Author Topic: EEVblog #1248 - INSANE A 0.02% Process Meter for $9? WTF  (Read 117719 times)

Online Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
Re: EEVblog #1248 - INSANE A 0.02% Process Meter for $9? WTF
« Reply #175 on: October 03, 2019, 01:13:17 am »
Dave might want to update the first post here.   Only some of the stores show "GONE", and it sure appears that this party is officially over now.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: October 03, 2019, 01:47:25 am »
. Next big sale will be the November 11th, a crazy shopping festival in China.
Yep, only crazy people would shop for anything from China on that day .
Sorry could not resist  :-DD
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #177 on: October 03, 2019, 01:49:29 am »
I feel like 11/11 is even bigger scam than amazon prime day. Every year I try to see if there are any actual deals, and I'm coming up short.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline magore

• Contributor
« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2019, 04:30:15 pm »
Managed to order one from amazon.ca the day after Daves announcment - intestingly only google found it - an amazon search did not find it. Anyway it has been shipped - should be here in a few days. I will report more when it shows up. It was still at the low cost value about $17 cdn

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2019, 05:18:07 pm »
I feel like 11/11 is even bigger scam than amazon prime day. Every year I try to see if there are any actual deals, and I'm coming up short.
Yeah, if you snapshot prices prior to that, you may find that goods got 50% 'discount' but not actual price decrease.

Offline magore

• Contributor
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2019, 05:48:35 pm »
Yes, i noticed the colour options. - thought that was an funny/odd way off choosing differing products the vender sells , notice the prices when choosing them.... The seller reviews were not great , but why not I thought, not a huge price to make a gamble.
I used fast shipping so by early next week i should have at least something  :scared:, currently has been shipped

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #182 on: October 04, 2019, 12:10:01 am »
:scared: WARNING WILL ROBINSON :scared:
I got the following message from the DHGATE seller yaseri

Code: [Select]
hi friend
hope you are well .
kind reminder the item you ordered is still under producing ,
would you like change to attached new style ?
it's really nice and hot selling , hope you like it .
thanks , we waiting for your feedback .
the following attachments:

edit to add seller name
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 07:02:32 pm by innkeeper »
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: October 04, 2019, 01:40:35 am »
Sent Dhgate a notice with some details asking them to get involved so see what comes back tomorrow.

Have sent message to DHgate customer service.
Stating that seller changed mind after the sale and wants much more money now to ship the product, breach of sales contract.

Not expecting anything more than a refund.

Nothing personal about these sellers, but they need to learn and pay consequences for dishonest behavior.

Not only in China.

A company here in Australia called Kogan sold me a phone, took my money immediately online, issued a receipt, then a day later emailed me stating they changed their mind and would refund my money, unless I wanted to pay more for the phone. It took almost a month to get the money back from Kogan. On an earlier occasion they sold me an Android phone which was not what I ordered. It had a South African Telco's firmware in it that could not be removed, even by rooting the O/S. No refund. They violated Australian consumer law on both occasions. My suggestion is do not buy anything from Kogan, or any company the CEO Ruslan Kogan is involved in such as Dick Smith. Some say you get what you pay for but in Kogan's case you'd be lucky to get that.

I missed out on the meter, but bad luck. I am not upset at all as I was on cruise ship in the middle of the ocean where there was no Internet. It was refreshing being disconnected, and being with 2,600 holiday makers, none of whom had their heads bowed to their mobile phone.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: October 04, 2019, 01:45:49 am »
What is the advice on extending the Aliexpress awaiting shipment processing time? What happens if it runs out and I don't extend?

Offline rjp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #185 on: October 04, 2019, 01:50:24 am »
What is the advice on extending the Aliexpress awaiting shipment processing time? What happens if it runs out and I don't extend?

If it hasnt shipped by their waiting time, I just claim the refund and move on - Aliexpress is good like that.  If they havent shipped within those weeks, Its suspect they ever will.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #186 on: October 04, 2019, 02:02:11 am »
I asked mainly because of the holiday celebration week in China at tha moment. I've already been told 10 days is unusually long for Aliexpress processing time but I didn't know what to expect. I order very occasionally from Aliexpress.

After three days the money has been taken from my Visa so whether that is simply unconnected to delivery and happens automatically I don't know.

At the moment I don't have the same reasons to doubt I'll ever get it that the DHgate people do.

Offline rjp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #187 on: October 04, 2019, 02:07:46 am »
I asked mainly because of the holiday celebration week in China at tha moment. I've already been told 10 days is unusually long for Aliexpress processing time but I didn't know what to expect. I order very occasionally from Aliexpress.

After three days the money has been taken from my Visa so whether that is simply unconnected to delivery and happens automatically I don't know.

At the moment I don't have the same reasons to doubt I'll ever get it that the DHgate people do.

They take the money out to confirm its a legitimate payment but dont give it to the store until the rest of the transaction completes, so normally (in my experience) they are good with refunds because they dont have any skin in the game.

If its only $10 on a one off item, I spose their is not much risk and no harm to wait.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #188 on: October 04, 2019, 02:16:54 am »
Just checked in on my Sept 26 order from “House of Happiness” on AliEx; not shipped.

Given the complication of the holiday til Oct 7, I decided to NOT let them off the hook and extended the processing time 10 days; then messaged them to please contact me ASAP if they cannot fulfill this order and to please note payment for expedited shipping.

We’ll see what happens. :o

mnem
Hopefully I’ll have touched down somewhere by then...

Same store with 2 ordered.

Financially, the paid money is no biggie personally, and it will get returned eventually should they're not honoring the transaction by not shipping it.

But the plan is, I will extend the processing time, but only once.

If they keep doing that not shipping it at the 1st extended time, then I'll let the system fall back and process the refund.

Since there is no transaction (refunded), and I can not give feedback, I hope "others" will do this too, with the consideration if one or two rejected transactions are nothing, but when it comes to so many rejected transactions like us, I guess it will notify Aliexpress to sort of give negative valuation to the shop.

Wish many will do the same.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 02:18:54 am by BravoV »

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #189 on: October 04, 2019, 05:13:39 pm »
could this be a large scale scam?
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #190 on: October 04, 2019, 05:41:27 pm »
Possibly... but much likelier natural and unfettered “law of supply & demand” market correction.

AliEx is the commerce equivalent of a Wild Wild West Show... Lots of noise & occasional burst of gunfire, but usually the only real risk is the money you walked in the gate with.

mnem
Much like my love life... :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #191 on: October 04, 2019, 09:39:59 pm »
could this be a large scale scam?

No, as mentioned already aliexpress uses an escrow system and its not worth the hassle over $10.
Thats not to say some people may get non-functioning/out of cal meters, but they won't be massively misrepresented from the photo.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #192 on: October 05, 2019, 10:25:42 am »
Financially, the paid money is no biggie personally, and it will get returned eventually should they're not honoring the transaction by not shipping it.

But the plan is, I will extend the processing time, but only once.

If they keep doing that not shipping it at the 1st extended time, then I'll let the system fall back and process the refund.

... ... ...

Wish many will do the same.

This is exactly my approach.

I have extended the processing time just now - by another 10 days.  I'll just let it roll for the moment, but I may send a message to the seller in a couple of days to see what sort of reaction I will get - if any.

Offline Wollvieh

• Contributor
« Reply #193 on: October 07, 2019, 12:28:38 am »
Maybe the shop that served Dave recognized who he is just before shipping.

So the vendor wo had a stockpile of miscalibrated qc fails from the dumpster bought an original Aimo for $200, scraped off the brand name, opened it and removed the solder surplus, cut wires and food remains from the inside (all that stuff you normally find in low value equipment like certain airplanes), went to the cal lab for  over-spec calibration, shipped the whole thing an leant back, awaiting the video and incoming orders.  ;D

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #194 on: October 07, 2019, 01:14:41 am »
Must be getting close to ship or pay the penalty time @ dhgate

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #195 on: October 07, 2019, 01:24:03 am »
Maybe the shop that served Dave recognized who he is just before shipping.

I greatly doubt, it's just under my name and PO Box.

Offline blargg

• Contributor
« Reply #196 on: October 07, 2019, 03:09:18 am »
yaseri on dhgate has removed the meter from his stock, even at $120 or whatever. I guess it was inconvenient when he said that he had no stock for it to still be in his listings at a higher price.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #197 on: October 07, 2019, 06:17:52 am »
We still have to see if the various stores ship the meters. The ones I ordered Friday will expire if they are not shipped by Tuesday and I will just get my money refunded instead of receiving a meter.

Has anyone had any of the meters ordered since Dave mentioned them marked as "Shipped" yet?

Mine ordered at 27th still in processing, and will expire in 9days 11hours as I typed now, lets wait & see.  :P

Planned to extend tomorrow as the deadline, but its now shipped ... let see and wait again.  ::)

Still can't track it as it needs few days, this is normal for cheapest shipping option.

As past Aliexpress transactions using this shipping option, they usually arrived within < 20 days.

849982-0
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 06:37:08 am by BravoV »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #198 on: October 07, 2019, 10:01:36 am »
I've already extended.

The order still hasn't been shipped.

I somehow question if I'll get any joy - but I'll not be giving the seller any concessions.

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #199 on: October 07, 2019, 10:53:05 am »
Just had a meter ordered on the 27th marked as sent (My Cozy Life Store).

Looks like they are still posting them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf