Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3452004 times)

jellytot, NikolaSoft and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mebel

• Regular Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #4575 on: February 27, 2018, 02:30:08 pm »

I can confirm post #4052. I installed it like that in my AY-AT, and it's working fine.
[/quote]

How did you check it?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 02:36:09 pm by mebel »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #4576 on: February 27, 2018, 03:22:20 pm »
My main consern is that not everithing that I see on the LCD is sent to the serial port and when I enter the main menu nothing is sent to the serial output.
Only once I was able to see the menu on the serial but I can't replicate it.

This is intended. Just the welcome message, component founds and some error messages are copied to the TTL serial. Menus and tools are shown on the LCD only. I'm trying to add more features for the serial interface, but first I have to figure out what's feasible. 

If someone has problems with the bit-bang serial try to add a pull-up resistor (10k?) on the TX pin. While checking components the TX pin might be switched to HiZ. The pull-up resistor should provide the high level when idle.

The following users thanked this post: mauroh

Offline Miwer

• Contributor
« Reply #4577 on: February 27, 2018, 05:06:16 pm »
How did you check it?

Do you mean how did I figure it out?
Simply checking the datasheet for the two components. LM4040 and TL431 are NOT pin compatible. The anode and cathode are on different pins. Since the LM4040 doesn't have a REF pin, it doesn't matter where the third pin go since it's not connected internally anyway, and it's not needed for that part, so just match up the anode and cathode, and the last pin just goes in the remaining hole for the heck of it.  ^-^

If you mean how to verify it, then simply measure voltage on the ATmega pin 27 with a multimeter - it should be 2,5V when the device is on.

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #4578 on: February 28, 2018, 05:21:31 am »
And some good news ;) We proudly present 1.32m:
- Driver for TTL serial interface (hardware and bit-bang).

Awesome, and Vielen Dank

One thing I did wonder, is there a single page/wiki anywhere with all the details, notes etc etc?  Or just pull the tarballs and it's all in there?

Offline RGK

• Contributor
« Reply #4579 on: February 28, 2018, 05:23:52 am »
Hmmm, in that case I installed the LM4040 into my AT-AY incorrectly.  Post #4052 shows it correctly done?  Likely undamaged??

BK

I can confirm post #4052. I installed it like that in my AY-AT, and it's working fine.

Just changed my LM4040 to look like post #4052 and (surprise!) now I get 2.5V on the atmega pin 27, vs. 5V before.  A bit embarrassing, but all good now.  Glad this came up and thanks!

BK

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
« Reply #4580 on: February 28, 2018, 09:16:23 am »
The notes in the code by Markus are really well done and every change is pretty straight forword.

The change I made to enable the serial on my tester (see the first post in this page) are:

Uncoment the following lines in config.h

#define UI_SERIAL_COPY

#define SERIAL_BITBANG

In the config_328.h adjust the port/pin assignament as follow:

/* for hardware RS232 */
#define SERIAL_USART     0         /* use USART0 */
/* for bit-bang RS232 */
#define SERIAL_PORT      PORTC     /* port data register */
#define SERIAL_DDR       DDRC      /* port data direction register */
#define SERIAL_PIN       PINC      /* port input pins register */
#define SERIAL_TX        PC3       /* pin for Tx (transmit) */
#define SERIAL_RX        PD0       /* pin for Rx (receive, not supported yet) */

This will direct the serial output to PC3 pin on port C of the atmega microcontroller.

Mauro

Offline onre

« Reply #4581 on: March 01, 2018, 10:15:16 am »
Hi, I am struggling to compile a correct firmware for a tester I got as a "try if you can make this thing work" kind of project. Apparently the tester has worked at some point, but as arrived it could turn on and after a long delay display random number characters on the screen.

It has an SMT Atmega 328P and the circuit board is marked as follows:

EZM Electronics Studio
MK-328 V1.10

The display unit seems to be UC1701 based 128x64 display. I use an Arduino as programmer and can successfully flash and verify the MCU contents. However, I can't get the unit to do anything. Upon power-up, I get a blank lit-up screen which won't turn off. With some firmwares I can get some garbled screen output - just some pixels turned on, no legible characters. Unfortunately I accidentally deleted the stock firmware I had in a file, so I can't go back to that anymore, either.

Any ideas how to proceed? I've tried building different firmwares and can get some degree of response from hardware - screen contrast can be changed, and also different garbled patterns appear.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4582 on: March 01, 2018, 10:45:04 am »
The UC1701 seems to be compatible with the ST7565, but I could be wrong. Have you also programed the EEPROM?

Offline onre

« Reply #4583 on: March 01, 2018, 10:52:19 am »
The UC1701 seems to be compatible with the ST7565, but I could be wrong. Have you also programed the EEPROM?
Alright, thanks! I did program the EEPROM and have set the fuses as well to values found in this topic.

Offline onre

« Reply #4584 on: March 01, 2018, 02:01:11 pm »
Maybe the MCU is just partially burnt? I got to a point where I can enter the menus by the long button press. In the menus I can select the selftest, but end up with a flickering message telling me to "Short probes!", which I do, but the message does not go away.

edit: Additionally, the tester takes tens of seconds to get into the menus. I've checked fuses and used oscilloscope to confirm 8 MHz crystal frequency and no clock division.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 02:10:46 pm by onre »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4585 on: March 01, 2018, 06:31:08 pm »
It could be a bad pin, but it could be also something else. Do you got another ATmega328?

Offline onre

« Reply #4586 on: March 01, 2018, 07:04:34 pm »
Yes I do, but different form factor and I really don't want to solder SMT unless I have to. Also, because of typing error looks like I "fused myself out" (set the clock to the low frequency mode, can't read device signature anymore) so that's pretty much the end of the story.

However, the software seems so nice that we will order through-hole kits and build them in proper cases.

Offline JonnieCache

• Contributor
« Reply #4587 on: March 06, 2018, 02:15:43 pm »
I'm sorry to post such a n00b question. I'm new to embedded devices/micro-controllers. I have 2 of the AY-AT testers and I want to play around with the settings, install the latest firmware (both M and K). I want to try fitting an ST7735 screen to it also.

I'm not asking anyone to hold my hand per se. I'm a former developer so I can try to figure out the code. What I'm stuck with is how to most easily do this stuff on a Mac. I'd rather not run Parallels if I can avoid it. I have found a number of tools that may help, such as Atom with Platformio-IDE, Eclipse for C/C++, and MPLABX. Of course, I have seen avrdude to actually program the ATMega.

What I'm stuck with is how best to edit the appropriate files. I'm used to Xcode and Visual Studio where all files are accessible and you can just click "Build" or "Run" and voila! you have compiled code. With embedded, I have no idea how to begin.

Does anyone here use a Mac? What do you do to update the files and compile them for the LCR?

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
« Reply #4588 on: March 06, 2018, 03:00:10 pm »
I'm using a Mackbook to edit compile and load the firmware on my tester...

- Edit
  Plain and simple text editor

- Compile
  Installed CrossPack from https://www.obdev.at/products/crosspack/index.html
  I'm using this version:
  https://www.obdev.at/downloads/crosspack/CrossPack-AVR-20131216.dmg
  After you installed it:
  Open Terminal
  Go in the folder you have the ESR Transistor Tester firmware Makefile and type
  make all -f Makefile
  Just to be sure everything is working fine, do this without change any file just to see if it compile, then play with the editor...

- Programmer
   BusPirate

- Programming software Avrdude (also this is part of the CrossPack)
  I'm using this command to program the k-firmware
  avrdude -c buspirate -p m328p -B 0.5 -e -P /dev/cu.usbserial -b 115200 -U flash:w:"TransistorTester.hex":a -U eeprom:w:"TransistorTester.eep":a -U lfuse:w:0xF7:m -U hfuse:w:0xD9:m -U efuse:w:0x04:m
  I'm using this command to program the k-firmware
  avrdude -c buspirate -p m328p -B 0.5 -e -P /dev/cu.usbserial -b 115200 -U flash:w:"ComponentTester.hex":a -U eeprom:w:"ComponentTester.eep":a -U lfuse:w:0xF7:m -U hfuse:w:0xD9:m -U efuse:w:0x04:m

You will have to change only the programmer (if you dont have a BusPirate, I tryed also with an arduino as ISP, but almost everithing will do) and/or the serial name.

Mauro

The following users thanked this post: JonnieCache

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4589 on: March 07, 2018, 06:49:42 am »
Does anyone here use a Mac? What do you do to update the files and compile them for the LCR?
https://jawher.me/2014/03/21/using-xcode-avr-c/

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4590 on: March 12, 2018, 08:15:44 pm »
I've made some progress on the serial interface and got RX for the hardware based UART working. I think it should be possible to implement RX also for the bit-bang serial. Some users already suggested to add something like SCPI to control the tester. A driver for a serial driven HD44780 might be also an idea and would free up some MCU pins. I'm open for ideas about features using the serial interface.

The following users thanked this post: mauroh, morgan_flint

Offline JonnieCache

• Contributor
« Reply #4591 on: March 12, 2018, 08:28:32 pm »
I can’t believe I didn’t reply. Thanks to @mauroh and @timelessbeing for your help!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #4592 on: March 13, 2018, 09:33:34 am »
Sata conversion mk2. Mk 1 was 8-20V external powered with a dc-dc converter in the box.

Finally got around to squeezing a 2S LiPo 300mAh into my tester. No need for any battery BS saver the tester looks after that.

To save any whining the screws on the front are now black not stainless  :horse:  :-DD

3 pin lead set with header is handy too and fits in the bag.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
« Reply #4593 on: March 13, 2018, 04:51:40 pm »

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
« Reply #4594 on: March 13, 2018, 04:59:56 pm »
I can’t believe I didn’t reply. Thanks to @mauroh and @timelessbeing for your help!

You are welcome!! But the most important thing is... Was you able to compile the firmware?  :)
I like the idea of the XCode template linked by timelessbeing but havent tryed it yet.

Mauro

Offline JonnieCache

• Contributor
« Reply #4595 on: March 13, 2018, 07:53:45 pm »

You are welcome!! But the most important thing is... Was you able to compile the firmware?  :)
I like the idea of the XCode template linked by timelessbeing but havent tryed it yet.

Mauro
I’m still in progress, but I think I’m close! I’m looking at both options and experimenting.

Offline JonnieCache

• Contributor
« Reply #4596 on: March 18, 2018, 03:24:56 am »
So after much playing around, I was finally able to get it to work. At least, I think so.

The biggest problem I had was getting an ATMel-ICE to work with my Mac. I'm going to buy the Adafruit programmer to make things easier in the future.

Everything seems to be working using the M-Firmware (thank you Markus!). The only think I notice is that it takes several seconds (with a white screen) before it shows the "Component Testor" wording. Then, I noticed that it doesn't always boot correctly. Sometimes, the white screen stays on. Sometimes, I have to hold the encoder button in order to get it to finally respond.

I'm guessing this has something to do with the fuses. I have tried the fuses: (E:FD, H:D9, L:F7) as well as (E:FD, H:D8, L:FF). I'm running a 16Mhz crystal.

Any further assistance is appreciated!

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4597 on: March 18, 2018, 11:37:24 am »
Maybe the BOD it's triggered. Do you got a DSO to monitor Vcc while powering on?

Offline JonnieCache

• Contributor
« Reply #4598 on: March 18, 2018, 01:42:18 pm »
Maybe the BOD it's triggered. Do you got a DSO to monitor Vcc while powering on?

Yes, I have a scope, but I’m new to it. I’m powering the CT with a bench power supply, though so I know it is getting 9V. Maybe it needs more than 1A, though? The same problem occurs when using a 9V battery also.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4599 on: March 18, 2018, 03:34:53 pm »
Vcc is the 5V rail (after the PNP transistor acting as a power switch and the 5V regulator).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf