Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3452068 times)

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #7525 on: March 31, 2022, 10:32:44 am »
OK just care to not brick your device...

Paul

Hi Paul, well it didn't brick it but the display is upsided down with a few scrarce pixels lit up.

I traced my config_328.h file that I had used for compiling version 1.31m (that's a long time ago on the mega328_MK-328 from Electronics Studio) and I seem to remember having made changes to the display part to get it right. Wonder if you could take a look and recompile 1.45m with the changes in the config_328.h I have uploaded?

Thanks again Paul!

my pleasure...

BUT! These changes in the header file are not meant for this particular code..

IT DOES NOT COMPILE ...
As said you probably have a different  modified version...

need to match precisely

Paul

The following users thanked this post: rddube

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7526 on: March 31, 2022, 10:36:25 am »
rddube, check the firmware and take new photos from the display. I have included almost all possible functions in the firmware, including continuity check, but in order to use it you need to make a hardware modification of the BUZZER which is listed in the madires manual.
P.S There is a special button on the forum to express gratitude for your help "Say Thanks" ;)

Hello Indman,

It flashes ok, but now it won't turn on...I press power button and it doesn't boot up or turn on? It lights up the screen, but as soon as I let go the switch it turns off without anything appearing on the screen?

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7527 on: March 31, 2022, 10:53:00 am »
OK just care to not brick your device...

Paul

Hi Paul, well it didn't brick it but the display is upsided down with a few scrarce pixels lit up.

I traced my config_328.h file that I had used for compiling version 1.31m (that's a long time ago on the mega328_MK-328 from Electronics Studio) and I seem to remember having made changes to the display part to get it right. Wonder if you could take a look and recompile 1.45m with the changes in the config_328.h I have uploaded?

Thanks again Paul!

my pleasure...

BUT! These changes in the header file are not meant for this particular code..

IT DOES NOT COMPILE ...
As said you probably have a different  modified version...

need to match precisely

Paul

Hi Paul, I guess age is having it's toll on my memory, but I recall using that header file for version 1.31m, but the output back then were .bin files, as shown here in a batch file I had written to upload it to the device: avrdude -c avrisp -p m328p -P COM10 -b 19200 -e -U flash:w:"Mtester207Flash.bin":a -U eeprom:w:"Mtester207Eeprom.bin":a -U lfuse:w:0xF7:m -U hfuse:w:0xD9:m -U efuse:w:0xFC:m . So frankly, I don't remember how it used to work?

But your previous version worked, but the display was upside down, and I think Indman nailed it...just need to tweak for the display. I think Indman is looking at the results from the latest compile (the device won't start) and probably recompile or suggest some fuse changes?

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7528 on: March 31, 2022, 10:55:40 am »
Is this very strange! Did you do a crystal cleanup before updating the firmware? Try 1 more variant of the test firmware. If you get the same effect, install Paul's firmware. Will it work?

Hi Indman, ok will try this out. Not sure what a crystal cleanup is however? Is it explained somewhere?

Also, the manual you are referring to in your archive from Markus, is it possible it is only in Russian?

Many thanks again!!

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7529 on: March 31, 2022, 11:00:54 am »
Not sure what a crystal cleanup is however? Is it explained somewhere?
Also, the manual you are referring to in your archive from Markus, is it possible it is only in Russian?
Just try the new firmware and show me the results. I think I figured out the reason why my first option didn't work. You can easily find the English manual in the distribution package Madires (ReadMe file).

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7530 on: March 31, 2022, 11:07:31 am »
Not sure what a crystal cleanup is however? Is it explained somewhere?
Just try the new firmware and show me the results. I think I figured out the reason why my first option didn't work. You can easily find the English manual in the distribution package Madires (ReadMe file).

Hi Indman, ok it flashed well, when I pressed the test button, screen lighted up and turned off when I let go the test button. So I repressed the test button longer let it go and immediately repressed it and the device started showing version 1.45m perfectly and the probing! I turned it off, and and to "jerk" it again to get it going..it is not smooth, like click and go, I have to "jerk" the test button to get it to start. Also, if I hold long enough or double click the test button, I don't seem to be able to access the functions menu? I can take a video if that would help? When it does start, characters are perfect on the screen.

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7531 on: March 31, 2022, 11:09:30 am »
Also, after fumbling around with it for a few times, it locks up with nothing on the screen just the screen light up and the only way out is to pull the battery.

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7532 on: March 31, 2022, 11:18:28 am »
I reinstalled Paul's version which seems to work fine, but the characters are upside down as in the photos with random pixels? Confused ???

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7533 on: March 31, 2022, 11:46:39 am »
Another firmware option.Will it work?

Eureka! Works fine now, but I can't seem to access the function menu? Is there a special key sequence different than version 1.31m?

Many thanks Indman!

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7534 on: March 31, 2022, 11:48:25 am »
Quickly press the Test button 2 times!

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7535 on: March 31, 2022, 11:52:03 am »
Quickly press the Test button 2 times!

When I quickly press the Test button 2 times, I get a blank screen?? Lit up but blank. I have to turn it off and restart??

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7536 on: March 31, 2022, 11:54:37 am »
Show a video of the device's operation. On the Paul firmware are you also unable to access the menu? Can you take a good photo of the back side of the board where the parts are located?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 11:56:34 am by indman »

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7537 on: March 31, 2022, 12:13:55 pm »
Oh, I think I discovered a cold solder on the switch, will reflow and retest and report back. Sorry about that.

Be right back.

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7538 on: March 31, 2022, 12:25:19 pm »
Oh, I think I discovered a cold solder on the switch, will reflow and retest and report back. Sorry about that.

Be right back.

Yes, exactly that, all is fine now and working perfectly. Thank you Indman and Paul for all your help!!!

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7539 on: March 31, 2022, 12:30:44 pm »
rddube,Test3 is a basic firmware with a minimal number of functions. I put it together to make sure your device is in good working order. In my opinion, Test2 firmware should also work successfully. Try installing it again.

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7540 on: March 31, 2022, 01:52:02 pm »
rddube,Test3 is a basic firmware with a minimal number of functions. I put it together to make sure your device is in good working order. In my opinion, Test2 firmware should also work successfully. Try installing it again.

Hello again,

Ok, so reinstalled Test 2 and it has become erratic again, and there is no way to access the function menu. Put back Test3 and it works flawlessly, except that the function menu doesn't include continuity testing.

So test3 works perfectly, test2 doesnt. Test2 when I press the test button, it flashes and off. I have to jiggle or constant press down let go to get the device to work??

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7541 on: March 31, 2022, 02:16:49 pm »
You need to determine what does not allow full-fledged firmware to work. Try another test version.Where is the PD5(9pin) port of the processor connected? How much current does the tester draw from the power supply?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 02:34:38 pm by indman »

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7542 on: March 31, 2022, 02:48:35 pm »
You need to determine what does not allow full-fledged firmware to work. Try another test version.Where is the PD5(9pin) port of the processor connected? How much current does the tester draw from the power supply?

Hello Indman, bang you nailed it. Works perfectly now with this latest version.

Attached is a photo of the port (mine has 6 pins ?) I think you are referring to.

Thanks again!

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7543 on: March 31, 2022, 03:01:15 pm »
Works perfectly now with this latest version.
Attached is a photo of the port (mine has 6 pins?) I think you are referring to.
No,this programming connector does not interest me. I asked where the 9th leg (pin) of the ATMega328 processor is connected?
This is the pin you will need to connect the buzzer to if you want to use the continuity test.
It is also very important to measure the current that the device consumes from a + 9V power source.
I also see a lot of extra flux on your board, especially on the ZIF test pins. Wash it off!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 06:50:36 pm by indman »

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7544 on: March 31, 2022, 05:46:00 pm »
Ok, so test5 doesn't work, the device doesn't start??

Here are the photos of test4 and my atmega328 chip - pin 9 seems to connect into the board, so I'll probably have to solder on the pin 9 leg.

Test4 works  perfectly!

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7545 on: March 31, 2022, 06:12:47 pm »
Hm, I can't explain it! Maybe madires will find an explanation why only changing the font from 8x8_vf to 8x8alt_win1251_vf leads to a disruption in the firmware? I tested the Test5 firmware in Proteus and it works great. :-//
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 06:18:25 pm by indman »

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7546 on: March 31, 2022, 06:20:23 pm »
Hm, I can't explain it! Maybe madires will find an explanation why only changing the font from 8x8_vf to 8x8alt_win1251_vf leads to a disruption in the firmware? I tested the Test5 firmware in Proteus and it works great. :-//

Could it be the size of the file, as test4 is 89K whereas test5 is 90k?? To be more precise it's 88.2k vs 89.3k ??
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 06:23:04 pm by rddube »

Offline rddube

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7547 on: March 31, 2022, 06:42:57 pm »
Let's check if this is the case. I reduced the firmware size a bit. Try Test6 ;)

No, test6 doesn't work either. I put back Test4 and it's working perfectly??

Offline indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7548 on: March 31, 2022, 06:48:02 pm »
OK! Then we will consider the Test4 version as definitely working for the GM328A + clone and stop there. I will delete the rest of the versions so that they do not mislead users. ;)

Offline wizard1

• Contributor
« Reply #7549 on: April 01, 2022, 06:39:15 am »
Moving to 1.45m on an AY-AT clone I have started to experience phantom selections when scrolling through items in the menu. This doesn't happen with k firmware or the original 1.12k Chinese firmware that came with the tester. I'm using the internal 8Mhz oscillator if that matters at all. Is this expected? I don't see a timeout that would cause this.

No, any menu item should only run when pressing the push button. And there's no timeout for the menu. Are you accidently pushing the rotary encoder's knob while turning?

I'm not accidentally pressing the knob. It's very odd that this only occurs with the m firmware. I'm searching for an alternate rotary encoder to try that. Interestingly when I have my scope hooked up to monitor the pulses from the rotary encoder everything works fine.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf