Author Topic: List your test equipment "scores" here!  (Read 791376 times)

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
Re: List your test equipment "scores" here!
« Reply #1400 on: April 11, 2017, 06:28:54 am »
A couple of months ago, from the government surplus depot, I got a Rubbermaid hospital computer cart and a Data Precision 134 multimeter for $20 each. Pictures will have to wait until I can get them out again.

The other day, at the local ham radio flea market, I got: Heathkit capacitor open/short checker with magic eye tube ($25), old military aircraft radar antenna-pointing gyroscope from late 1950s or early 1960s ($5), 121 One Transistor Projects (1970) by Rufus P. Turner ($1). The gyroscope runs on 28 V, 400 Hz, 3-phase; I am considering using a reprogrammed commodity brushless motor ESC to generate that—I don't think the square waves would be bad for the motors given that they're fine for modern motors.

Edit: I think I'm going to join bogdan2014's thread on generating 400 Hz power for old aircraft gyroscopes.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 08:41:03 am by PointyOintment »
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1401 on: April 13, 2017, 02:01:08 am »
Ahh.. good old TAB books.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1402 on: April 13, 2017, 07:40:59 pm »
Today I've ordered a Micsig TO1104 tablet scope. Stay tuned  8)
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1403 on: April 13, 2017, 07:49:55 pm »
This should be interesting...
Sue AF6LJ

Offline guido

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1404 on: April 13, 2017, 10:06:58 pm »
Tek P6015A HV probe. Looks like it is NOS, think the only "use" was the yearly calibration (ex. US army). Complete with case and manual.
I was the only bidder in an auction: 56 euro's. Think it counts as a score  8)

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1405 on: April 14, 2017, 05:06:14 am »

We bought one at work not that long ago and it is pretty impressive. Not the most responsive scope in the world, but works well. Also first scope i seen that not only has a very fast updating browser UI but it also does it over WiFi.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1406 on: April 14, 2017, 08:55:06 am »

Ooo, be careful... you might end up with a nasty GAS collection!

I regret that mine spends its life under the bench, ready charged for those special moments, but each time I've brought it out thinking it'd be great for a particular job, I lose patience with it and go back to using a conventional bench scope. The same applies to the two other handheld scopes I have sitting under the same bench. I am sure a lot of this is just my Luttite ways, and I should invest more time in it. Once the promised serial decoder is released maybe I will.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1407 on: April 15, 2017, 10:04:28 pm »
Ooo, be careful... you might end up with a nasty GAS collection!
I get rid of equipment I don't need so there is also an outbound stream of test equipment. But yes I'll will get into trouble. Today a big box arrived and my wife was eagerly watching when I opened it to see what I had ordered this time. Look honey, it is laundry detergent!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #1408 on: April 15, 2017, 11:07:52 pm »
I expect the greatest benefit will be having frequently used equipment located at hand in one place rather than having to search through various lockers, cabinets and drawers which is starting to become a real chore.
I just get rid of equipment I no longer use. I mean: how much equipment do you really need?

Blasphemy!!!  Should be banned!

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1409 on: April 16, 2017, 07:53:06 pm »
So I decided to finally get a plain old VOM (e.g. 20000 ohms/volt) at least for the sake of completeness, and because I like old things.  So I bought a Simpson 255.  We'll see if it is working as good as claimed when it shows up, but it went for far less money than the more widely-known 260 seems to go for, and I can live without the 10 amp range.

Offline xwarpTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1410 on: April 16, 2017, 10:09:54 pm »
I got lucky and found someone who had an extra HP 333A distortion analyzer that I got for less than 60 bucks shipped.

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1411 on: April 16, 2017, 11:24:02 pm »
I got lucky and found someone who had an extra HP 333A distortion analyzer that I got for less than 60 bucks shipped.
That's a good deal :)
Sue AF6LJ

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1412 on: April 17, 2017, 06:29:04 am »
I expect the greatest benefit will be having frequently used equipment located at hand in one place rather than having to search through various lockers, cabinets and drawers which is starting to become a real chore.
I just get rid of equipment I no longer use. I mean: how much equipment do you really need?

Blasphemy!!!  Should be banned!

I'm glad people get rid of equipment, where else would I get it? Personally I think it's kind of pointless to hoard stuff just for the sake of having it, I try not to keep too much stuff that is redundant or completely unneeded.

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1413 on: April 17, 2017, 07:15:14 am »
I got a really good deal (again) on a Keysight branded 34410A DMM that is broken and needs repair.
Similar to the picture, for those of you who don't know this instrument
May be I am lucky and it is still covered by warranty, will see when it arrives.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1414 on: April 17, 2017, 09:00:23 am »
That fan always annoyed me to madness. Thats the reason I always refused 34410A in my work and we have lot of them.
I bought 34401A instead.

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1415 on: April 17, 2017, 09:09:55 am »
That fan always annoyed me to madness. Thats the reason I always refused 34410A in my work and we have lot of them.
I bought 34401A instead.
Oh, that is easily solved.
1. Install a new fan
2. Add a resistor in line to have about 50% speed reduction of the fan.
This makes the instrument very quiet and really has no influence on the stability and accuracy of the DMM.
I have done this on a few of these meters already and it works like a charm.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1416 on: April 17, 2017, 11:36:17 am »
I just got one of the GW Instek GDM-8251 multimeters on EBAY and while Googling around I stumbled across the scanner input module (GDM-SC1)for it on sale at the Swedish Distrelec branch (ELFA) so picked one of those up for ~$85 including shipping (seems to retail for $290).

Offline JXL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1417 on: April 17, 2017, 07:42:37 pm »
I just got one of the GW Instek GDM-8251 multimeters on EBAY and while Googling around I stumbled across the scanner input module (GDM-SC1)for it on sale at the Swedish Distrelec branch (ELFA) so picked one of those up for ~$85 including shipping (seems to retail for $290).

My GDM-8251 does not have a slot for the scanner.  The manual indicates it's for GDM-8255A meters.  Hope you can cancel the order.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1418 on: April 17, 2017, 08:54:28 pm »
Or find a GDM-8255A, never hurts to have a spare meter.

Offline Jester

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1419 on: April 17, 2017, 11:41:27 pm »
I added a 8251A to my collection of bench DMM's and I quite like it. Good alternate to the 34401A's I use. I particularly like:
 + 10A current range
 + 100mA current range
 + Large and quite good display

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1420 on: April 18, 2017, 05:30:50 am »
My GDM-8251 does not have a slot for the scanner.
Crap, here I was thinking I got a good deal - I totally missed that when browsing the manual.  :palm:  While it does say it's for the 8255 in one or two places, other places indicates it's for both.
No such thing as a free lunch, I guess.

Thanks for the heads up, it'll help tone down the frustration once it arrives  |O

Offline Enigma-man

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1421 on: April 18, 2017, 03:21:41 pm »
Here is an equipment score I thought might be worthy of posting...

After a family member sent me some pix of three power supplies laying around in his garage (unknown to me for at least ten years), I was
ready to give him one upside the head...
One power supply was an HP6627A and the other two were older HP 6282A 0-10V @ 20 Amp boat anchors !!
I was more interested in the 6627A
"Do you have any use for these ???", he asked.  What do you think my answer was ?
I took all three.  One of the older 6282's was damaged with a broken meter holder and busted neon lamp indicator along with a  fair amount
of cosmetic issues. It was a "working spare" according to the label and will remain as that way.
Anyway, the three were covered in dust.  The HP6627A did not see much use when the facility it was in closed up shop.  It is in near
pristene condition except for some minor scratches on the cover.  The faceplate is immaculate.  It works great and I am currently in
the process of making a GPIB to PC parallel port interface to control the 6627A with a Visual Basic program.
For those unfamiliar with the 6627A, it has four 40W outputs.  Low range is 0-20V @ 2Amps while the high range is 0-50V @.8 Amps
Just about good enough for any experimenting and protyping.  This family of power supplies was intended to be used in a production
environment, sending back data to a computer via the GPIB bus.   While not intended to be a laboratory power supply, it could be used
as such by punching in voltage and current from the keypad.  No big deal.
The 6627A didn't need more than an hour of cleaning.  Mostly grime and label removal as well as internal cleaning of dust.
The only mod I made was to the AC fan.  It was waaaaaaaaaaaay too loud.  In a large building space one probably wouldn't even
notice, but on a bench in a fairly quiet environment... you get the picture.  I substituted the original AC fan with a lower volume one which
still moves air but is more tolerable on the ears and nerves.  I don't intend to run it at full load capacity so internal heating should not be a
problem.   I think there was a thread here at this forum which dealt with an HP power supply from the same family and a concern was the
hybrid power module.  I looked at the module and the parts should be easy to obtain if it needs repair.  If the module was encapsulated
it would be an issue, but none of them are encapsulated.  Here are some pix of my recent score.
The price was "pick 'em up and take 'em off my hands."  On eBay the 6627A's are available for a wide range of asking prices.  Even a
unit at a low price will cost you big time.  It's a heavy piece of equipment and subject to ridiculous shipping charges if you had to have
it shipped from overseas.  Also, bad packing techniques could result in damage that wasn't there to begin with.  Risky, to say the least.
This is a precision piece of equipment.  One probably wouldn't want or need another power supply.
Pictures one shows the unit with cover on.
Pic three is the huge power transformer
Pic four shows two power supply boards attached to the hinged cover.  It's easy to remove the output boards.
Pic five shows the hybrid module which should be fairly easy to repair if need be.
Pic six shows the substitute fan I installed in place of the annoying original one...

Well, that's it.  I didn't show the boat anchor 6282, but I might if asked.  Thanks for looking and commenting if you do.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 04:29:30 pm by Enigma-man »

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1422 on: April 18, 2017, 03:36:29 pm »
Nice catch Enigma-Man.  :-+ :-+
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Enigma-man

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1423 on: April 18, 2017, 04:52:07 pm »
I was planning on homebrewing a few CV/CC power supplies, but after acquiring the 6627A,  it makes no sense to make a pc board, drill it, populate it with
components, troubleshhoot it and work on a  cabinet and face plate.  :-\
Besides, it would never be anywhere near the precision and accuracy of 6627A.
Either I am getting lazier as I age or just getting practical.  Maybe a bit of both, I think.
However, I do have some LDO low noise regulators that I could see in some sort of cabinet on the bench.  Today's technology is beyond
simple 7805 and LM317 regulators for reliable results especially with 16 bit and higher A/D and D/A experimenting.
The old standby's are too noisy.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1424 on: April 18, 2017, 06:06:49 pm »
It's a combination of things I think. Life is a finite resource, I like to build things but even if I could live to be 150 I'll never have time to build all the projects I want to build so sometimes I just buy something and focus my building efforts on something I can't just go out and buy.

Power supplies are interesting though, it's fun to design and build them and mine are all self made. I think they make good beginner to intermediate projects, a good basic variable linear bench supply with CV/CC is simple enough to be approachable but complex enough to be interesting.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf