Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3451282 times)

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #5425 on: January 11, 2019, 05:02:38 pm »
I had the same issue with the original firmware the tester came with. Re flashing fixed it.

Mauro

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #5426 on: January 11, 2019, 08:49:23 pm »
I had the same issue with the original firmware the tester came with. Re flashing fixed it.
Thanks! This thread is really long to read through... could you point me in the right direction for the firmware?

Offline tonewheel

• Contributor
« Reply #5427 on: January 11, 2019, 09:17:15 pm »
Despite the firmware being Open Source several clone vendors set the lock bits to prevent flash and EEPROM to be read. If you reset the fuse bits you'll have to program a new firmware anyway.
Oh okay, thanks for that.
Started reading the readme file for 1.34m. Seems like it may be for those that are building their own devices. Says in the readme:
this is a playground version with requires an ATmega with 32kB flash at least
Lots of  options, couldn't be sure I'd pick the right ones. Looked in the clones file didn't see anything obvious relating to my one.

I wonder if the 'k' version might be more suitable for me, can't find a link though. Anyone here know where to find it?
Thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:19:08 pm by tonewheel »

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5428 on: January 12, 2019, 08:44:09 am »
Anyone here know where to find it?

Thanks! This thread is really long to read through... could you point me in the right direction for the firmware?
Page #1
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 08:47:46 am by timelessbeing »

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5429 on: January 12, 2019, 08:56:28 am »
Started reading the readme file for 1.34m. Seems like it may be for those that are building their own devices.
Not really. There's no point in building it when you can buy a polished unit for $5. The only difference is you have to configure and compile "M" firmware yourself.

Looked in the clones file didn't see anything obvious relating to my one.
What about "T3/T4"?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 08:59:02 am by timelessbeing »

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #5430 on: January 12, 2019, 02:30:13 pm »
Page #1
Thanks, but I was looking for specific file(s) that user 'mauroh' had used... As I understand, several parts change on different variants and Page #1 did not help. Is there some web page where pcb variants are pictured with brief comments and links to archives at places like mikrocontroller.net?

Offline mauroh

• Frequent Contributor
    • Mauro Pintus

Offline tonewheel

• Contributor
« Reply #5432 on: January 12, 2019, 08:51:23 pm »
Looked in the clones file didn't see anything obvious relating to my one.
What about "T3/T4"?
Oh, okay thanks.
Regarding the 'k' version, is this the correct link for the LCR-T4?

If so, in that post linked to above (for the other questioner) it says: "In any case don't forget the fuses". Is that info in the download?

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 08:53:00 pm by tonewheel »

Offline tonewheel

• Contributor
« Reply #5433 on: January 12, 2019, 09:15:57 pm »
Downloaded the archive: mega328_T4_v2_st7565. the "last log entry" column on the web page says: "neue chinesische T4 Version". How can I tell if I have the new or old Chinese version please?

Also, no mention of fuses in the Makefile. Never changed fuse settings before, only read about then in a datasheet. What do they need changing to?

Sorry about all the questions, but it's not all obvious if you haven't been following along.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 09:18:09 pm by tonewheel »

Offline UKTech

« Reply #5434 on: January 12, 2019, 09:53:48 pm »
Why not remove your 328 and fit a new one and play with that, worst case scenario just refit the original chip. You'll probably learn more during the process and save yourself lots of typing.  Best of luck. :-+

Offline tonewheel

• Contributor
« Reply #5435 on: January 12, 2019, 09:58:56 pm »
Why not remove your 328 and fit a new one and play with that, worst case scenario just refit the original chip. You'll probably learn more during the process and save yourself lots of typing.  Best of luck. :-+
Because it's a tiny surface mount device.
Anyway, I get the hint. Cheers.

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5436 on: January 13, 2019, 07:54:21 am »
Regarding the 'k' version, is this the correct link for the LCR-T4?

Somewhere near your LCD there will be driver chip. If it's an 'ST7565' then yeah it should work.

Never changed fuse settings before, only read about then in a datasheet. What do they need changing to?

Procedure for flashing firmware

With the 'M' firmware, just use the T4 options in your makefile, and run make. It will do everything (compile/flash/set fuses etc.) for you.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:57:22 am by timelessbeing »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #5437 on: January 13, 2019, 10:51:15 am »
Downloaded the archive: mega328_T4_v2_st7565. the "last log entry" column on the web page says: "neue chinesische T4 Version". How can I tell if I have the new or old Chinese version please?

There are a few images of the old T4 in Karl-Heinz' documentation (https://github.com/svn2github/transistortester/blob/master/Doku/trunk/pdftex/english/ttester.pdf)

Also, no mention of fuses in the Makefile. Never changed fuse settings before, only read about then in a datasheet. What do they need changing to?

Please see section 2.10 "Programming of the microcontroller" in Karl-Heinz' documentation.

Sorry about all the questions, but it's not all obvious if you haven't been following along.

Reading the documentation might help. ;)

Offline elbuit

« Reply #5438 on: January 14, 2019, 04:14:08 pm »
I there.
I was updating the firmware of my chinese version of transistor tester like thins one:
https://yadi.sk/d/yW8xa5NJgUo5z/LCR-T4(T3)NoStripGrid
and I did something wrong that broke the unit.

I usually use an arduino as avrisp to program my unit with @madires or karl firmware but this time I tried with an usbasp device.
I think that I've overwriten fuses with 0x00 because during the writing  operation avrdude asked to back the fuses to original value and I said NO, I know my mistake :-(
So now not usbasp or arduino is capable to read anything, usbasb doesn't detect anything and arduino detects a 0x000000 device, so I think that I've lost my unit.

And I want to buy and affordable unit and I don't know wich is the best chinese option in the market.

Which one should I buy?
If I buy same model I can reuse the box, but I don't know if there are better options.

Offline tonewheel

• Contributor
« Reply #5439 on: January 14, 2019, 06:09:28 pm »
Please see section 2.10 "Programming of the microcontroller" in Karl-Heinz' documentation.
Thanks, I did manage to get the software uploaded in the end. If I can ever stop it nagging me that it's not calibrated I might be able to use it again ha-ha. I've read section 3.3 "Selftest and Calibration" in that PDF several times and still don't quite follow it. It seemed to run though the tests but it always comes up with the nag next time I try and measure something.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5440 on: January 14, 2019, 06:15:51 pm »
Which one should I buy?
If I buy same model I can reuse the box, but I don't know if there are better options.

I'd buy an AY-AT type clone. But you could also replace the ATmega and maybe recover the old one by a programmer supporting the HV method.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 11:04:34 am by madires »

The following users thanked this post: elbuit

Offline elbuit

« Reply #5441 on: January 14, 2019, 07:17:50 pm »
Which one should I buy?

I'd buy an AY-AT type clone. But you could also replace the ATmega any maybe recover the old one by a programmer supporting the HV method.

Thanks @madires.
I've a atmega m328p in an "arduino micro pro" that woukd fit but I'm not a good solder guy so I think that if I try to desolder an resolder that small smd chip I'll fail and I'll have two broken devices  :'(

So as that devices are inexpensive (from 5€) I decided to buy a new one, and the AY-AT that I've found are quite similar to my LCR T4 broken but have a rotary button and more I/O pins.
I've found some M328 that looks like an AY-AT but most of them are in kit, I've no problem to solder but not smd components so I think that I'll buy an assembled one.
-Have AY-AT more functions than a plain LCR-T4? ie: test zenner diodes, optocoupler, ... (I've found theese option when I compiled your firm)

On the other hand this devices have a TFT color screen that is much better but I supose that those screens consumes more energy than a LCD one.

Thanks.
Edited:
finally I bought an assembled “gm328” device with case that looks identical to this:
https://yadi.sk/d/yW8xa5NJgUo5z/M328Kit%2BTFT/Photo

and I think that matches with AY-AT design.
There is a version called gm328a with smd but I choosed non smd version.
Thanks for your advice.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 10:10:53 pm by elbuit »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5442 on: January 15, 2019, 02:46:20 pm »
The AY-AT clones have a rotary encoder, the basic frequency counter and a voltage divider for measuring external voltages (Zener test without the boost converter). Yes, those images show the classic AY-AT, but there's also a different type called GM328 (ST7565 display).

Offline elbuit

« Reply #5443 on: January 15, 2019, 03:48:20 pm »
The AY-AT clones have a rotary encoder, the basic frequency counter and a voltage divider for measuring external voltages (Zener test without the boost converter). Yes, those images show the classic AY-AT, but there's also a different type called GM328 (ST7565 display).
I brought a GM328, well description says that is a GM328 but pictures are like the M328 KIT.

It's a really cheap, 11.5€ assembled with case.
I don't want to put any link to a aliexpress but if you look for "On Case Digital ESR Meter GM328 Transistor Tester" you'll find.
I'm looking forward to recive the GM328 to test your firmware
I don't know what I did wrong compiling your firmware but with my tests I wasn't able to use the menu, long press shuts down the LCR-T4.

But this time I won't use USBASP as a programer, I'll use an arduino as avrisp  ;D
Thanks again for your advices.

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
« Reply #5444 on: January 15, 2019, 04:08:53 pm »
Bloody ripper.. case included! what 15 bucks can buy these days.. almost not worth it to reprogram mine  :-//

Offline elbuit

« Reply #5445 on: January 15, 2019, 05:09:01 pm »
Bloody ripper.. case included! what 15 bucks can buy these days.. almost not worth it to reprogram mine  :-//
Yes, thats true it worths more than you pay and reprogram is the funiest part unless you brick it  |O
I've bought mine in aliexpres (13USD assembled with case) but I don't want to put any link because I haven't received it yet.

I'm a newbie in electronics and for me, this is an amazing tool to test some devices like capacitors (even in-circuit with ESR) or transistors and inductors.
But the most amaizing thing is that it evolves, get better software and more tests and more accurate.
And in my oppinion that kind of devices openned a new paradigm, a open hardware/software to amateur electronics, far from expensive brands that you can't afford if you don't are a professional.
Perhaps in the future there wil be more powerful versions with other inexpensive and powerfull CPU (ie STM32 that uses bluepill) or perhaps no, but the door now is open.
Thanks to all people here that contributes to this project.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5446 on: January 15, 2019, 06:50:02 pm »
I don't know what I did wrong compiling your firmware but with my tests I wasn't able to use the menu, long press shuts down the LCR-T4.

Haven't you read the README file? The user interface is a little bit different, i.e. the menu is triggered by two short presses. A long press will power off the tester, as you've learned already.

Offline elbuit

« Reply #5447 on: January 15, 2019, 08:10:24 pm »

Haven't you read the README file? The user interface is a little bit different, i.e. the menu is triggered by two short presses. A long press will power off the tester, as you've learned already.

You got me   :palm: I’ve read it but not deeply  |O |O |O
I’ve focused in the building part.
My apologies.

Offline broadway

• Contributor
« Reply #5448 on: January 16, 2019, 10:30:55 am »
Can someone guide me on how to use the HX1230 lcd display

https://github.com/olikraus/u8g2/issues/469

It's a 96x68 lcd

https://github.com/bitbank2/hx1230
It is from nokia 1202, has better resolution than nokia 5110 and cheaper
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:45:38 am by broadway »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5449 on: January 16, 2019, 05:33:02 pm »
Neither k-firmware nor m-firmware has a driver for HX1230/STE2007 yet.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf