Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3451809 times)

bffargo and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline elepo

• Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #7475 on: March 02, 2022, 11:53:50 am »
OK I found this post https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/lcr-t4-mtester-v2-07-lcr-meter-black-block-issue/msg872669/#msg872669 and I think I have figured the pinouts. I finally managed to get "something" into the display. Gonna play with it a bit.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #7476 on: March 02, 2022, 12:06:54 pm »
Have you tried the settings for the T3/T4 clones listed in the Clones file? There are two different pinouts for the display.
Which file exactly? I have the clone comparison PDF and the models PDF but they don't have the pinouts.

The source code of the m-firmware comes with a file named 'Clones'.

The following users thanked this post: elepo

Offline elepo

• Contributor
« Reply #7477 on: March 02, 2022, 12:16:04 pm »
The source code of the m-firmware comes with a file named 'Clones'.

Ah yes. The configs are listed there and they work.
Thanks yet again.

Offline elepo

• Contributor
« Reply #7478 on: March 02, 2022, 05:01:11 pm »
I've faced another problem.
In my clone (LCR-T4) the PD4(T0) pin is connected to LCD reset.
The documentation keeps saying it can be shared with the LCD but it can't.
When I open the frequency counter or ring tester function, after a few seconds the LCD is reset and I only see a green screen until I reset the device.
 |O

Is there any hope for me?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7479 on: March 02, 2022, 05:21:41 pm »
No surprises there! Sharing the display's reset line with another signal doesn't work, but sharing SCK or MOSI works fine. You can blame the clone designer for the poor pin assignment. As work-around you could cut the trace and hardwire the LCD's reset line via a resistor to 3.3V.

Offline elepo

• Contributor
« Reply #7480 on: March 02, 2022, 05:59:42 pm »
No surprises there! Sharing the display's reset line with another signal doesn't work, but sharing SCK or MOSI works fine. You can blame the clone designer for the poor pin assignment.

Is the reset functionality not needed at all?
It's listed as "optional" in the config file but I'm not sure how optional it is.

As work-around you could cut the trace and hardwire the LCD's reset line via a resistor to 3.3V.
Ugh that's really undesirable but I guess I have no choice.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7481 on: March 02, 2022, 06:59:25 pm »
It's nice to have the MCU control /RESET and /CS, but to save pins you can hardwire both. That's the reason why both signals are optional in the configuration. Some clones have hardwired /CS for example. However, there can be also drawbacks based on the specific pin assignment. WIth a hardwired /CS no other SPI chips can be attached to the bus, like a touchscreen controller.

Offline elepo

• Contributor
« Reply #7482 on: March 02, 2022, 07:10:38 pm »
It's nice to have the MCU control /RESET and /CS, but to save pins you can hardwire both. That's the reason why both signals are optional in the configuration. Some clones have hardwired /CS for example. However, there can be also drawbacks based on the specific pin assignment. WIth a hardwired /CS no other SPI chips can be attached to the bus, like a touchscreen controller.

I see. I'll probably cut the trace then.
Mine has CS shorted to gnd.

Offline Regina

« Reply #7483 on: March 05, 2022, 12:30:12 am »
I, I'm new here. Not a total newb, but skills are mad rusty. A google search of the fish48840 led me here. Rather than searching the 300 pages here, can I just be lazy and ask what some common problems it may have where it will not turn on at all? It worked years ago when I bought it, but now seems dead. No electrolytic or tants in sight. What could be wrong with this thing. Not advanced enough to be updating firmware and the like. Just want to be able to use it again. I tried the test button down for the 3+ seconds, but nothing, not even backlight. Any ideas? I don't have an ESR tester and usually don't have to mess with surface mount. I mean, I guess I could if I had to, but not something I am used to. Not like lifting a lead of a cap and checking it out of circuit.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7484 on: March 05, 2022, 11:36:07 am »
Welcome to the forum! First thing to check is the power supply. When you push the test button does the voltage regulator output 5V?

Offline BDX18

« Reply #7485 on: March 09, 2022, 09:52:36 am »
Howdy,

I decided to get one of these testers, but based on what I saw on eBay and read here (the last 10 pages), looks to me there are many different versions, and I presume some may be better than others.

Can someone recommend me a few models that would be good buys for one reason or another?

Obviously, I want something that can be updated to the latest firmware -- that's a must.
Having a faster CPU, more memory, a better LCD or a case are all nice to have.

Offline Feliciano

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7486 on: March 09, 2022, 12:17:25 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Because there are many options available of hardware and/or firmware, I would start by looking the clone comparison chart posted on the last couple of pages (shared by indman and madires). Knowing which specs and options each hardware offers, you can narrow your choices.

And after you buy it and you're familiar with it, you can flash an OSHW firmware to further improve that.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 02:17:15 pm by Feliciano »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7487 on: March 23, 2022, 06:42:47 pm »
Anyone speaking Hungarian? A user from Hungary needs some help with the firmware.

Offline yo0

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7488 on: March 23, 2022, 07:46:29 pm »
Any comments about this model?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOqwxsG

Best regards

Pio

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7489 on: March 24, 2022, 10:04:57 am »
Looks like a GM328A with a nicer design. Should be fine.

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7490 on: March 24, 2022, 11:04:48 am »
Any comments about this model?
This model is presented in my table of clones, and photos of its internal content can be viewed in the "GM328A(BGR)1" folder on my resource https://yadi.sk/d/yW8xa5NJgUo5z   ;)

Offline morgan_flint

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7491 on: March 24, 2022, 11:16:42 am »
From indman's photos, it seems to have the components for extended frequency measurement and zener testing... am I right?

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7492 on: March 24, 2022, 11:34:02 am »
it seems to have the components for extended frequency measurement and zener testing... am I right?
No, this clone has the same feature set as the regular GM328A

Offline morgan_flint

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7493 on: March 24, 2022, 07:15:01 pm »
Ok, I thought these components were for the frequency measurement prescaler and zener voltage boost, but they must be for something else

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7494 on: March 24, 2022, 07:28:28 pm »
3 chips that are marked in red are the maintenance of the BGR display, and voltage boost are marked in red is the node for powering the tester from + 5V(USB-ะก,microUSB) ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 07:32:52 pm by indman »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7495 on: March 24, 2022, 07:49:08 pm »
Is that setup similar to the ST7735 semi-compatible display? IIRC, that display had a level shifter and an MCU emulating an ST7735.

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7496 on: March 24, 2022, 07:55:43 pm »
madires,yes, it's 99% likely! ;) It is enough to look at the white frame of the distinctive display to understand that this is a BGR semi-compatible.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 08:15:37 pm by indman »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7497 on: March 24, 2022, 08:21:39 pm »
So LCD_SEMI_ST7735 might work for that new design as well. Let's wait and see.

Offline Feliciano

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7498 on: March 26, 2022, 09:56:54 pm »
But I was thinking, according to indman's table of clones, that it was already supported. Isn't it?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 10:12:21 pm by Feliciano »

Offline DarthMalgus

« Reply #7499 on: March 28, 2022, 11:53:42 am »
Hey guys, after reading a lot about these cheap testers i decided to buy one for myself. There was a post analyzing their differences and i decided to go with this "M328" from aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32797552392.html

Despite the seller pictures i received a black PCB with all SMD components but luckily the 328p processor was socketed. It looks exactly like this tester: https://www.banggood.com/GM328A-LCD-Transistor-Tester-Diode-ESR-Meter-PWM-Square-Wave-Generator-Soldered-Module-p-1384846.html

The firmware was 1.12k on it. I bought a new processor and a 20Mhz crystal and i upgraded to a 1.37m firmware version which i got online. The archive name is "AY-AT-Markus1.37En(20Mhz)" so it should work with the new crystal Found the source of this firmware after posting: https://disk.yandex.ru/d/yW8xa5NJgUo5z/GM328A (It should be compatible)

Now with the new processor and crystal the tester takes 10 seconds to boot up and everything is slow and laggy. My issue is that i don't know how to make the hex and eep files for this tester on my own. Is there a place to get the latest firmware for this clone or any guidance on how to make it myself ?
Did i miss some other important modification to make the tester work with the m-firmware or could this simply be a case of a bad processor or incompatible firmware ?

Thank you
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 11:56:32 am by DarthMalgus »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf