Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3451004 times)

Offline aristarchus

• Regular Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #6400 on: August 11, 2020, 12:58:36 pm »
here you have some tested files
of course, recompile with your crystal frequency, I have 16Mhz version hex/eep files.
just change extension for ComponentTester - Copie.hex into ComponentTester.eep.
regards,pierre

Thank you.
The board here has 8MHz crystal, can I just remove the old one and simply install instead a new 16MHz crystal?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #6401 on: August 11, 2020, 01:39:53 pm »
Keep it simple is good. I like it. But what do you thing about an adapter PCB like it is for testing optocouplers. A small PCB with additional electronic which will be pluged in the texttool socket and even has got an own socket?

On this PCB is a selectable voltage source for different gate voltages, powered from the boost converter. Selection has to be done manually, e.g. with a DIP switch. The tester will not trigger the device under test directly, it will trigger an additional transistor (bosster/driver stage). This transistor will power the gate of the DUT and you can measure lot's of values. This will be possible with any tester which has got and boost for Z-Diode testing. You have to calibarate this PCB before to know the characteristics of the booster.

Of course there are also some disadvantages, e.g. you need to know which pin is Gate, etc.

I think a good idea would be to design a tester especially for power semiconductors. With the ability to limit currents/voltages it should be possible to detect pinouts as the Transistortester does. After detecting the component high current/voltage checks could be performed to measure the component's parameters. An addon adapter doesn't make much sense because you also need an additional power supply. A 9V battery isn't able to power that. So it's more reasonable to have a Power-Transistortester with everything included.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6402 on: August 11, 2020, 01:41:41 pm »
The board here has 8MHz crystal, can I just remove the old one and simply install instead a new 16MHz crystal?

Yep, and no need to update the fuse bits.

The following users thanked this post: aristarchus

Offline aristarchus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6403 on: August 11, 2020, 02:06:59 pm »

Yep, and no need to update the fuse bits.

Ok, thanks!
Will go and get a 16MHz to replace.

One more question.
I did manage to have the compile ok with various settings.
Also I perform the programming for the Atmega238P with a AVRDragon under the AVRStudio tools, I use the eep & hex files produced from the previous compilation and I put fuses as E=0xFC H=0xD6 L=0xF7.

The problem is that I can flash with plain ISP method only new/blank 328P chips, if I flash them and put the fuses as above I can re-programm them only with parallel/HVPP programming and not with ISP.
Can I do something so to re-program the Atmega328P with plain ISP method?

/Edit: Is it something from the fuses that can be tweaked?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 03:34:06 pm by aristarchus »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6404 on: August 11, 2020, 05:59:57 pm »
Please try H=0xD9.

The following users thanked this post: aristarchus

Offline aristarchus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6405 on: August 12, 2020, 11:37:35 am »
Yes, is is 0xD9 (sorry, obviously I mistyped above) and it does not allow ISP on a already programmed chip.
No problem anyway, I can reflash with HVPP, it just needs 20 or so cables but it does the job.

Found the reason for this, I do remove the atmega328p chip from its board and place it on the AvrDragon to flash it, whereas that is ok in other situations, it should not be done when the fuses are set to have external crystal..

Offline perieanuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6406 on: August 12, 2020, 03:55:07 pm »
here you have some tested files
of course, recompile with your crystal frequency, I have 16Mhz version hex/eep files.
just change extension for ComponentTester - Copie.hex into ComponentTester.eep.
regards,pierre

Thank you.
hi, of course you can put 16MHz crystal.Chances are the crystal's capacitors will work, if not just change them with those indicated in crystal's datasheet.
normally like madires said keep the correct fuses and it works by isp, I use only isp method.
my fuses are lfuse=0xF7 hfuse=0xD9 efuse=0xFC (or 04) and FF for lockbyte on my 16MHz AY-AT tester
best regards, pierre

The following users thanked this post: elecdonia, aristarchus

Offline Szybkijanek

• Contributor
« Reply #6407 on: August 13, 2020, 12:53:13 pm »
Hi friends,
which version LCR meter is actually best? This from Reply #6352? I have LCR-T4 and LC-100A but LC-100A is very bad, I replaced inductor but isn't better so the version indman has?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 01:36:45 pm by Szybkijanek »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6408 on: August 13, 2020, 02:27:15 pm »
There's a common misunderstanding about the Transistortester being an LCR meter. It isn't, but it can measure L, C and R within some limits, and the k-firmware's SamplingADC function allows to measure also low value L/Cs. Inexpensive LC meters like the LC-100A are basically a simple LC oscillator plus a frequency counter. The Transistortester is presumably a little bit more accurate for capacitors above 1µF. Proper LCR meters, for example DER-EE DE-5000, apply an AC signal and measure voltage and current.

The AY-AT/GM328A is a nice general purpose Transistortester clone. However, I'd recommend to get a proper LCR meter if the LC-100A doesn't work for you.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Fan

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6409 on: August 13, 2020, 03:38:31 pm »
Hi friends,
which version LCR meter is actually best?

I fully support the madires' thoughts on LCR! I have a quality DE-5000, but not as an advertisement, I also want to draw your attention to an affordable DIY kits LCR-bridge XJW01, which I use quite often and which in some cases is more convenient in terms of observing the measurement results. Sorry that may have deviated from the topic on the transistor tester. :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 03:51:15 pm by indman »

Offline Szybkijanek

• Contributor
« Reply #6410 on: August 13, 2020, 04:23:30 pm »
Ok but AY-AT/GM328A not test Zener diode wright? You have right about this basic projects as LC meters. I look one of this: PINTEK LCR-900 and have next question, what is difference between measure L, C, with professional LCR meter 100kHz freq. and e. g. 10MHz, difference is in measuring accuracy on smallest values L and C?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6411 on: August 14, 2020, 01:14:43 pm »
The frequency of the AC test signal has an impact on the measurement range and the 100kHz are a common frequency for measuring a capacitor's ESR. If you have questions about specific LCR meters or about which one to choose please start a new thread.

Offline Chuck Norris

« Reply #6412 on: August 14, 2020, 02:14:05 pm »
Hi! Thank you and congrats for this cool firmware!
I've installed the 1.40m on my T7 and it works very well.

I'm running into a small problem tho:
When it shuts down after the timeout, and when I turn it back on, it's stuck on "Bye!"
I have to remove the battery to turn it on again.
Any idea of where it's coming from? It doesn't happen when I manually turn it off.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6413 on: August 14, 2020, 03:59:10 pm »
Could be a problem with the power control, i.e. the MCU keeps running. Have you reprogrammed U4 or are you using the hardware mod?

Offline Chuck Norris

« Reply #6414 on: August 14, 2020, 04:10:45 pm »
I've reprogrammed U4

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6415 on: August 14, 2020, 07:11:40 pm »
Does PD2's level change to low when the tester switches off?

Offline Chuck Norris

« Reply #6416 on: August 14, 2020, 07:32:44 pm »
yes, PD2 is
high when I turn on the tester
low when it shuts down
low when I turn it on again and it displays 'Bye!'

I've reflashed U4 a few times, no errors, but it doesn't change anything.

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6417 on: August 15, 2020, 08:39:21 am »
I'm running into a small problem tho:
When it shuts down after the timeout, and when I turn it back on, it's stuck on "Bye!"
I have to remove the battery to turn it on again.
Any idea of where it's coming from? It doesn't happen when I manually turn it off.

Several owners of such clones on the Russian-language forum also drew attention to a similar problem.
There are several options for solving this problem:
1.Remove the U4 chip and replace it with the 2-transistor power control circuit suggested by madires.
2. Replace the U4 chip with a similar one, but with a + 5V power supply (STC15F104W).
3. Remove the DC SL diode from the circuit, which is connected to 2pin U4 from the 78L05 stabilizer
100% solution to this problem is 1st option :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 08:42:31 am by indman »

Offline Chuck Norris

« Reply #6418 on: August 15, 2020, 12:46:11 pm »
Thank you Indman & Madires,
now that I know U4 is the problem I will investigate it further.
(3rd solution does't do any good  ;) )

Offline Chuck Norris

« Reply #6419 on: August 15, 2020, 01:41:54 pm »
Thank you Indman & Madires,
now that I know U4 is the problem I will investigate it further.
(3rd solution does't do any good  ;) )

I thought I'd have fun debugging the thing, but nope.
I just had to recompile the u4.hex. I was using the one in the Objects directory, but the source must have been modified since.
So after recompiling it works flawlessly with the T7.
I've attached the u4.hex if anyone's interested.

Offline cz939

« Reply #6420 on: August 17, 2020, 08:27:09 pm »
Congratulations!
Did you measure and note some more characteristic voltages and signals in the "bad" system? Could you share them?
Could you also provide more info on the U4 FW - links, versions and dates? What tools did you use?
[It seems the only source is https://github.com/atar-axis/tc1-u4 - binaries are 1 day/update off!]
Probably presenting of proper settings for T7/TC1 M324PA would be also very helpful for many.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 12:12:55 am by cz939 »

Offline avr

« Reply #6421 on: August 18, 2020, 10:12:34 am »
Hi

I have a LCR T4 and I have update it to 1.13k firmware version (with the files inside mega328_GM328 folder) and it works well. Now, I want to test the 1.40 M firmware but I can't find how to modify the files to fit my device.

I have used this guide: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg1011926/#msg1011926 and I have completed the compilation, but when I uploaded the firmware to the transistor tester the screen was very dark, the letters are reversed but the device measures well the components. So I don' t know how to adapt the 1.40M files to my transistor tester. Could you help me?

Thanks

Offline K595

« Reply #6422 on: August 18, 2020, 10:29:02 am »
Добрый день. Хочу обратится к madires. Уменя есть купленный на aliexpress оригинальный Hiland m644 и подключенный дисплей ILI9341, который работает в программном SPI, и я не могу заставить его работать через аппаратный SPI. Прилагаю два фрагмента файла config_644.h, работающий, и не работающий. Я хотел бы чтобы вы объяснили, что я делаю не так. Можно было бы оставить как есть, с программным SPI, но уж очень хочется докопаться до подробностей.

Translated by moderator (using Google Translate)

Good day. I would like to contact madires. I have an original Hiland m644 bought on aliexpress and an ILI9341 display connected that works in software SPI, and I cannot get it to work through hardware SPI. I am attaching two fragments of the config_644.h file, working and not working. I would like you to explain what I am doing wrong. It could be left as is, with software SPI, but I really want to get to the bottom of the details.

Moderator comment: This user has also been notified via PM to keep posts in English for everyones benefit. EEVblog welcomes all, however it's difficult to moderate non-English posts. Let's keep it simple for everyone.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 10:46:33 am by Halcyon »

Offline aristarchus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6423 on: August 18, 2020, 10:36:22 am »
Hi

I have a LCR T4 and I have update it to 1.13k firmware version (with the files inside mega328_GM328 folder) and it works well. Now, I want to test the 1.40 M firmware but I can't find how to modify the files to fit my device.

I have used this guide: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/msg1011926/#msg1011926 and I have completed the compilation, but when I uploaded the firmware to the transistor tester the screen was very dark, the letters are reversed but the device measures well the components. So I don' t know how to adapt the 1.40M files to my transistor tester. Could you help me?

Thanks

Read the provided CLONES text document, it is included in ComponentTester-1.40m.tgz

Then, modify the Makefile, config.h and config_328.h with the appropriate parameters from the CLONES document.
I am not sure but it should be the T3/T4 paragraph of settings in CLONES.

These are described in the 1.40m document here
https://github.com/madires/Transistortester-Warehouse/blob/master/Documentation/English/ctester-1.40m.pdf
"1.8. Building the firmware", page 9
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 10:46:22 am by aristarchus »

Offline K595

« Reply #6424 on: August 18, 2020, 11:01:10 am »
Thank you, I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf