Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3451420 times)

Feliciano, carrascoso and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #2725 on: September 15, 2016, 03:27:43 pm »
the kit comes with older firmware :)

you dont need the small cap, just let the test timeout.
it's only for reading small inductors.

The following users thanked this post: Monroe

Offline flywheelz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2726 on: September 15, 2016, 03:38:09 pm »
Fuses

avrdude -c USBasp -p m328p -U lfuse:w:0xf7:m \-U hfuse:w:0xd9:m \-U efuse:w:0xfc:m

They could have included a 36puff in the kit :(

Monroe

Interesting, I thought 5 top most bits of efuse weren't used on m328p.

I get an error on mine.
Code: [Select]
avrdude: reading input file "0xfc"
avrdude: writing efuse (1 bytes):

Writing |                                                    | 0% 0.00s ***failed;
Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.07s

avrdude: 1 bytes of efuse written
avrdude: verifying efuse memory against 0xfc:
avrdude: load data efuse data from input file 0xfc:
avrdude: input file 0xfc contains 1 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip efuse data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
         0xfc != 0x04
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude: safemode: efuse changed! Was fc, and is now 4

Offline Monroe

• Contributor
« Reply #2727 on: September 15, 2016, 04:02:18 pm »
STJ I see that your a major instigator of this firmware (that's your mark on the firmware right?) if so thanks a bunch for your time and work on the project (and hanging out helping folks implement it)

Looks like a nice bit of kit!

And thanks again to vinceroger for being the first to help me out.

Is there a quick and dirty manual for this model? Not that I really need one but some of the guys that work for me ya know? lol 

An error on fuses could be a bad chip.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #2728 on: September 15, 2016, 04:11:04 pm »
It should be fairly simple to add color coding for the probe/pin numbers. Any more votes for that neat idea?

done (for the next version) :)

The following users thanked this post: all_repair, edavid, bitseeker, flywheelz, Monroe

Offline flywheelz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2729 on: September 15, 2016, 05:13:08 pm »
@madires,

I have the AY-AT with upgraded 16Mhz xtal.  Recompiled "m" with FREQ = 16.  I've noticed something bizarre.  Testing 334k cap I get matching 330nF/0.45 \$\Omega\$ readings just as "k" reports.  However, with 224k cap, "m" says 215nF/2.27 \$\Omega\$ but "k" says 215nF/0.98 \$\Omega\$.  An error of magnitude of 2.  If I remember correctly, with 8Mhz xtal the readings of 224k cap matched "k".

p.s. Colors  :-+ Can't wait for next version.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 05:17:27 pm by flywheelz »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2730 on: September 15, 2016, 06:31:45 pm »
I have the AY-AT with upgraded 16Mhz xtal.  Recompiled "m" with FREQ = 16.  I've noticed something bizarre.  Testing 334k cap I get matching 330nF/0.45 \$\Omega\$ readings just as "k" reports.  However, with 224k cap, "m" says 215nF/2.27 \$\Omega\$ but "k" says 215nF/0.98 \$\Omega\$.  An error of magnitude of 2.  If I remember correctly, with 8Mhz xtal the readings of 224k cap matched "k".

That's strange. If it would be some timing issue, all ESR measurements should be off by a factor of two. I'll look into it.

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #2731 on: September 15, 2016, 07:04:03 pm »
Thought i'd open my MK-328 and put some pictures up.

Thanks.

Differences with mine are, Green PCB but seems decent quality, no EZM Studios logo on the casing or inside, but exactly the same PCB layout and components.
Looks like a clone of a clone.  Regardless, I still find this unit the best looking and well thought out.  :P
Its easy to replace the ZIF board.  Build quality seem top notch and its design to be able to take some beating :box: 

About to fit a 16mhz Crystal and debating fitting a rotary encoder...
Upgrading the xtal is nice and easy.  As for the encoder, I think its useful if you plan spend a lot  of time in Freq/PWM Gen menus, for everything else a switch does a superb job.

Yeah I'd say it's a clone, but they are all pretty much clones of something so not bothered, PCB is an exact copy, same case, sticker fonts are identical and markings comparing it with another,
so who knows they might all even come out of the same place. Cost me £17 delivered with the ZIF, a lot of listings didn't have a ZIF included which I wanted.

I'll put a the 16mhz in when I get chance, loaded up the makefile today to have a play, will flash it when I fit the crystal.

Nah won't be using the frequency stuff on it, I can manage with the press and hold for the button, just always a case of upgraditis and tinkering, if I had an encoder here I'd put it in but not buying one just for that.

Not sure whether to go K or M firmware though, did see a post on here a while back with differences but I can't find it now  |O Screenshots of both firmwares I have been looking for too.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 07:28:50 pm by TheBay »

Offline flywheelz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2732 on: September 15, 2016, 08:01:29 pm »
I've attached the README included with "m" firmware, created by Markus Reschke aka madires on here.  You can get a taste of what his firmware is like.

The following users thanked this post: TheBay

Offline roli_bark

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2733 on: September 16, 2016, 06:13:35 am »
I've attached the README included with "m" firmware, created by Markus Reschke aka madires on here.  You can get a taste of what his firmware is like.
I see some discussions here mentioning the Atmega644/1284 as options. But I looked for & could find NO kits for it.

And BTW [flywheels] there're minor 2 typos in your 'readme.txt' - 664 should be 644...

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2734 on: September 16, 2016, 10:02:20 am »
I see some discussions here mentioning the Atmega644/1284 as options. But I looked for & could find NO kits for it.

And BTW [flywheels] there're minor 2 typos in your 'readme.txt' - 664 should be 644...

My bad ;) There aren't any ATmega644/1284 kits yet, just the circuit in Karl-Heinz' documentation.

Offline hapless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2735 on: September 16, 2016, 03:40:44 pm »
I hope someone can prove me wrong, but I don't think we can expect any kits based on the ATmega644 series any time soon. It's a shame, but 324 is as good as it will ever get. :( That's because the Chinese cloners are trying to use the minimal part count (how many kits have a zener test circuit built in?). Not many of them will want to add four additional chips and two transistors that are hard if not impossible to find good equivalents of just for the sake of measuring crystals and frequencies, and they won't bother trying to understand which parts of the circuit can be safely removed. Not to mention that the processor itself is more expensive. It would have been better to publish a more bare-bones version of the circuit. That would've looked more attractive to them. Then the rest could have been shown as an add-on.

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #2736 on: September 16, 2016, 03:43:27 pm »
I hope someone can prove me wrong, but I don't think we can expect any kits based on the ATmega644 series any time soon. It's a shame, but 324 is as good as it will ever get. :( That's because the Chinese cloners are trying to use the minimal part count (how many kits have a zener test circuit built in?). Not many of them will want to add four additional chips and two transistors that are hard if not impossible to find good equivalents of just for the sake of measuring crystals and frequencies, and they won't bother trying to understand which parts of the circuit can be safely removed. Not to mention that the processor itself is more expensive. It would have been better to publish a more bare-bones version of the circuit. That would've looked more attractive to them. Then the rest could have been shown as an add-on.

I'm still waiting for a "kit" or "bare" 324 one to come up.

If the source is there for the 644 it won't be difficult to knock one up ourselves to be honest.

Offline hapless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2737 on: September 16, 2016, 03:51:37 pm »
The schematic is shown in the manual. I'm not a fan of all the jumpers, this being an MCU-based circuit.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2738 on: September 16, 2016, 04:03:05 pm »
jumpers?

Offline hapless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2739 on: September 16, 2016, 04:14:48 pm »
Have a look at the attached image.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2740 on: September 16, 2016, 05:34:50 pm »
i wouldnt even bother with the frequency counter circuit.

i have an 8digit 2.5GHz counter from china that cost the same as the component tester!

Offline hapless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2741 on: September 16, 2016, 05:41:01 pm »
[...]

Ditto. I'm just saying that the way the circuit is presented at the moment, no Chinese cloner will want to try to implement it.

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2742 on: September 17, 2016, 03:46:30 am »
[...]

Ditto. I'm just saying that the way the circuit is presented at the moment, no Chinese cloner will want to try to implement it.

It is the business decision for them to make as they are taking the full risk on the volume run, inventory and betting that the sale will be there for some profit on this low price device to the hobbyists.  Anyone can go there and bet their money to chunk out a  version they think that can sell better.  For me, I am thankful that someone had taken the trouble and the risks to make this tester at a price that I can afford to buy a few.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 03:48:40 am by all_repair »

Offline belzrebuth

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2743 on: September 17, 2016, 07:07:32 am »
Has anyone compared the transistor tester's accuracy regarding ESR measurements against the popular DER-EE DE-5000?

I mainly got the tester for testing ESR and vloss of capacitors but I'm thinking I should also buy the de-5000 for more accurate measurements.
I can't dispute the testers' readings since I only have that and nothing to compare it to.

If someone did a comparison and proved these instruments are close I could make do with just the tester for now since most capacitors I end up checking are suspicious anyways and therefore get replaced regardless of the readings.
But I'd love to see/read a comparison.

There was a youtube video I stumbled upon comparing four capacitor test devices including the tester and de-5000 but I believe the comparison was somewhat invalid since the tester was measuring at 100Hz and the DE-5000 at 120Hz.(if I remember correctly)

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2744 on: September 17, 2016, 09:43:42 am »
there was a comparison done with some other testers, it may have been on the other forum if it's not in this thread.

Offline flywheelz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2745 on: September 17, 2016, 06:52:42 pm »
Here is one post with comparing k to m to Agilent U1733C (@10kHz).
Link

The following users thanked this post: TheBay

Offline belzrebuth

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2746 on: September 17, 2016, 11:19:45 pm »
I think I'll get a de-5000 anyways because it can do other stuff as well but I wanted to see if anyone bothered to compare it with a "proper" instrument.

From the post above it seems to perform well enough for straight capacitance.

I already tested some good (new) and bad caps and measurements seemed to be in the ballpark I guess, although I don't have anything other than a DMM and datasheets (for the new caps) to compare it to..

Overall I'm quite happy with this little gadget;for its price it's certainly a must have for anyone.

Offline flywheelz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2747 on: September 18, 2016, 12:47:32 am »
I think I'll get a de-5000 anyways because it can do other stuff as well but I wanted to see if anyone bothered to compare it with a "proper" instrument.

From the post above it seems to perform well enough for straight capacitance.

I already tested some good (new) and bad caps and measurements seemed to be in the ballpark I guess, although I don't have anything other than a DMM and datasheets (for the new caps) to compare it to..

Overall I'm quite happy with this little gadget;for its price it's certainly a must have for anyone.

Not sure if you've seen this video about the DE-5000 and what it can do. <Link>  WARNING: The information contained in this video could cause a person to go  :scared:

If you do decide to do a comparison, I would love to see it.

Offline hapless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2748 on: September 18, 2016, 02:23:19 am »
[...]
WARNING: The information contained in this video could cause a person to go  :scared:
[...]

Especially when someone concedes that we're not living in the real world (at about 53:29)!  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: flywheelz

Offline Kosti

« Reply #2749 on: September 18, 2016, 12:38:23 pm »
Apology for the noob 1st post but I am a little confused on which fleabay item to purchased and which FW is to be used  :-//

I am looking for mainly an "in circuit ESR meter" to check caps on a GPU graphics card so am wondering what is the best method or unit to build or buy since there are a number of ESR options

[1]Grab this one from ebay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172230778097?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
[2]Build one that I like from Jay_Diddy_B as there are 2 that I like but in particular the DMM
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/5-transistor-esr-meter-design/
or
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/esr-meter-adapter-design-and-construction/150/
I believe there may have been a possibility for a kit from Jay but not seen any update for a while
[3]Grab this one from banggood http://www.banggood.com/it/DIY-M12864-Graphics-Version-Transistor-Tester-Kit-LCR-ESR-PWM-p-986954.html
[4]Get this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221923378500?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT but do not think this is capable of in circuit testing

Ideally if this project thread there is some great support so I am keen on an AIO unit, but again I am just not sure which what I should go and didnt want to bump older threads hence my query now in this thread

Any guidance is appreciated

PEACE
Kosti

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf