Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3451785 times)

bffargo, jellytot and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline dc8lz

Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #5725 on: July 04, 2019, 07:34:17 am »
Hello!

Poorly I fried up my only some few minutes old ttester.  |O

Can somebody help me with a matching Makefile for the k-trunk (kv. 1.13) or m-firmware? I don't care, it just should work.  :-+

I guess it may be close to the mega328_GM328 or mega328_color_kit?

It was sold on ebay as "TFT GM328 Transistor Tester Diode LCR ESR meter PWM Square wave Voltmeter W0", see https://www.ebay.de/itm/273874481843

During repairing the tester I will switch to 16MHz, crystal already changed.

By the way I am very interested in measuring low inductivities with the sampling method.

Thanks all for help,
beste regards Stephan
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 08:20:24 am by dc8lz »

Offline Obelix2007

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5726 on: July 04, 2019, 08:41:19 am »
Hallo Stephan,

take the 'mega328_color_kit', the 'M-Software' looks littlebit better at the color display, but have no support for the sampling method.

best regards Horst

Offline dc8lz

« Reply #5727 on: July 04, 2019, 06:55:17 pm »
Hello Horst,

Hallo Stephan,

take the 'mega328_color_kit', the 'M-Software' looks littlebit better at the color display, but have no support for the sampling method.

best regards Horst

Thank you for your help. Ok, I will check the k-firmware mega328_color_kit.

With my first test and the hex end eprom files from svn I get a all-pixle-white screen after pressing one time the rotary button. I hope I did not damage the display or another part.

Btw... if somebody has the original files or a surely working Makefile... let me know, thanks!

Best regards, Stephan

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5728 on: July 04, 2019, 07:17:54 pm »
I bought one of the newer Hiland testers from eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/132987823813 for $20.

It looks nicely made and the components are reasonable quality.  IC1 is a 1117M3 and it has an ATMEGA64 processor and an 8 MHz Xtal.  I've attached a photo for y'all.

Are there any recommended hardware updates for this one?  Also, it says "Hiland Elec" with a URL at the bottom of the screen on startup.  Can I program this with a better firmware?
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #5729 on: July 04, 2019, 08:58:37 pm »
That tester has the extended frequency counter and possibly the Zener check. Both OSHW firmwares (k & m) should run fine. Changing the quartz crystal to a 16MHz type would increase the frequency limits for signal output and frequency counter while also improving some measurements.

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr, Per Hansson

Offline Obelix2007

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5730 on: July 04, 2019, 09:32:36 pm »
Hi Stephan,

if you switch the tester on, go the control LED on and after release the switch, is the LED still on? If it is so, insert a LED in the testconnector. At the next switch on, the inserted LED will blink sometimes?

regards Horst

Offline dc8lz

« Reply #5731 on: July 04, 2019, 10:00:58 pm »
Hello!

Hi Stephan,

if you switch the tester on, go the control LED on and after release the switch, is the LED still on? If it is so, insert a LED in the testconnector. At the next switch on, the inserted LED will blink sometimes?

regards Horst

Yes, the LED blinks sometimes. But all the time LED backlight/white display is on. I guess my display is broken, too. :-(

If I am right this one has a kind of level shifter so that it work with the 5V of the atmega. Would like to buy a new display but until now I only find cheaper ones with 3V... hm... sad.

Offline Obelix2007

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5732 on: July 04, 2019, 10:21:54 pm »
Hello Stephan,

test the signal-pins at the display with your oszilloscope for plausible pegel at the right pins and also the LDO output must have 3.3 VDC.

Regards Horst

P.S. im Anhang die pin- und signalbelegung
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 11:05:21 pm by Obelix2007 »

Offline dc8lz

« Reply #5733 on: July 05, 2019, 08:42:53 am »
Tnx Horst!

Signal looks good so far. I will buy another display. Will take some time.. :-/

But thanks a lot, the display pinout is very helpfully.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5734 on: July 05, 2019, 10:07:16 am »
That tester has the extended frequency counter and possibly the Zener check. Both OSHW firmwares (k & m) should run fine. Changing the quartz crystal to a 16MHz type would increase the frequency limits for signal output and frequency counter while also improving some measurements.
Thanks.  What's the IDE that the code I downloaded from Github compiles in? 

Not thread-specific but does anyone know why my photos (taken on my iPhone 7+) all seem to be upside down?  Is it because the eevblog server is in Australia where up is down?

The following users thanked this post: Obelix2007

Offline Obelix2007

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5735 on: July 05, 2019, 10:34:07 am »
Hello Stephan,

i send a PN to you.

regards Horst

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5736 on: July 05, 2019, 03:49:12 pm »
What's the IDE that the code I downloaded from Github compiles in? 

Nothing special, just avr-gcc and make (and avrdude for ISP).

Not thread-specific but does anyone know why my photos (taken on my iPhone 7+) all seem to be upside down?  Is it because the eevblog server is in Australia where up is down?

The server is located in the USA. Maybe your phone is re-imported from down under? ;D

Offline Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #5737 on: July 06, 2019, 10:43:45 am »
I had not realized it could check Zener diodes, a quick check on the original eBay auction confirms it but it was not clear about how.
You place the diode on the Vext+ pin and ground, with the stripe against the positive pin.
Next you go into the menu and select "Voltage" after that 0mv will be shown on the screen.
Now you hold the test button down: 44v is generated on the Vext+ pin and the drop on your zener will be shown on the screen.
In this case it was a 20v Zener...

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5738 on: July 06, 2019, 12:59:33 pm »
So, apparently the way to make iPhone pictures come out the right way up here is to a) Use a Mac computer b) Make sure the volume buttons are facing downwards when taking the picture.  A fuller explanation is here.

My process steps are to email the pictures to myself and then save them to my Windows PC and then choose them for upload to the forum.

Offline TechieTX

• Contributor
« Reply #5739 on: July 06, 2019, 09:37:34 pm »
Hello!

Poorly I fried up my only some few minutes old ttester.  |O

Can somebody help me with a matching Makefile for the k-trunk (kv. 1.13) or m-firmware? I don't care, it just should work.  :-+

I guess it may be close to the mega328_GM328 or mega328_color_kit?

It was sold on ebay as "TFT GM328 Transistor Tester Diode LCR ESR meter PWM Square wave Voltmeter W0"

During repairing the tester I will switch to 16MHz, crystal already changed.

By the way I am very interested in measuring low inductivities with the sampling method.

Thanks all for help,
beste regards Stephan

Howdy, Stephan!

I just finished compiling the latest 1.36m for my AY-AT board (looks the same as yours other than the silkscreen).  I run an ATMega328, not the -328P so my Makefile is modified for that part.  I also have 16MHz xtal, and I'm using a USBasp for a programmer.  If you use the current 1.36m release from https://github.com/madires/Transistortester-Warehouse/tree/master/Firmware/m-firmware and drop these files in place (preferably saving off the original config.h, config_328.h and Makefile in a sub-folder for comparison) then it should compile and work for you.  You might need to change the actual MCU in line 58 of the Makefile to 'm328p', and of course your programmer string may well be different, so you'll need to modify that in the Makefile as well.  I have the ST7735 display and can't tell from your photo if that's what you have there.

I did a couple of small tweaks to the conf files to match my hardware, but it should still boot and run reasonably well for you.  I have the precision 5V regulator and 0.1% resistors.

edit: I added pix of the diffs between Madires' original (left) and my modifications (right) in case you need to see what changed
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 02:27:06 pm by TechieTX »
"No matter where you go, there you are." ~BB

Offline jshonw

• Contributor
« Reply #5740 on: July 08, 2019, 09:34:06 am »
Madires, can you tell me how the capacitor tables in variables.h were derived?  I am thinking of using slightly different values for the 680 and 470k resistors and it seems to me that I will need to recalculate those tables.  I tried looking at the source code for the SmallCap function and couldn't figure what the table values represent.   

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5741 on: July 08, 2019, 10:22:59 am »
Please see the comment above LargeCap(). It explains the equation and also shows how to calculate the table values with bc (unix command line calculator).

Offline jshonw

• Contributor
« Reply #5742 on: July 08, 2019, 07:17:23 pm »
Madires, Thanks!

Offline can

« Reply #5743 on: July 10, 2019, 12:21:43 pm »
hello friends I want to do from this test device I have a st7735spi lcd screen and I want to use atmega328p as the processor I have a lot of information on the pages, but I do not get a kind of image on the screen to compile the main files of the software which are using the program I am waiting for your help. thanks

Offline can

« Reply #5744 on: July 10, 2019, 12:24:47 pm »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5745 on: July 10, 2019, 01:35:43 pm »
hello friends I want to do from this test device I have a st7735spi lcd screen and I want to use atmega328p as the processor I have a lot of information on the pages, but I do not get a kind of image on the screen to compile the main files of the software which are using the program I am waiting for your help. thanks

k or m-firmware?

Offline can

« Reply #5746 on: July 10, 2019, 02:34:21 pm »
I did not understand

Offline can

« Reply #5747 on: July 11, 2019, 08:03:23 am »
hello friends GM328A model I want to make the test device, but I just install the hex file to the processor program is running, some information comes to the screen, but when I install the eeprom file does not show any text on the screen can you help.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5748 on: July 11, 2019, 09:08:52 am »
How exactly are you programming the flash and the EEPROM?

Offline can

« Reply #5749 on: July 11, 2019, 12:01:16 pm »
fuse settings I've set up this way il load flash file and then I install eeprom file
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 12:05:20 pm by can »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf