Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3451545 times)

jellytot, indman and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #6525 on: October 09, 2020, 10:09:44 am »
Do you have a Hiland M644 or a DYI version with the extended frequency counter? Have you checked the oscillator frequency of the extended frequency counter with a scope?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 10:12:19 am by madires »

Offline Dumidan

• Contributor
« Reply #6526 on: October 09, 2020, 11:15:46 am »
Hello everybody!  I'm new to the forum, but old in electronics! ;)

I have a request for indman: please tell me with what software you compiled the 1.41m version. I have an M328 AY-AT on which I want to put the 1.41m software customized (special thanks madires!). I tried make in Debian and cygwin / Win7-64; I have compilation errors in both variants. I get error messages that some variables are not declared.

Thank you.§

Online indman

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: morgan_flint, Vague, de_light, Dumidan

Offline Dumidan

• Contributor
« Reply #6528 on: October 09, 2020, 01:27:10 pm »
indman thanks for the quick reply, but ...

I downloaded the tools package, I installed it according to README. I ran pn and got the same error message!

> "make.exe" all
avr-gcc -mmcu=atmega328 -Wall -I. -Ibitmaps -DF_CPU=8000000UL -DOSC_STARTUP=16384 -gdwarf-2 -std=gnu99 -Os -mcall-prologues -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -MD -MP -MT main.o -MF dep/main.o.d -c main.c
main.c: In function 'Show_Fail':
main.c:360: error: 'Failed1_str' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:360: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
main.c:360: error: for each function it appears in.)
main.c:361: error: 'Failed2_str' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c: In function 'Show_Error':
main.c:376: error: 'DischargeFailed_str' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c: In function 'Show_BJT':
main.c:1095: error: 'BJT_str' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c: In function 'Show_ThyristorTriac':
main.c:1567: error: 'Thyristor_str' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:1573: error: 'Triac_str' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c: In function 'Show_PUT':
main.c:1608: error: 'PUT_str' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c: In function 'Show_UJT':
main.c:1643: error: 'UJT_str' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c: In function 'PowerOff':
main.c:1728: error: 'Bye_str' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c: In function 'ShowBattery':
main.c:1758: error: 'Battery_str' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:1788: error: 'Low_str' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:1795: error: 'Weak_str' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:1802: error: 'OK_str' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c: In function 'main':
main.c:1985: error: 'Timeout_str' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:1986: error: 'Error_str' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:2103: error: 'Tester_str' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:2263: error: 'Probing_str' undeclared (first use in this function)
make.exe: *** [main.o] Error 1

> Process Exit Code: 2
> Time Taken: 00:03

Where is the mistake? How do I solve the problem?
Please explain to me in more detail, I am a beginner in programming.

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6529 on: October 09, 2020, 01:55:28 pm »
Dumidan,publish your madires 1.41m source folder where you are compiling?
You can zip  file archive
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 02:02:24 pm by indman »

Offline Szybkijanek

• Contributor
« Reply #6530 on: October 09, 2020, 05:15:52 pm »
I have Hiland M644 with 8MHz resonator. No, no i didn't check and now it's impossible. My conclusions: when run freq counter and try measure BNC, HF and LF I have in dedicated places is still "0" value. I have DMM with L measure so connect probes to BNC Tester because this is generator 1,394kHz and voilà - DMM "unlock" tester and now I can take a measurement so BNC work, LF work because have 2 small different resonators and HF work, max freq I get 28MHZ (49MHz not anymore) but in this HF counter mode is one problem - I can't take measurement near 8MHz and 16MHz. When put this resonators I have ca 800kHz. So what's going on here?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 05:21:30 pm by Szybkijanek »

Offline Dumidan

• Contributor
« Reply #6531 on: October 10, 2020, 08:58:18 am »
This is the folder with the custom version. We modified some values of constants, according to the parts on the PCB, values actually measured.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6532 on: October 10, 2020, 09:08:08 am »
I can't take measurement near 8MHz and 16MHz. When put this resonators I have ca 800kHz. So what's going on here?

The best way for finding the cause in this case is to start with the hardware. Therefore I asked for checking the oscillators.

BTW, the theoretical maximum of the frequency counter is 1/4 MCU clock * precscaler (for 8 MHz: 2 MHz * 16 = 32 MHz). Based on the ICs used for the oscillators that limit can be lower.

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6533 on: October 10, 2020, 09:21:31 am »
This is the folder with the custom version. We modified some values of constants, according to the parts on the PCB, values actually measured.
Madires does not yet support Romanian language, so there are compilation errors. Add #include "var_romanian.h" line to variables.h file
I compiled the firmware from your archive, but it is 129% in size and will not fit into ATMega328 memory. You need to disable those options  config.h that you do not use very often.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 09:44:42 am by indman »

The following users thanked this post: Dumidan

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6534 on: October 10, 2020, 02:12:21 pm »
I've added Dumidan's var_romanian.h to the source code.

Offline Dumidan

• Contributor
« Reply #6535 on: October 10, 2020, 05:13:28 pm »
indman thanks for the directions. I managed to compile after correcting the omission from variables.h and I changed / supplemented the translation var_romanian.h (it is my contribution to the project, after I check its functionality, I will send it to madires to add it, if it wants).

After reducing the options, I reached "only" 117.9% flash and 102.8% EEPROM.  :D
Let's see what else I get out of the program ...
Beginner's question of m328 programming: can an external 24Cxx memory be used to store some of the program's routines? I know that this way the original hardware configuration is no longer respected, but I would be willing to build a multitester variant with m328p, 24cxx, frequency meter extensions, quartz crystal testing, zenner diodes, optocouplers ...Am I just a dreamer? Or is it possible?

Offline Fenichel

• Contributor
« Reply #6536 on: October 10, 2020, 09:42:09 pm »
  I have one of these testers that I got as a Banggood kit in October 2015.  It was working well, but over a few minutes today the screen lost most, and then all, contrast.  As a result, I can't bring up its menu to adjust the contrast, because I can't tell where in the menu system I am, or if I've even got into it.  Installing a fresh battery doesn't help.

Because I can't interrogate it through its own menus, I can't tell what version of the software it has.  FWIW, it has a 1" x 2" blue/white monochrome graphic screen and a 28-pin ZIF socket on a 2.5" x 3" red PCB.  The processor is an ATMega328.

Of course, the display unit could have irreversibly failed, in which case I'll just get a whole new kit from Banggood (or elsewhere, if the old tester hands here have a recommendation).  Before I do that, is there a reset worth attempting?

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6537 on: October 11, 2020, 09:41:29 am »
Beginner's question of m328 programming: can an external 24Cxx memory be used to store some of the program's routines? I know that this way the original hardware configuration is no longer respected, but I would be willing to build a multitester variant with m328p, 24cxx, frequency meter extensions, quartz crystal testing, zenner diodes, optocouplers ...Am I just a dreamer? Or is it possible?
All this is possible, but it will be a completely different project with different software. The authors adhere to the original version hardware of the project and this is supported by many. You can use a processor with more memory than the ATMega328 and enable features and modes that do not fit in 32KB of memory. ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 10:00:28 am by indman »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6538 on: October 11, 2020, 09:57:30 am »
indman thanks for the directions. I managed to compile after correcting the omission from variables.h and I changed / supplemented the translation var_romanian.h (it is my contribution to the project, after I check its functionality, I will send it to madires to add it, if it wants).

If you send me an updated version I'll add it.

Beginner's question of m328 programming: can an external 24Cxx memory be used to store some of the program's routines?

The ATmega's architecture doesn't support that. Better go for an ATmega644 or 1284.

Offline Dumidan

• Contributor
« Reply #6539 on: October 11, 2020, 09:57:53 am »
I've added Dumidan's var_romanian.h to the source code.

Thanks madires for adding, but i think the file is only valid for ver. 1.40m. I am attaching the translation for 1.41m which has some modifications, according to the original from English.

The following users thanked this post: madires

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6540 on: October 11, 2020, 10:06:04 am »
  I have one of these testers that I got as a Banggood kit in October 2015.  It was working well, but over a few minutes today the screen lost most, and then all, contrast.  As a result, I can't bring up its menu to adjust the contrast, because I can't tell where in the menu system I am, or if I've even got into it.  Installing a fresh battery doesn't help.

Because I can't interrogate it through its own menus, I can't tell what version of the software it has.  FWIW, it has a 1" x 2" blue/white monochrome graphic screen and a 28-pin ZIF socket on a 2.5" x 3" red PCB.  The processor is an ATMega328.

Could be a bad display. If you post a picture of your tester we might be able to tell you the display controller.

Offline Dumidan

• Contributor
« Reply #6541 on: October 11, 2020, 10:41:58 am »
@madires:

To clarify any confusions, I am attaching the files with the Romanian translation for the 1.40m and 1.41m versions. I also tried a size optimization using some abbreviations. I will try to do translations in Romanian for the next versions as well - if Karl agrees, I will translate the last 2-3 versions of it plus the following ones. A good day!

The following users thanked this post: madires

Offline Fenichel

• Contributor
Reply to #6540
« Reply #6542 on: October 11, 2020, 04:37:58 pm »
  Thanks for your rapid response.  Here are two pictures of my tester, one complete, and one with the display removed.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6543 on: October 11, 2020, 05:02:45 pm »
That's an M328Kit with an ST7565 based 2.4" display (SPI interface).

Offline Fenichel

• Contributor
« Reply #6544 on: October 11, 2020, 05:20:40 pm »
That's an M328Kit with an ST7565 based 2.4" display (SPI interface).
OK.
  • Is there a likely fix, or is it more likely that the display has irreversibly died?  If the latter,
  • Is it worth trying to obtain a replacement display? Or, if it makes more sense to get a whole new tester,
  • Is there a specific version & source that has come to be recommended since I got my tester 5 years ago?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6545 on: October 11, 2020, 06:37:02 pm »
Basically you can use any supported display with an SPI interface as a replacement. You just need to compile a new firmware with the matching driver enabled. It's up to you to decide whether to buy a replacement display or a new tester. If you go for a new tester I'd recommend one with an ATmega644 and a rotary encoder.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 06:38:58 pm by madires »

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6546 on: October 12, 2020, 08:09:29 am »
  I have one of these testers that I got as a Banggood kit in October 2015.  It was working well, but over a few minutes today the screen lost most, and then all, contrast.  As a result, I can't bring up its menu to adjust the contrast, because I can't tell where in the menu system I am, or if I've even got into it.
You need to understand the reason why the display has lost image. If you have a multimeter, then first of all you can check the + 5V supply voltage, which goes to the LM1117 integrated stabilizer. The output of the stabilizer should be 3.3V. I have shown in the photo the points that need to be checked.You can also check the voltage that should come to the display backlight. The backlight LED may be damaged  ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 03:44:06 pm by indman »

Offline Fenichel

• Contributor
« Reply #6547 on: October 12, 2020, 11:30:50 pm »
  Thanks for your interest.  The voltages at U1 are 3V3 and +5V as they should be.  At BL, I see +2.65V.   The VSS & VDD points are GND and +5V.

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6548 on: October 13, 2020, 07:12:11 am »
Fenichel,the display is likely to be working properly. When you press the Test button, does the display backlight come on? You can try to update the ATMega328 firmware located here
https://www.mikrocontroller.net/svnbrowser/transistortester/Software/trunk/mega328_st7565_kit/
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 07:22:29 am by indman »

Offline Maniaxx

• Contributor
  • sys2064
« Reply #6549 on: October 13, 2020, 01:29:25 pm »
The TC-1 has a color display, IR receiver module and boost converter for the Zener check (up to about 35V). And it comes with an ATmega324 or 644
Can't that Zenerboost be used for TRIACS as well?

TC1 with 644? I think that would be the best base device to start with at the moment. I couldn't find one though. Anyone know a reliable source for TC1/644 devices?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf