Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3082311 times)

Offline akohler

• Contributor
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #4775 on: March 20, 2016, 09:48:29 pm »
IndieGoGo don't care. Several people already wrote to them about this (including me).

How about writing to some of the media-attentioni that Batteriser sources : wmur9, factitup, techhive, appleinsider, zmescience, daily-star, geek.com, digitaltrends. engineering.com, geekygadgets, bgr, yahoo, cnnmoney, macworld. pcworld, techxplore, dailymail.com, PRNewswire

We could write them saying, "Remember those guys? Look at them now."  Perhaps some bad press will get their attention.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 10:00:33 pm by akohler »

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #4776 on: March 21, 2016, 01:11:29 am »
Maybe they should win the inaugural EEVblog Shonky Product Of The Year Award?

Fixed, remember there is no product in this case.

Dave remember these guys (sums up the Batteriser people)

Offline quad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4777 on: March 21, 2016, 05:12:41 am »
More and more people are getting tired of this...

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #4778 on: March 21, 2016, 05:35:01 am »
More and more people are getting tired of this...

"Bob, This may not be a scam but we would never know it from the lack of info you provide. You could sure benefit by retaking Communications 101 and Customer Relations 101. You obviously majored in and got a PhD in Bullshit with a Minor in Dodgeball. Perhaps you should consider another job – maybe campaign manager for Hillary Clinton or Press Secretary for Barack Obama! "

Special from the group, I don't necessarily agree with the selection of politicians but conveys the message! :popcorn:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 05:41:28 am by ChunkyPastaSauce »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4779 on: March 21, 2016, 06:45:52 am »
Batteroo are still receiving awards?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-executives-honored-prestigious-frost-120000324.html

Somebody needs to write to the editor ( estefany.ariza@frost.com ) and tell them.

Offline akohler

• Contributor
« Reply #4780 on: March 21, 2016, 08:11:18 pm »
Somebody needs to write to the editor ( estefany.ariza@frost.com ) and tell them.

I did without reply.

I still say we contact all the media outlet that Batteriser sources. If we can embarrass Batteriser, perhaps they will be more motivated to produce results.

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #4781 on: March 21, 2016, 08:26:34 pm »
"Bob, This may not be a scam but we would never know it from the lack of info you provide. You could sure benefit by retaking Communications 101 and Customer Relations 101. You obviously majored in and got a PhD in Bullshit with a Minor in Dodgeball. Perhaps you should consider another job – maybe campaign manager for Hillary Clinton or Press Secretary for Barack Obama! "

Someone watching the indiegogo comments didn't like this one in particular.....now deleted. Wonder who that could have been? lol

Offline akohler

• Contributor
« Reply #4782 on: March 21, 2016, 09:06:22 pm »

Someone watching the indiegogo comments didn't like this one in particular.....now deleted. Wonder who that could have been? lol

People spewing insults and vulgarity are just creating noise for those legitimately voicing their concerns and grievances. I do find them entertaining and funny, but I'm sure they discourage Bob from responding.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4783 on: March 21, 2016, 09:14:16 pm »

People spewing insults and vulgarity are just creating noise for those legitimately voicing their concerns and grievances. I do find them entertaining and funny, but I'm sure they discourage Bob from responding.

I'd hardly consider that insulting or vulger. Bob should be thankful this guy didn't use more colourful language. I thought it was quite witty to be honest, I might not have been so tactful. Although if it did push a button with Bob, then it had it's desired effect.

Offline akohler

• Contributor
« Reply #4784 on: March 21, 2016, 09:17:29 pm »
Oh?:

" You obviously majored in and got a PhD in Bullshit with a Minor in Dodgeball. "

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4785 on: March 21, 2016, 09:28:44 pm »
Oh?:

" You obviously majored in and got a PhD in Bullshit with a Minor in Dodgeball. "

I think "You sir, are a naughty man" doesn't quite have the same punch to it.

Offline akohler

• Contributor
« Reply #4786 on: March 21, 2016, 09:44:40 pm »

I'm saying that "punch" may discourage Bob from communicating with those politely asking for an update.

I'll admit it, I am enjoying the Bob-bashing, but I feel bad for those people who invested $400k in the Batteriser. We should find ways to encourage Bob to improve his communication, for the benefit of the Batteriser supporters.

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #4787 on: March 21, 2016, 09:50:46 pm »
I'm saying that "punch" may discourage Bob from communicating with those politely asking for an update.

Promised an update for over a month now. Punches don't travel back in time.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4788 on: March 21, 2016, 09:55:03 pm »
I'll admit it, I am enjoying the Bob-bashing, but I feel bad for those people who invested $400k in the Batteriser. We should find ways to encourage Bob to improve his communication, for the benefit of the Batteriser supporters.

It's clear Bob doesn't want to communicate.
No amount of encouragement is going to fix that.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4789 on: March 21, 2016, 10:07:29 pm »

I often find companies response to clever and witty insults and criticism, especially when it's made publically on their Facebook, Twitter pages etc...

As Dave said, Bob has no intention of responding nor does he have even the slightest intention of providing updates with any substance to it. IGG backers, critics and even members of this forum have been nice enough to Bob, he deserves everything he gets coming to him. Unless of course he can deliver on his promises, apologise for the poor customer service and on-going delays or at the very least, throw his hands up and tell everyone "we were wrong and didn't think this through" and offer some kind of refund (if there is any money left) -- Neither of those things will happen.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 10:09:06 pm by Halcyon »

Offline akohler

• Contributor
« Reply #4790 on: March 21, 2016, 10:12:13 pm »

Don't they also have other investors --something like a $1M investor? Don't they want to sell to big-chain stores? Why not send a bunch of polite messages to the batteriser.com-sourced media-mentions like CNN money? Who knows? Perhaps they, or one of the other media outlets, will get the attention of someone Bob does answer to.

If he gets bad press, not just isolated Indiegogo diatribes, he may be more inclined to act. It's not big a deal angering some $100 contributor; It is a big deal discouraging large investors or potential buyers.

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #4791 on: March 21, 2016, 10:25:58 pm »

Don't they also have other investors --something like a $1M investor? Don't they want to sell to big-chain stores? Why not send a bunch of polite messages to the batteriser.com-sourced media-mentions like CNN money? Who knows? Perhaps they, or one of the other media outlets, will get the attention of someone Bob does answer to.

If he gets bad press, not just isolated Indiegogo diatribes, he may be more inclined to act. It's not big a deal angering some $100 contributor; It is a big deal discouraging large investors or potential buyers.

They'd have to run a story, saying they promoted a product without fact checking. They aren't going to print that without major incentive to do so.

The investors are almost certainly 100% aware of what's going on.

Offline akohler

• Contributor
« Reply #4792 on: March 21, 2016, 10:32:25 pm »

They'd have to run a story, saying they promoted a product without fact checking. They aren't going to print that without major incentive to do so.

The investors are almost certainly 100% aware of what's going on.

Yeah, these are the arguments I'm trying to get around.

On the story-front: Many of the stories are "Look at the cool product that they guys say they are making." They are not claiming that the product actually works

On the investor front: If they think they will not get any return due to bad press, they'll get on Bob's case.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 10:35:59 pm by akohler »

Offline akohler

• Contributor
« Reply #4793 on: March 21, 2016, 11:41:18 pm »
To put it another way:

Everyone here is enjoying Bob and Batteriser bashing. Why not embarrass them in front of their cited media "mentioners?" We got nothing to lose.

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #4794 on: March 22, 2016, 12:02:28 am »
To put it another way:

Everyone here is enjoying Bob and Batteriser bashing. Why not embarrass them in front of their cited media "mentioners?" We got nothing to lose.

Personally, I'm not here to embarrass anyone and won't go out of my way to do so.  Watching things unfold and discussing is fine, but not for getting involved in an 'embarrassment' campaign or whatever. I don't think they need help anyway.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4795 on: March 22, 2016, 12:27:36 am »
Personally, I'm not here to embarrass anyone and won't go out of my way to do so.  Watching things unfold and discussing is fine, but not for getting involved in an 'embarrassment' campaign or whatever. I don't think they need help anyway.

Batteriser embarrass themselves literally every time they open their mouth. It's actually rather fascinating to watch, which I think is why so many people in the industry are so fixated on following the saga.

Offline akohler

• Contributor
« Reply #4796 on: March 22, 2016, 12:30:01 am »
I'm not suggesting anything vulgar or unethical.

I'm suggesting something along the lines of:
"Remember them?"
"This is how they are behaving."
"This is what they are claiming"

Just be factual, and let the media outlets know that people have lost $400k on a "miracle product" that is questionable; that they seem to be taking the money and producing no tangible results.

There's bound to be some follow-up from a few of the media outlets, and get Bob's attention.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #4797 on: March 22, 2016, 12:30:43 am »
To put it another way:

From my perspective, the reactions being posted here are not just about 'bashing' Bob and Batteriser - they are an expression of frustration of two basic issues.

1. The product has been touted, promoted and offered as having features which are not credible to many - especially to members of this forum and like-minded people around the world.

2. The product has failed to be shipped on several occasions, depriving ALL of the opportunity to review the product and either prove or refute the claims made.

A further issue is the legal and moral problem of fraud.  Taking people's money on the promise of delivering a product and not doing so; promising updates and not providing them; ignoring complaints - and censoring them where they can; and (afaik) not providing refunds to those who have asked for them - ALL adds up to a steaming pile of @#%%!!!

Bob - if you really want this to go away - come clean or deliver your product.

If you're trying to 'wait it out' until everybody forgets - you don't know the EE brain very well.  Unanswered questions are like a stone in a shoe ... and we don't like uncomfortable feet.

Offline akohler

• Contributor
« Reply #4798 on: March 22, 2016, 12:32:52 am »

Batteriser embarrass themselves literally every time they open their mouth. It's actually rather fascinating to watch, which I think is why so many people in the industry are so fixated on following the saga.

Yeah, so we get to laugh at them while they have $400k of other people's money. Their embarrassment is our amusement; I'd rather it be for something productive.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4799 on: March 22, 2016, 12:44:26 am »
Yeah, so we get to laugh at them while they have $400k of other people's money. Their embarrassment is our amusement; I'd rather it be for something productive.

Sure, but it is what it is.
Since this whole Batteriser thing started I don't think I've met a single person who has not mentioned it to me and laughed and facepalmed. People seems to be genuinely fascinated by the stupidity of it all.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf