Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3452043 times)

jellytot and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #5325 on: November 22, 2018, 06:39:31 pm »
We don't manufacture any TransistorTesters. There are simply too many regulations and additional costs associated with manufacturing and selling electronics in Germany. For example, we would have to prepay the e-waste disposal, a system which discriminates small manufacturers with low volumes. Anyway, it's an OSHW project. ;)

The following users thanked this post: jakeisprobably

Offline j395

• Contributor
« Reply #5326 on: November 22, 2018, 06:49:01 pm »
C8051F350 with 24-bit ADC, 1-128x PGA, precision reference and 2 DACs costs 2$ (like cheapest arduino nano/pro), but contains only 8K flash.
ideal solution for precision U/I/RLC-meter
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 06:54:48 pm by j395 »

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5327 on: November 22, 2018, 08:18:12 pm »
it's not my first time I told a programmer hi is doing a shitty job
So this probably won't be the first time you've been called an asshat

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5328 on: November 23, 2018, 07:00:43 am »
it's not my first time I told a programmer hi is doing a shitty job
So this probably won't be the first time you've been called an asshat
I know, truth hearts :)
Btw, can you do a better sw for this gadget?my answer is here if you get it.
I didn't remember talking to you ...maybe returning to your code is a good idea
i.m done testing a neverending project, I'm used to ones that ends in months :)
Thanks to those who worked on this (god knows I tried a little bit)
Pierre

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #5329 on: November 23, 2018, 03:53:31 pm »
C8051F350" ... "(like cheapest arduino nano/pro), but contains only 8K flash.
If I recall the date correctly, the AVR TT project goes all the way back to 2009 in it's original form with the ATmega8. A similar design might be possible using something like the Silicon Labs chip. I haven't found many sources to walk me through using those 8051s though. I haven't looked into the specs of the 350 but I have a few C8051F310s (because they have a hardware USB port). I could be wrong but it looks like I need a Silicon Labs programmer and have to use simplicity studio or Keil. So my choices are either not very well documented for beginners/Elmer Fuds like me, or extremely overpriced software.
   The Silicon Labs 8051s I've looked at all seem to have an odd 3v port design with some that are 5v tolerant but they don't have 5v analogue. When it comes to programming toolchains that are accessible to the majority of people around the world it is almost impossible to find a more accessible and cheap option than the USBasp or Arduino as ICSP. There are tutorials available on the internet in almost any language with these devices.

Contrary to what many people like myself try to do with this project, according to the project developers, "this is a design intended to explore the potential of a simple 8 bit AVR using the minimum amount of hardware while exploring the potential of the software." The actual OSHW project is extremely well documented. All of the clones fail to follow the project as specified in the documentation. I have created schematics detailing two of these and their failures. The fact that both firmwares have tried to accommodate these devices is remarkable and everyone should be thankful for this.

If anyone wants a fully functional, "bug free" device, go build the project spec yourself as hundreds of others have done. If anyone complains about what they are given for free as a gift, be aware it clearly marks your character, and everyone is left wondering why you are here. If anyone sees a problem they know how to fix, it's simple, be a class act, fix the problem and submit the change to the developers. Complaining about a free gift is insane.
-Jake

The following users thanked this post: vivaT, Jacon

Offline deriterkeeg

« Reply #5330 on: November 23, 2018, 04:14:26 pm »

they never managed to do correct detections, I noticed myself multiple bugs with almost all versions, the tester is just a kid's toy....
bla bla bla
...I was the hw guy :)

[/quote]
We're convinced that you certainly are an excellent circuit designer. It'd be interresting to see a better version of this tester. May you propose a design ?
TIA

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5331 on: November 23, 2018, 04:39:42 pm »
C8051F350" ... "(like cheapest arduino nano/pro), but contains only 8K flash.
If I recall the date correctly, the AVR TT project goes all the way back to 2009 in it's original form with the ATmega8. A similar design might be possible using something like the Silicon Labs chip. I haven't found many sources to walk me through using those 8051s though. I haven't looked into the specs of the 350 but I have a few C8051F310s (because they have a hardware USB port). I could be wrong but it looks like I need a Silicon Labs programmer and have to use simplicity studio or Keil. So my choices are either not very well documented for beginners/Elmer Fuds like me, or extremely overpriced software.
   The Silicon Labs 8051s I've looked at all seem to have an odd 3v port design with some that are 5v tolerant but they don't have 5v analogue. When it comes to programming toolchains that are accessible to the majority of people around the world it is almost impossible to find a more accessible and cheap option than the USBasp or Arduino as ICSP. There are tutorials available on the internet in almost any language with these devices.

Contrary to what many people like myself try to do with this project, according to the project developers, "this is a design intended to explore the potential of a simple 8 bit AVR using the minimum amount of hardware while exploring the potential of the software." The actual OSHW project is extremely well documented. All of the clones fail to follow the project as specified in the documentation. I have created schematics detailing two of these and their failures. The fact that both firmwares have tried to accommodate these devices is remarkable and everyone should be thankful for this.

If anyone wants a fully functional, "bug free" device, go build the project spec yourself as hundreds of others have done. If anyone complains about what they are given for free as a gift, be aware it clearly marks your character, and everyone is left wondering why you are here. If anyone sees a problem they know how to fix, it's simple, be a class act, fix the problem and submit the change to the developers. Complaining about a free gift is insane.
-Jake
About the 'character' remark,I need to precise something:I reported bug to make sw better not for criticism.
ALL the sw makers I crossed in my career did the same thing, crying out load when you point a mistake/non-conformity, I had to do it because of ISO standards and became a habit.
The clones are almost same hw as original project, and if you change fw and something stops workin' you don't blame hw.
I'm not complaining I point what's not ok and when someone tells me 'it.s like this...' I feel my hours spent for testing and retesting are just stupid.
If you don't want feedback, just say so,don't blame the tester.and when the tester tells you for several fw something it's not ok matbe you start thinking less options and more stable detection.that's my philosophy and I'll not give it up just cause someone it's blessed in his professional image.
Me when I do an error I just shut it up and repair it.

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
$20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #5332 on: November 23, 2018, 04:41:49 pm »

they never managed to do correct detections, I noticed myself multiple bugs with almost all versions, the tester is just a kid's toy....
bla bla bla

We're convinced that you certainly are an excellent circuit designer. It'd be interresting to see a better version of this tester. May you propose a design ?
TIA
[/quote]
My capacities are not in discussion here, the tester firmware is.
First free idea for the tester:
Add an 1.5 dollar 16 bit adc and move on.
Good enough for your royal highness?

« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 04:43:31 pm by perieanuo »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5333 on: November 23, 2018, 07:10:44 pm »
My $15 TTester actually does surprisingly well at testing inductors, something which is probably the most difficult thing it does. It cant test very low value inductors with any resolution but what it does display is right to 10% or so. Which is good enough for many things.

Not good enough for RF work, but good enough for typical RF chokes, power supplies, etc.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5334 on: November 23, 2018, 07:29:41 pm »

Yes we can see that you're a stereotypical HW guy... no social skills.

The following users thanked this post: 001

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5335 on: November 23, 2018, 09:23:54 pm »

You're not the first one suggesting an external ADC. It's a little bit more complex than you might think. The hardware and the software form a symbiotic relationship to get the maximum out of a very simple hardware. For example, the three MCU pins for the probes are used as ADC inputs and also in output mode (pull up/down) for some checks. And typically the next suggestion is to take a MCU with more IO pins (enter you preferred inexpensive MCU here). Oh, it's a 3.3V one. But we need 5V to drive several semiconductors. So we would have to add an external switching matrix. Our intention is to keep the design simple and we don't want to create an overengineered FrankenTester.

The following users thanked this post: horo

Offline Andbro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5336 on: November 24, 2018, 02:07:04 pm »
Hi,

I have not received again my Gm328A SMD.
Do you can tell me if resistors 680R and 470K are package 0603 or 0805? I want replace the resistors with 0.1%

Thanks

« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 02:08:59 pm by Andbro »

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5337 on: November 24, 2018, 08:14:27 pm »

You're not the first one suggesting an external ADC. It's a little bit more complex than you might think. The hardware and the software form a symbiotic relationship to get the maximum out of a very simple hardware. For example, the three MCU pins for the probes are used as ADC inputs and also in output mode (pull up/down) for some checks. And typically the next suggestion is to take a MCU with more IO pins (enter you preferred inexpensive MCU here). Oh, it's a 3.3V one. But we need 5V to drive several semiconductors. So we would have to add an external switching matrix. Our intention is to keep the design simple and we don't want to create an overengineered FrankenTester.
I just put one on a i2c project for getting mA resolution.and lowered speed.on 5v only atmega328.I tend to add stuff do do things,but for 10bit adc it was an obligation, the other solution was to remaster the pcb.
Regards,pierre

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5338 on: November 24, 2018, 08:23:24 pm »
@madires
I see most people consider here the project is carved in stone.As I mentioned,I did a derivate with some extra, suits me well for staying beside fluke, chauvin arnoux and co :)
But honestly I can't stand some other 'contributions ' level so this discussion for me is over, I posted this last time here cause I wanted to pay you my respects, I get you're a serious person.
I'll modify the sw like a grown up now I get some spare time.
Have a nice we !

Offline Andbro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5339 on: November 26, 2018, 08:20:14 pm »
Hi,

What is the right firmware for this ? 16 Mhz

Thanks

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5340 on: November 26, 2018, 08:44:40 pm »
That's an AY-AT. IIRC, it has an 8MHz crystal by default. So you should use the settings for the AY-AT, change the MCU clock setting to 16MHz and compile the firmware. For the k-firmware simply take mega328_color_kit as starting point and for the m-firmware use the AY-AT settings from the Clones files.

Offline Andbro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5341 on: November 26, 2018, 11:44:18 pm »
Hi,

Probably I must put 16.
# The OP_MHZ option tells the software the Operating Frequency of your ATmega.
OP_MHZ = 8

N:B I'm a newbie
Thanks

Offline Andbro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5342 on: November 26, 2018, 11:57:53 pm »
Hi,

Is it really better to replace the 7550 by MCP1702T-5002E-5.0.LDO and the TL431 by LT4040AIZ-2.5 and finally the crystal by 16 MHz Cload 20pf?

Thanks

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5343 on: November 27, 2018, 06:09:25 am »
> Is it really better to replace the 7550 by MCP1702T-5002E-5.0.LDO
Yes. More accurate voltage input = more accurate measurement.

> the TL431 by LT4040AIZ-2.5
No. TL431 can be completely removed after installing the precision LDO

> the crystal by 16 MHz
Yes this improves the measurement process.

All of this is explained in the readme.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 06:13:15 am by timelessbeing »

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5344 on: November 27, 2018, 06:40:32 am »
Hi,

Clone Ttester is a Russian who has made differents firmwares for many ESR. He has many model not included in MicroKontroller.net.
The problem, it's in Russian.

See the link: https://yadi.sk/d/yW8xa5NJgUo5z

Thanks
Hi! It is my archive.
As not only Russian-speaking people use this archive, I decided to add new firmwares from k-firmware in English for different clones.
In the next several days I will add archive thus, as shown in a screenshot. You monitor changes in archive.

Hi!
I added for all known clones fresh firmwares of k-firmware revision 804 in English!
In the English folder 2 more folders for quartz resonators on 16 and 8 MHz are located. I will remind that use of quartz allows not only to increase the speed and accuracy of measurements by 16 MHz and also allows to use function of testing of quartz and ceramic resonators in the range from 0.4-13 MHz.  :D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:55:33 am by indman »

The following users thanked this post: RGK, Willem52, pepe10000

Offline Andbro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5345 on: November 28, 2018, 11:48:16 am »
Hi,

If I understand, I replace the 5volts regulator for MCP1702T-5002E-5.0.LDO and I can remove in hardware the 2.5volts référence IC?

Thanks

Offline j395

• Contributor
« Reply #5346 on: November 28, 2018, 01:21:42 pm »
I could be wrong but it looks like I need a Silicon Labs programmer and have to use simplicity studio or Keil

I'm currently testing C8051F350 in Linux with SDCC, Arduino-pro as primitive programmer (only read/write/erase flash, no debug), and python console app for uploading firmware...
comparing to AVR, characteristics of oscillator, reference and ADC looking impressive, at least in datasheet...
cost of programmer and IDE approaching zero :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:21:12 pm by j395 »

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5347 on: November 28, 2018, 09:02:34 pm »
If I understand, I replace the 5volts regulator for MCP1702T-5002E-5.0.LDO and I can remove in hardware the 2.5volts référence IC?

TL431 can be completely removed after installing the precision LDO

All of this is explained in the readme.

From the README:
"If you don’t install the precision voltage reference and you don’t add the relay extension, you should install a pull up resistor R16 to PC4 with a higher resistance value (47k?). This helps the software to detect the missing voltage reference."

You really should read the readme.  :palm:

Offline Andbro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5348 on: November 29, 2018, 11:15:43 am »
☹️ Sorry I don't find this read me. It's not easy to find where is the right information.
I feel like in a labyrinth. 🙄 If anyone can send this Readme file, with a great attention I will read this.
Thanks

Offline Andbro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5349 on: November 29, 2018, 11:29:00 am »
Does the Readme file is:
TransistorTester with AVR microcontroller
and a little more
Version 1.13k
Karl-Heinz K¨ubbeler
kh kuebbeler@web.de
October 31, 2017