Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2306928 times)

Offline L_Euler

• Regular Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4000 on: June 24, 2019, 12:32:29 am »
The lab:  Mostly old equipment that had to be repaired before it went into service.  I've used modern equipment, but the older stuff is more fun.  For instance, I find using a precision current shunt and scaling math on my 3456 is more satisfying than reading current directly on a newer meter.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 12:54:56 am by L_Euler »
There's no point to getting old if you don't have stories.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, edavid, bitseeker, 0culus, NA5B

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #4001 on: June 24, 2019, 12:59:45 am »
Nice set up ya got going on.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline kkessler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4002 on: June 24, 2019, 02:54:16 am »
Trash-80 monitor, I'm so jealous.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #4003 on: June 24, 2019, 02:56:21 am »
The lab:  Mostly old equipment that had to be repaired before it went into service.  I've used modern equipment, but the older stuff is more fun.  For instance, I find using a precision current shunt and scaling math on my 3456 is more satisfying than reading current directly on a newer meter.

I hope that top shelf of your bench is very robust...that's a not insignificant amount of weight! Nice setup!

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4004 on: June 24, 2019, 04:17:32 am »

Thank you for rescuing them from the landfills!

Speaking of current shunts, which ones do you use?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline L_Euler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4005 on: June 24, 2019, 10:47:44 am »
The shelf did acquire a bit of sag, so I added some extra support.  You can barely see it between the HP and Wavetek.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 10:50:04 am by L_Euler »

Offline L_Euler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4006 on: June 24, 2019, 10:48:49 am »
Trash-80 monitor, I'm so jealous.

Yea, I brought my 1977 model 1 back to life (both video sync generators out) and added a hard drive emulator.  The extra monitor was for parts

Offline L_Euler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4007 on: June 24, 2019, 12:28:47 pm »

Thank you for rescuing them from the landfills!

Speaking of current shunts, which ones do you use?

I usually try to stick with 1 mV/1 A unless small current then 1 V/1 A.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #4008 on: June 24, 2019, 12:50:14 pm »

Great set-up!  If you posted to this forum using that TRS-80 rather than a modern computer then you'd really be having fun!   :D

Offline ferdieCX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4009 on: June 29, 2019, 06:39:47 pm »
Hello,
I have a question from my boss regarding Workbench and electronics Lab:
Is there some official norm or recommendation about the ergonomics of an electronics Workbench/Lab ?

I am not aware about that, but may be someone here knows better.
Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 06:41:43 pm by ferdieCX »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4010 on: June 30, 2019, 12:31:14 am »
Hello,
Is there some official norm or recommendation about the ergonomics of an electronics Workbench/Lab ?

Thanks in advance

About the only thing I could suggest is to put your most used bits of gear at eye level.  I have my digital scope and bench meters at my eye level and that feels the most comfortable.  I have stuff above and below that but I like the eye level thing.  Ergonomics are going to differ from person to person.  Some like a tall bench and work standing up.  I am quite overweight and have a bad knee.  Walking is not an issue but I can't stand in one place long before my knee starts to ache.  If you are going to use shelves, make sure you have adequate table top space for large projects.  I have 12 inch shelves and a 33 inch bench top, giving me 21 inches of space.  That may be too much for some, but I have long arms so it is easy for me to reach the equipment shelves.  Trial and error to see what will work for you as well as going through this thread to see what people are doing.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: ferdieCX

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4011 on: June 30, 2019, 12:57:56 am »
Hello,

Thanks in advance
As some guide, a tabletop is ~30" (750mm) for use when seated whereas a sink bench is ~36" (900mm) for use when standing.
Both are general heights that have been in use for decades and for shorter or taller ppls small adjustments need be made for the comfort of the user.
For a professional service center where the technician might be standing for most of the day a benchtop height might be 1m+ so that objects are closer and they don't have to stoop/hunch to work.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4012 on: June 30, 2019, 01:13:57 am »
Check your local laws and regulations. There's a fair chance there is a local OSHA like agency and you'll have to deal with prescribed workplace requirements. Note that what is the standard in one country may very well be against the rules in another. Assumptions can be costly.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4013 on: June 30, 2019, 01:54:00 am »
As some guide, a tabletop is ~30" (750mm) for use when seated whereas a sink bench is ~36" (900mm) for use when standing.
Both are general heights that have been in use for decades and for shorter or taller ppls small adjustments need be made for the comfort of the user.

My bench is 33".  I am 6" tall but short legged and long bodied, 33" is perfect for me.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #4014 on: June 30, 2019, 02:13:04 am »

My bench is 33".  I am 6" tall but short legged and long bodied, 33" is perfect for me.

Are you a Lilliputian?  :-DD Sorry, couldn't resist.

I've been pondering the question of bench depth. I work on boat anchors like HP spectrum analyzers, so I want as much depth as I can get when I move into my house and am ready to buy some stuff.

The following users thanked this post: BillyD

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #4015 on: June 30, 2019, 03:29:15 am »
I've been pondering the question of bench depth. I work on boat anchors like HP spectrum analyzers, so I want as much depth as I can get when I move into my house and am ready to buy some stuff.

Right, when you got things like an hp 8904A you need depth!

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4016 on: June 30, 2019, 04:11:28 am »

Read my post from here.

I have rack sized gear sitting at eye level on my shelves in front of me (though the photo doesn't show the full extent). As the workbench is detached from the shelving it can practically be anywhere from 2' to 3' deep so that is a ton of space when extended out, large gear is no problem.

To avoid a wiring mess on my workbench, my current setup is two tables inside the span. One small square table has soldering gear at the moment (draws to be added), this I leave stationary. The main workbench is largely clutter free but for some tool boxes that are easily moved.

Possible to start out with any old bench/table with legs until you get something better. For complete flexibility on the benchtop material I suggest at least 1" hard edged solid wooden laminate countertop, that way you can make removable or hinged back and sides (avoids screws and tools rolling away).  This style of countertop looks great, solid but inexpensive. I would purchase it unfinished, route a soft edge in the work side for comfort, then apply several coats of urethane for a long lasting and waterproof finish.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 04:13:06 am by Shock »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: ferdieCX, 0culus

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #4017 on: June 30, 2019, 11:53:23 am »
I recently set up a couple of new workbenches, so I thought this could be of interest/inspiration to others.

These aren't my main electronics R&D bench, nor my day-to-day desk, but they're more for a second staff member doing embedded development, and for running ongoing testing.
They are a couple of 1800x900mm office desks that came from the old Altium office (thanks Dave!) and I built some custom shelving from 1" square aluminium tube.  They are 900mm high & 345mm deep.

Thankfully my HP8904A won't be sitting on these benches.   :phew:

I plan to build similar shelving for the R&D & assembly benches in the coming months (also ex Altium desks).  They're a disaster at the moment, so no pics!!!   :scared:

I am also in the process of making some very solid 2000x900mm benches using 4545 Aluminium profile and 30mm thick pine tops for my 3D printers and benchtop PnP.
See the PDF for a rough sketch.  I've built the first one except for shelving.  I plan to build the second back-to-back with it so they share the main uprights.

BTW, yes I have a commercial office/warehouse space - about 160m2 over two floors.  Quite big for a staff of 1 full time and 1 casual!
Electronics & computer stuff happens upstairs, storage & workshop (lathe/mill/CnC/laser cutter/etc) downstairs.

I should mention that I didn't really think the sizing of the new shelving through as well as I should have.  It works OK, but if I did it again I'd adjust the heights (and maybe widths) to better suit standard test gear with less wasted space.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 12:01:24 pm by Kean »

The following users thanked this post: ferdieCX, BillB, 0culus

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4018 on: June 30, 2019, 12:52:25 pm »
oooooooooooooooo my precious..... Imsai 8080  8)

Online Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #4019 on: June 30, 2019, 12:54:54 pm »
oooooooooooooooo my precious..... Imsai 8080  8)

That is the latest addition.  Not a real IMSAI, but a simulator with full replica front panel.  Kit comes from a local Aussie https://thehighnibble.com/imsai8080/

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4020 on: June 30, 2019, 04:36:07 pm »
Still very nice, can't see a price on that site?

Online Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #4021 on: July 01, 2019, 08:45:03 am »
Still very nice, can't see a price on that site?

To move the discussion to a more appropriate place, I've just made a post in the Vintage Computing section about it.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/vintage-computing/imsai-8080-replica/

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4022 on: July 01, 2019, 05:23:55 pm »

[/quote]

Are you a Lilliputian?  :-DD Sorry, couldn't resist.

[/quote]

:-DD :-DD |O |O  Obviously a PEBKAC error.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4023 on: July 01, 2019, 06:11:05 pm »
To add to the debate, my workbench and ham radio desks are all 73 cm from floor level as I use conventional seating rather than a stool. Why 73cm? I once had a really comfortable desk for code sending and before I left it behind (relocating to another continent) I measured the height. Nine times out of ten this also works out for workshop duties but I have been known to either stand up or reduce the height of my chair depending on need.

I am 6 ft tall (1.82m)
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #4024 on: July 17, 2019, 06:40:02 pm »
I didn't know about this thread at first, and posted in the wrong place.   :(

Pictures and a write-up of my bench are here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rebuilding-my-lab-bench/

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 06:41:57 pm by mindcrime »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf