Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3452180 times)

carrascoso and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #5750 on: July 11, 2019, 01:15:04 pm »
Don't you use a quartz crystal (lfuse setting 0xf7)? Everything else seems to be fine.

Offline TechieTX

• Contributor
« Reply #5751 on: July 11, 2019, 10:34:01 pm »
I've never seen that file version, but the fuses are all wrong in any case.  Try this instead:

It's not verifying, so the processor is off in the weeds after writing.
"No matter where you go, there you are." ~BB

Offline towe96

• Contributor
« Reply #5752 on: July 12, 2019, 10:59:48 am »
I have an AY-AT clone with the v1.36m firmware.

How would I go about testing reverse hFE of components like a PNP transistor? Simply inserting it the other way around only changes the reading between EBC and CBE types.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5753 on: July 12, 2019, 01:31:28 pm »
Sorry, neither k nor m-firmware display the reverse hFE, but it's measured during the BJT detection. I'll put that feature on my to-do list.

Offline daemon123

• Contributor
« Reply #5754 on: July 17, 2019, 07:45:09 am »
Hi,
i have etched the PCB as provided on the github by Max
but there is transistor Q1 and its collecter is left out, what is the purpose of it or is it a mistake ?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5755 on: July 17, 2019, 09:24:43 am »
I think it's the lack of the correct symbol. That should be the external 2.5V reference (LM4040, TL431).

Offline Roman81

« Reply #5756 on: July 19, 2019, 03:49:36 pm »
Hello I'm new here and to electronics. Got interested a few year ago and started learning bit by bit (mostly from youtube) so my knowledge is very limited.
Bought the tester on Aliexpress but didn't notice it was the kit and not assembled 1, in the pics it was all assembled with the case and I didn't read the small print well enough but that's on me. Got it a few days ago and today finally got to assembling it. All went well it turned on no prob but when I tried to calibrate it it did resistance ok but when it came to capacitance testing it showed 6 - 6 - 44 as reference test and after it showed all the capacitores wrong showing way less.
Here is a vid of me trying to calibrate 
Measured the 470k resistors and the middle 1 shows 445k in circuit and 469.6 out.
Is the volt ref here is 5V? It showed 5.002V on the LT1004 pins. When i try to measure voltage with the board it shows around 200mV higher than it is.
It doesn't see any resistors that i try to test.
It shows transistor info.
Few pics showing the assembled module, would love to hear any criticism or suggestions. Please help.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5757 on: July 19, 2019, 06:16:33 pm »
The external voltage reference should be a 2.5V type. Some users have reported issues with IC4 (SRV5-04). It's meant for input protection and can be removed (tester will work without it).

PS: Welcome to the forum! ;)

The following users thanked this post: Roman81

Offline Obelix2007

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5758 on: July 23, 2019, 05:59:20 pm »
Hallo Madires,

i have a problem with the Hiland 644M Clone and the M-SW 1.36 and 1.35 also. In the mikrocontroller.net i have a sheet with the div. measurements.

Sorry, my english is not good enough to discuss it here.

Best regards

Horst

P.S.: at the attachment the picture shows as the left one the Hiland 644M with the "wrong" data. The table as PDF shows the measurements of the test with div. testers.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 01:56:27 pm by Obelix2007 »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5759 on: July 24, 2019, 08:29:31 am »
Obelix2007 has reported that his Hiland 644M shows wrong hFE values (too high) when running the m-firmware. On a tester with  ATmega328 everything is fine. And running the k-firmware on the Hiland 644M the hFE values are fine too. I've done a quick check of several NPNs with a 328 tester and a 644 and the hFE values match closely. At the moment I don't have any idea what could cause that issue. If you have a Hiland 644M and a different tester (or run both firmwares on the Hiland) please check a few BJTs and let me know the hFE values.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 11:52:26 am by madires »

The following users thanked this post: Obelix2007

Offline Obelix2007

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5760 on: July 29, 2019, 02:44:34 am »
...  Can I program this with a better firmware?

Hi Gandalf,

did you test your Hiland644M with the m-firmware 1.36?

I have some problems with the hFE measurement?
Can you test some BJTs to compare the readings?
Sorry my bad english.

Best regards Horst

Offline Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #5761 on: July 30, 2019, 08:15:01 am »
That tester has the extended frequency counter and possibly the Zener check. Both OSHW firmwares (k & m) should run fine. Changing the quartz crystal to a 16MHz type would increase the frequency limits for signal output and frequency counter while also improving some measurements.
I had not realized it could check Zener diodes, a quick check on the original eBay auction confirms it but it was not clear about how.
You place the diode on the Vext+ pin and ground, with the stripe against the positive pin.
Next you go into the menu and select "Voltage" after that 0mv will be shown on the screen.
Now you hold the test button down: 44v is generated on the Vext+ pin and the drop on your zener will be shown on the screen.
In this case it was a 20v Zener...
Turns out the Zener diode test is not so useful after all.
I bought a Zener diode assortment kit when I needed specifically a 5.1v Zener for a project.
Thinking I'd sort out the one with the best value.
The tester gave values of 4.80v for most of them, and then finally the last two showed up as 5.0 and 5.1v.
However on my bench supply with a 0.01A load they all where in the range of 5.12 to 5.23v.
So meh...
Maybe it could be fixed by replacing the resistor used for the voltage test though, so it outputs higher current?

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5762 on: July 30, 2019, 08:53:15 am »
Per Hansson It is possible to make the choice of value of current (1 mA, 5 mA, 10 mA) given through Zener and to collect the simple scheme with the current regulator. An example on a photo. :)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5763 on: July 30, 2019, 08:59:16 am »
Yep, the test current matters for a Zener because it needs a minimum current to be stable. To modify the test current please have a look at the circuit around T5 (current limiter). Try a lower value for R32. The 644 circuit in Karl-Heinz' excellent documentation uses a similar current limiter with a jumper to select 1 or 5mA.

Offline electron1979

« Reply #5764 on: July 30, 2019, 10:12:44 am »
Hey all,
I'm looking to purchase one of the testers, but not sure which one I should get.
I'm thinking of the following 3, but if you want to suggest a different one, feel free.
It doesn't need to be portable/rechargable.
Should I care about the Chinese FW or focus on the 1.13k or 1.35m FW?
I think I would prefer the "k-firmware" as it "supports the SamplingADC for measuring low value caps and coils", https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg2400432/#msg2400432
I have read that the 16MHz units could provide better accuracy?
  • LCR-T4 (AU $12.61)
    It is the cheapest, and according to "the table", allows Chinese FW 2.6.8
  • LCR-TC1
    This one is good value, runs on 3V7, has higher resolution display, is 16MHz and supports Chinese FW 2.12
  • LCR-T7
    This one is most expensive (out of the 3), runs on runs on 3V7, has higher resolution display, is 16MHz and supports Chinese FW 2.12
As the features of the LCR-TC1 (AU$18.90) and LCR-T7 (AU$28.89) look the same, AFAIK, I should probably get the LCR-TC1?
If you guys were buying one, what would you buy, taking into account my requirements?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5765 on: July 30, 2019, 11:16:11 am »
LCR-TC1 and LCR-T7 have an additional small MCU to control power and test button. If you want to run k or m-firmware you need to reprogram the control MCU (https://github.com/atar-axis/tc1-u4) or to replace it with a small circuit (TC1-Mod in the repo). They do also have a few hardware issues (see m-firmware's Clones file). Maybe an AY-AT clone or a Hiland 644?

Offline Chris02

• Contributor
« Reply #5766 on: August 02, 2019, 06:27:27 am »
LCR-TC1 and LCR-T7 have an additional small MCU to control power and test button. If you want to run k or m-firmware you need to reprogram the control MCU (https://github.com/atar-axis/tc1-u4) or to replace it with a small circuit (TC1-Mod in the repo). They do also have a few hardware issues (see m-firmware's Clones file). Maybe an AY-AT clone or a Hiland 644?
I made this HW modifications and also flashed the u4.

But how to get main firmware for atmega? Is it necessary to compile the firmware by myself or is there any hex file for download? If I has to compile it: How can I do it? SW isn't my skill.

BTW: My TC-1 was delvivered with 644, maybe you will add it to your "clones" file.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5767 on: August 02, 2019, 12:05:39 pm »
Yes, the firmware has to be compiled for the TC1 (k and m-firmware). There are a few posts in this thread on how to compile it. Nothing special, just the common way for AVRs. And configuring the firmware for the tester is described in the documentation. Thanks for the hint on the new TC1 model with an ATmega644.

Offline Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #5768 on: August 02, 2019, 01:41:00 pm »
Per Hansson It is possible to make the choice of value of current (1 mA, 5 mA, 10 mA) given through Zener and to collect the simple scheme with the current regulator. An example on a photo. :)
Yep, the test current matters for a Zener because it needs a minimum current to be stable. To modify the test current please have a look at the circuit around T5 (current limiter). Try a lower value for R32. The 644 circuit in Karl-Heinz' excellent documentation uses a similar current limiter with a jumper to select 1 or 5mA.
Excellent, thanks for the spot on advice.
The original R32 resistor has SMD marking 01B so 1kΩ and the produced current was 1.3mA
I paralleled a 150Ω resistor with it and now I get 12mA test current.
And the 5v Zeners read much closer to what my bench supply does with the same settings.
That said I guess 10mA can be too much for higher voltage Zeners, lets say generally above 30v.
However since the tester can only generate 45v anyway I think it's a decent compromise.
Of course the use of a jumper or switch to select would be better, but would also take more than 5 seconds to implement ;)

Offline Obelix2007

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5769 on: August 02, 2019, 06:16:50 pm »

Hi Gandalf,

did you test your Hiland644M with the m-firmware 1.36?

I have some problems with the hFE measurement?
Can you test some BJTs to compare the readings?
Sorry my bad english.

Hi Per Hansson,

... the same question as above to You?

Best regards Horst

Offline Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #5770 on: August 03, 2019, 11:09:03 am »
I'm still running the original Chinese firmware on it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 05:00:34 pm by Per Hansson »

The following users thanked this post: Obelix2007

Offline N9XYP

• Contributor
« Reply #5771 on: August 03, 2019, 06:48:46 pm »
Been gone for quite some time (surgery, meds, et al) and thought I would share this video I just watched.

It is about a 328p clone from Logic Green. 32Mhz, 12 bit ADC and differential, a DAC, three selectable Vref (1,024, 2.048, 4.096), six pins that can handle 80 mA, and is 99% UNO/Nano compatible. The Micro Pro version is 79 cents US. It also works down to 1.8v @ 32MHz

Not sure how to embed a video.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 06:51:39 pm by N9XYP »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #5772 on: August 04, 2019, 02:39:10 am »
What a coincidence. I watched that video, too, and it made me think of this project. With a firmware update, the QFP version could be a drop-in replacement on those boards that use that form factor IC.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5773 on: August 04, 2019, 12:30:15 pm »
The LGT8F328P is an interesting 328 clone. It has also more I/O pins, i.e. four power pins are replaced with port pins (PE). I wonder if the 12 bit ADC provides a real benefit over the 328's 10 bit (they dropped AVCC). Could be an inexpensive alternative but not using the additional I/O pins seems to be a waste. On the other side, 32kB flash aren't enough for all the possible tester options.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #5774 on: August 05, 2019, 07:04:31 pm »
If the 328 clone sells well, maybe they'll make a 2560 clone. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf