Author Topic: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope  (Read 313661 times)

jscm2000 and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Hacking the Rigol DHO800/900 Scope
« Reply #525 on: November 27, 2023, 06:15:51 pm »
Multiple DHO800 owners have also confirmed this happens to them.

That doesn't mean it's a bug.

Trigger is a circuit that detects a rising voltage. 12 bit resolution means it can "see" (and react to) things that an 8 bit trigger doesn't.

Try turning on the noise reject in the trigger and see if that helps.

Try stopping the 'scope and zoom in on the undesired trigger point, see what's there.

Are you using 50 Ohm terminated cable?

Edit: Should probably be in the "Test and compare" thread.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 06:18:10 pm by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: akkk44

Offline Proxy64

• Contributor
« Reply #526 on: November 29, 2023, 06:15:34 am »
Hi all,
Not so easy to climb on the bandwagon, 22 pages to browse.
I was going to place an order for a Rigol 814, now I am not sure to understand all hacks possibility.
If I buy a 804 hacks will bring it to the same level of a 814, or are there still advantages to buy a 814?
Thank you

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #527 on: November 29, 2023, 06:39:35 am »
Hi all,
I was going to place an order for a Rigol 814, now I am not sure to understand all hacks possibility.
If I buy a 804 hacks will bring it to the same level of a 814, or are there still advantages to buy a 814?
Thank you

Adding the 100 MHz option (which results in an effective bandwidth of ~200 MHz) and the 50 MPts memory option are the two hacks which are absolutely straightforward and robust. These options are activated using the same mechanism which Rigol themselves use when they sell you the options.

The only difference between an upgraded 804 and an 814 scope is the different digit printed on the front panel. ;) The four probes shipped with the 804 are also the same as the 814 probes (150 MHz bandwidth).

There is a more "aggressive" hack which lets a DHO8x4 scope assume it is a 900-series model, by replacing or modifying the vendor.bin file on its internal SD card. This enables even higher bandwidth (exceeding the Nyquist limit in some settings!) plus triggers and decoders for CAN and LIN protocols. But it has shown side effects in some units, with calibration offsets which are still under investigation. Not recommended at this time if you want to focus on actually using your scope, I'd say.

Offline JDW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #528 on: November 29, 2023, 06:41:59 am »
Hi all,
Thank you

Like you, I have not yet purchased the scope.  I have been considering the DSO804 in hopes of figuring out the precise steps to hacking it to a better model.  This thread does not contain a single post with a nice series of steps though.  Instead we have this confusion...

1. souldevelop in Post#31 introduces a tool he created.  But you must download that tool in two parts, given in posts #32 & #33.  I wish it were that simple, but it's not.  If you keep reading page after page, we see additions.  Some people are talking about the requirement to perform Calibration, but of course no steps are given, so we who don't yet have a scope are confused by what must be done, how it is to be done, and when.

2. Fungus in Post#111 gives some updated steps, but he does things a little differently with a MANUAL INSTALL of vendor.bin.

3. Serg65536 in Post#334 then enters the hacking game with something called GOLang, which I myself know nothing about.  You'd think that would be the preferred solution, but then I was told to refer back to the tool created by souldevelop, which I mentioned in #1 above.

NOTE: Fungus in Post#60 mentions that some of the hacks (all of the hacks?) which change the 800-series to the 900-series end up adding on screen elements that serve no function at all on the 800-series because the 800-series lacks hardware support for that.  I agree 100% with Fungus that I would not want a hack (if possible) that adds disfunctional elements to the LCD of the scope because that is bothersome and confusing.

All said, there is no complete list of steps (e.g., 1, 2, 3... 11, 12, DONE!) to victory when it comes to hacking this scope.  Seems you sort of need to know what you are doing with each hack proposed and then play around until it works.  That's all I can surmise without yet having a scope in front of me.

Now if someone well informed, having had 100% success with their hack would be nice enough to post all the required steps in sequence for the preferred method, assuming nothing and explaining in detail, that would be idea for people coming to this thread.  Then everyone could simply refer to that one post and get down to business in no time.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 06:53:04 am by JDW »

The following users thanked this post: Proxy64

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #529 on: November 29, 2023, 06:51:47 am »
1. souldevelop in Post#31 introduces a tool he created.  But you must download that tool in two parts, given in posts #32 & #33.  I wish it were that simple, but it's not.  If you keep reading page after page, we see additions.  Some people are talking about the requirement to perform Calibration, but of course no steps are given, so we who don't yet have a scope are confused by what must be done, how it is to be done, and when.

2. Fungus in Post#111 gives some updated steps, but he does things a little differently with a MANUAL INSTALL of vendor.bin.

3. Serg65536 in Post#334 then enters the hacking game with something called GOLang, which I myself know nothing about.  You'd think that would be the preferred solution, but then I was told to refer back to the tool created by souldevelop, which I mentioned in #1 above.

Option 3 is what you want for an upgrade from the DHO804 to 814. It is a semi-automated script which reads out the unique key file from the scope, and uses that key to generate SCPI commands which unlock the options. (Just like the commands Rigol will give you if you order an option.)

The earlier links you give refer to the more aggressive approach via swapping the vendor.bin file, which historically was discovered first.

The following users thanked this post: JDW, Proxy64

Offline JDW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #530 on: November 29, 2023, 06:55:29 am »

Option 3 is what you want for an upgrade from the DHO804 to 814. It is a semi-automated script which reads out the unique key file from the scope, and uses that key to generate SCPI commands which unlock the options. (Just like the commands Rigol will give you if you order an option.)

The main disadvantage I see in going only with an upgrade to a DSO814 is that you don't get the memory upgrade from 25M to 50M.  I'd take the memory upgrade over the bandwidth upgrade, if I had to choose.  What are your thoughts about that?

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #531 on: November 29, 2023, 07:54:05 am »
The main disadvantage I see in going only with an upgrade to a DSO814 is that you don't get the memory upgrade from 25M to 50M.  I'd take the memory upgrade over the bandwidth upgrade, if I had to choose.  What are your thoughts about that?

You do get the memory upgrade this way. I explicitly said so in the summary above (#532), and it's all over this thread -- including the post you linked to as your option 3. My thoughts are that, if you want to consider the "hacking" route at all, you will need to put in a little bit of homework. :)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #532 on: November 29, 2023, 07:57:37 am »
If I buy a 804 hacks will bring it to the same level of a 814

You can make it better than the 814.

or are there still advantages to buy a 814?

No.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #533 on: November 29, 2023, 08:18:04 am »
or are there still advantages to buy a 814?
No.
there are. for extra $70 you'll get 100MHz sticker and save some minutes of doing hack job...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline JDW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #534 on: November 29, 2023, 08:23:18 am »
...for extra $70 you'll get 100MHz sticker and save some minutes of doing hack job...

But you still only get 25Mpts of memory for that extra $70, not 50M.

ebastler informs me that you get 50Mpts if you apply the GOLang hack from the DHO804 to DHO814.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #535 on: November 29, 2023, 08:27:58 am »
My thoughts are that, if you want to consider the "hacking" route at all, you will need to put in a little bit of homework. :)

Well, apparently that is no longer the case.  ;)
Here's a step-by-step video just published on the RetroChannel. I have not validated it, but it looks plausible:

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, JDW, eklein, Proxy64

Offline Proxy64

• Contributor
« Reply #536 on: November 29, 2023, 10:16:59 am »
Thank you all, 804 on the way  :)

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #537 on: November 29, 2023, 11:43:22 am »
...for extra $70 you'll get 100MHz sticker and save some minutes of doing hack job...

ebastler informs me that you get 50Mpts if you apply the GOLang hack from the DHO804 to DHO814.
he asked what benefit between 804 and 814, both 25Mpts... if you want to step up to DHO900 feature (50Mpts), get ready to waste some minutes more.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

The following users thanked this post: JDW, Proxy64

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #538 on: November 29, 2023, 11:56:51 am »
he asked what benefit between 804 and 814, both 25Mpts... if you want to step up to DHO900 feature (50Mpts), get ready to waste some minutes more.

Just to make sure we are on the same page: The 50 MPts memory is no longer an exclusive DHO900 feature. It has been made available as an official option for the DHO800 in the first (?) firmware update, if I recall correctly. A bit confusing, since there is no updated datasheet which mentions this option, to my knowledge.

The following users thanked this post: JDW

Online Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #539 on: November 29, 2023, 11:58:39 am »

Even though the 50Mpts is only in the 900, you can unlock it in the 800 without putting in a vendor.bin from the 900. At least that's what I inferred from earlier posts. The unlock procedure is the same as transforming a 804 to a 814. You cannot get the additional V/div ranges or the 250 bandwidth without making it think it's a 900.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, JDW

Offline dmulligan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #540 on: November 29, 2023, 03:33:18 pm »
Here's a step-by-step video just published on the RetroChannel. I have not validated it, but it looks plausible:

I watched it, it is valid.  All of the things he suggests you verify are still accurate.

Offline gabiz_ro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #541 on: November 30, 2023, 10:08:17 am »
I'm not sure but clicking on that message android system should offer option to fix this.
Anybody try that?
Don't use my advice.
Seems there is an conflicting situation between Rigol application and Android operating system.
I did it and formatting hang at 20%
I could leave it as is but ...
Next step was factory reset from android menu , also don't do this.
After restart I get a bootloop with only some quick flashing text on screen.
Power cycle few times and started with circle logo and erasing message of android recovery.
And the problems begin
Android see storage partition and all OK
Rigol app report negative size.
adb can't connect anymore getting message on screen remote cmd error but in the end I was able to connect only with Total Commander and their plugin
And worst of all trigger malfunction.
What that means is when turn trigger knob I get a violet line on screen and also colour of trigger on top bar change to violet too and no adjustment available.
Try to calibrate no fix,
Overwrite Rigol folder from backup no fix.
Maybe after few power cycle Rigol app "fix" somehow storage partition as I can see that size is pozitive and no more negative as before,but now android complain again about that problem.
Also try to update firmware but no go, getting only execution failure when select update file and try to update.
Anyway for further investigation I did a full backup by this method

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-dho800900-scope/msg5182476/#msg5182476

and restored original backup on sdcard, also made with this method
As a note
First time I try from adb console to restore backup, to avoid opening the scope but i killed it, started to write and after some time suddenly (not finished writing) restarted and no more started again so I need to open and write card with external tools.
After that all was fine again.

Taking a quick look at "damaged" backup I can see just in first screen on winhex that are different,looking like some UEFI style partition, didn't check more as lack of time but winhex recognize from start this is an disk image and showing three partitions (but unable to show files) while with original backup can't detect any partition even if I choose this is a disk image.
So android reset change something as is expect to be,  but incompatible with Rigol app format.

For those who want to experiment more maybe a launcher or a file browser can be added to Rigol App folder with name help.apk or help_en.apk I don't know if are standalone application one for chinese one for english or parent-child so help is main app and help_en is loaded in case english is selected.
And for missing keyboard maybe installing some version of gboard apk will fix this, if android manage to acces it.

After other problems detected by others now we see problems at level os-application, in the end that looks like an unfinished product or applications made in hurry without basic requirements fixed. 

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #542 on: November 30, 2023, 12:48:51 pm »
After other problems detected by others now we see problems at level os-application, in the end that looks like an unfinished product or applications made in hurry without basic requirements fixed.

I don't recall Rigol ever saying this can be used to run Android apps. There's no way to get to Android via the normal controls.

(Unlike Micsig which has a "home" button, launcher, keyboard, etc.)

Offline gabiz_ro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #543 on: November 30, 2023, 05:00:02 pm »
And I'm not talking about other application but about Rigol sparrow.apk and android operating system.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #544 on: November 30, 2023, 05:03:49 pm »
And I'm not talking about other application but about Rigol sparrow.apk and android operating system.

What conflict? My 'scope boots and runs.

Offline gabiz_ro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #545 on: November 30, 2023, 06:55:59 pm »
Mine too.
So? That means is perfect? It's buggy
I'm not here for arguing.
If you have a different opinion feel free to express it, but stop arguing with me.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #546 on: November 30, 2023, 07:25:42 pm »
I don't recall Rigol ever saying this can be used to run Android apps. There's no way to get to Android via the normal controls.

What conflict? My 'scope boots and runs.

I don't understand how you can be so cavalier about this.

There seems to be some inconsistency in the file system. It's there right out of the box, at least in some units.

Who knows what the effect will be when you save a lot of screenshots locally, or run the n'th firmware update? The scope might crash due to file corruption. For a "naive" user who has not hacked his way into it beforehand to make a backup copy of the SD card, that could mean sending it in for service. If it only happens after the warranty period, it could cost serious money. Not good.

Offline conrad550

« Reply #547 on: November 30, 2023, 10:38:02 pm »
RetroChannel also has video to add WIFI and launcher(details in questions/comments area).

« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 01:26:30 am by conrad550 »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #548 on: November 30, 2023, 10:54:53 pm »
My thoughts are that, if you want to consider the "hacking" route at all, you will need to put in a little bit of homework. :)

Nice concise video. I just added that video to the original post.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 10:56:37 pm by EEVblog »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #549 on: December 03, 2023, 08:36:26 pm »
I just created my own DHO914 vendor.bin to see what bandwidth I get using it.

Answer: About 225MHz

This gives about 2.7x oversample when two channels are enabled, which I can live with.

I also get 2ns/div horizontal, 200uV vertical, 50M memory, the extra decoders, and it calibrates the same as the original DHO804.

Maybe the best hack for a DHO804.  :)

The only downside is the digital channel thing in the UI.

The following users thanked this post: F14V

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf