Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 825508 times)

goaty and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
SDS1204X has better math, so do others. To be closer in performance, the SDS2304 series. There are some things I measure that good intensity grading would be nice, The RTB does not do a great job at it, but then when I bought it, it was never advertised as doing so. Though I have not personally tried them, I have seen videos ( some from Dave ) that show lower cost Rigols and Siglents doing a great job at it.

Glad I can make you laugh. I have a full option RTB2004 and do like it, but the fact is, some lower end scopes have some features the RTB does not.
For example ?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 01:39:57 am by Joel_l »

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
Hi Rich,

So does this mean some of these wishlist items have moved from maybe to plan of record?

Hopefully, R&S will still remember things like promised functionalities, such as the necessary advanced math. trigger possibilities, and already mentioned things like drag'n drop quick access, etc.

It's getting a bit too quiet around the RTB2K.

Hello Rich, what's new out there in the moment?    ;D
Haven't forgotten, and as far as I know they are still planned, but as mentioned before, the advanced math will likely be in the summer timeframe.  Not sure on the quick access (could be the next release or perhaps the summer).

In general, I expect new FW updates about every 3-4 months for the 2000/3000/4000.  We just introduced the 3000/4000 in January.  3-4 months will put us in April/May which aligns with the R&D team's expectations as well.  Of course that could change (faster/slower), but on average that is what I expect we'll see.   :-+

-Rich

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
For my uses, the math functions are not as interesting, more/better triggering options would be. What I miss is an event A followed by event B type triggers.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
SDS1204X has better math, so do others. To be closer in performance, the SDS2304 series. There are some things I measure that good intensity grading would be nice, The RTB does not do a great job at it,
Not familiar with the cheaper scopes, but certainly compared to the Keysight, the intensity grading on the RTB definitely has room for improvement - probably just needs some tweaking of the curve. I think an issue is they don't compensate for the effect of the small pixels on avarage intensity - this is a particular issue on digital channels, where the verticals disappear at all but the brightest intensity setting.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
Hi Rich,

So does this mean some of these wishlist items have moved from maybe to plan of record?

Your own words:

I would personally not have any such expectations. Just be pleasantly surprised if they do add some what has been common and basic functions present in low end scopes that are missing.

Lacked there about the irony-tags ...   :palm:

:horse:

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
I don't get your point, there's nothing contradictory here. There has been lots of discussion of what features people think are missing in this scope. There has been talk about some of these things might be considered. If they are now plan of record, that would be a pleasant surprise. So what's the issue??

Hi Rich,

Your own words:

I would personally not have any such expectations. Just be pleasantly surprised if they do add some what has been common and basic functions present in low end scopes that are missing.

Lacked there about the irony-tags ...   :palm:

:horse:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 07:24:14 pm by Joel_l »

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
If they are now plan of record, that would be a pleasant surprise. So what's the issue??

No more issue now.
It's alright, that you've got it, too.  :-+ :clap:  :clap:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 08:36:41 pm by hwj-d »

Offline 0xfede

• Regular Contributor
Hello Rich,

I just spotted another minor bug:
the probe ratio is not restored when loading a setup.

Best,
0xfede
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 12:57:52 pm by 0xfede »
Semel in anno licet insanire.

The following users thanked this post: Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

Offline Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Frequent Contributor
Hello Rich,

I just spotted another minor bug:
the probe ratio is not restored when loading a setup.

Best,
0xfede
Hi 0xfede - I just tried to reproduce this and it seems to be working fine for me, but perhaps my setup was too simple (just changed the attenuation to 1000:1, saved and then reloaded and it was still set at 1000:1) - would you mind PM'ing me how you saw it? 

Thanks.

-Rich

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Hi 0xfede - I just tried to reproduce this and it seems to be working fine for me, but perhaps my setup was too simple (just changed the attenuation to 1000:1, saved and then reloaded and it was still set at 1000:1) - would you mind PM'ing me how you saw it? 

I think you should save, change it (10:1) and then do the restore...
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Frequent Contributor

I think you should save, change it (10:1) and then do the restore...
I did a preset, so it returned to 1:1 before loading the saved setup (but also just tried your suggestion too and it still worked). 

One thing to note - if you have a probe attached (e.g. a passive probe with a sense resistor), it will maintain what the probe setting is (in this case 10:1) even if you try to load a setup with a different attenuation.  Perhaps this is what you're seeing? 

-Rich
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 01:41:46 pm by Rich@RohdeScopesUSA »

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
One thing to note - if you have a probe attached (e.g. a passive probe with a sense resistor), it will maintain what the probe setting is (in this case 10:1) even if you try to load a setup with a different attenuation.  Perhaps this is what you're seeing? 
The 2004 doesn't have probe sensing
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Frequent Contributor
Duh - I’m an idiot.  :-[. I was trying this on my 3000. Sorry folks. I’ll reproduce on my 2000 and submit.

-Rich

Offline 0xfede

• Regular Contributor
Duh - I’m an idiot.  :-[. I was trying this on my 3000. Sorry folks. I’ll reproduce on my 2000 and submit.

-Rich

Well, if to correct this bug you will exchange your 3k for my 2k I will be very happy  ;D

Thanks you for your time.

Best,
0xfede

Offline Ghislain

• Regular Contributor
Rich, I have not immediately found a reference in this thread to what is shown in the link below, may be good to add it to the bug list....
It is easily reproducable.

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
My rtb2004 goes to a state were it only let's my switch on one single channel. As soon as I try to activate another channel the first switches of.
I couldn't find a mention of this "feature" in the manual, nor did a google and forum search turn anything up. It disapears when I boot back with default parameters, still it is very annoying.

Any idea how to switch that off?

Offline 0xfede

• Regular Contributor
My rtb2004 goes to a state were it only let's my switch on one single channel. As soon as I try to activate another channel the first switches of.
I couldn't find a mention of this "feature" in the manual, nor did a google and forum search turn anything up. It disapears when I boot back with default parameters, still it is very annoying.

Any idea how to switch that off?

The only time I saw something similar happening is with QuickMeas enabled. Maybe this is your case?
QuickMeas allows only one channel at a time.

Happy Easter,
0xfede

The following users thanked this post: sixtimesseven

Offline agdr

• Supporter
    • agdr Audio

Haven't forgotten, and as far as I know they are still planned, but as mentioned before, the advanced math will likely be in the summer timeframe.  Not sure on the quick access (could be the next release or perhaps the summer).

In general, I expect new FW updates about every 3-4 months for the 2000/3000/4000.  We just introduced the 3000/4000 in January.  3-4 months will put us in April/May which aligns with the R&D team's expectations as well.  Of course that could change (faster/slower), but on average that is what I expect we'll see.   :-+

-Rich

Well this is good news!  My immediate need for the scope got satisfied last year after receiving it. Has been on the shelf since.  I just discovered the V2.000 FW and installed!  Excellent, some update progress there, reading through the release notes. And Rich you talked Corporate into advanced math, woohoo!! Good work, a huge thanks there. I've read back through the thread a few pages and see the maths package was created for the 3000 and you were able to get a port OKed to the 2004. Slick. :)

I expect to be needing the scope again soon, so looking forward to that summer release. :)

The following users thanked this post: Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

Offline glowman

• Contributor
Hi, just got my RTB2004 (100mhz & all decode option upgraded).  I noticed that if you use I2C decoding, and disconnect the SDA, the scope hangs.  This is reproducible by just using the demo included in the scope.

Just to make sure I did the right thing, here are the steps I did:
- Press "preset" (just to make sure all are in default)
- Under demo, protocols, run I2C
- Connect probes C1 and C2 to P0 and P1 respectively as instructed.
- Adjust trigger level to get proper trigger (scope then shows decoded output)
- After a few seconds (30 seconds or so) disconnect the C2 probe
Whole unit now "hangs". All buttons/presses unresponsive except the soft power button.  Sometimes it won't hang right away but, if you reconnect and disconnect for few times (with natural contact bounce of the probe), it will hang.

Can anyone please test this to verify?  Did I do something wrong? I mean, is it a natural tendency to hang if it's done?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 06:22:03 am by glowman »

The following users thanked this post: hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
Hi, just got my RTB2004 (100mhz & all decode option upgraded).  I noticed that if you use I2C decoding, and disconnect the SDA, the scope hangs.  This is reproducible by just using the demo included in the scope.

Just to make sure I did the right thing, here are the steps I did:
- Press "preset" (just to make sure all are in default)
- Under demo, protocols, run I2C
- Connect probes C1 and C2 to P0 and P1 respectively as instructed.
- Adjust trigger level to get proper trigger (scope then shows decoded output)
- After a few seconds (30 seconds or so) disconnect the C2 probe
Whole unit now "hangs" all buttons/presses unresponsive except the soft power button.  Sometimes it won't hang right away but, if you reconnect and disconnect for few seconds (with natural contact bounce of the probe) it hangs.

Can anyone please test this to verify?  Did I do something wrong? I mean, is it a natural tendency to hang if it's done?

Thanks.
Hi glowman - thanks for posting such a detailed explanation.  This is fixed in the next release (it's tied to ASCII decode).

-Rich

The following users thanked this post: glowman, hwj-d

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor

Thanks.
RTB2002 @70mhz, RTB-B1, RTB-PK1, same issue.

Thanks to you and Rich

The following users thanked this post: glowman

Offline Ghislain

• Regular Contributor
I'm not sure that I understand the R&S bandwidth upgrade pricing either.  It looks like you might pay more to upgrade the BW later?  I'm referencing this options/pricing list:
https://www.testequity.com/products/33440/?pitem=457823

I am having the same question and it has not unfortunately been answered here.
E.g. User has bought the 70 to 100 MHz upgrade (RTB-B241) and now wants to upgrade from 100 MHz to 200 or even 300 MHz, how would that work? Is the licence cost for the 70 MHz to 100 MHz upgrade deducted from the cost to upgrade from 70 MHz to 200 or 300 MHz? Every catalogue item only takes the upgrade starting from 70 MHz into account.
@Rich, can you please clarify this?

• Frequent Contributor
I'm not sure that I understand the R&S bandwidth upgrade pricing either.  It looks like you might pay more to upgrade the BW later?  I'm referencing this options/pricing list:
https://www.testequity.com/products/33440/?pitem=457823

I am having the same question and it has not unfortunately been answered here.
E.g. User has bought the 70 to 100 MHz upgrade (RTB-B241) and now wants to upgrade from 100 MHz to 200 or even 300 MHz, how would that work? Is the licence cost for the 70 MHz to 100 MHz upgrade deducted from the cost to upgrade from 70 MHz to 200 or 300 MHz? Every catalogue item only takes the upgrade starting from 70 MHz into account.
@Rich, can you please clarify this?
I believe the plan is to eventually set up each BW step, but in the meantime, at least in the US, we just discount it out for customers so they only pay for the step needed.

-Rich

The following users thanked this post: Ghislain

Offline ws2812b

• Regular Contributor
Hi Rich, any updates on the firmware? Any goodies in?

• Frequent Contributor
Hi Rich, any updates on the firmware? Any goodies in?
Yes - should be out this week or early next for the 2000.  There are some of the goodies we've talked about (e.g. quick access of the menus being added to the 2000), with some additional ones still planned for the next release - like advanced math (I'm expecting late summer to early fall for that one). 

-Rich

The following users thanked this post: hwj-d, genghisnico13

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf