Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3452117 times)

Offline N1cho

• Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #3825 on: July 31, 2017, 10:33:02 am »
1.29M compilated with zener activated (voltage) for 8-16-20 mhz
seems to measure with some wrong offset (mine showed 9.9V for 9V input!!) haven't time to dig the voltage issue;anyway others seems fine (rcl,transistors).
if fact the only modif was zener activation,i never use this,just put my supply in crt limitation and a in-rush res and see the zener on my fluke,the 328 is for semiconductors and capacitors/inductances
next time i'll let you pay with winavr or another compiler,it's really easy
the 20 mhz is tested on my ay-at
regards,pierre
Thanks i'll try it again...

Anyway... Anyone knows what does the ic svr5-04 do... My other unit which i mentioned above that is dead.. point out to that ic.. that fail.. making 9012, 7550 9014 to heat up...

Thanks

Sent from my E39 using Tapatalk

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
« Reply #3826 on: July 31, 2017, 11:40:12 am »
Anyone knows what does the ic svr5-04 do... My other unit which i mentioned above that is dead.. point out to that ic.. that fail.. making 9012, 7550 9014 to heat up...
Thanks

It is a protection. Remove it and try the tester again. I would not bother replaciing it.
I much prefer the relay protection.
It will work or you will move to the next faulty component :)

Mauro

Offline N1cho

• Contributor
« Reply #3827 on: July 31, 2017, 12:01:46 pm »
Anyone knows what does the ic svr5-04 do... My other unit which i mentioned above that is dead.. point out to that ic.. that fail.. making 9012, 7550 9014 to heat up...
Thanks

It is a protection. Remove it and try the tester again. I would not bother replaciing it.
I much prefer the relay protection.
It will work or you will move to the next faulty component :)

Mauro
Thanks for your replay.

I have remove it. yet.. the LCD only turn on if the rotary switch is press..  lcd all white, led not on..  those below the led ,9012, 9014 ,7550. Heat up...

After the svr5-04 remove must i solder across or leave it?

All other components have been tested.. the 328p ic tested fine on other unit..

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
« Reply #3828 on: July 31, 2017, 01:25:57 pm »
Remove the microcontroller. If you know it is working, try to fix everything else before placing it.
Check the Led (also the orientation if you have removet to test it) and assuming we are talking about the attached schematic, remove D3.
It is another protection that could be damaged, again I would not bother replacing it.
While you press the encoder, measure VBat (see the label on the schematic), if it is OK, measure the voltage on pin 7 of the microcontroller socket.
Mauro

Offline hapless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3829 on: July 31, 2017, 05:49:24 pm »
@N1cho:
Maybe it's time to break out your continuity tester. ...because this can happen:

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #3830 on: July 31, 2017, 06:02:21 pm »
Quote from: N1cho
Anyone know what does the ic svr5-04 do...
Post from page 150
I have remove it. yet.. the LCD only turn on if the rotary switch is press..  lcd all white, led not on..  those below the led ,9012, 9014 ,7550. Heat up...
Check to see if you have the same problem of a bridged connection as the image shows from a member on page 133 of this thread.
(Image attached)
There have also been circumstances where the SVR05 chip was attached backwards by the supplier.
After the svr5-04 remove must i solder across or leave it?
Leave it.
The chip was mentioned in posts on pages 108, and 126, as well. Someone also had a blank screen from a similar AY-AT clone on page 90-91.
Edited to remove pictures as mentioned in following post. (Sorry, pictures are the easiest thing for me to access quickly at the moment. I'm trying to consolidate a lot of information I've taken from here.
Note: I'm working on several subjects at once but I hope to have an AY-AT 'everything we know' guide up soon.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 12:14:34 am by jakeisprobably »

Offline hapless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3831 on: July 31, 2017, 10:58:12 pm »
jakeisprobably, that's a good answer, but I hope you never blow up any of my posts like that. Individual posts are easily linked to on this forum and do not require a huge screenshot that does not automatically collapse  and causes lots of unnecessary scrolling.

The following users thanked this post: Willem52, jakeisprobably

Offline N1cho

• Contributor
« Reply #3832 on: August 03, 2017, 03:10:57 pm »
Thanks for all the help guys.. thank you very much.. after removing both protection finally my dead module came alive...

Now it's time to make a good casing for it...

I decided to use a step up and  so that i can use power bank to power it up instead of putting 2 li-on battery and a charger to charge...

Once again thanks...

Nicho

The following users thanked this post: mauroh

Offline AnthLion

« Reply #3833 on: August 03, 2017, 07:39:19 pm »
Just received a "2017 M328" LCR using the AT-AY rotary encoder from a seller on aliexpress. Seems like the PCB fabricator for this board has better quality than the one with the PCB short from the video. The silk screen is slightly different, notice a different customer ID# and space between the part names "P6KE6V8" and "104". Verified by continuity test on DMM that there is no signal between the 5V line and the SMD capacitor. Also verified there the 5V line coming into lane "1" is closed (not an open trace).

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #3834 on: August 04, 2017, 06:48:29 pm »
Just received a "2017 M328" LCR using the AT-AY....
 ...notice a different customer ID#
How do you know the "K" number is a "customer ID?" Is there any information on this or does someone know who is manufacturing this PCB?
Reversed SRV5-04 chips have been found on multiple boards with different "K" numbers. The bridged connection appears to be a bit of a fluke from 1 member IIRC. It was on a PCB with the most common number marking "K103603BS."
 I haven't seen a pattern of problems that relate to the numbers I have notes on so far:
K108783BSJH
K134443BSJH
K103603BS
K120263BSJH
K131211BSJH
 One board mentioned didn't have AY-AT printed, it was only marked 2578-AT, and a couple oddballs have the "K" number in a different location. One member here appears to have received a blank microcontroller but his final solution was not documented.
 In my opinion, the problems people have found are simply related to a lack of quality control measures by the manufacturer as it is cheaper to use the consumer/retailer for a QC department. The issues seem fairly typical of any mass produced product.

The following users thanked this post: CustomEngineerer

Offline AnthLion

« Reply #3835 on: August 05, 2017, 05:05:08 am »
How do you know the "K" number is a "customer ID?" Is there any information on this or does someone know who is manufacturing this PCB?
Sorry, none. When I was writing this up I had just gone through thinking about creating a prototype PCB through a batch PCB fabricator. I was just reading that they would put some ID number on my boards so they know which boards go with which orders. I should have just said "noticed a different ID".

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #3836 on: August 06, 2017, 06:34:33 am »
What am I missing for a complete list of displays that relate to the firmware options? See any corrections I should make? :scared:

Edit: I came across the New Haven Display website with one of the best visual references that shows what screens are available that work with a specific driver. If someone wants to build their own design or whatnot this is an interesting reference. You can search by driver on their site. (No affiliation)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 06:55:42 am by jakeisprobably »

The following users thanked this post: JoeO

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #3837 on: August 06, 2017, 10:38:57 am »
... also ILI9341/ILI9342, PCD8544 (Nokia 3310/5110) and ST7920.

The following users thanked this post: jakeisprobably

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #3838 on: August 06, 2017, 07:47:08 pm »
... also ILI9341/ILI9342, PCD8544 (Nokia 3310/5110) and ST7920.
  (ILI9341/ILI9342/ST7920) These were (last night)/are currently driving me crazy!!
I am having trouble finding where they came from/who has used them on a Transistor Tester project. I've even joined a couple of extra forums just to search through their threads. If anyone has an example or knows of a clone that uses one of these controllers that I may have overlooked please let me know. I thought someone on the badcaps forum had a ST7920 but I wasn't clear on what they had... even after reading about 10 pages.

I think skipping them was my poor attempt at sweeping them under the lazy rug. The last Nokia option was an honest mistake.
  There are many different screens and breakout board options that support these LCD controllers. I'm hesitant to show a visual identification image that is not relevant to most people.... I probably need to separate these options by Clones vs DIY options.

BTW What happened to this:
Just soldered a display adapter board for an ILI9342 based display with touch screen :) Let's see if I'm able to add touch screen support to the firmware.
  I didn't see any follow up info after this post (because I have tunnel vision). Hopefully it's not a touchy subject??

Edit: stupid me....I should have done another search for "touch screen instead of sticking to the context of a ILI9342 search...
- Mr Wumbus
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 08:54:58 pm by jakeisprobably »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3839 on: August 06, 2017, 08:56:41 pm »
I think skipping them was my poor attempt at sweeping them under the lazy rug. The last Nokia option was an honest mistake. There are many different screens and breakout board options that support these LCD controllers. I'm hesitant to show a visual identification image that is not relevant to most people.... I probably need to separate these options by Clones vs DIY options.

That seems to be a good idea. Just as a side note, the next m-firmware version will support a 180° display rotation for the ST7920. All done in software since the ST7920 is a PITA and doesn't support different addressing modes like other controllers do.

BTW What happened to this:
Just soldered a display adapter board for an ILI9342 based display with touch screen :) Let's see if I'm able to add touch screen support to the firmware.
  I didn't see any follow up info after this post. Hopefully it's not a touchy subject??

A very touchy subject ;) in case you got a display with touch screen, an ADS7843 compatible touch controller, and an ATmega 324/644/1284 based tester running v1.29m. It works quite well. Any bets on how long it will take for the clone manufacturers to add touch screens?

The following users thanked this post: jakeisprobably

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3840 on: August 07, 2017, 02:09:26 am »
A very touchy subject ;)

Hehe, very punny.

Any bets on how long it will take for the clone manufacturers to add touch screens?

Probably once their inventory runs low on the current versions such as the recent AY-AT variations. Maybe next year?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline N1cho

• Contributor
« Reply #3841 on: August 07, 2017, 02:37:59 am »
A touch screen on such a small lcd i don't think so.... If it's bigger might be.. but  does it come handy if it's a touch screen?

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #3842 on: August 07, 2017, 06:02:21 am »
..does it come (in) handy if it's a touch screen?
Blackberry stock hasn't done so well...seems we all prefer scratching at a screen. The original transistor tester design is 1 button. A rotary encoder is the functional equivalent of a screen swipe left or right.
  I think it really comes down to how fast and fluid the work flow happens. The screens are probably out growing the MCU's ability to keep up.
    Personally I'd rather see development on the V2 front. In particular I think the new platform would benefit from a modular approach where the simplicity of the original is maintained on a basic design. This basic platform could be expanded as the hobbyist becomes more comfortable and wants to add additional features, but I have no idea about these things.

Any bets on how long it will take for the clone manufacturers to add touch screens?
I don't know, but I guarantee it will have a unique and recognizable name like TT GM328...
Get the latest GM328 "Touch Tester."
   Although the nomenclature issue is easy to remedy. We just need to name them ourselves with a little intuitive cleverness and quit using the names given by $.99 bulk sellers on the web... EZMoney... Money Booster... Old Yeller.... Big Tee... little tee... Fish... Fish 'n a Box...
my personal fav= Bat-Van
  everyone should have their own Bat-Van
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:47:41 am by jakeisprobably »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3843 on: August 07, 2017, 10:06:40 am »
A touch screen on such a small lcd i don't think so.... If it's bigger might be.. but  does it come handy if it's a touch screen?

It really works fine with a 2.4 inch display. Instead of adding icons I've simply defined fixed areas acting as buttons. So you got left, right, top, bottom and center, while top and left got the same function at the moment (same for bottom and right). The center area is a software version of the test button. It also has a speed-up feature similar to the turning speed of a rotary encoder when you keep touching the same area. I think the next step would be voice control ;D

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3844 on: August 07, 2017, 01:56:43 pm »
I think the next step would be voice control ;D

Voice control is sooooo last year.   We want Mind Control... with the WIWIWIG (What I Want Is What I Get) interface.  I tested a scope with a WIWIWIG interface.  It didn't work quite as expected... all I got was pictures of nekid supermodels on the screen.

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #3845 on: August 09, 2017, 11:43:57 pm »
I have created an image index of the history of the mikrocontroller.net TT thread. I hope this is a useful reference tool for you, or at least something interesting.The video is none monotized. I am not in a position to promote or sell you anything.
https://youtu.be/ySPnq4LY3zo

This is my 4th image index. The following are the 3 I made for the
EEVBlog Transistor Tester Thread
Part 1 of 3
https://youtu.be/on1ZrWNt2Us
Part 2 of 3
https://youtu.be/RRJ5K752d18
Part 3 of 3
https://youtu.be/1ARlc1BHLUw
I did not include every single picture from the mikrocontroller thread, but I did my best to represent all projects. There are 238 images in the video from pages 1-10 of the thread.
All the best, -Jake.

The following users thanked this post: madires, denimdragon

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3846 on: August 10, 2017, 01:05:19 am »
Thanks, Jake. It was fun "flipping" through them.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline scottie4442

• Supporter
« Reply #3847 on: August 10, 2017, 02:17:18 am »
trying to build an m1284 version of this.  I have looked at Karl-Heinz schematic/pcb stuff for this but when I try to upload them to OshPark to have the boards made it says that there is no board outline file. I do not schematic software and no experience with board layout, I can assemble them and I am ok with reading a schematic. I have three of the m328 versions with the m-firmware installed and wanted some more of the options. thanks for any help on this.

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #3848 on: August 10, 2017, 02:46:03 am »
Thanks, Jake. It was fun "flipping" through them.
But wait there's more... The Russian forum is over 400 pages long. That's where the infamous "Nick L" resides. There's another interesting 50 pages over on the Slovak forum with Tom666. I've also tracked down several other cool references and side projects. This really changes ones perspective on things... or at least it changed mine.
   Page 8 on the mikrocontroller forum is where most of the magic happened. 1/3 of all images are from that page.

Some other interesting references and hybrid projects you will need an English translation app to read:
http://qsl.net/yo6pir/super.html
http://www.o28.sischa.net/bauteiltester/trac/
http://c2.at.ua/forum/2-2-1
http://members.upc.hu/lethanh.hung/LCFESRmero/en/index.htm
Most of those are pre-KH projects based around or related to Markus Frejek's original.
  I find these hybrids fascinating
... I'm way too deep in this rabbit hole  :scared:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 03:10:32 am by jakeisprobably »

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #3849 on: August 10, 2017, 03:04:48 am »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf