is not clean either. Same pattern of creating a fuel or energy cell related company with VC cash and then coming up with absolutely nothing.

The VC's just throw money at anything and hope some of it sticks and it becomes huge. They figure they might lose some, but better to fund it. Why not do some due diligence like asking for an independent review to determine if the company actually has any leg to stand on, or are they inventing or trying to sell something impossible?

Some would call it white collar crime, and the amount of money being swindled probably dwarfs the other thefts by more violent criminals. But nobody is forcing VC's and IGG backers from giving them money. They should have done their homework!
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline nitro2k01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2557 on: September 19, 2015, 09:02:30 am »
While I highly suspect that arbitrarily daisy chaining boost converters in series is going to cause issues, that one is much tougher to test. Daisy chaining four batterisers in series is going to give people efficiency nightmares. Four 90% efficient boost converters will yield a 65% conversion process.
I think you misread that. Not 4 of them stacked, but 4 batteries in series, each with a Batteriser. That's going to give you "just" the same loss as in one unit, assuming no additional probldms like interference. It won't automatically give you (.9)^4.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:04:02 am by nitro2k01 »
Whoa! How the hell did Dave know that Bob is my uncle? Amazing!

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2558 on: September 19, 2015, 09:24:32 am »
...Or do they still maintain they cooked up their own converter in a QFN package, without infringing on the existing patents?
You entered an interesting aspect here.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2559 on: September 19, 2015, 05:29:08 pm »
I think you misread that. Not 4 of them stacked, but 4 batteries in series, each with a Batteriser. That's going to give you "just" the same loss as in one unit, assuming no additional probldms like interference. It won't automatically give you (.9)^4.

I henceforth shall forsake interwebbing in the midst of performing bicycle repair.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #2560 on: September 20, 2015, 02:40:19 am »
Come on guys.  It's been hours and no new posts!  Is interest finally fading??

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2561 on: September 20, 2015, 02:41:06 am »

It reached the cut off voltage ;)

Edit: we need a blogeriser to get it going to 20,800 post.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 02:43:49 am by miguelvp »

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2562 on: September 20, 2015, 03:44:23 am »

Nope, I think we're all just waiting for the next episode of the Batteroo Comedy Show. I'm sure those crazy kids are busy thinking up some more funnies for us.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #2563 on: September 20, 2015, 03:53:50 am »
I don't know what the go is with IGG purchases but in certain countries the consumer has rights in regards to warranties and goods failing to work as promoted, I would expect that these products are provided with an invoice or proof of sale should a claim be required.

Additionally if I had the motivation and if this product failed as promoted then a list of those web sites that openly advertised the gadget as being a revolutionary concept would be added to my router as blocked sites, never to be visited again, not even by accident.

Good work by all concerned.... :-+

Muttley

Offline AmmoJammo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2564 on: September 20, 2015, 07:24:01 am »
I found these in some old PC hardware I got...

Made in Australia, haven't leaked, and appear to be dated the 5th week, 1993...

And each cell is still sitting at 0.8volts...

Now, do they work in my led torch?

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2565 on: September 20, 2015, 08:51:03 am »
So 5 days left in the campaign, and looks like they might get say $375K
After fees they'll maybe get $345K and by my count they have sold 120K units (all types)
So they have to produce them and ship them at $2.82 per unit just the break even, not including their half dozen staff and all the money they have spent up until this point.
Good luck.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2566 on: September 20, 2015, 09:02:11 am »
So they have to produce them and ship them at $2.82 per unit just the break even, not including their half dozen staff and all the money they have spent up until this point.
Good luck.
Rubbing in the salt?

Offline Chipguy

• Supporter
« Reply #2567 on: September 20, 2015, 09:16:08 am »
So they have to produce them and ship them at $2.82 per unit just the break even, not including their half dozen staff and all the money they have spent up until this point. Good luck.
The only way that price would work is that they use chinese one hung lo parts, chinese back yard manufacturing and chinese shipping like we see on these DC/DC converters you can get cheap from ebay for example.

I personally think they will never ship large quantities and go bankrupt even blaming it on all the "Battery industry paid hate videos and articles" or something. And I hope that I am wrong.
Where is that smoke coming from?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2568 on: September 20, 2015, 09:20:50 am »
Good luck.
Rubbing in the salt?

Nope, just pointing out a common scenario that many of these crowd funding campaigns find themselves in. Successful, but not successful enough to actually make a profit, so unless they can get money from somewhere else, they will go out of business.
In reality though, Batteriser have a lot of money behind them from a VC company, hence their crazy low crowd funding goal. Their goal is clearly not to make money from this campaign (and that's good for them, because they won't make money), it's just a stepping stone to their grander plan.
Will be interesting to see how long it takes them to deliver.
And of course once they deliver a single unit, the technical world will be able to actually test it and verify it, which I'm sure they are not looking forward to. If they were looking forward to it then they would have already handed them out like candy to all their critics.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2569 on: September 20, 2015, 09:22:45 am »
I personally think they will never ship large quantities and go bankrupt even blaming it on all the "Battery industry paid hate videos and articles" or something. And I hope that I am wrong.

I don't see that happening, they have too much invested in this, and too many big names looking to cash-in. The VC will continue to fund until they deliver and no doubt get that huge retail Walmart type deal they must be lusting after. That's the big game, the indiegogo campaign is chump change.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2570 on: September 20, 2015, 09:43:56 am »
I don't see that happening, they have too much invested in this, and too many big names looking to cash-in. The VC will continue to fund until they deliver and no doubt get that huge retail Walmart type deal they must be lusting after. That's the big game, the indiegogo campaign is chump change.
Yep. If they can get it into Walmart then it'll sell millions no matter how many bad reviews it has on the 'net.

Walmart isn't stupid, they'll test it of course. At the end of the day though they'll only be looking at the profit margin and the percentage of people who are likely to return it.

We know that short term it will appear to work - battery level indicators will jump to 100%, etc. Will that be enough to confuse people and stop them from returning it? The time it all takes to implode and move on to the next big scam will depend a lot on psychology.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 09:50:07 am by Fungus »

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2571 on: September 20, 2015, 09:47:54 am »
When are they going to ship? Around Xmas?

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2572 on: September 20, 2015, 09:49:19 am »
Yep. If they can get it into Walmart then it'll sell millions no matter how many bad reviews it has on the 'net.

They have the former CEO of K-Mart on their team for a reason.

Walmart isn't stupid, they'll test it of course.

They plug it in and it'll "work" of course. They'll look at the UL and FCC reports and tick, approved.

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #2573 on: September 20, 2015, 09:49:41 am »
They said November for the backers
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2574 on: September 20, 2015, 10:01:03 am »
Walmart isn't stupid, they'll test it of course.
They plug it in and it'll "work" of course. They'll look at the UL and FCC reports and tick, approved.
Walmart isn't too proud to sell useless laundry balls and magnetic fung-shui insoles to people, they just don't want any returns.

The insole people probably aren't going to come back and say "I've been wearing them for two weeks and I'm not rich yet".

The Batteriser is actually measurable though. A claim of "8x longer" is easy to see. You'll small a rat as soon as you put them in a flashlight expecting it to come back to life for more than 2 minutes.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf