Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3452985 times)

Fuzzy Star, Pilot Error and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Willem52

• Regular Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #3525 on: May 01, 2017, 04:42:22 pm »
A good start is half the work...
Like Google, Wikipedia can be a good companion to search in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Peripheral_Interface_Bus
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:53:39 am by Willem52 »

The following users thanked this post: rabbi_josiah

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3526 on: May 01, 2017, 05:55:44 pm »
It starts about here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/2050/

Willem,

When there is punctuation or other symbols, such as a dollar sign, in a URL, the forum gets confused when making it into a link. To fix it, edit the post and move the URL's end tag [/url] to the correct location (after the final slash).

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/2050/

To prevent the error when initially writing a post, select the URL with your mouse and then click the Insert Hyperlink button (looks like a globe with a document in front of it). That will explicitly set the URL start and end tags around the selection so that the forum can't mess it up.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Willem52, rabbi_josiah

Offline rabbi_josiah

• Contributor
« Reply #3527 on: May 01, 2017, 07:43:19 pm »
excellent post reminding me of the url language problem hyperlinking with certain html or swhtml so thanks for the intel

Offline rabbi_josiah

• Contributor
« Reply #3528 on: May 01, 2017, 07:46:15 pm »
 |O
 :-//
WOW as a computer nerd should have known that none wow getting old :-BROKE i not for sissys right  :palm:

Offline Gino_09

• Contributor
« Reply #3529 on: May 02, 2017, 08:41:44 pm »
Is possible add Ir reciver function like chinese firm on m or k firmware? Thanks.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #3530 on: May 03, 2017, 09:34:25 am »
From the m-firmware's README file:

Supported protocols:
  - JVC
  - Kaseikyo (aka Japanese Code, 48 bit)
  - Matsushita/Emerson
  - Motorola
  - NEC (standard & extended)
  - RC-5 (standard)
  - RC-6 (standard)
  - Samsung (32 bit Toshiba)
  - Sharp
  - Sony SIRC (12, 15 & 20 bit)

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3531 on: May 03, 2017, 10:48:29 am »
have anyone seen any of the testers with atmega644 or 1280?
or pcb's available?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3532 on: May 03, 2017, 12:55:48 pm »
One of the clones got an ATmega 324, but I haven't seen any with a 644 or 1284. There's a PCB for the 644 circuit in Karl-Heinz's documentation (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4yqyYy2DaakZzBVU3JDSXB6S1E) and I've posted the schematic for a 644/1284 dev board a few weeks ago. If anyone is interested in the dev board I could post the KiCad files (optimized for DYI, mostly through-hole, no onboard display but easy to add).

Offline hapless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3533 on: May 04, 2017, 05:55:02 am »
I've accidentally found something that I thought might be interesting. Velleman is, apparently, selling something that can identify, and I quote, "SCR, JFET, E-IGBT, D-IGBT, E-MOS, D-MOS, resistor, coil, capacitor, diode, transistor." Sound familiar? But it's an option for one of their portable DSOs, apparently. Looks like k firmware from the picture.

Here it is: https://www.vellemanprojects.eu/products/view/?id=435690

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #3534 on: May 04, 2017, 05:59:05 am »
whaou ... and the display is quite well ... loking the same as something we already know ... no ? ;)

Offline FatuousJeffrey

• Supporter
« Reply #3535 on: May 04, 2017, 07:54:19 pm »
Hey all.  First post.

Has anyone been able to build firmware that works with this color tester by Fish8840? I added the 6 pin header and am able to read and write flash with no problems.  Just can't seem to find a combination that works with this one.

I'm also looking for a backup of the original firmware. I seem to have misplaced mine  :-//

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 07:56:21 pm by FatuousJeffrey »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3536 on: May 05, 2017, 10:40:56 am »
In the trunk directory (k-firmware) of the repo are the hex files for the older version with a ST7565 based display (mega328_fish8840 and mega328_fish8840_OC). I'd guess the color display is a ST7735.

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #3537 on: May 05, 2017, 01:04:13 pm »
Hi everybody. I'm having a problem with the kit I just assembled. It's reading a reasonably large capacitance (hundreds of microfarads) most of the time, with nothing connected, and also behaving erratically some of the time. The firmware version is listed in "show data" as 1.12k.

Once I got it all put together (apart from the ZIF socket, because I think I want to change its pinout first), I powered it up using a bench power supply set to 8.8 V to make sure it worked. It turned on just fine, but showed a capacitor connected. I don't remember for sure now, but I think it was shown as between 1 and 3. I restarted it many times and reran the transistor test and C+ESR@TP1:3 test through the menu many times as well. Every time, it showed a reasonably large capacitor, with a seemingly random value usually around 200–300 ?F, but sometimes as low as 90 ?F or as high as 700 ?F. Sometimes it was between 1 and 3, sometimes between 2 and 3. I don't remember seeing it between 1 and 2. About half the time, it also listed a Vloss value, ranging from 0.7% to 14% IIRC. The included 220 nF calibration capacitor didn't seem to have any effect—it's much smaller than the random variation between the readings. (With the ZIF socket not yet installed, I was putting it into the holes and holding it at an angle so it made contact.)

I ran the calibration procedure ("selftest") and it measured the 220 nF capacitor fine there (as 210 nF), but back in normal testing, it was the same as before.

I tried running it using another bench power supply, suspecting noisy power, and it worked correctly about 40% of the time. I then tried an alkaline 9 V battery that was working fine in another (non-graphical) tester, and it still read erroneously (though I only tried it once, and then considered the noise idea disproven, so put the battery back where it came from). I also tried swapping in the chip from the non-graphical tester, but it uses a different LCD interface (as well as the LCD being non-graphical), so it didn't show anything onscreen.

Around the time I put the correct chip back in, it started behaving strangely. Specifically, it would start up straight into the menu, then exit the menu back to the transistor test, go into the menu on its own, advance menu item on its own, and go back and forth between menu and frequency generator on its own (when I was trying to test the FG). I suspected a faulty switch in the encoder, but I haven't tested for that yet. It seems to have stopped that behavior now. Actually, it seemed kind of like it did that more the more it had been powered on/used recently.

The board is still a bit messy with flux residue, but I don't see how that could cause false readings of large capacitance. Wrong resistance readings, sure, but it doesn't seem to see resistance as dominant unless I short the terminals. I also looked at the circuitry between the terminals and the microcontroller, and it looks like there are only some resistors between them, certainly no large and failing capacitors.
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3538 on: May 05, 2017, 01:49:15 pm »
Please re-check the probe circuit including the test resistors. Someone else had strange readings too and he found that his PCB had a bridge between two inputs (poor etching by the PCB manufacturer).

Offline hapless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3539 on: May 05, 2017, 11:41:23 pm »
And someone else found the wonders of acid flux and just how badly it can mess things up when used to assemble measurement instruments. Clean that flux residue.

Offline sarahMCML

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3540 on: May 06, 2017, 02:59:12 am »
PointyOintment
The same advice would seem to carry over to solder with 'water wash' flux. I built the same unit as you a few days ago, and although it worked fine on resistors, diodes and transistors, capacitors were way out!
What gave me a clue to my fix was the spurious 5-6Mohm resistance values that were appearing between the unused terminal and one or other of the caps terminals. The idea of strays made me check the solder type, since it was a reel I'd been given and hardly used before. Sure enough, it was the type that needed to have the water soluble flux removed!
A careful scrub with warm water and a toothbrush under the tap (on the solder side only), and a couple of hours in the oven at 80C did the trick and it now works a treat!

Offline pepe10000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3541 on: May 06, 2017, 04:12:32 pm »
Good news.

In revision 728 of the "k" firmware on my LCR-T4-H, low value resistor measurement starts to work fine again.

Most of the time it shows the correct value of the resistance.

Only a few times it marks resistance + inductance + capacity + frequency at the same time as passed the revisions 722-723-725.

Every day I like these little gadgets more.

A greeting.

P.S. If Karl reads this post or someone wants to let you know it would be fine if he adds a space to line 351 of the Transistortester.h file to show the better version ("Version 1.13k").

The following users thanked this post: carrascoso

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3542 on: May 11, 2017, 11:27:58 am »
Hi, madires! I made the new big test of measurement of inductance. Photos can be watched here http://vrtp.ru/index.php?showtopic=26994&view=findpost&p=704718 . For AY-AT(20MHz crystall) of a clone I changed settings of the inductor.c file. Also the enkoder works with the "define ENCODER_PULSES 2" setup better.
The question - is a problem with measurement of big inductance (Henry), it gives in to the decision? :D :-+
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 11:30:25 am by indman »

The following users thanked this post: madires, elecdonia

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3543 on: May 12, 2017, 04:54:26 am »
I know it probably was discussed somewhere on this thread: If I'm not interested in Frequency measurement or signal generation, what is the difference between using 8, 16, or 20MHz when testing components besides being faster?
I have the crystals  :-//

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3544 on: May 12, 2017, 06:02:54 am »
Hi, madires!
I have a question - whether it is possible to add an inductance icon on the display on the right how it is made for transistors or thyristors?  :D

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #3545 on: May 12, 2017, 06:27:59 am »
being somewhat lazy, I don't want to search throught the 140+ pages of this thread ...
is there some repository where I can get the different firmwares with their caracteristics ?
right now I'm searching for the zener measuring option that seems to exists ?
thanks.

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3546 on: May 12, 2017, 07:00:04 am »
You need a circuit modification to test Zener diodes of more than 4 Volts as described in the manual page 12 :) or you can purchase one that has the capability:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCR-T6-TFT-Transistor-Tester-Zener-Diode-Triode-Detector-Capacitance-Meter-8C0E-/401011374698?hash=item5d5e23fa6a:g:NOoAAOSwhcJWH4yh
 :)

The following users thanked this post: kripton2035

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3547 on: May 12, 2017, 10:19:15 am »
The question - is a problem with measurement of big inductance (Henry), it gives in to the decision?

I've tested inductors up to 150mH, don't have any higher values.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 10:23:40 am by madires »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3548 on: May 12, 2017, 10:23:10 am »
I know it probably was discussed somewhere on this thread: If I'm not interested in Frequency measurement or signal generation, what is the difference between using 8, 16, or 20MHz when testing components besides being faster?
I have the crystals  :-//

Faster display output, especially for color displays, slighty lower range limit for inductors and other time related measurements.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3549 on: May 12, 2017, 10:25:46 am »
being somewhat lazy, I don't want to search throught the 140+ pages of this thread ...
is there some repository where I can get the different firmwares with their caracteristics ?
right now I'm searching for the zener measuring option that seems to exists ?
thanks.

And my lazy answer ;) https://github.com/svn2github/transistortester

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf