Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3452577 times)

Offline ncclabs

Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #4225 on: November 29, 2017, 07:42:56 am »
Welcome to the forum, ncclabs. That's a nice clean "case." I'd probably mount the top PCB higher so that the ribbon cable on the LCD could be covered. It'd give it some protection and look cleaner.

Thank you for your comment, when finished the product will consist of 4 PCB (currently only 2 PCB)

Offline progrock

• Contributor
« Reply #4226 on: November 29, 2017, 08:27:39 am »
I finally got all my parts, and got around to start building this thing... I've been using the diagrams in this post: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg1295664/#msg1295664

The post says that C13 should be 22nF.... while the board says "104"... 100nF.  I'm guessing the 22nF is probably correct.... hopefully I can salvage one from somewhere else.... but can anyone confirm this?

Offline Willem52

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4227 on: November 29, 2017, 09:51:53 am »
I use the "original" value of "104" (0.1uF) and it works just fine with it.

Offline doc sylver

« Reply #4228 on: November 29, 2017, 01:46:33 pm »
Hello,
I built this montage and I wonder how to put the menu in French?
I saw on the github language files, but I do not know how to change the language?
Could you help me ?.
A big thank you in advance.

Offline progrock

• Contributor
« Reply #4229 on: November 29, 2017, 02:16:10 pm »
OK, cool.  BTW, is there any "re-wiring" needed? or just need to replace those few parts... Crystal (16mhz), vref, v regulator, the 6 resistors...

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #4230 on: November 29, 2017, 05:22:25 pm »
I built this montage and I wonder how to put the menu in French?
I saw on the github language files, but I do not know how to change the language?
Could you help me ?.

For the k-firmware set your preferred language in the Makefile, e.g. LANG_FRANCAIS.

The following users thanked this post: doc sylver

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4231 on: November 29, 2017, 05:24:59 pm »
OK, cool.  BTW, is there any "re-wiring" needed? or just need to replace those few parts... Crystal (16mhz), vref, v regulator, the 6 resistors...

The LDO and the voltage reference might have a different pinout. Besides that you can simply swap the parts. And re-compile the firmware for 16MHz.

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #4232 on: December 02, 2017, 02:47:30 pm »
Complete circuit retraced (not just the power circuit)
https://youtu.be/LHoMMMbiSXo

The final schematic pdf is available on my GitHub page asTT-Clone-littlet2.pdf
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 02:51:37 pm by jakeisprobably »

The following users thanked this post: madires, bitseeker, The Soulman

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4233 on: December 02, 2017, 03:02:01 pm »
Quick update on the m-firmware development. The ILI9163 displays have arrived and are working fine after fixing some minor issues. The  SSD1306 OLEDs are expected to be delivered next week. The indicator for a selected menu item got color support. The same for selected parameters in a few tools. I'm working on a new feature (top secret :) ) and hope that I get it done until xmas.

The following users thanked this post: jct, jakeisprobably

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #4234 on: December 02, 2017, 05:47:12 pm »
@madires
Noted. Your adding the ILI9163.

Looking through your code I don't see any references to the KS0108/NT7108 LCD driver. I assume you do not want to support these displays? These are the two that require 8 bit parallel connections and a 74HC164 or 74HC595 to reduce the IO pins required. It's a shame the KS0108 doesn't have an SPI interface. I haven't tried the ST7920 with a transistor tester yet, but after running a test Arduino sketch on it, I learned about the lack of a memory buffer on the driver IC. I imagine that display really limits the code size for the project. How bad is this display in practice? Is it limited to the basic circuit function only?

BTW I have been going through the 'how to program the device on Linux' section of KH's PDF over the last couple of weeks. I rewrote the whole section although I'm still going to modify the part about serial programming/ArduinoISP. I'm also going to try to hook up an old Windows PC to go through everything again to document. I sent the Linux text to KH already, but the simple text is also available on my GitHub page. I don't know if KH will modify the PDF but I tried. It's basically my personal notes from trying to develop a video guide one of these days. ;)

Offline doc sylver

« Reply #4235 on: December 02, 2017, 05:52:03 pm »
hello madires,
thank you for your answer, it works , me has read it in the doc and I already had try, but unsuccessfully.
I have just brought up to date some files of WINAVR and there, this walks, perhaps also an error of me?.
Still thank you and good day.
Doc Sylver.
(excuse me for my bad english  ;))
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 05:56:03 pm by doc sylver »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4236 on: December 02, 2017, 06:30:32 pm »
Looking through your code I don't see any references to the KS0108/NT7108 LCD driver. I assume you do not want to support these displays? These are the two that require 8 bit parallel connections and a 74HC164 or 74HC595 to reduce the IO pins required. It's a shame the KS0108 doesn't have an SPI interface.

Nobody has asked for a KS0108 driver so far. If someone likes to sponsor one or two KS0108 displays, please PM me.

I haven't tried the ST7920 with a transistor tester yet, but after running a test Arduino sketch on it, I learned about the lack of a memory buffer on the driver IC. I imagine that display really limits the code size for the project. How bad is this display in practice? Is it limited to the basic circuit function only?

The ST7920 has several buffers. One for a few custom characters (bitmaps), one for the characters and another one for the graphics mode. The big PITA is the addressing in graphics mode, but that doesn't have much impact on the firmware size.

BTW I have been going through the 'how to program the device on Linux' section of KH's PDF over the last couple of weeks. I rewrote the whole section although I'm still going to modify the part about serial programming/ArduinoISP. I'm also going to try to hook up an old Windows PC to go through everything again to document. I sent the Linux text to KH already, but the simple text is also available on my GitHub page. I don't know if KH will modify the PDF but I tried. It's basically my personal notes from trying to develop a video guide one of these days. ;)

I think your notes will help beginners, as programming the firmware is a typical problem for some. So I don't see any reason why Karl-Heinz shouldn't add your notes.

The following users thanked this post: jakeisprobably

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4237 on: December 02, 2017, 07:47:17 pm »

I imagine a step-by-step video of how to identify your particular clone, download the proper firmware for it, and flash it to the tester, would be very useful. Perhaps coverage of the differences between the k and m, to help folks decide which one they want to flash would also be helpful (in the same or separate video).
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: frozenfrogz

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #4238 on: December 02, 2017, 09:10:32 pm »
Step-by-step guide would be awesome! My best case scenario however would be something like https://marlinbuilder.robotfuzz.com/ (3D printer marlin firmware builder).

A simple web interface with drop downs for all the options you want to build into the firmware. This could either generate the needed header files or do the complete build and provide the fully compiled files.
Sadly I am a total noob when it comes to this kind of programming...
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline electricMN

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4239 on: December 03, 2017, 04:19:36 pm »
I picked up this board and was wondering what the latest firmware is for it and where can I find it?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L706PI2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've seen the term "strip grid" used in reference to PC boards. What does that mean?

TIA

Offline Willem52

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4240 on: December 03, 2017, 04:46:04 pm »

The following users thanked this post: electricMN

Offline electricMN

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4241 on: December 03, 2017, 05:31:39 pm »
@Willem52

Thanks, I'll give those files a try.

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #4242 on: December 03, 2017, 09:35:12 pm »
I imagine a step-by-step video of how to identify your particular clone, download the proper firmware for it, and flash it to the tester, would be very useful. Perhaps coverage of the differences between the k and m, to help folks decide which one they want to flash would also be helpful (in the same or separate video).
That's what I've been working on for ages ;)
  I put the AY-AT clone on hold, ordered several LCD's and 2 other common clones (GM328-Little-t/T3-T4). Now I have all 3 to compare in hand, plus I have another ATmega328 version on a breadboard, and all the precision components from Mouser to compare everything side by side. I've also tried out etching a couple of weeks ago, ordered an ATmega644 and a bunch of other IC's NickL has used in his versions. I can't say I'll make content on those, but playing with the circuits really helps me understand them better...or at least what color smoke they make.
    Explaining everything visually is challenging. I have to learn this stuff on a whole different level. My goal is to make the content useful for anyone around the World. My video titles and descriptions are poorly translated into 14 languages using G-Translate on YouTube and I don't speak. Hopefully the few English terms used on a schematic are somewhat universal. If anyone notices ways I can improve this feel free to PM me any time or comment through YT.
  I hope to get all 3 clones, a main schematic, and one of Nick L's version 2 schematics all unified on a single layout that is intuitive to understand.  I will probably use a version like the one that is attached below. Suggestions are welcome, and corrections are requested. I'm no expert, just an average dude with too much time on his hands.
-Jake

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline progrock

• Contributor
« Reply #4243 on: December 04, 2017, 02:45:10 am »
OK, so, I built this tester... got the AY-AT kit... upgarded the 6 resistors, the Vref, V regulator, and got a 16 Mhz crystal.

I downloaded the 1.30 Markus firmware... un-commented the ST7735 display, ran make (using Ubuntu), and then used an Arduino UNO as a the programmer, and installed the firmware with avrdude.  It sorta works... but when I start it, after a little while it says it's not calibrated, and says I need to start it with the 3 leads connected.  When I do that, it starts in the test mode... but doesn't make it past the first screen (shows the same message saying it needs to be calibrated).  TBH, I have a feeling I didn;t configure the firmware correctly, I'm surprised it even works this much.  I didn't see the correct way to tell it I'm running a 16Mhz crystal... also not sure if the rotary encoder is set up correctly...

Can anyone point me in the right direction on the correct way to build the firmware?.... I'm assuming I have a very common setup based on this thread.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4244 on: December 04, 2017, 11:45:38 am »
If the tester tells you that it's not "calibrated" then you're running the k-firmware. You could try the Makefile from the mega328_color_kit directory and change the clock rate. The m-firmware includes a "Clones" file with settings for the AY-AT kit (also update the MCU clock in the Makefile).

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4245 on: December 04, 2017, 01:19:48 pm »
@progrock
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/?action=dlattach;attach=373958
 :-+

Offline Willem52

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4246 on: December 04, 2017, 05:26:07 pm »
@STJ
I have tested the 16Mhz version of the SVN749 AY-AT firmware.
It uses a smaller and fatter font than I was used to with SVN700.
That one was for me much sharper and better to read on the AY-AT.
Also the menu uses only the upper part of the display now...

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4247 on: December 04, 2017, 07:39:14 pm »
interesting,
i dont like the font either, but i needed the flash.
maybe i'll try some others.

no idea about the menu size.

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4248 on: December 05, 2017, 06:39:28 am »
Explanation from Karl-Heinz in the last documentation of 31.10.17 :)
Makefile setting
"MAX MENU LINES This option specifies a maximum count of lines for the shown choices of
menu items. Normally the count of lines for the menu items is given by the present count of
lines of the display. Because there are usually more items selectable as the display can support,
the choices are replaced in a cyclic manner. Building the display content in this cyclic way
will take several time, especially for big color displays with many lines. With the limitation of
the line count by this option you can reduce the output time for the menu choices significant,
which will speed up the operation. The default value for this item is 5.
Example: CFLAGS += -DMAX MENU LINES=3"
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 10:22:18 am by indman »

Offline aabbcc

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4249 on: December 05, 2017, 03:16:07 pm »
Is it possible to test 5 pin transistors with these? Want to check pin configuration (i.e. if its BCECB ) and get an approximate HFE value.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf