Author Topic: Rigol's New DHO800 Oscilloscope unbox & teardown  (Read 279188 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol's New DHO800 Oscilloscope unbox & teardown
« Reply #825 on: September 17, 2023, 04:02:16 pm »
What does it say in here? Is this firmware covered by GPL?  :popcorn:

Offline iMo

• Super Contributor
  • It's important to try new things..
« Reply #826 on: September 17, 2023, 04:08:31 pm »
The coils are rather large inductance, like several uH, imho, thus the low pass will be below 100MHz, my bet..

I corrected my previous post - the inductors are something like 0603 smd on ceramic, so the inductance is much smaller, like 30-70nH.. Hard to say where the low pass ends as we need some estimation on the capacitors as well.
Below an example, how such input ADC filter may work (again, it is just an example, we do not know the exact values).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 05:03:33 pm by iMo »

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #827 on: September 17, 2023, 04:34:36 pm »
If it does we can probably hack this to death without ever opening it up.

Well what might be cool would be if the running android could be rooted (remotely, over network connection). And then install net boot loader / uBoot whatever for this ARM soc that supports iPXE / tftp network LAN booting. Then you could reboot into a network served image (like a liveCD disk, so RO filesystem, loaded into a ramdisk)...

From that point it would then be possible to totally reflash the SD Card without it being mounted or anything. And without opening the device and voiding the warranty sticker. However to get back to factory status would then need to reflash again the bootloader image for the SoC (whether it's uBoot, coreboot or something else more proprietary based android bootloaders, IDK).

It is something to consider for those people wishing to preserve warranty options / restore to factory / resale value on these device.

However another ancilliary benefit might be a capability to instead just boot straight off USB connected disk. Since you are replacing the bootloader anyhow. This would then also be another way not to need to touch the build in SD card whatsoever. And preserve it as a fallback legacy boot option. This sort of approach probably needs more experience hacking about. And to ensure that the bootloader is providing necessary pre-boot hardware functionality 'alive' for the later stages. Not to break necessary hardware support(s).

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #828 on: September 17, 2023, 05:13:17 pm »
Instead of using USB to connect to adb, you can use the network to connect to adb. The port is 55555. eg. adb connect 192.168.10.193:55555

Is it always enabled by default?

If it is? It's a sign that they WANT us to hack this...  :)

Offline analog8484

• Contributor
« Reply #829 on: September 17, 2023, 05:45:05 pm »

Screen has 8 vertical divisions. 

That's too bad.  Really want 10 or more.  Wonder if that could be changed via firmware updates.

Offline akkk44

• Contributor
« Reply #830 on: September 17, 2023, 06:22:45 pm »
The good news is that I used the first batch of DHO804 img image packages to write to the TF card and successfully started the machine. Although there is an offset, it disappears after calibration. Then I replaced vendor.bin with 924 successfully. And there is no offset, even when calibrating again.

Could you please post the image somewhere? Is there a way to write the TF card without taking the scope apart? Thanks a lot.

I haven't found anything that can be done without removing the TF card. But for fragile stickers, you can use an air gun to heat them at 100 degrees. Use a knife to remove without damage.

Thank you, would you be so kind to share the TF image file of the first batch 804?

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #831 on: September 17, 2023, 06:28:54 pm »
Instead of using USB to connect to adb, you can use the network to connect to adb. The port is 55555. eg. adb connect 192.168.10.193:55555

In Rigol's android scopes ADB was always active.
In startup script start_rigol_app.sh the command that should stop ADB service  (stop adbd) was comented. It is here but they do not want to stop that service. Reasons can be multiple.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Fungus, zrq

Offline pmaster

« Reply #832 on: September 17, 2023, 08:40:18 pm »
What does it say in here? Is this firmware covered by GPL?
U-Boot bootloader is covered by GPL as well as the Linux/Android Kernel.
Most of the Android user space applications and services are covered by Apache license.

The following users thanked this post: mwb1100

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #833 on: September 18, 2023, 01:02:04 am »
Thank you,hubert.
My DHO804 is DHO924 now.
Two extra drams are only for LA.It can be unpopulate if doesn't use the LA .
The bandwidth is increased successfully.it has 800ps rise time now.
And the memory depth is 50M now.

What the heck is the "LA"? Linear Actuator? Lightening Arrestor? Log Analyzer? Line Adapter?

Offline hubertyoung

• Contributor
« Reply #834 on: September 18, 2023, 01:20:46 am »

hahaļ¼Œjust do it

Offline hubertyoung

• Contributor
« Reply #835 on: September 18, 2023, 01:23:14 am »
The good news is that I used the first batch of DHO804 img image packages to write to the TF card and successfully started the machine. Although there is an offset, it disappears after calibration. Then I replaced vendor.bin with 924 successfully. And there is no offset, even when calibrating again.

Could you please post the image somewhere? Is there a way to write the TF card without taking the scope apart? Thanks a lot.

I haven't found anything that can be done without removing the TF card. But for fragile stickers, you can use an air gun to heat them at 100 degrees. Use a knife to remove without damage.

Thank you, would you be so kind to share the TF image file of the first batch 804?

Unfortunately, I don't know how to upload a 32G img file to share with you. If you know how to do it please tell me

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #836 on: September 18, 2023, 01:50:08 am »
Unfortunately, I don't know how to upload a 32G img file to share with you. If you know how to do it please tell me

hmm. perhaps see if it can compress anything firstly. then we are with the issue of where to upload, which is perhaps requiring some new cloud account signup...

idk what you can signup in china. but mega (20gb) or degoo (20gb), or google drive (sign up new gmail account, get 15gbs on it).

or you can use sendgb (5gb) without such account signup. to then split a compressed archive into smaller than 5gbs chunks. for example 4gb chunks.

Offline rpro

• Contributor
« Reply #837 on: September 18, 2023, 02:35:52 am »
Dave was able to zip his image to 650MB, and up-loaded it to the files area.  And it seems Fungus was able to compress it to 466MB with 7zip.

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #838 on: September 18, 2023, 03:16:33 am »
Thank you,hubert.
My DHO804 is DHO924 now.
Two extra drams are only for LA.It can be unpopulate if doesn't use the LA .
The bandwidth is increased successfully.it has 800ps rise time now.
And the memory depth is 50M now.

What the heck is the "LA"? Linear Actuator? Lightening Arrestor? Log Analyzer? Line Adapter?

Logic analyzer

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #839 on: September 18, 2023, 05:11:58 am »
Dave was able to zip his image to 650MB, and up-loaded it to the files area.  And it seems Fungus was able to compress it to 466MB with 7zip.

Yes, you won't be able to compress more than this, and the forum can't host files this big. I use my own server to share mine, but you'll have to find another site to host it.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #840 on: September 18, 2023, 05:13:56 am »
Screen has 8 vertical divisions. 
That's too bad.  Really want 10 or more.  Wonder if that could be changed via firmware updates.

I doubt they'll ever do that given the small screen.
But even the bigger DHO4000 still only has 8, so it's common scross all their new scopes.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #841 on: September 18, 2023, 05:17:57 am »

Woah, you can change the HDMI resolution. The DHO4000 can't do that, so I went to try and update the firmware for it and the DHO4000 (or DHO1000) firmware isn't even available?  :-//
https://www.rigolna.com/firmware/

EDIT: Just checked my DHO800 and it doesn't have a HDMI resolution option  :-// (not the DSP option above that)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 05:19:29 am by EEVblog »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #842 on: September 18, 2023, 05:28:20 am »
You can read the CPU chip temp in the hardware test menu, great for hacking the fan  ;D
Seems to update every few seconds.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Fungus, Martin72, Nikki Smith

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #843 on: September 18, 2023, 05:45:27 am »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Octane, ch_scr, duckduck, Nikki Smith

Offline Luc7777

« Reply #844 on: September 18, 2023, 06:23:36 am »
Hi David,

If you touch 3 times the "About" text in the "Utiliy" menu then you will have the option to change the HDMI resolution in the "Other" menu.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, duckduck

Offline hubertyoung

• Contributor
« Reply #845 on: September 18, 2023, 06:38:10 am »

hmm. perhaps see if it can compress anything firstly. then we are with the issue of where to upload, which is perhaps requiring some new cloud account signup...

idk what you can signup in china. but mega (20gb) or degoo (20gb), or google drive (sign up new gmail account, get 15gbs on it).

or you can use sendgb (5gb) without such account signup. to then split a compressed archive into smaller than 5gbs chunks. for example 4gb chunks.

Ok, I tried compressing the img file to 7z. Which cloud storage I choose depends on the final product generated. Of course I will do the above things when I have time.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 05:27:03 pm by hubertyoung »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #846 on: September 18, 2023, 06:48:28 am »
If you touch 3 times the "About" text in the "Utiliy" menu then you will have the option to change the HDMI resolution in the "Other" menu.

I see the options briefly for a split second but I can't get it to stay up  :-//

Offline Luc7777

« Reply #847 on: September 18, 2023, 07:14:56 am »
Sorry, I forgot to mention that my DHO804 is now DHO924 (kind of...), maybe that's the reason :-DD

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #848 on: September 18, 2023, 09:02:07 am »
Sorry, I forgot to mention that my DHO804 is now DHO924 (kind of...), maybe that's the reason :-DD

This mode (TestMode) is available in all Android models, even for DHO series.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #849 on: September 18, 2023, 10:28:36 am »
This mode (TestMode) is available in all Android models, even for DHO series.

Same thing happens on the DHO4000, menu optionsjust flash up for a fraction of a second.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf