Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3082329 times)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #7800 on: January 01, 2017, 02:17:12 am »
New challenge - find a single product where Batterizer offers any advantage.
Then calculate payback time.

Battery companies sell their batteries with Batteroo sleeves included.

Payback time ... about 3 to 6 weeks.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7801 on: January 01, 2017, 02:20:27 am »
AA size Li-ion cell (does anyone make those?)
Yes, they are called 14500 and have the same voltages as other lions (~3V cutoff to 4.2V full).

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #7802 on: January 01, 2017, 02:34:01 am »
Then calculate payback time.

OK... Let's design a product that benefits from the usage of the batteriser...  :D :D :D

Alexander.
Got it...  a Boob toy. (That happens to look like a trash can)
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7803 on: January 01, 2017, 03:34:49 am »
AA size Li-ion cell (does anyone make those?)
Yes, they are called 14500 and have the same voltages as other lions (~3V cutoff to 4.2V full).

I think edavid was asking about AA sized cells which have a li-ion cell and a 1.5V constant voltage buck converter and charging circuitry built in, like these: http://www.unbatteries.com/
These could do with some extensive testing too, to see if they perform at all.

Edit: User HKJ has already done some extensive testing of these here: http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Kentli%20AA%202800mWh%20(Blue)%20UK.html

Also:
Another teardown: https://ripitapart.com/2014/12/06/teardown-of-kentli-ph5-1-5-v-li-ion-aa-battery/
And some more testing: https://ripitapart.com/2015/06/17/performance-analysisreview-of-kentli-ph5-li-ion-1-5v-aa-battery/

You need to use a special charger as they have an indented inner ring around the positive pin which provides access to the 4.2V cell for CC/CV charging. You could either use any of the special Kentli chargers, or you could get little metal rings and use one of the chargers used for charging cylindrical li-ion cells.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-KENTLI-1-5v-2800mWh-rechargeable-Lithium-AA-PH5-battery-with-USB-Charger-/390935168431?hash=item5b058d45af:g:dUAAAOSw9N1VgpMl

Kentli vs Duracell Alkaline AA Cells:

-Source: http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonAAcomparator.php

There are also these ZNTER AA versions, which have charge circuitry and a micro-USB slot built in:
http://www.banggood.com/ZNTER-1_5V-1250mAh-USB-Rechargeable-AA-Li-Po-Battery-p-1069778.html
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 07:47:32 am by samgab »

Offline PeterL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7804 on: January 01, 2017, 11:46:45 am »
done.

And no worries, he's a professional

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #7805 on: January 01, 2017, 11:50:22 am »
No professional will use an untested new device is his workflow on "production". NEVER.

The following users thanked this post: firewalker

Offline kalleboo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7806 on: January 01, 2017, 12:09:16 pm »
Can't wait for his reaction when he figures out what's going on when it suddenly cuts out in the middle of a gig...

The following users thanked this post: lpickup

Offline SpaceCow

• Contributor
« Reply #7807 on: January 01, 2017, 12:12:45 pm »
Can't wait for his reaction when he figures out what's going on when it suddenly cuts out in the middle of a gig...

The sad thing is he probably will never associate what is actually going on with the batterizer.

Offline meeder

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7808 on: January 01, 2017, 01:00:32 pm »
The thing is that he is using them on eneloop NiMH batteries. No wonder his battery gauge doesn't  drop the devices he uses are probably calibrated on 1.5V instead of 1.2V.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #7809 on: January 01, 2017, 01:23:26 pm »
done.

Yes, he is professional. And after the Batteriser cuts off during a gig, he will also be experienced.

Offline Domagoj T

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7810 on: January 01, 2017, 01:43:53 pm »
He probably thinks he can go on another gig with his untouched batteries.

1,2,3... 1,2,3... testing....
Does this thing work?

Offline rich

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7811 on: January 01, 2017, 02:35:51 pm »
"This next song is in the key of B-flat..."

As a professional musician he shouldn't be expected to know that the battery gauge is rendered useless, he doesn't claim to be an engineer. But as usual, Batteroo fail to mention this to the people who they took money off  |O

He seems a happy customer, so I assume he didn't have any switching noise making its way into the final mix or killing the wireless range.

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #7812 on: January 01, 2017, 03:31:43 pm »
done.

Was that the guy who was responsible for screwing up Mariah Carey's new year's eve performance? :-DD

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, lpickup

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7813 on: January 01, 2017, 03:54:22 pm »
"This next song is in the key of B-flat..."

As a professional musician he shouldn't be expected to know that the battery gauge is rendered useless, he doesn't claim to be an engineer. But as usual, Batteroo fail to mention this to the people who they took money off  |O

He seems a happy customer, so I assume he didn't have any switching noise making its way into the final mix or killing the wireless range.

I find it hard to believe that these things would be usable with analogue radio equipment. 

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #7814 on: January 01, 2017, 04:13:58 pm »
The thing is that he is using them on eneloop NiMH batteries. No wonder his battery gauge doesn't  drop the devices he uses are probably calibrated on 1.5V instead of 1.2V.
Using batteriser on NiMH is probably the best way to kill them fast. Secondary batteries dont like to be over discharged.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #7815 on: January 01, 2017, 04:21:19 pm »
I find it hard to believe that these things would be usable with analogue radio equipment.

All the recent wireless stuff uses digital transmission for the RF.

Offline Hensingler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7816 on: January 01, 2017, 04:50:39 pm »
Using batteriser on NiMH is probably the best way to kill them fast. Secondary batteries dont like to be over discharged.

Have you got a reputable reference stating NiMH cells are damaged by complete discharge? I am having trouble finding anything. This http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/nickelmetalhydride_appman.pdf seems to indicate damage does not start until the terminal voltage is reversed.

Batteriseroo claimed the batteriseroo prevents reverse charging. They also state the bateriseroo is not suitable for use with rechargeable batteries which is something I never understood.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7817 on: January 01, 2017, 04:57:45 pm »

Is that so?  I thought there were latency issues due to the encoding/decoding that meant analogue methods were still used for live audio work... Ah well, i need to keep up...

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #7818 on: January 01, 2017, 05:50:06 pm »

Have you got a reputable reference stating NiMH cells are damaged by complete discharge? I am having trouble finding anything. This http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/nickelmetalhydride_appman.pdf seems to indicate damage does not start until the terminal voltage is reversed.

Batteriseroo claimed the batteriseroo prevents reverse charging. They also state the bateriseroo is not suitable for use with rechargeable batteries which is something I never understood.
http://www.ni-cd.net/accusphp/forum/docjoints/ID214_methode%20Nimh.pdf

figure 3.

Offline meeder

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7819 on: January 01, 2017, 05:53:52 pm »

Is that so?  I thought there were latency issues due to the encoding/decoding that meant analogue methods were still used for live audio work... Ah well, i need to keep up...
It seems to be a huge debate on the topic analog vs digital.

http://shureblog.co.uk/analogue-vs-digital-wireless-microphones/

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7820 on: January 01, 2017, 05:57:15 pm »
No professional will use an untested new device is his workflow on "production". NEVER.

It's OK, his first batteroo test was just a one off - a live 6 hour New Years Eve gig.  :palm:
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #7821 on: January 01, 2017, 06:26:43 pm »

I shouldn't have said all, I should have said some of the newer stuff is digital...

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #7822 on: January 01, 2017, 06:31:50 pm »

Even if your are not an engineer and don't know the details, it should be logical that if the battery gauge shows 100% all the time, that it suddenly has to go to 0%, or at least faster than normal at the end.

And the FAQ says they don't recommend using it for rechargeable batteries. But unfortunately they don't mention the reason: most likely you destroy such batteries, or at least reduce the capacity drastically, because of deep discharge.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Hensingler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7823 on: January 01, 2017, 06:35:29 pm »

http://www.ni-cd.net/accusphp/forum/docjoints/ID214_methode%20Nimh.pdf

figure 3.
That isn't damage though just claimed life reduction from deep discharging which pretty much all applications for your NiMH cells already do. The capacity difference between cut off at the generally recommended 0.9v and the 0.6v they claimed the batteriseroo would go down to is trivial.

Do you know of any equipment which stops at say 70% discharge because it increases life?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7824 on: January 01, 2017, 06:43:12 pm »

Even if your are not an engineer and don't know the details, it should be logical that if the battery gauge shows 100% all the time, that it suddenly has to go to 0%, or at least faster than normal at the end.

Or... you might think they're going to last 8x as long (as promised in the advert!)

He's in for a rude awakening, that's for sure. Let's just hope he goes back and posts another comment when it happens.

Batteriser will be used in more than toys. I wonder if Bob is OK with people's equipment suddenly dying in the middle of an important concert (televised/paying public) because the battery gauge isn't working? Will he put a warning/disclaimer on the pack? :popcorn:

PS: Is nobody here going to reply to that comment on IGG? I know there's a few stealthy backers. 

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 06:49:41 pm by Fungus »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf