Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3453069 times)

carl1961 and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #6200 on: May 12, 2020, 02:22:25 pm »
I have just purchased a BSIDE meter which I understand is based upon the same components as this open-source project.

Is anyone able to walk me through the steps required to update this to the latest firmware version?

Linux or Windows? k or m-firmware?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6201 on: May 12, 2020, 02:28:19 pm »
Could you advise where/how to report firmware bugs?
In ttester-snapshot-20190319, in the file show_Resis_Cap.c line 231 should have #ifdef, not #ifndef (#ifdef RMETER_WITH_L)

The best way is send an email (for k-firmware please see Karl-Heinz' documentation for his email address). However, I'll forward your report to Karl-Heinz.

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6202 on: May 12, 2020, 05:18:19 pm »
Hello everybody!
I offer all owners of the AY-AT clone as well as the GM328A black board clone a slightly modified version of the m-firmware 1.39m in English!
I made this modification for myself in order to better understand the placement of information on the display with a resolution of 160x128. I think that madires will not be very angry with me for this? :)
You can download and check this firmware for 3 different processor frequencies - 8,16 and 20Mhz using the link from my resource https://yadi.sk/d/yW8xa5NJgUo5z/M328Kit%2BTFT/Firmware/Markus%20Reschke/English
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 05:20:49 pm by indman »

The following users thanked this post: PedroDaGr8, edavid, morgan_flint

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #6203 on: May 12, 2020, 05:53:36 pm »
@indman - Ru site says download limit exceeded..  :-//

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6204 on: May 13, 2020, 06:56:33 am »
Cliff Matthews
OK! I put the same firmware files in one shared archive on another resource https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jcKJI49TL-M2101fzPR95rZTU5i72uwm
 :)

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline de_light

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6205 on: May 13, 2020, 08:33:07 am »
Thank you so much for replying. I can use both Windows and Linux(Ubuntu). I am not sure what the current firmware is running but I could use either k or the m fork.

The following users thanked this post: Obelix2007

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6206 on: May 13, 2020, 01:13:07 pm »
Could you advise where/how to report firmware bugs?
In ttester-snapshot-20190319, in the file show_Resis_Cap.c line 231 should have #ifdef, not #ifndef (#ifdef RMETER_WITH_L)

The best way is send an email (for k-firmware please see Karl-Heinz' documentation for his email address). However, I'll forward your report to Karl-Heinz.

Karl-Heinz has fixed a few related issues: https://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/trunk/

The following users thanked this post: z01z, Fuzzy Star

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6207 on: May 13, 2020, 01:23:54 pm »
Thank you so much for replying. I can use both Windows and Linux(Ubuntu). I am not sure what the current firmware is running but I could use either k or the m fork.

Somewhere in this huge thread are a few guides for Windows. For linux you could check ttester-1.13k.Bohu.English.pdf and ctester-1.39m.English.pdf at https://github.com/madires/Transistortester-Warehouse/tree/master/Documentation. Both PDFs include a chapter about building and programming a new firmware on linux. Besides that, a web search for "programming AVR" should give you tons of links.

The following users thanked this post: pierreraymondrondelle, de_light

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6208 on: May 13, 2020, 01:36:53 pm »
I made this modification for myself in order to better understand the placement of information on the display with a resolution of 160x128. I think that madires will not be very angry with me for this? :)

Just a bit. ;D No! I'm happy about any contribution to the project!

The following users thanked this post: indman, pepe10000, Fuzzy Star

Offline N9XYP

• Contributor
« Reply #6209 on: May 13, 2020, 09:48:42 pm »
There is this guide by tom666
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg810893/#msg810893

And a follow up on which versions of what give the best size
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg825078/#msg825078

And a detailed one from MIT for Windows 10 (and possibly back Win7)
http://fab.cba.mit.edu/classes/863.16/doc/projects/ftsmin/windows_avr.html

The following users thanked this post: de_light

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6210 on: May 15, 2020, 03:34:17 pm »
Would someone with knowledge (madires?) start a summary thread which describes the various versions and FW options?  One post per device or FW version giving the current status which is updated as things change.  I just did a google search to try to find out about compiling and flashing my BSIDE ESR02 Pro.  To say I got lost is an understatement.

I'd like to make some changes to it for ESR testing in circuit if no one has done them already. I really like the BSIDE case, so I'd like to use it even if I have to leave out other functions.  I'm fine getting a 2nd one.

For the SMPS I'm working on it needs to do the following:

1) limit the test voltage to 0.5 V so it does not turn on a diode in parallel with the caps I need to test

2) measure the DC resistance after the capacitor is charged to determine the resistance in parallel

3) measure the time period of a 0.5 V DC charging current multiple times to determine the capacitance

4) apply a 200kHz sine wave and measure the resistance of the cap and correct for the parallel resistance

5) beep when it has a stable reading

6) report if the ESR is good, bad or fair.

5) is not needed, but would be nice and if I'm modifying the FW I might as well add that if there is a free pin.

Thanks,
Reg

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6211 on: May 15, 2020, 04:35:18 pm »
Would someone with knowledge (madires?) start a summary thread which describes the various versions and FW options?  One post per device or FW version giving the current status which is updated as things change.  I just did a google search to try to find out about compiling and flashing my BSIDE ESR02 Pro.  To say I got lost is an understatement.

indman has compiled an overview about various clones. Maybe he could post the current version. IIRC, the BSIDE uses the reference circuit and a ST7565 display. The default settings might work. BTW, if someone runs the m-firmware on a BSIDE please send me your settings for sharing (Clones file).

I'd like to make some changes to it for ESR testing in circuit if no one has done them already. I really like the BSIDE case, so I'd like to use it even if I have to leave out other functions.  I'm fine getting a 2nd one.

Based on your requirements you would have to design a hardware extension. A simple firmware mod wouldn't be able to do that.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:42:41 am by madires »

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6212 on: May 15, 2020, 04:58:37 pm »
indman has compiled an overview about various clones. Maybe he could post the current version. IIRC, the BSIDE uses the reference circuit and a ST7565 display. The default settings might work. BTW, if someone runs the m-firmware on a BSIDE please send me your settings for sharing (Clones file).

I have already offered BSideESR02 owners the latest version of k-firmware on page 247 (Reply # 6156)
In the near future I am going to compile a working version of m-firmware 1.39m for this clone. ;)

The following users thanked this post: madires, Hydron, de_light

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6213 on: May 15, 2020, 05:29:12 pm »
Thanks.  I've downloaded the source and documentation for both versions.  I'll follow up when I've had time to study what I've got.

I'd still like to urge a summary thread as 249 pages of posts is rather daunting to search through.

Have Fun!
Reg

BTW I recently bought an HP 4145B semiconductor analyzer and a Tek 577 curve tracer.  I also have a 4284A and 4285A LCR meter  So I'll be doing some very detailed comparisons of performance when I manage to get all that stuff setup in my new lab.

My primary interest is low cost test gear. I eventually want to design some, but for now evaluating examples of this design and the nanoVNA (I also have  8753B and 8510C VNAs) should keep me busy for a while.

The motivation for wanting to build a modified version is this video:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 05:52:34 pm by rhb »

The following users thanked this post: Pukker

Offline de_light

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6214 on: May 24, 2020, 04:52:26 am »
I'm really struggling to flash the new firmware with the BSIDE ESR02. I have created another thread in the beginners forum if anyone is kind enough to look for me. I have soldered a six-pin header onto the board and have double-checked the wiring against indman's schematic and the wiring diagram on the back of the USBAsp. I have tried using the avrdude command-prompt (Win10) with verbose settings and various GUIs e.g Khazama AVR programmer. I get the same error throughout.

avrdude: Version 5.10, compiled on Jan 19 2010 at 10:45:23
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin\avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : lpt1
         Using Programmer              : USBAsp
avrdude: seen device from vendor ->www.fischl.de<-
avrdude: seen product ->USBasp<-
         AVR Part                      : ATMEGA328P
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65     5     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : usbasp
         Description     : USBasp, http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

avrdude: auto set sck period (because given equals null)
avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6215 on: May 24, 2020, 12:48:20 pm »
I'll be watching de_light's progress closely as I intend to follow.  I printed out both the k and m manuals, but got rather lost in the details.

Is there a summary of the differences between the 2 FW versions? 

Thanks,
Reg
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 01:52:33 pm by rhb »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6216 on: May 24, 2020, 02:56:59 pm »
If you like to follow de_light's adventure in programming his BSIDE: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/usbasp-programming-atmel-328p/msg3078976/#msg3078976

The following users thanked this post: de_light

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6217 on: May 24, 2020, 03:10:47 pm »
Is there a summary of the differences between the 2 FW versions? 

It would be a tough job to keep that up-to-date. ;) The m-firmware's README has a short list in section "What's different?". And if you scroll over the document overview you'll find more hints.

Offline djnz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6218 on: May 24, 2020, 06:10:08 pm »
Hi guys I need some help.

I am trying to repair an LCR TC1 tester. This tester has a separate STC microcontroller used for sleep / standby related stuff. This STC chip controls the enable pin of a boost converter which in turn powers the tester via a 7805. I think I have a dead STC chip because the enable pin never goes high.

I am attaching a schematic for this tester which was prepared by forum user Azure. Thanks Azure!

To temporarily fix the problem, I tried tying the boost enable pin to high. This allows the tester to start but freezes on the startup screen, presumably because the main ATmega chip waits for more handshake signals from the STC chip.

Has anyone captured these signals? Could someone with a working TC1 and a scope / logic analyzer please capture them?

(Pin 7 and 8 from U4 which is the STC chip to pins 10 and 11 of the main ATmega chip which are PD1 and PD2)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 06:12:42 pm by djnz »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6219 on: May 24, 2020, 06:46:49 pm »
That won't help you much since U4 doesn't support reading its firmware for copying it to another MCU. You can only write it. The better solution is to mod the TC1 to be compatible with the OSHW firmwares and use one of those. One way is to program U4 with an alternative firmware (https://github.com/atar-axis/tc1-u4) and the other one is to replace it with a two-transistor circuit which also wastes less power (TC1-Mod.kicad.tgz at https://github.com/madires/Transistortester-Warehouse/tree/master/Hardware).

Offline djnz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6220 on: May 24, 2020, 07:51:15 pm »
Thanks for your reply, madires. The LCR T1 belongs to a colleague so I am hesitant to change the firmware. I myself have an AY-AT made from a kit and am very happy with it.

I was thinking I could write my own firmware for the STC to emulate the out-of-box behavior. Or perhaps use it as an excuse to dabble with some Padauks...

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6221 on: May 26, 2020, 09:02:16 pm »
Some good news for the Arduino afficionados. ;D I'm currently working on adding support for ATmega 1280/2560 to the m-firmware and added a few configuration switches to deal with the Arduino boards. Just in case someone likes to design a TransistorTester shield. ;)

The following users thanked this post: all_repair, Shock, Tech_JA, denimdragon, Jacon

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6222 on: May 26, 2020, 11:45:28 pm »
Some good news for the Arduino afficionados. ;D I'm currently working on adding support for ATmega 1280/2560 to the m-firmware and added a few configuration switches to deal with the Arduino boards. Just in case someone likes to design a TransistorTester shield. ;)

I gave a guy a nanoVNA  for designing an AR488  Uno GPIB-USB shield which is just a bare PCB that takes care of routing the wires.  If someone wants to design an OSHW  tester shield for the Mega, I'll be happy to pay for the cost of prototypes.

Have Fun!
Reg
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 11:52:40 pm by rhb »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6223 on: May 27, 2020, 09:37:41 am »
And if that someone likes to add one of the frequency counter options (basic/extended) to the shield I recommend to add a jumper to select PD7 or PE5 as frequency input for the MCU. The k-firmware's frequency counter needs a timer input pin which also supports pin--change interrupts. For the ATmega 2560 that would be PE6 (T3/INT6). Unfortunately the Arduino Mega doesn't provide PE6 at any of its female headers, but there's a work-around. Directly at the MCU PE6 (pin 8 ) can be easily bridged with PE5 (pin 7) which is available via the headers. The m-firmware uses PD7 (T0) as frequency input which is Arduino's 38.

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6224 on: May 27, 2020, 01:24:30 pm »

Hi!
I adapted m-firmware 1.39m for clone BSideESR02(DTU-1701).
Inside the firmware archive in English for 2 frequencies of quartz 8 and 16 MHz, as well as configuration files for the madires collection. I also added a new beautiful edited font 8x8vf_win1251 for the madires collection. ;)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 01:28:52 pm by indman »

The following users thanked this post: all_repair, madires, rhb, edavid, de_light

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf