Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3091600 times)

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #3675 on: December 25, 2015, 03:12:02 am »
Re: Dave Finch...

Must be another Batteroo Supporter!  :)  ROTFL...

Dave, I think you have another account to delete!  :)  LOL

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3676 on: December 25, 2015, 12:16:07 pm »
Anyway this project has failed already big time. They have a product that should appeal to almost every citizen in the world, and from those 7,000,000,000 potential buyers they could only find some 7000 willing to give it a try. VC's will be very disappointed now

Even more now that they have effectively lost their patents.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3677 on: December 25, 2015, 02:17:38 pm »
  Running out of money is their only face-saving option at this point.

Batteroo was out of money before the IGG campaign ever got underway.  There simply is not enough money to meet the commitments without diving into someone's pocket.

Sorry, that should have been in quotes:

"Running out of money" is their only face-saving option at this point.

Yes, it seems unlikely that they're actually manufacturing anything at this point. More likely they're just working on their escape.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #3678 on: December 25, 2015, 04:07:37 pm »
Right, highly unlikely, they must have really bad luck. Wikipedia says that the landslide covered an area of ten hectares, that's 0.1 km^2, and 33 buildings where destroyed. The area of Shenzhen is 2050 km^2, so the landslide affected 0.005 % of it (that's 50 ppm). I couldn't find a list of the buildings, would be interesting if there was any factory at all.

If you multiply the odds of all their excuses you'll get a probabilty lower than a jackpot in a lottery.

Edit: I read their announcement again and it is the same as with their other tricky descriptions: They didn't say that their factory was destroyed by the landslide, which you would assume, but they are using the disaster just as an excuse for the delay. If someone ask them why, they could say everything goes slower in Shenzhen because of the cleanup work etc.

If I would be a backer I'd collect all those tidbits for a class action suit. False claims, misleading reports ...

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3679 on: December 25, 2015, 04:42:15 pm »
If I would be a backer I'd collect all those tidbits for a class action suit. False claims, misleading reports ...

You wouldn't need to, we've collected them all here for you :)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Chipguy

• Supporter
« Reply #3680 on: December 26, 2015, 07:46:40 am »
+++ Breaking news +++ Breaking news +++ Breaking news +++ Breaking news +++ Breaking news +++ Breaking news +++

The news team was able to get a first impression of the massive landslide in Shenzhen, China.
As of now it is unclear how long it will take to repair all the damages to the infrastucture, but it is estimated that deliveries will be delayed by almost one full year. However Batteroo is working hard to deliver the rewards before Christmas 2016.

Where is that smoke coming from?

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3681 on: December 26, 2015, 07:59:27 am »
Yes. they are so predictable...

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline meeder

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3682 on: December 26, 2015, 08:55:21 am »
Yes. they are so predictable...

Alexander.
I can't read the text in the image.

You wouldn't need to, we've collected them all here for you :)

McBryce.

Offline jaxbird

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3683 on: December 26, 2015, 09:01:51 am »
If they can spin till mid Jan then the virtual close of the entire PRC for new years will be that excuse. My guess is they will either be "experiencing a supply chain slowdown due to the Government cracking down on pollution", "The coating is being delayed due to an external subcontractor being late with delivery", " the pcb supplier has experienced an equipment malfunction".
\

that is this shit

Analog Discovery Projects: http://www.thestuffmade.com
Youtube random project videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheStuffMade

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #3684 on: December 26, 2015, 09:05:20 am »
isn't there anything legal that can be done about these scammers, or are the terms of the funraising method that you can end up with nothing ?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3685 on: December 26, 2015, 09:34:45 am »
They are VC, so have some legal fictions they spin. Basically the investors are gambling, though the stuff coming out of Batterpoo is skirting the line between legal advertorial and a pump and dump scheme. If they do go belly up ( better than 90% chance of that) there might be a recourse by the backers, though they did sign many of the rights away in investing in a VC startup, as many do fail.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3686 on: December 26, 2015, 09:35:00 am »
If I would be a backer I'd collect all those tidbits for a class action suit.

People always talk about class action lawsuits about crowd funded projects.
It's not going to happen for a few tens of bucks item, and few hundred $k funding.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #3687 on: December 26, 2015, 09:49:39 am »
The problem with stuff across countries is where is the legal authority to rule based ? it's probably hard suing someone half way across the world.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3688 on: December 26, 2015, 09:54:44 am »
The problem with stuff across countries is where is the legal authority to rule based ? it's probably hard suing someone half way across the world.

It is. And it costs huge amounts of money and time to sue someone in any case.
And there is few if any case law rulings on crowd funding campaigns, so no one has any clue about legalities.
Crowd funding sites usully make it quite clear you are not "purchasing" "goods". You are investing in a company in exchange for a promise of a reward that you specified.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #3689 on: December 26, 2015, 10:06:44 am »
but what batteerizer and many others have done amountes to is a boiler room scam and those are taken seriously. what is needed is for that to be seen and for the same rules to apply with maybe the crowd funder being resposible for persuing them and therefor the crowd funder obtaining access to security from the proposers.

I do peer to peer lending. Any losses are mine to bear. But the mediator of the loans does employ a legal team to persue the debts and hold garantors to account, people don't just ditch and run.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #3690 on: December 26, 2015, 10:23:22 am »
SIMON... sorry, did you mean pursue, or peruse ?!!
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #3691 on: December 26, 2015, 12:12:39 pm »
but what batteerizer and many others have done amountes to is a boiler room scam and those are taken seriously. what is needed is for that to be seen and for the same rules to apply with maybe the crowd funder being resposible for persuing them and therefor the crowd funder obtaining access to security from the proposers.

https://nonprofitquarterly.org/2015/07/02/the-feds-take-action-against-crowdfunding-fraud-and-its-about-time/

Backers should report any fraud! Also if there's no chance to get your money back or it's just about a few bucks, make sure to stop scammers in the future!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 06:11:55 pm by madires »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3692 on: December 26, 2015, 03:05:44 pm »
+++ Breaking news +++ Breaking news +++ Breaking news +++ Breaking news +++ Breaking news +++ Breaking news +++

The news team was able to get a first impression of the massive landslide in Shenzhen, China.
As of now it is unclear how long it will take to repair all the damages to the infrastucture, but it is estimated that deliveries will be delayed by almost one full year. However Batteroo is working hard to deliver the rewards before Christmas 2016.

It was already covered. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but that picture you used is kind of  in bad taste to the victims of that disaster.

Granted, Batteroo using it as an excuse is as bad because most likely  they were not affected directly.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3693 on: December 26, 2015, 04:16:32 pm »
isn't there anything legal that can be done about these scammers, or ...
My personal favorite is: Educate the people.
Optional: If the scam ended up being proved: Expose the "organisators" for being scammers, and expose the "victims" for being stupid.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #3694 on: December 26, 2015, 04:27:02 pm »
isn't there anything legal that can be done about these scammers, or ...
My personal favorite is: Educate the people.
Optional: If the scam ended up being proved: Expose the "organisators" for being scammers, and expose the "victims" for being stupid.
We must be careful.  Just as they are...

There is little doubt that Batteroo are incompetent, arrogant and 'incredibly' unlucky', but to call them scammers is a grey area... and this seems to be what they are playing.

There are a lot of words that fit better, and none of them are complimentary - but until a formal judgement drops - what they are doing is not illegal.  It has very strong elements of questionable conduct, disrespect, dubious morals and other commercial no-no's... but they aren't in this for the long term business, so none of that matters.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 04:29:31 pm by SL4P »
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3695 on: December 26, 2015, 06:07:02 pm »
There is little doubt that Batteroo are incompetent, arrogant and 'incredibly' unlucky', but to call them scammers is a grey area... and this seems to be what they are playing.

There are a lot of words that fit better, and none of them are complimentary - but until a formal judgement drops - what they are doing is not illegal.  It has very strong elements of questionable conduct, disrespect, dubious morals and other commercial no-no's... but they aren't in this for the long term business, so none of that matters.

Watch their videos again...it's obvious they never believed Batteriser works as claimed.

The only question is whether they ever intended to manufacture anything. It now seems obvious they didn't.

(...and why would they waste money on manufacturing something that will cause them problems and make them a laughing stock, 100% guaranteed?)

There's hundreds of people out there waiting for Batterisers to arrive so they can test them, measure the efficiency, plot some curves, etc. I think the Batteriser Brothers decided to have the last laugh.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 06:43:22 pm by Fungus »

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #3696 on: December 26, 2015, 07:51:21 pm »
For the batteriser people:

« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:54:18 pm by Kalvin »

Offline ccs46

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3697 on: December 26, 2015, 08:17:50 pm »
I wonder if the next  delay will be due to "an act of God"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet. - Scott Adams

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3698 on: December 26, 2015, 08:21:22 pm »

Somalian Pirates!

Offline ccs46

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3699 on: December 26, 2015, 08:22:28 pm »

Somalian Pirates!
Cargo Ship sunk by the North Koreans!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet. - Scott Adams

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf