Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3804765 times)

Offline Matthieu

Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #6200 on: December 22, 2014, 12:39:17 pm »
Hello

Yesterday i will test for upgrade my flir E4 2.3 to E8 but when i used set_permantly-RNDIS.fif (find in e4hack3c in this tread) i can't connect me to my E4 with 192.168.0.2 and i can't remove RNDIS because he is not connect ....
I think i forget to make something but i don't know what.

I need your help
Thanks

Did you install drivers from support.flir.com? In your device manager Flir should be listed as a network adapter while it is in RNDIS mode.

Yes i have installed flir tools and flir device driver and when i go to FlirinstallNet I can see my Cam with an adresse but i can't connect in

Offline Isaac-1

• Contributor
« Reply #6201 on: December 22, 2014, 02:19:36 pm »
Which version of Windows are you using?

Offline Matthieu

« Reply #6202 on: December 22, 2014, 03:19:30 pm »
I use W8

Offline leoibb

• Contributor
« Reply #6203 on: December 22, 2014, 03:53:14 pm »
Got the upgrade done thanks although I'm not sure why apart from one person

Offline yf025

• Contributor
« Reply #6204 on: December 22, 2014, 03:57:34 pm »
Hello

Yesterday i will test for upgrade my flir E4 2.3 to E8 but when i used set_permantly-RNDIS.fif (find in e4hack3c in this tread) i can't connect me to my E4 with 192.168.0.2 and i can't remove RNDIS because he is not connect ....
I think i forget to make something but i don't know what.

I need your help
Thanks
All you need is to disable and then enable the "flir usb video" in device manager , then timeout notice will be fixed

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6205 on: December 22, 2014, 04:30:09 pm »
Did you already try to change the menu with '<ToolBar name="scale_scale_manual"/>' in the file 'toolbar-config.xml' to make a change button on the camera scaleMenu in stead of toggling from unlock tot lock in scaleMenu for manual setting of temperature? Or can't the menu not be changed so easily as I say or think?
In the flir updatepack 2.3.0 are more ToolBar names for the file toolbar-config.xml. Can they easily put into the camera or is this dangerous for bricking the camera? I think you did maybe already try this?
Fre
I have bit different files in my camera, there are more menu stuff and more commands.
Then I can see what becomes visible when I change or hack something. I release only stuff what working
correctly and there no others test lines in files. That _manual" have no affect so far but I add first zoom
what is actually digital zoom and in 8x mode show you 40x30 image. Before I played with reso I saw
this is its minimum thermal resolution.

Offline Isaac-1

• Contributor
« Reply #6206 on: December 22, 2014, 05:16:18 pm »
I use W8

Several people have reported similar problems using Windows 8, if possible try again using Windows 7

Offline Matthieu

« Reply #6207 on: December 22, 2014, 05:25:20 pm »

All you need is to disable and then enable the "flir usb video" in device manager , then timeout notice will be fixed

Where can i make that? can you explain me?

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6208 on: December 22, 2014, 08:45:19 pm »
I need help. I don't know yet anything about files I am using. These are from first 2.3.0Menu_Upgrade.zip
They are smaller than inside ADDMENU-BETA3. Who made them or who can make them? I can't use
ADDMENU-BETA3, in 2.3.0 camera picture is black. But something I can't do here. That manual temp
scale is fighting back. And there is black holes in conf.cfc files. What might be after
.caps.config.image.zoom.maxFactor double 8 to the # IDXXXXXX? Somehow PIP too is not cooperative
with me... Or something is blocked in UI/conf.cfc whose contents I have no clue... yet
All other stuff might be done in near future.

Offline Emoticon

• Contributor
« Reply #6209 on: December 22, 2014, 09:57:02 pm »
Did you already try to change the menu with '<ToolBar name="scale_scale_manual"/>' in the file 'toolbar-config.xml' to make a change button on the camera scaleMenu in stead of toggling from unlock tot lock in scaleMenu for manual setting of temperature? Or can't the menu not be changed so easily as I say or think?
In the flir updatepack 2.3.0 are more ToolBar names for the file toolbar-config.xml. Can they easily put into the camera or is this dangerous for bricking the camera? I think you did maybe already try this?
Fre
I have bit different files in my camera, there are more menu stuff and more commands.
Then I can see what becomes visible when I change or hack something. I release only stuff what working
correctly and there no others test lines in files. That _manual" have no affect so far but I add first zoom
what is actually digital zoom and in 8x mode show you 40x30 image. Before I played with reso I saw
this is its minimum thermal resolution.

Are you just guessing at what commands might work and what lines to add or do you have something to compare against like a dump of an actual e8 file and trying to copy them over and see if they work?

Offline heavybarrel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6210 on: December 22, 2014, 11:09:02 pm »
I need help. I don't know yet anything about files I am using. These are from first 2.3.0Menu_Upgrade.zip
They are smaller than inside ADDMENU-BETA3. Who made them or who can make them? I can't use
ADDMENU-BETA3, in 2.3.0 camera picture is black. But something I can't do here. That manual temp
scale is fighting back. And there is black holes in conf.cfc files. What might be after
.caps.config.image.zoom.maxFactor double 8 to the # IDXXXXXX? Somehow PIP too is not cooperative
with me... Or something is blocked in UI/conf.cfc whose contents I have no clue... yet
All other stuff might be done in near future.

I believe Taucher was the guy who did the magic on the first menu patch. Haven't seen too many posts from him
as of late, hope he is still out there!! Nice work BTW Janekivi!!

Offline Justanotherguy

« Reply #6211 on: December 23, 2014, 12:25:47 am »
 :box:Recent Zoro purchase arrived. 2.3.0  :(.

Not a big deal. Performed the upgrade on a win xp machine.  Picture much better, Flir Tools reports full resolution. Thank you to everyone who contributed to that, and thank you to Flir for making this camera. Oh, I don't want to open debate about Flir downgrading units to make a range, but that noise generator is shocking. I can imagine Flir salesmen telling big lies to prospective customers "oh, look how much better picture is on E8". I don't feel so bad about upgrading my E4 resolution.

I also uploaded 2.3.0_Menu_5.  It took a while to copy over, and I now note the "Special Editon" in place of the 2.3.0 revision on the boot up splash screen. The extra colour palettes are great. I am pleased.

Question: How do I revert camera to full original out of box condition? I assume I run 2.3.0 Fimware update as released by Flir. It would be good to be able to fully factory reset camera if I ever need to.

I tried running the 2.3.0_Menu_Restore (included with the Menu_5 zip), but it doesn't make any difference. I also note the camera fails to connect. I am only using RNDIS_temporary.

I don't want to break anything, so I have stopped fiddling with it for now. (Waiting for my lens to come from China for some close up PCB work and general electronics - what I want to use the camera for.)

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6212 on: December 23, 2014, 06:43:48 am »
Are you just guessing at what commands might work and what lines to add or do you have something to compare against like a dump of an actual e8 file and trying to copy them over and see if they work?
Not exactly, I have stuff from ADDMENU-BETA3 but conf.cfc contents I guessing and calculating by notepad and calculator. There I lost my track after zoom lines... I can't change anything before I knew what I changing.

Offline Northdynamic

« Reply #6213 on: December 23, 2014, 01:42:08 pm »
:box:Recent Zoro purchase arrived. 2.3.0  :(.

Not a big deal. Performed the upgrade on a win xp machine.  Picture much better, Flir Tools reports full resolution. Thank you to everyone who contributed to that, and thank you to Flir for making this camera. Oh, I don't want to open debate about Flir downgrading units to make a range, but that noise generator is shocking. I can imagine Flir salesmen telling big lies to prospective customers "oh, look how much better picture is on E8". I don't feel so bad about upgrading my E4 resolution.

I also uploaded 2.3.0_Menu_5.  It took a while to copy over, and I now note the "Special Editon" in place of the 2.3.0 revision on the boot up splash screen. The extra colour palettes are great. I am pleased.

Question: How do I revert camera to full original out of box condition? I assume I run 2.3.0 Fimware update as released by Flir. It would be good to be able to fully factory reset camera if I ever need to.

I tried running the 2.3.0_Menu_Restore (included with the Menu_5 zip), but it doesn't make any difference. I also note the camera fails to connect. I am only using RNDIS_temporary.

I don't want to break anything, so I have stopped fiddling with it for now. (Waiting for my lens to come from China for some close up PCB work and general electronics - what I want to use the camera for.)

See Reply #5783 Here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg544085/#msg544085

It's a good idea "for all 2.3 owners, I think" to grab the firmware before it is updated so you can revert to the original 2.3.0 firmware incase the camera fails to boot. I've already had to do this once.

Make sure you are not in RNDIS mode and apply the firmware with FLIRInstallNet.exe

It takes a while so do not unplug or interrupt the process until completed. Also make sure you have the drivers installed, they can be found on page 1 of this thread.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 01:47:28 pm by Northdynamic »

Offline Justanotherguy

« Reply #6214 on: December 23, 2014, 02:50:02 pm »

It's a good idea "for all 2.3 owners, I think" to grab the firmware before it is updated so you can revert to the original 2.3.0 firmware incase the camera fails to boot. I've already had to do this once.

Make sure you are not in RNDIS mode and apply the firmware with FLIRInstallNet.exe

It takes a while so do not unplug or interrupt the process until completed. Also make sure you have the drivers installed, they can be found on page 1 of this thread.

:-[   I did not think to take copy of firmware.  My only option I think is to do a "software upate" ( if it lets me) in Flir tools. I am not planning on reverting anytime soon, but it would be good to know.

My lens from china turned up, and also my lens holder I found on thingverse  http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:407201  and had printed locally.  I also did a comparison with our existing Fluke Ti10. This is not scientific test or attempt to make comparison, just the best we had before and the reality of what we can do now with the Flir E4.  Enjoy:

Before and after. This is picture of laptop power supply. You can see before picture was soon after turning on laptop.  After upgrade, power supply was much hotter. Note, this is a cheap poor quality power supply purchased for like $10 on ebay (delivered from china!) for my old laptop. It is very dangerous as it gets very hot >80degrees C. I also had to add extra insulation inside. Beware buying "cheap". I never leave adaptor unattended.

Noise generator makes me very angry.  :rant:

Upgrade makes me happy.  :box: 

Upgraded Flir compared to Fluke ( remember not fair comparison as stated above, I dont want to get into discussion. )

3D high Res ABS printed holder (100% fill). Found on Thingverse. I searched for Flir E4.  Nice solution, but not sure it is the best ( we like it though ).

Lens in Camera.

First samle image. 20mm dia, 50mm focus as recommended by mikeselectricstuff. Lens purchased on eBay.
0805 resistor in top left running at about 30 degrees C.  I think we will get better with more practice, and maybe better lens placement, but this is now useful tool for us.

Note: Image meta data removed/replaced/edited and images grabbed with screen tool. Do not trust image dimensions or metadata. (not paranoid, just careful)

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 03:03:42 pm by Justanotherguy »

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6215 on: December 23, 2014, 03:42:25 pm »
I am missing some thing from restore but anyway this and so firmware update do not delete added stuff fom camera.
My restore was generally only for situation when something goes wrong and camera does not booting. Then you
can revert some things without ftp by FLIRInstallNet.exe
If you need restore with cleanup I make something for next but now I like to make to you zoom for xmas. Only
some testers needed before.
And don't forget we all have something else to do for work and something else is important too, this is only hobby here.
That was my thought before...

Offline nkw

• Contributor
« Reply #6216 on: December 23, 2014, 06:26:09 pm »
Just to add another data point, I ordered from Zoro when the second 25% coupon code was posted. Shipped from Spartanburg, SC and arrived yesterday. Inside was an early Christmas present of 1.22 software with an April 2014 calibration date. I was eventually able to configure the camera with TiConfig (thanks marphy!). The hardest part was finding a working XP installation to get Flir's own drivers working. I was not able to to get them working in either Windows 8 or 10, they would install and recognize the camera then I would get the "ThermaCAM connecting to 192.xxxx" type message, but it would not connect to the camera, nor was the IP address ping-able. Finally got the drivers working in a Windows XP Pro virtual machine running under vmware.

While waiting for the cam to arrive I watched mikeselectricstuff's youtube teardown videos all the way through -- both were really really great.

As for Flir -- I am definitely in the category that would not have purchased one of these had the hack^h^h^h^h customer installed upgrade not been available. I can't blame them for using the same hardware and differentiating the models with software limits on resolution, but the noise generator? Really? That seems a bit much.

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6217 on: December 23, 2014, 07:38:01 pm »
Please do not afraid me or E4 with 2.3.0 2.1L
I only said world is round thing and you can't make profit with free tool.
You got something, you must give something. And read before writing.
But I am nobody here, just newbie and hobbyist like most of us.
And 2.3.0 firmware from factory - this is more hack'able than previous
models as you can see here. My first hack's based on new features of
this software. And if you think logically - all other features are there.
Most of them I seen already after I switched from calculator to pc.
Notepad I continue to use.

Offline -jeffB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6218 on: December 23, 2014, 07:58:02 pm »
Just to add another data point, I ordered from Zoro when the second 25% coupon code was posted. Shipped from Spartanburg, SC and arrived yesterday. Inside was an early Christmas present of 1.22 software with an April 2014 calibration date. I was eventually able to configure the camera with TiConfig (thanks marphy!). The hardest part was finding a working XP installation to get Flir's own drivers working. I was not able to to get them working in either Windows 8 or 10, they would install and recognize the camera then I would get the "ThermaCAM connecting to 192.xxxx" type message, but it would not connect to the camera, nor was the IP address ping-able. Finally got the drivers working in a Windows XP Pro virtual machine running under vmware.

This compares closely to my experience. Same order timeframe, mine shipped from Greensboro NC, same 1.22 software.

I set out to do the FTP-based update from a Win 8 machine, and couldn't connect to the camera. This may have been because I didn't disable all my other network interfaces. I tried again on a Win7 machine, this time with TiConfig. After a couple of false starts, once I installed the RNDIS driver and disabled my other network adapters, the upgrade went smoothly. Uploaded the E8 config, uploaded the menu package, unplugged the camera, removed and replaced battery, powered camera back up. Even while it was initializing, the flat-field image on the display was obviously far cleaner than before, thanks to the added-noise reduction.

So, the steps that worked:

1) Download and install TiConfig (http://bit.ly/1hycWlB).
2) Download and install RNDIS drivers, using the link helpfully offered from within TiConfig.
3) Disable both wireless and wired network adapters in Windows.
4) Run TiConfig again.
5) Plug in camera.
6) Follow instructions from TiConfig's page (http://marcowuen.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/ticonfig-thermal-imager-configuration-tool/).

Some may need to install .Net 3.5 as a separate step; I already had a more recent .Net version, so I didn't need to do this.

Offline nkw

• Contributor
« Reply #6219 on: December 23, 2014, 08:24:16 pm »
I set out to do the FTP-based update from a Win 8 machine, and couldn't connect to the camera. This may have been because I didn't disable all my other network interfaces. I tried again on a Win7 machine, this time with TiConfig.
For what it is worth, even with disabling all other network interfaces in both Windows 8 (on two machines) and 10, I was not able to connect in any way to the camera IP. This software would configure the RDNIS Flir network interface with an IP, and then say it was trying to connect to the camera (at the interface IP + 1), but then fail. The IP address the software indicated for the camera was not ping-able either. I tried setting (and not setting) the "Network Address" in the driver settings, but it made no difference.

While trying to figure out the issue, I ran across http://flir.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/987/~/usb-connection-problem-with-flir-ex-series-cameras, which discusses a USB connection issue between Windows and the Flir EX series. However the note seems to state it is an issue that effects firmware version 2.1.0 and Windows 7 and XP, but not Windows 8 (even though the note has a specific install procedure for Windows 8 ). Also reading the PDF it seemed to be pretty goofy in that these "flirusb.inf" files had to be installed on a per USB port basis and appeared to deal with the Video/Imaging device side of things. I didn't try installing these files in Windows 8, and decided to just use XP for the install.

Offline JerryTN

« Reply #6220 on: December 23, 2014, 10:15:37 pm »
Well it does appear that's it's just a matter of chance as to which software version one will receive when ordering the E4. It may be 1.22 or 2.3 for the moment. Thanks to all the support being provided as it has allow about every feature available to all versions of software so as not to matter as much on which version one gets.   

Offline michaeliv

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6221 on: December 24, 2014, 02:37:19 am »
How did you guys find out / what's the best way to be notified about Zoro promotions, the 25%-30% off ones ? Do they send out e-mails if you're subscribed ?
Thanks!

Offline JerryTN

« Reply #6222 on: December 24, 2014, 05:02:42 am »
Promotional emails and by doing a Google search for Zoro coupons or promotional codes.  Usually they will show up that way if one is available.   

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6223 on: December 24, 2014, 10:21:05 am »
Some encouraging words for all of you.
What was on first day here and what I know now... I got camera and... same day, first thing was black
screen. But first words came with no tears... I seen this stuff first time and that RC4 crypt too. I can do
only simple things and all other stuff I break before to simple things. You can laugh there and I laugh
too, all that time I studied with that crypt analysis - there wasn't any crypt left any more. Breaking
that 160 bit key take all of earth computers millions of years. But what key - I can edit it with notepad
like all other stuff in camera after few bits changed in dll. Honestly, I found only open window to sneak
in with new menu files. All other stuff was here before, I done what I do best: copy-paste : )))
with notepad of course : )))
Find your own best ability and harness it where is possible to do something... useful.
Money is only paper with numbers

Offline lwi004

• Contributor
« Reply #6224 on: December 24, 2014, 12:40:48 pm »
Congratulations Janekivi.

Amazing what have achieved....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf