Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2306756 times)

Offline Doc38343

• Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #1275 on: June 06, 2015, 12:48:09 am »
Nice setups in here! I have what i call "organized chaos"... Like many i've seen here we all just do the best we can with what we have to work with!!
I am NOT a naturally organized person but i have been trying harder as I see a real need to as I get older. It gets tedious wasting time looking for something while your thinking "I know I saw that somewhere over this way"... I can never get back moments wasted like that and brothers when you pass 50 you will surely wish you could re-gain some time!!
Love this post it is giving me some great ideas for my own organizational needs...

OK so don't laugh....

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1276 on: June 06, 2015, 01:17:16 am »

OK so don't laugh....

:-DD

No really, I've seen a whole lot worse.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1277 on: June 06, 2015, 01:46:51 am »
..."organized chaos"...
Remove the clutter that's restricting access to the refrigerator and microwave, and you're good to go.  :-+ 

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1278 on: June 06, 2015, 02:27:51 am »
I would love to have that much space, even with the clutter you have in there, your empty area is bigger than my 8' by 9' (2.44m by 2.74m) home office.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #1279 on: June 06, 2015, 11:06:59 am »
Very fortunate here, my home office is an add on at the back of the house the previous owners did.  The space is 9.5 by 22 feet.  I have room for my 8' workbench, 8x9.5 ft L shaped desk, a 6' ham radio desk, a big military filing cabinet, a diy oscilloscope cart to display my Tek 533A and 2 wire rack shelving units. There is even room for some people out here ;D
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1280 on: June 10, 2015, 01:36:08 pm »
Good to see everyone's set-ups keep them coming. :)
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Darkvader

« Reply #1281 on: June 15, 2015, 03:34:30 am »
Quote from: george graves
Blah - I started out with an almost exact set up.  3-4  later I have a scope, counter, 4-3 power supplies and a 5 1/2 meter. You mentioned you'll buy what you need when you need it - actually - you'll get to the point where you buy stuff 3-6 months before you need it.  At least that's what I did.
[\quote]

That's cool :) i do feel odd for not having as much equipment but for the most part I've found that i don't really need much. I'm only forward thinking in what projects i want to do, so something sticks in my head for a while and then i do it about 3 months later usually... that is unless a few of my friends ask me to fix things so i'm pretty much the kind to get stuff on the day i do something.

David~

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1282 on: June 15, 2015, 10:35:32 am »
a big military filing cabinet

I want to see what that looks like! 

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #1283 on: June 16, 2015, 03:22:54 am »
a big military filing cabinet

I want to see what that looks like!

Here is a pic.  This thing will handle legal size folders-14", weighs as much as  Buick and is absolutely fun to move.  SWMBO has had it for years as she was a military brat and married military for her first husband.  She was the one who also painted it.  Maybe someday I will take the time to remove the dents, clean it up and paint it a proper olive drab. :-+
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1284 on: June 16, 2015, 11:14:14 am »
Ha!  Ok - I expected 1/4" plate steel, but still that looks like a beast.

(PS - never buy a filing cabinet from some place like "walmart" - it won't even support the weight of a grown man)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1285 on: June 16, 2015, 11:22:57 am »

(PS - never buy a filing cabinet from some place like "walmart" - it won't even support the weight of a grown man)

I bent one taking it out of the van. No problem, just used hand pressure to put it back to mostly straight. There seems to be a trend to seeing if they can make the steel thinner than the paint coat on the metal.

Bought a small cabinet on auction, all I had to do was put in new door lock rods and undo the lock ( missing the key, but 2 paper clips fixed that problem), and it is a lot firmer and heavier than the ones you buy now. They did not believe I could fit it in my car, and still have the rear hatch on the VW close...... mostly.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #1286 on: June 16, 2015, 11:03:24 pm »

Tell me about it.  I bought a 2 drawer for extra file storage and it was dented in no time.  Lesson learned.

Offline smjcuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1287 on: June 17, 2015, 10:26:15 am »
In my idiotic youth, we put a large firework inside an ex UK Army filing cabinet we found in the local woods and locked it (had a locking bar rather than piddly little lock at the top). Noise and smoke came out. That was it.

No less than 5 years ago at the grand age of 35, I decided to put a similarly sized one inside a locked cheap Chinese import one (from Viking UK) I was disposing of. Blew the sides clean off and the drawers out.

I'm not sure if that was a scientific test or if it proves that they don't make them like they used to but it was fun and made it fit in the car easier to take to the tip  >:D

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1288 on: June 17, 2015, 12:20:24 pm »
In my idiotic youth, we put a large firework inside an ex UK Army filing cabinet we found in the local woods and locked it (had a locking bar rather than piddly little lock at the top). Noise and smoke came out. That was it.

No less than 5 years ago at the grand age of 35, I decided to put a similarly sized one inside a locked cheap Chinese import one (from Viking UK) I was disposing of. Blew the sides clean off and the drawers out.

I'm not sure if that was a scientific test or if it proves that they don't make them like they used to but it was fun and made it fit in the car easier to take to the tip  >:D
A fellow home destruction by explosives pyrotechnics enthusiast.  :o >:D

Offline RobertHolcombe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1289 on: June 18, 2015, 09:15:08 am »
We recently had our premises renovated and my office/lab was expanded from 16m2 to 24m2, part of my old space was used for storage but now its all mine to layout and configure as I desire. I'm happy with the layout now, all I have left is to decide on final dimensions for a new workbench - its going to have cavities that the two tool trolleys fit under (one contains tools, the other components/terminals/fasteners, etc), so a slightly higher and much wider overall bench size - and a higher bench between that and the rack frame

Offline bubba198

• Contributor
« Reply #1290 on: June 20, 2015, 09:09:16 pm »
Although not truly a lab since the space doubles as a man cave, all of the lab work does take place here so I guess it is a man cave lab LOL

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #1291 on: June 21, 2015, 12:05:52 am »

What's on the tape?

Source code for PONG?
Possibly the simulation data from the W.O.P.R.?
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1292 on: June 21, 2015, 12:24:46 am »
It's reassuring to discover that I'm not the only one with an unaccountable urge to keep an old 9 track tape in their lab.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 08:49:49 am by rolycat »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1293 on: June 21, 2015, 07:45:29 am »
I don't see a full rack tape reader and the extra rack of support equipment so I guess it is a full mystery tape.

Could be the lost Apollo images...........

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1294 on: June 21, 2015, 10:45:31 am »
Sadly I still have a new in wrapping QIC data cartridge. The rest of them went as scrap metal a while ago, for the aluminium bases, and this one escaped. Even found one DAT tape ( and the drive it was used in ) and the DAT cleaning tape.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1295 on: June 21, 2015, 11:10:33 am »
Not just in your youth apparently. ;)
You're only young once but you can be immature at any age.

There's a fun 'when we were kids' thread here: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-06-19/last-rebels-25-things-we-did-kids-would-get-someone-arrested-today
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #1296 on: June 21, 2015, 01:15:36 pm »

There's a fun 'when we were kids' thread here: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-06-19/last-rebels-25-things-we-did-kids-would-get-someone-arrested-today

I did everything on that list except shoot a gun/bow.  My parents weren't into that and I didn't own my first gun until I was 22.  I started teaching my son at the age of 5 about shooting and shooting safety and even cut down a stock on an old Winchester Model 190 .22 cal rifle so he could learn.  I also tried to blow up Matchbox cars with fireworks and firecrackers made great land mines when playing with green army men.  I still have all my fingers and both eyes :-DD

Offline bubba198

• Contributor
« Reply #1297 on: June 21, 2015, 05:06:33 pm »

What's on the tape?

Actually the short answer is that I don't know. Few years ago I worked on a consulting contract with a government agency here in California (yes don't laugh the land of the silicon valley is still in the medieval ages when it comes to government) and they had to give us some data and the dude said they will FedEx a tape so I was like huh? So being a pompous dot-commer of the time I cracked a joke that we can only accept punch cards. He said that wouldn't be a problem? What? OMG So I asked for stack for my man cave decoration:

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #1298 on: June 22, 2015, 08:29:17 am »

He missed a few that I did, play with matches, set fire to petrol (gas for USA guys) I still have my eyebrows!!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1299 on: June 23, 2015, 01:24:22 am »

Skip the snow & ice related stuff (didn't get cold enough for it), and tossing rocks at snakes in a river intentionally as well (hint: Agkistrodon piscivorus).

There's also a few things I did that aren't on that list, such as experimenting with chemistry (not the child-proof sets), petrol/gasoline/..., and playing with fireworks. All unsupervised. No limbs lost, And I still have all my hair where it's supposed to be, and so on.

Only managed to break a few fingers growing up, and that was from yawning in a room with ceiling fans.  |O  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf